View Full Version : Running Edge or Scratchy Landing: Practice 7/20-7/26

ibreakhearts66
07-20-2009, 12:05 PM
First time starting a practice thread!

Running edge:
-Prevented a potential meltdown. I started off by popping my first few axels. Instead of getting flustered and frustrated, I said, "I am NOT starting the week like this" and proceeded to land my jumps.
-Quick rocker choctaws are improving, as are Int power 3s.
-Did some perfectly quiet, solid FO brackets. No scraping of the blade, no toe scratches.
-Jumps were bigger than ever today

Scratchy Landing:
-still can't manage to get rid of the wrap on my landings. My air position is fine DURING the jump, but as I go to land, the foot comes up and I wrap as I check out.
-Joining the bracket-3-bracket hate club. Finally tried it full speed today. Bracket-3-SPLAT. Pretty epic fall, but didn't hurt too badly.

liz_on_ice
07-21-2009, 09:03 AM
Scratchy Landing: coach has torn apart my forward outside edge rolls entirely, I'm now struggling to do this correctly. This is something I thought I did great. :roll: It's good he's being picky, I like it, really. le sigh.

Running Edge - worked on sit spins in practice, really concentrating on things from my notes. Got one pretty good one, I feel like I can bring this up to scratch if I just concentrate steadily instead of practicing mindlessly.

PinkLaces
07-21-2009, 09:10 AM
Running Edges Had lesson with my coach today. She liked my scratch spin. She scratched an A+ in the ice. She's pretty tough so I felt like that was an accomplishment. She is happy with the progress on 5 Step Mohawk pattern.

Scratchy Landing Loop jump - I only mangaged to do 3-4 with the foot in front the whole time. Flip was just not happening. I feel sad about this, because it used to be my fav jump when I was younger.

Power 3's - I told coach about how no matter what I try I flub the 1st right 3. She started breaking it down for me and realized that my blade placement may be off on the left foot. In a way, it's a relief that there may be something wrong with the blade. In another way, I'm nervous about getting it moved and having the problem be me after all ;)

antmanb
07-21-2009, 09:19 AM
Scratchy Landing

I have come down with man flu (an orindary cold to those who don't know!) so have not ventured out on the ice this week at all until my nose stops streaming and head stops hurting :giveup:

Ant

dbny
07-21-2009, 10:56 AM
Power 3's - I told coach about how no matter what I try I flub the 1st right 3. She started breaking it down for me and realized that my blade placement may be off on the left foot. In a way, it's a relief that there may be something wrong with the blade. In another way, I'm nervous about getting it moved and having the problem be me after all ;)

If it's only the very first RFO three that's bothering you, it doesn't make sense to me that it's the blade. More likely where your weight is or your timing. Are you stepping wide when you push forward? That can do it.

SkatEn
07-21-2009, 11:56 AM
Skated for the first time since about a week.

Scratchy Landing:
-Kept falling on back sit, something that was in hand. No falls for combo with backsit.
-Lots of stupid falls, as if I just changed my blades! I think I'm still not very used to them!
-I lost my feeling for axels.:frus:
-Taped ankle was fine, but the tape made my foot sticky

Running Edge:
-Everything felt much more effortless. I credit that to cheer training and doing push ups and crunches on my own! I could do 3-bracket-3 with so much ease and take my own sweet time!
-Sit spin was pretty low and I tried grabbing the free foot while its straight (not sure what it's called). :?:

Not a satisfying skate since I was not into it. :x

doubletoe
07-21-2009, 06:14 PM
Running Edge

My axel was perfect from the new setup I'm using in my program! Yay!

Scratchy Landing

My actual program run-through from Sunday looked AWFUL when I finally got up the courage to watch the video last night. I didn't have the strength/stamina to get all the way down on my sitspins or make it through my final jump and spin, and the overall impression was sloppy, choreographically blah. . . and sloooww. Sigh. With this new program, you'd think I'd never skated before in my life. :(

blue111moon
07-22-2009, 07:32 AM
Very productive session yesterday. My regular coach is on vacation so I had my second lesson with Venerable Coach, a wonderful lady who's probably forgotten more than most coaches ever learn. I can't whine about being old, either, because she's older and way more active than I am. :)

Running edges: spins!!! The sit sat, the backspin rotated, and the scratch centered, seemingly without any effort on my part. :) There are issues with head and hands positions but VC was pleased (and so was I.) Jumps are actually getting some lift back. Surprisingly, my least favorite jump (of the ones I can do now), the loop, was the neatest of the lot. As for the dances, the issue there is that my edges are TOO strong, so it throws the pattern off. But I'm remembering the steps most of the time now.

