View Full Version : Buying new skates, Help to decide.

Franco
07-16-2009, 11:16 PM
Hello, i'm from Argentina and i'm going to purchase new skates. recently purchased a pair of Jackson's Elite Supreme, but i had to send it back because was too large for me. Using this boots for one hour I realized they were too hard for me, felt like a brick on my feet. So the dealer are going to change it for me and i want to change for other model..

Can be:

Jackson Elite Plus or Riedell 875 TS

me weight is 198 lb (90 Kg) and me height is 181cm.

Now i'm skating 4 to 6 days a week on-ice, 2 to 3 hour per day.

i'm doing Axels, and learning doubles. Now i'm skating with a very very mild Stiffness boot. Is an Argentinia'n nacional Boot of very poor quality is totally breaked. but here in Argentina i can't get others than this.

And about the blade now i have a MK 21.. for me new skates i have order John Wilson Coronation Ace. and i'm thinking to change it for a Coronation Ace Parabolic, waht do you think about that?

I wan't to buy something that lasts me a long time.

Sorry for me English!, i hope you understun

Greetings!

dbny
07-16-2009, 11:47 PM
If you are doing axels and working on doubles, you need a better blade than the Coronation Ace. There is no real agreement yet on whether the parabolics really help. Go for either a Pattern 99 or Gold Seal blade. I'm not sure about your weight. What does "L" mean? In English, we use "lb" for pounds, and 198 pounds is not unreasonable for your height of 181cm (5'11"). For boots, the most important thing is the fit. Every brand is a little different. If the Jackson seemed to be the right shape for your foot, I would say stick with that brand. Riedells are known to run a bit narrow.

Franco
07-17-2009, 12:01 AM
Thank you for your answer!
L for Libras or 90 kilos.. Now i'm doing Axels with the MK 21.. i like to purhcase Pat 99 or Gold Seal but they are very expensive for me. I have a credit of 780 dolars in the shop.. 211 or 260 for coronation Ace Standar or parabolic ($260) and $569 for the boots, the riedells 875 TS $499 and Jackson Elite plus $469..

it is better to buy a cheaper boots and spend patern 99??

blue111moon
07-17-2009, 07:31 AM
No. Buy the better boot - the one that fits your foot best. You can upgrade the blade later.

dbny
07-17-2009, 09:38 AM
No. Buy the better boot - the one that fits your foot best. You can upgrade the blade later.

I agree with this. Also, do not spend the money on parabolic blades. Stick with the plain Coronation Aces.

Franco
07-17-2009, 10:03 AM
I can purchase Parabolic with no extra cost, because i have a credit of $780 and the more expensive boot that i can buy is the Riedell 875 TS ($500) i have left $280 not enough to Patern 99 but over for Coronation Ace Parabolic ($260)

I have only this 3 options:

Riedell 875 TS with Coronation Ace Standar or Parabolic (No extra cost)

Jackson Elite Plus with Coronation Ace Standar or Parabolic (No extra cost)

Jackson Elite with Patern 99 Standar. This option cost $829. i can pay this diference of $50

So, this are mi options i don't know what to do

PD: i can't try the boot before purchasing, and i never use a Riedell or Jackson boots.. i don't have idea wich fit best on me foot

saras
07-17-2009, 12:46 PM
I can purchase Parabolic with no extra cost, because i have a credit of $780 and the more expensive boot that i can buy is the Riedell 875 TS ($500) i have left $280 not enough to Patern 99 but over for Coronation Ace Parabolic ($260)

Jackson Elite with Patern 99 Standar. This option cost $829. i can pay this diference of $50

PD: i can't try the boot before purchasing, and i never use a Riedell or Jackson boots.. i don't have idea wich fit best on me foot

Hmm - in your shoes, I'd probably pick the Jackson Elite and the better blade rather than teh Elite Plus. You've accomplished quite a bit on a very soft boot, and the main difference (I *think*) between the Elite and the Elite Plus is in stiffness.

No one can really advise about a Jackson vs. a Reidell without a bootfitter really looking at your foot. If they could send you both, and you could pick the one that fits better that'd be ideal.

Good luck!

doubletoe
07-17-2009, 12:51 PM

I would not get the parabolic blades, just because that will make it more difficult to know whether you like the blades themselves, or whether it's just the parabolic feature you like or don't like. However, the Coronation Ace is a very good blade, and the quality of the steel is just as good as the Gold Seal. The only difference is that it doesn't have some of the added features (which may or may not even make a difference, depending on whom you ask). Most of the skaters I know use Coronation Ace or Professional blades until they have all of their doubles through double lutz.

