View Full Version : 3rd time IS the charm!

ibreakhearts66
07-22-2009, 02:12 PM
Passed Intermediate moves today! After I got off the ice, I was almost certain I'd failed. My back power 3s were shaky again because my legs got so tired, then I put a foot down randomly on a bracket because, again, my legs were tired. When they didn't ask for a reskate, I figured that was it, got off the ice and said, "Well, maybe FOURTH time will be the charm."

Big thanks to Kim To The Max for sending me the metronome for the power circles. It made a HUGE difference.

I passed with a 19.2 and two 19.4s. One of the judges was also a judge on my first Int test, and when I took it then, he failed me with either an 18.8 or and 18.7. So I got better by either .6 or .7 by his scores!

Comments (have to wonder if the third judge was even watching the test lol).

Forward Power Circles
3.3 CCW ok, CW weaker side, less power
3.4 CCW good acceleration, CW nice acceleration and control of position and edge
3.2, check mark lol

Backward Power Circles
3.4 CCW good, CW good, stronger
3.4 CCW- good use of edge, good power. CW-nicely done
3.2 check mark

Back power 3s (definitely flubbed this one)
3.1 -Power on back perimeter crossovers (assuming they meant I was lacking in power), Balance on B 3 both ways
3.0 CCW power on stroke lacking/3s ok. CW, weak transitions from foot to foot on stroked 3s
3.2 check mark for CCW, 2nd half weak

Backward double 3-turns (at this point I thought I was going to throw up)
3.3 BO-FI ok, BI-FO ok
3.3 something I can't read, nicely done-could have better extension throughout the body, not just leg
3.2 good edges!

Brackets
3.1 RFO LBI-nice LFO RBI-good (ironically, it is the forward outsides that normally give me the most trouble) RFI LBO ok, LFI (T--for touchdown of the free foot, I assume) and then something I absolutely cannot read
3.1 FO BI, good control of LF, weak edge exit, FI BO nicely skated with good positions. LFI-jumped and weak exit (I think that was referring to the first turn, the second bracket felt good to me)
3.2 FO BI good brackets! LFI weak

So annoyed about that one LFI bracket. It's actually my favorite and normally my best, I was just tired and put a stinkin' foot down

Slide chasse pattern
3.2 Ok balance and control
3.2 Edges good. Extension OK, work on getting through extension completely
3.2 check mark

Also got a "Good Test!" from one of the judges :)

Apparently, half way through my test (as I was getting tired, naturally), my coach went, "OH MY GOD! She's bending her knees! She's bending her knees!" and people asked her if she was crying :lol:

This marks the 7th test I've passed since July 30th, 2008. I COULD have gone for an 8th today, Intermediate free, but decided against it so that I still have the opportunity to compete open-juv if I'm unable to pass my Novice moves next month.

Stormy
07-22-2009, 02:54 PM
OH YAY!!! CONGRATS! This is great to hear, and those are a great improvement on your scores. :bow::bow::bow:

Isk8NYC
07-22-2009, 03:23 PM
Congratulations!

liz_on_ice
07-22-2009, 03:36 PM
Passed Intermediate moves today!

Congrats! Whooooot!

dbny
07-22-2009, 03:59 PM
xxx CONGRATULATIONS! xxx

stardust skies
07-22-2009, 04:11 PM
Congrats!

It apparently won't let me type a message that short.

Kim to the Max
07-22-2009, 04:35 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

See....it did happen!!! :)

ibreakhearts66
07-22-2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks everyone!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

See....it did happen!!! :)

It did it did it did! I was seriously starting to doubt that I'd ever pass that darn test. And thanks again for the metronome, the 3.3s and 3.4s are definitely part yours!

herniated
07-22-2009, 05:22 PM
Congratulations!!!! Whooo Hooo!!!:bow:

Kim to the Max
07-22-2009, 05:35 PM
Thanks everyone!

It did it did it did! I was seriously starting to doubt that I'd ever pass that darn test. And thanks again for the metronome, the 3.3s and 3.4s are definitely part yours!

Nope...it was all you....that metronome is just a tool to get the timing down :) YOU still have to skate it!!

LilJen
07-22-2009, 05:38 PM
Congratulations!!!

KIM: Would love to know how to use the metronome in power circles. I have a little electronic one that'd be very easy to have with me on the ice when I get to that move. . . .