Scratchy landings: too much scratching! :) I haven't learned to deal with the height I'm getting on the easier jumps now and all the landings sound horrible. And the Canasta "needs a tango attitude." VC says my slide chasse needs major work as well, especially if I'm testing in the fall. *sigh* Who would have thought that knee bend comes from the ankle? :??

liz_on_ice
07-22-2009, 12:13 PM
Running Edge - I went and watched a test session this morning. It was exciting and loads of fun. There were even a couple of adult tests - one pre-bronze moves and freeskate, and a silver freeskate. There was also a novice freedance that was a joy to watch. I'm going to have to chear on the home team at regionals - which is actually nearby this year. I think I'm going to go watch at least the last couple days in person, maybe even volunteer.:D

Scratchy Landing - after the test session there was a camp session so I had to sit around for an hour and a half before I could skate. I worked hard for 50 min, but don't know that I really made much progress, too many things on my mind and the session was much more crowded than I hoped.

PinkLaces
07-22-2009, 09:28 PM
If it's only the very first RFO three that's bothering you, it doesn't make sense to me that it's the blade. More likely where your weight is or your timing. Are you stepping wide when you push forward? That can do it.

I tried it again yesterday and tonight. I think it was a combo of dull skates and mental. I'm not stepping wide....more like hesitating when I get to the first 3 from the entry steps. I got my skates sharpened this morning. It seemed to help some - even though I fell on the 2nd 3.

Tuesday

Running EdgeCoach agreed to give me an extra lesson since she was coming in to supervise LTS after the open freestyle. Spent lots of time on Moves. Got really good BW Power Cross-over pattern and the BW Alternating pattern. She tweaked the entry of my FW Power Cross-over pattern. Landed 3 loop jumps in front of her with the foot in front. Landed 1 flip with the foot in front.

Had group lesson and group coach was happy with salchow, toe-loop(made her look to see if my toe was behind and it was!), waltz-toe loop, and backspin.

Scratch LandingMany loops and flips with 2 footed landings or foot to the side or aborted/spun out.

Change foot spin was 50/50.

Wednesday

Scratchy Landing Was extremely tired tonight so felt a little off-balance...especially on the backspin. Also distracted by DD working with a potential new dance coach. Fell during my Power 3 pattern. Not hard. Sat there for a moment trying to figure out how to get up without putting pressure on left knee and managed to do it.

Running EdgeAll my stand-bys worked well - salchow, waltz, waltz-toe, toe-loop, and scratch spin. Sit spin was 5 revs and centered(needs more sit though).

ibreakhearts66
07-22-2009, 10:02 PM
Running Edge
-Passed Int moves (but I already gave myself a whole thread to be happy about that)
-Worked on the push into spins in camp today. We did an exercise, then I was the first one to do a sit spin from a regular entrance. It had to be the BEST sit spin I've ever done. I must have held it for close to 30 revs, and I only came up because my legs were already so tired from testing. It didn't seem to lose ANY speed. It was centered on a dime, quiet, straight back, just felt absolutely spectacular.
-Counters felt really solid.
-Everyone who tested today passed! I was the only moves test, then an adult skater passed her prelim free, a Pre-Juv free passed, two Juvenile frees and a Novice. The test session just had a very positive vibe to it--everyone was in a good mood (not just because they passed, I mean going on to the ice too).

Scratchy Landing
-Worked on choctaws. Gah I don't know how I'll EVER be able to get those good enough for the junior test. I have very closed hips exacerbated by hip problems. That will DEFINITELY be my problem move. But somehow I doubt I'm the only skater in the history of moves in the field tests to have closed hips and hip problems, so I suppose with lots of work, it'll be possible to get them to passing standard.

katz in boots
07-23-2009, 04:44 AM
Scratchy Landing
After very tiring, emotional few days, I fronted for my early lesson exhausted and with a bit of a hangover. Still, I worked very hard (my head was giving off steam again) and squeezed every last bit of wisdom from the lesson.

Running Edge
Backspins are definitely coming, finally! Coach described the first part of them from inside edge entry as 'professional', which coming from her was high praise. Still rocking back on the blade from a standing start :frus:. I wasn't able to replicate the scratch spins from Sunday, but coach was pleased with the improvement anyway.