Also, the Coronation Ace has a smaller rocker radius (7' rocker) than the Pattern 99 (8' rocker) so you may find the Coronation Ace easier to spin on. But if your current blades have had the rocker flattened somewhat by multiple sharpenings, then you may still find the Pattern 99 rocker to be an improvement over what you're used to.

As for the boots, I know that Jackson boots are better for people whose feet are wide in the front (wide toes). No matter which boots you get, they are going to feel very stiff in the beginning. Make sure you leave the top one or two hooks unlaced until you start to feel the need for more support. That will help you get the ankle bend you need while breaking in your new boots.

Franco
07-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Thank yoy very much for your answers..

So i decide to stick the plan and purchase Coronation Ace K-Pick (I have to spend all the money I have to credit)

And i donīt know to select the Riedell 875 TS or Jackson Elite Plus. This two boots are similar in stiff? i prefer the jackson just for they it come in Black Suede and i really like this. the length of me foot is 29,3cm and the width is 27,5cm of circunference in the ball area or 12,5cm in diagonal wide (Like in this image)

https://www.kinziescloset.com/images/foot_measurement_ed5t.jpg

Do you think that Jackson is for me or Riedell? I have no way to tray it before purchasing!

dbny
07-17-2009, 04:09 PM
Spend the extra $50 and get the Pattern 99 instead of the K picks! This is another gimmick that some do like, but basically unproved to be beneficial. It also adds noticeably to the weight of the blades, and you can't fit the two piece blade guards over the pick.

Your foot looks more like a Jackson foot than a Riedell foot, but it's really hard to be sure from just a picture and the dimensions. You could send this info to Riedell and also to Jackson, and ask what they recommend.

Franco
07-17-2009, 04:35 PM
In order to Spend extra $50 in Patern 99, i have to purchase Jackson Elite instead of Elite Plus because they are to expensive for me.
What I can buy is:
Jackson elite plus with coronation ace or jackson elite with patern 99

dbny
07-17-2009, 04:55 PM
According to the Jackson web site, the Elite is an intermediate level boot, while the Elite Plus is an advanced boot. That really is not enough information, but leads me to feel the Elite would be enough for you. Maybe you can post another thread specifically about the Jackson Elite vs. the Jackson Elite Plus and get more information from some forum members who have first hand knowledge.

ibreakhearts66
07-17-2009, 08:00 PM
I don't know if this is purely bad luck, but I've heard of a few skaters who have actually had the K-pick part of the blade fall OFF. I knew one girl who really liked her K-picks, but the stories of them falling off made me decide not to get them even though I could've gotten those cheaper than the regular blades (last-pair sale). Could you purchase plain coronation aces and use the rest of the money to buy a new pair of pants, new guards and soakers or something like that?

Skate@Delaware
07-18-2009, 06:56 AM
If you tried the Jackson Elite Plus and had been skating in really soft boots, then of course they felt like cement blocks on your feet. If you get the Jackson Elites, they will also feel stiff at first. You will need to break them in (like getting dress shoes, it takes a while before they are comfortable and don't hurt). They should suit your level and give you the support you need.

The Coronation Ace blades will suit you fine for a long time. You should be ok with them.

doubletoe
07-20-2009, 05:58 PM
I hear terrible things about K-picks. Many people buy them, do not like them, and find that they have wasted their money.

doubletoe
07-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Spend the extra $50 and get the Pattern 99 instead of the K picks! This is another gimmick that some do like, but basically unproved to be beneficial. It also adds noticeably to the weight of the blades, and you can't fit the two piece blade guards over the pick.

Your foot looks more like a Jackson foot than a Riedell foot, but it's really hard to be sure from just a picture and the dimensions. You could send this info to Riedell and also to Jackson, and ask what they recommend.

I agree!!! If you MUST spend all of the money, get the Pattern 99 blades and the Jackson Elite boots.

Franco
07-21-2009, 11:28 AM
If you tried the Jackson Elite Plus and had been skating in really soft boots, then of course they felt like cement blocks on your feet. If you get the Jackson Elites, they will also feel stiff at first. You will need to break them in (like getting dress shoes, it takes a while before they are comfortable and don't hurt). They should suit your level and give you the support you need.

The Coronation Ace blades will suit you fine for a long time. You should be ok with them.