Kim to the Max
07-22-2009, 05:57 PM
Congratulations!!!

KIM: Would love to know how to use the metronome in power circles. I have a little electronic one that'd be very easy to have with me on the ice when I get to that move. . . .

I have an MP3 track that progressively gets quicker and has a little "ta-da" at the end the signal the exit. For each "click" it is a stroke....if you PM me your e-mail address, I can send it to you...

Sorry to hijack this very happy thread!! Congrats again!! :)

Black Sheep
07-22-2009, 06:27 PM
Welcome to the club! 8-)

sexyskates
07-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Wow, Intermediate! Congratulations!!!!

Skate@Delaware
07-22-2009, 08:38 PM
Big CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!

PinkLaces
07-22-2009, 09:03 PM
Wahooooooo! Congrats!

doubletoe
07-22-2009, 09:49 PM
I am so so so so proud of you!!:D:bow:

ibreakhearts66
07-22-2009, 09:54 PM
Thanks again everyone! Like I just said on facebook, I cannot believe I'm actually done with this test. I keep having mini panic attacks because my brain is still saying, "You have to test Intermediate! You have to do power circles! Your brackets are dipping!" Hopefully it will sink in when I realize how much work I have to do on Novice...

Schmeck
07-22-2009, 10:00 PM
Congratulations! You certainly are a determined, hardworking skater!

One thing though - from what my daughter has told me, and what others have said, novice moves is one of the hardest moves tests to pass, especially if you have stamina issues. It's an extremely loooooong test! So please don't be disappointed if it takes even longer to pass than intermediate moves - it's the big hurdle for most skaters, as novice skaters compete at Nationals, so the judges are uber-picky about this level as well. I just don't want you to get discouraged! You can do it - but it's really hard!

ETA: I followed your link to your videos - you have very nice height with your free leg in your spirals - that's very important in novice moves! I think the judges will be very impressed!

ibreakhearts66
07-22-2009, 10:06 PM
Congratulations! You certainly are a determined, hardworking skater!

One thing though - from what my daughter has told me, and what others have said, novice moves is one of the hardest moves tests to pass, especially if you have stamina issues. It's an extremely loooooong test! So please don't be disappointed if it takes even longer to pass than intermediate moves - it's the big hurdle for most skaters, as novice skaters compete at Nationals, so the judges are uber-picky about this level as well. I just don't want you to get discouraged! You can do it - but it's really hard!

Oh, I'm DEFINITELY not expecting Novice to be an easy test for me. I'm not saying I won't get frustrated, but I realize what a difficult test it is. Luckily, I actually enjoy all of the moves on the test, even if I can't do them well (well, all except for the bracket-3-bracket, I agree with most posters on here that it's SCARY!). They feel more like "real" skating to me, whereas some of the other moves feel somewhat robotic to me.

ETA to respond to Schmek's ETA :) I LOVE the Novice spiral sequence. It's my favorite/best spirals, FI and BO. And thanks for the compliment!

Schmeck
07-22-2009, 10:12 PM
So you've already started working on novice moves? That's great!

ibreakhearts66
07-22-2009, 10:16 PM
Yeah, I stared working on them along with Int about a month ago. Love the counters, love the spirals, enjoy the slow rocker choctaws even though I have some issues with them, the quick rocker choctaws and rolling 3s are growing on me and I hate hate HATE bracket-3-bracket :lol:

Kat12
07-23-2009, 06:42 AM
YEAH!!!

That's awesome!

Mrs Redboots
07-23-2009, 10:17 AM
http://dl4.glitter-graphics.net/pub/928/928584azg37ws6rj.jpg (http://www.glitter-graphics.com)

Knew you'd do it sooner or later! Well done.

aussieskater
07-24-2009, 02:33 AM
Best congratulations - that must be a relief. On to Novice...

patatty
07-24-2009, 06:37 AM
Congratulations!!! I'm still working up to taking that test for the second time. Summer sessions are so crowded here that I can't really practice it well, so I'm holding off until the fall. My brackets still need work, and I'm still nursing my bruised ego, since this was the first test that I failed. You must be so relieved. Great job!!

renatele
07-24-2009, 08:24 AM
c o n g r a t u l a t i o n s!!!

Thin-Ice
07-25-2009, 04:03 PM
WOO-HOOOO!!!!!! Congratulations!!!