Important thing I learned today was to get my upper body & posture set prior to entry for spins or jumps, rather than going into it and somehow trying to get it all aligned once I go into the element. Duh!

RachelSk8er
07-23-2009, 08:54 AM
-Worked on choctaws. Gah I don't know how I'll EVER be able to get those good enough for the junior test. I have very closed hips exacerbated by hip problems. That will DEFINITELY be my problem move. But somehow I doubt I'm the only skater in the history of moves in the field tests to have closed hips and hip problems, so I suppose with lots of work, it'll be possible to get them to passing standard.

Welcome to my world. This is the only thing on the test right now for me that is downright bad (I could use a tad more power and speed on the other diagonal pattern, but the turns are clean and the rhythm is consistent and I tested on a test session at an adult competition, I'd pass). It is possible to get them down good with closed hips, they're just a heck of a lot harder and you have to think more about maintaining your turnout. Really working your shoulders and looking down ice through your turns helps. There is a judge here who is traditionally VERY tough on tests, but she refuses to fail someone on choctaws that are less than perfect because of hip turnout. Truthfully, choctaws are not that hard for someone at this level. Someone without turnout can do a huge, beautiful choctaw, it's just the way this pattern is set up with 2 consecutive ones that makes it harder for these people to do.

Running Edge: Jumps (except axel, which I didn't work on) were awesome yesterday! Focusing on knee bend and actually using my R arm is giving me more height and power. I also think roller derby has helped strengthen my ankles (derby skates are short like speed ice skates) and that's giving the jumps a little extra boost. Timing on my lutz was good yesterday. Starting to play with arms (arms over the head, etc) a little more.

Layback, back camel were good. Did a few ok flying camels.

Did a program run-thru (first one in over 2 weeks since I was in a skating funk and then went on vacation), it was ok. Did all my spins, couldn't do 2 jumps because of people in my way. Didn't fill out the rink as much as I'd like, but you'll have that with a new program and by the end of the season I'll be running out of room. Thinking of testing my pre-juv free on August 15 just as a way to get a performance under my belt before Peach. I'll have to water the jumps and spins down a little but that's ok.

Also did 2 really good patterns of the Blues. I am taking a break from dance other than the 2 silver solo dances being competed this year, and can't remember the last time I did the Blues (AN social dance maybe?). Felt good.

Junior moves--only did the rockers, they were good. I'll have to run the full test and work on the diagonal patterns tomorrow (yuck).

kander
07-24-2009, 01:04 AM
I finnaly got around to making some videos. I hope this works!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thgWIU4b-uI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InQNSwKcmak
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV1hNHTgQsY

aussieskater
07-24-2009, 02:39 AM
Your links worked Kander! Nice axels - lovely delay on the first one especially! (I'm jealous - even though as a dancer I don't aspire to have an axel, I can still wish...)

liz_on_ice
07-24-2009, 12:30 PM
running - lots of moves practice for prebronze, started looking at the bronze moves. sitspin improving

scratchy - by the time I get around to jumping, I'm tired. I get through the easy ones, then flip and lutz are clumsy because I'm pooped. Got to do them in the other order.

ibreakhearts66
07-24-2009, 07:14 PM
Kander-Those axels are GORGEOUS! You're doing everything right--awesome height, distance, air position, really just a beautiful jump

Running Edge
-Ok. So bracket-3-bracket is MUCH easier when you actually follow the pattern lol. I was starting RFO. When I looked at the book and realized it starts RFI, the whole pattern was easier. Not amazing, that's for sure, but much less scary and much smoother.
-I'm starting to feel the rhythm on the quick rocker choctaws and rolling 3s. Also getting more confident doing the outside swing rocker at speed.
-Sit spins continued to feel amazing today. SO much faster than they've ever been.

Scratchy Landing
-Rolling 3s are still a little too bouncy, but now I can at least feel where it goes wrong and gets bouncy and WHY it gets bouncy.
-Was absolutely exhausted today. I kept trying to jump and my body just went, "Mmm, no." I did a few axels and double sals, but left it at that.

kander
07-24-2009, 10:54 PM
Kander-Those axels are GORGEOUS! You're doing everything right--awesome height, distance, air position, really just a beautiful jump

Thanks! It took me several years to "unlearn" the way I originally did it. The moral of the story is to do it right the first time! At least it proves an old geezer is capable of making progress, however slowly.

katz in boots
07-25-2009, 03:35 AM
Scratchy Landing
Have strained/pulled a muscle in my left leg, probably coming out of a sit spin. Really hard to do anything that requires a bent knee, just standing up after sitting in a chair is painful.