I tried Jackson Elite Supreme, and yes i felt like a cement block on me foot.
much difference in hardness between Elite and Elite Plus?

aussieskater
07-21-2009, 05:43 PM
My DH wears Elites and loves his boots and says he wouldn't want them any stiffer. (He liked the suede finish too!) He's about the same weight as you, but is doing mostly dance (working on US bronze level) rather than freeskating.

stardust skies
07-22-2009, 02:43 AM
K-pick was created by a coach for his student who had technique problems. Rather than fixing the technique, he invented a blade that would cover it up. If you don't know how to pick correctly into the ice for jumps, that is what the k-pick is for. Basically, you only buy the k-pick if you have poor technique and can't be bothered to fix it.

Personally I think going from an all purpose blade to the Pattern 99 is too much. The toepick change could make you lose your axel. Why not just get the stiffer boot (it will last longer and if you are doing doubles at your weight, which IMHO is not "reasonable" like dbny said), and you could buy the MK Professional blade which has lasted people through most of their double jumps. I don't think there is a real need to switch to a top-end blade until you are working on your double axel. You say you can't really afford much because of money issues, so to me it would seem more important to have a boot that will last you. Sure, people have the regular Elites last them a while, but they don't weight nearly 100 kg or measure 1.81cm while landing double jumps. It has been said that 3 times the amount of your weight gets applied to your ankles as you land a triple jump- I assume a double jump would only be a little bit less than that. That is a LOT of stress on the boots. At your level, skating as much as you are and doing the jumps you are at your weight, having your boots last a year is a blessing. If you don't thinkt hat is long enough of a life, you definitely need something much stiffer. If you want something that will last, get the stiffer boots and MK Professionals, you shouldn't have to upgrade anything for a good couple of years.

That's my advice on your situation.

doubletoe
07-22-2009, 12:37 PM
Note: MK Professional blades are the same level, price and quality as the Wilson Coronation Ace blades. Both of them are very good for all jumps through double lutz.

dbny
07-22-2009, 01:08 PM
if you are doing doubles at your weight, which IMHO is not "reasonable" like dbny said

You need to read a little more carefully. What I said was that, guessing at his weight (he has since edited his post to put it in pounds), 198 pounds was reasonable for his height - not that it was reasonable for doubles. In other words, since I had to guess, his height made the guess of 198 pounds reasonable.

stardust skies
07-22-2009, 04:13 PM
You need to read a little more carefully. What I said was that, guessing at his weight (he has since edited his post to put it in pounds), 198 pounds was reasonable for his height - not that it was reasonable for doubles. In other words, since I had to guess, his height made the guess of 198 pounds reasonable.

Ah okay, sorry about that! Not that picking at anyone's weight was my intention, I was just trying to stress the importance of a stiffer boot if he really expects his boots to last more than a year at this weight/height/jump level combo. My bad for misunderstanding.

I think, doing doubles in skates as severely underleveled as Franco has been, any boot of his actual level range will feel like "bricks", especially since he has been in these soft boots for so long...I can really only imagine what an entry level boot looks like after 6 days a week on the ice of 3 hours each, doing double jumps as a very tall man, after a whole year. I think there has to be a distinction between "I will never break these in, forget it.." and "wow, these are very stiff and will cause me pain for a couple of weeks, but this is normal and I must get used to them and slowly break them in". I'm not sure Franco knows the difference yet just based on what he's been skating on.

And yes, Doubletoe is right that the are the same level, and good through doubles. The only reason I recommended the Pros instead is that they are a lil' bit cheaper. :)

dbny
07-22-2009, 04:26 PM
I think there has to be a distinction between "I will never break these in, forget it.." and "wow, these are very stiff and will cause me pain for a couple of weeks, but this is normal and I must get used to them and slowly break them in". I'm not sure Franco knows the difference yet just based on what he's been skating on.

I agree. At the same time, don't forget that Dick Button landed the first triple in competition wearing the old double ply high top leather boots. Technique trumps all.

Franco
07-23-2009, 12:23 PM
thank you very much stardust skies and dbny.. i take a decision, i will buy the Elite Plus Black Suede and John Wilson Coronation Ace Standar..

You are right, after skating with my boots (Really bad boots) I feel hard to use any boot.. took me a while to break-in..

thank you very much!

doubletoe
07-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Good luck with the new skates, Franco! Be sure tell us how you like them once you get them! :)

stardust skies
07-23-2009, 09:18 PM
I hope we steered you in the right direction! Let us know how the boots/blades work out...and if you have a little bit of store credit left over, buy some Bunga pads (or one of the other brands), they are silicone gel sleeves that go around your ankles and will seriously make the break in process a lot easier.