Coach is away now for a while, not exactly sure of the dates, but she has show commitments so lessons will be patchy over the next 3 months.

Running Edge
Today I did some really good backspins. Scratchspins weren't bad, a couple of okay camels too. Toe-loops were good and I did one excelllent (for me) salchow. I really struggle with salchows, so this was good. Loops weren't too good but not too bad either. Flips hurt too much.

Scratchy Landing
not sure whether I'll skate tomorrow because of the leg pain. I hate getting injured, such a nuisance interrupting my progress. Still, if I can't skate, no point pushing myself.

Skate@Delaware
07-25-2009, 11:24 AM
running - lots of moves practice for prebronze, started looking at the bronze moves. sitspin improving

scratchy - by the time I get around to jumping, I'm tired. I get through the easy ones, then flip and lutz are clumsy because I'm pooped. Got to do them in the other order.
I found that moving my jumps to the beginning (right after my warmup) made more sense and I had more energy...spins don't seem to require as much and if I'm slightly tired spinning I don't hunch my shoulders as much (which is a good thing).

phoenix
07-25-2009, 03:50 PM
Running Edge: I've been taking my own advice lately & working on power by skating fast into whatever moves element I'm working on, & just seeing how far through it I get at that speed. And if you have to bail, you bail & then try it again. I've been surprised how it really works, & each time I get a little further, so eventually the whole move is put back together, but at higher power!

Also been working on Starlight, especially the 3-turn end section, and actually did it in time w/ music yesterday for the first time. Again, it seems the way to do it is put the music on, and just try again & again and see how far you can get.

Scratchy Landing: Had to cancel my lesson this week, because I stupidly procrastinated in going to the bank, which resulted in a bounced check, which resulted in me not having enough to pay for my lesson after the bank took their fees for my stupidity! :x

flo
07-25-2009, 10:29 PM
runing and keeping running!
Had a really nice practice today with partner. We had the opportunity to skate with a high level pair and observe quite a bit. it was also realy nice to have Mika and Debie on the ice!

katz in boots
07-26-2009, 03:31 AM
Scratchy Landing or Running Edge?
Following on from the strained muscles yesterday, I didn't skate this morning. For the first Sunday morning in a long time, I slept late!

I spent the day doing things like sorting out my skating practise clothes and my fabric cupboard. The fabric cupboard gets messy when I'm making dresses, so it occasionally needs sorting before I get stuck into my next sewing frenzy.

Much as I love skating, it was nice to have a quiet day at home for once.

The leg isn't too bad today, so I could've skated, but probably best to let it have a day off.

liz_on_ice
07-26-2009, 02:59 PM
running elder daughter came with me to public session, she tootled around while I ran moves and jumps

scratchy - complete lack of rink guards meant she got scared by a couple of big teens who were whipping around at high speed and low care. I complained at the desk, but nobody got sent in.

Kim to the Max
07-26-2009, 08:14 PM
[Running Edge]
Had an awesome lesson with temporary coach (regular coach had her baby!!! yay!!!)....and before my lesson I did some absolutely HUGE, feet crossed, clean (minus the whole landing on the toe thing) axels....temp coach thinks that I am right on track to pass my Juv test soon...we worked on the foot work in my program and some arms....and then....

[Scratchy Landing]
I was doing a part of my program where I go from my layback, CW crossovers, into a LFO rocker, into CCW back crossovers into my axel....well, somehow I "stopped" while doing the rocker (probably caught an edge), put my RIGHT foot down and twisted that ankle (I can walk on it and everything, the outside of it is just a little sore when I try to rotate it too far...it should be fine by tomorrow - I'm going to ice it tonight with my trusty ice pack which is usually used for butt cheeks), and fell....and in all of that, somehow created a 7-8" cut on the back of my LEFT thigh...it is only superficial and stopped bleeding within a few minutes, I am very lucky it didn't need stitches...came home and put the humungo bandages (and neosporen) on it and it took 2! I swear...that took some talent!! I am fully expecting things to be fine by Tuesday since this is relatively minor....I told my mom and she laughed (after making sure I wasn't really hurt)...but, her test was...did you pop out your hip? did you have to have your jaw wired shut? No? Then you are doing good (when I skated as a kid we knew many skaters who had both of those happen as well as other surgery requiring injuries).

So, the sad part was......I was pissed because this happened at the end of the first session I skated on, which meant that I couldn't skate the rest of the sessions....that is REALLY sad....

Skate@Delaware
07-26-2009, 08:54 PM
I didn't skate today, but went to the Fair to see the off-ice show...(and ate some yummy food-it was cheat meal time).

Saw one of the coaches and found out she will be heading up to Wollman Rink to work up there (asst. skating director)...I wish her well and we will miss her!

The show was very nice! It still amazes me how one can jump and spin on that stuff (and I used to do it as well...and I'm so amazed LOL)! Once I figure out how, I'll transfer figures from my "new" hand-me-down digital camera onto the computer and you guys can see (took some video which I know will be cr*ppy quality but eh, what can I say?)....

Less than one month before ice!!!!!

BatikatII
07-27-2009, 07:25 AM
running: Had a fun lesson today along with (almost 18 yr old) daughter. She is a level 5 free skater (compared to my lowly level 2) but has only taken up to level 3 dance so far (after just a few hours of dance lessons). I've been dancing for years although I've only tested to level 2.

We both wanted to work on level 4 dances (Swing and Fiesta) so decided to share first part of lesson. We started with Swing dance and I was pleased to see that I wasn't as far off her in power as I thought I'd be. Also some bits I did better and some bits she did better so it wasn't all a case of me playing catch up - though it was her first lesson on the dance and I've had lessons on it before:) though not for a while.

scratchy: Second half of lesson she was supposed to start her free dance but couldnt' get her music to play :( though it was fine in the car after so most likely problems with rink player again.

running: Instead we both worked on the Fiesta Tango and I think I can actually remember the steps now. I like these dances - a lot more interesting than the lower level ones.

Mrs Redboots
07-29-2009, 11:49 AM
running: Instead we both worked on the Fiesta Tango and I think I can actually remember the steps now. I like these dances - a lot more interesting than the lower level ones.

I like both the level 4 dances, although when I'm out of practice, I find the Fiesta rather terrifying. My worst thing is the step to forward in the Swing Dance, though.

As for me, Running: Really beginning to adjust to my new blades now. Still have one or two issues going backwards, but coach is pleased. So am I!

BatikatII
07-29-2009, 12:55 PM
I like both the level 4 dances, although when I'm out of practice, I find the Fiesta rather terrifying. My worst thing is the step to forward in the Swing Dance, though.

Gosh to me the step to forwards in the Swing is easy peasy compared to the step forwards in the Fiesta Tango - that one seems really unnatural, maybe because it turns to the right. Maybe it's because I find it easier to keep the left shoulder back than the right one.

RachelSk8er
07-30-2009, 11:26 AM
Ok so yesterday I had an overall really good session. I won't get into specific details of everything I worked on, but for one....

My axel is SO CLOSE, and my problems with this jump are clearly in my head and due to a lack of aggression. It's consistently up (with vast improvements to the take-off in the past few months), fully rotated, enough height to land it cleanly, I just put the toe of the free foot down on the landing every single darn time, probably because I don't like falling.

I have no reserves about doing totally dumb, potentially reckless stuff at roller derby (aside from the skating stuff--figure skating jumps, jumping over things, etc). I think it's because I wear safety equipment. So I got the brilliant idea of wearing my derby knee pads and elbow pads (left the helmet, wrist and mouth guards in the car) on the ice to work on axels. I figured it would possibly channel some of the fearless version of me who shows up to derby, or at the very least take away strange fears of getting hurt. For the record, these aren't just any knee pads, they're $60-70 thick, hard exterior serious knee pads.

Well...it sort of worked. Yesterday I got to where I was landing on one foot and falling versus two footing. It's a start. :giveup:

Really the knee and elbow pads are quite pointless since the falls were on my butt, eventually I took the elbow pads off, but if it helps get over the mental issues on this jump, for the time being, so be it.

My coach wasn't around yesterday and I haven't seen him in a few weeks, so I'm looking forward approaching him with this goofy idea at my lesson tomorrow.

Mrs Redboots
07-30-2009, 01:19 PM
Gosh to me the step to forwards in the Swing is easy peasy compared to the step forwards in the Fiesta Tango - that one seems really unnatural, maybe because it turns to the right. Maybe it's because I find it easier to keep the left shoulder back than the right one.Well, true. And it's really hard not to wide-step (don't forget it's an inside edge to an inside edge, so you need to put your feet heel to heel, not heel to instep as you do when it's outside to outside). But it is slightly easier with a partner. Sometimes. Whereas in the Swing Dance you have to let go of your partner on one side and launch yourself into the abyss.....

BatikatII
07-30-2009, 01:53 PM
Well, true. And it's really hard not to wide-step (don't forget it's an inside edge to an inside edge, so you need to put your feet heel to heel, not heel to instep as you do when it's outside to outside). But it is slightly easier with a partner. Sometimes. Whereas in the Swing Dance you have to let go of your partner on one side and launch yourself into the abyss.....

I've only really done either of them solo so I'm already in the abyss!:lol: I have done the Swing with a partner a couple of times and I like that but haven't tried the Fiesta partnered yet.

niupartyangel
07-30-2009, 08:59 PM
well today i was stretching for the splits at the gym and decided to go for them (the right side split, i think you call it, with the right leg in the front)...I was able to go all the way down the mat...of course i was super warmed up then too from doing cardio so i cant do it again off the bat now LOL but it's progress. Also the back leg still isn't completely straight but my front leg was!

Kim to the Max
07-30-2009, 10:00 PM
[Scratchy Landing]
No freestyle today because my ankle is still a little sore and stiff :( I hate being injured...I don't do it well...

I wasn't getting as good of a push off of my right leg as I usually do and I was a bit tentative on things, but temporary coach said I looked like I was doing well....

[Running Edge]
At least I got to skate today :) I only did moves and I made sure that I did a good number of LFO Rockers to make sure something mental didn't develop there....

Had an okay lesson....I felt very tentative....we did choctaws and rockers...

Not skating related, but I had a wonderful visit with coach and the new baby :)

antmanb
07-31-2009, 06:23 AM
Running Edge Literally a running egde! I managed to land three of my six attempts at the flip yesterday and two had a running edge! Coach was over the moon as was I. I'm starting to feel this jump much more now and suspect that it will soon be better than my much hated loop, which i also managed to land including twice in combo with a three jump.

Camel spin was really on today, i don't know if it's because i was trying some things from the camel thread but i felt like i could spin forever in the camel which is unheard of!

Scratchy Landing RBI three turn....i don't know why i just lose all my bottle trying this turn. On the left foot I skid to a stop and turn and keep my balance to get the feel for it and then i can slowly speed it up and bend my knee to clean to the turn up but on the right foot i can't get the bottle to do it and feel unbalanced and scared.

No sign of even a little tiny backspin yesterday :giveup:

Ant

doubletoe
07-31-2009, 02:21 PM
well today i was stretching for the splits at the gym and decided to go for them (the right side split, i think you call it, with the right leg in the front)...I was able to go all the way down the mat...of course i was super warmed up then too from doing cardio so i cant do it again off the bat now LOL but it's progress. Also the back leg still isn't completely straight but my front leg was!

Yay!! Congratulations! I've found that pre-stretching the hip flexor of the back leg really helps a lot! This is a good one (http://media.onsugar.com/files/upl1/1/12981/21_2008/hip.larger.jpg), especially if you can get the thighs in a 180-degree split as shown in the photo.

niupartyangel
07-31-2009, 09:30 PM
Thanks doubletoe! I've never seen or heard of this stretch before not even when I was in ballet...but the pic helps and I'll definitely try it!

My left side is not as flexible as the right so my side split on the left is still a good 3 inches off the ground :??

phoenix
07-31-2009, 10:09 PM
Running Edge: Had a great session today with coach, even though he was bent on killing me using the "death by skating lesson" approach. Multiple patterns of the Paso w/ music, over and over and over again. Oy! And just when I thought my legs were not good for one more pattern, he sent me out to do a very tough strength exercise, and when I came back from that (stumbling and gasping for air), he says, "Two patterns! With music!"

But with all that, I skated hard, reasonably strong, and even had a few decent patterns mixed in, and he was pleased with my progress. As was I. There may be hope for this dance yet! Maybe September to test?????????

I don't always like lessons like that, but the fact that I survived makes me pleased that I'm stronger than I think I am.