View Full Version : finding a partner

lilskater14
07-16-2009, 10:55 AM
I want to skate with a partner . does that make sense? How do you find a guy partner. I am clueless

Mrs Redboots
07-16-2009, 11:15 AM
I want to skate with a partner . does that make sense? How do you find a guy partner. I am clueless

With difficulty. There are far more women than men out there, alas. Your best bet is to get your boyfriend out there skating too, so you can train him up in the way he should go!

herniated
07-16-2009, 11:22 AM
I want one too. I've been searching. Ask you're coach to help you and try www.icepartnersearch.com. I think that's the web site.

My husband doesn't skate and doesn't want to. Besides I think he'd ruin it for me lol.

PinkLaces
07-16-2009, 12:16 PM
It's hard to find partners and even if you do, it doesn't always work out. My DD has had 2 ice dance partners, but both of them decided they liked singles better than dance.

jazzpants
07-16-2009, 12:21 PM
Your best bet is to get your boyfriend out there skating too, so you can train him up in the way he should go!

But I went into skating to get AWAY from my husband! :twisted: :P :lol: (but just for a short while! ;) )

I'd ask your coach!

FSWer
07-16-2009, 12:50 PM
Also,are you looking into Pairs or Ice-Dance?

herniated
07-16-2009, 02:58 PM
need an ice dance partner.

Query
07-17-2009, 04:30 AM
I'm a guy, and would love a similarly low level ice dance partner.

But I see from another post you are about 17 and are in Florida. My schedule is now pretty flexible, but I'm over 50, and am in Maryland. Wouldn't work.

But you should tell people here when you normally skate, and approximately where.

These partner search sites are mostly for highly competitive skaters, but it's worth a try:
http://www.ice-dance.com/ps/
http://icepartnersearch.com/

You could always put up a little ad on the wall of local rinks. Didn't work for me.

Clarice
07-17-2009, 07:37 AM
I found my partner through the IceDancers OnLine forum on Yahoo. (I'm sorry, I don't know how to add the link.) There's a partner search feature in the databases. This group is mostly adults, and the database is quite small, but it worked for me. It's largely a matter of luck, finding someone who is compatible ability-wise, physically, and geographically. I was actually pretty shocked when my partner contacted me the first time - when I signed up I figured I'd just be a name on a list for years. I doubt this particular list would work for the original poster because she's so young, but might be of interest to others reading this thread. They do post lots of information about various social dance weekends - I think adults looking for partners would do well to attend as many of these as possible. They're loads of fun, and if you're looking for a partner it's a way to get yourself known.

herniated
07-17-2009, 09:48 AM
I'm a guy, and would love a similarly low level ice dance partner.

But I see from another post you are about 17 and are in Florida. My schedule is now pretty flexible, but I'm over 50, and am in Maryland. Wouldn't work.

But you should tell people here when you normally skate, and approximately where.

These partner search sites are mostly for highly competitive skaters, but it's worth a try:
http://www.ice-dance.com/ps/
http://icepartnersearch.com/

You could always put up a little ad on the wall of local rinks. Didn't work for me.

I couldn't be your full time partner but as you know I will be in Maryland/DC in August! If you'd like to try some dances together I'm up for it. I am 45 and working on my pre-bronze dances. And have competed at the Silver level in freeskating for YEARS. Could be fun. Or maybe not... :lol: You may be afterwards..'God, I can't skate with that woman...Uggh':lol:

Query
07-19-2009, 09:41 AM
I couldn't be your full time partner but as you know I will be in Maryland/DC in August!

I would love to, young lady!

I too am more or less working on pre-bronze, though I may never pass. I'll send you a PM with contact info.

Since you like the idea of morning freestyles at Mount Vernon, I will try to accomodate that. I will try to check whether they allow ice dancing then, and whether they still require USFSA freestyle 2 (?) level certification to skate on their freestyles.

I assume your other vacation and time-with-hubby activities make the early morning times neccessary. (The publics at Bowie might well be less crowded with aggressive high level freestylers, and the ice marginally smoother, though Mount Vernon usually has pretty good ice.)

A lot of ice dancers in the DC area skate the WFSC club (http://www.wfsc.net) dance sessions, but you would have to join ($75) to dance more than one, even if it isn't your home club. (I'm not a member, but could rejoin.)

A few also skate on ICWDC (http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/ICW-DC/?tab=s) sessions.

Most of the DC area Ice Dance sessions, in or out of clubs, are filled with aggressive high level dancers, about half with coaches. They expect lower level skaters and skaters without coaches to yield. They don't play that low level music much, or give much warning when they do. With the exception of skaters with coaches, people on pattern are supposed to have right of way, but that isn't usually honored when the music for lower level dances (like pre-bronze) is playing. (I'm basing that on a few dance sessions at Cabin John Ice Rink.) So uncrowded freestyle and public sessions are better for us - but some freestylers at some rinks don't appreciate ice dancers on their sessions. Will try to check at Mount Vernon.

About what dates will you be here?

Skate@Delaware
07-19-2009, 09:55 AM
Query I'd love to partner with you but my height is always the problem!!!! At 5'6" I'm ALWAYS taller than my partners!

Mrs Redboots
07-20-2009, 01:44 PM
Query I'd love to partner with you but my height is always the problem!!!! At 5'6" I'm ALWAYS taller than my partners!
Good heavens - that's not very tall! Is it only small men that take up ice-dancing? At 5'8" (well, I was - I think I've shrunk a bit the way one does, with age), I'm taller than my coach but considerably shorter than Husband and many of the other men in dance club!

black
07-20-2009, 03:14 PM
Also if you're in the UK try: http://www.iskatemagazine.com/page/Partner_Search I first met my partner at a 2 day skate camp thing. Try visiting nearby rinks and talking to their coaches. Competitions are also a good place too.

RachelSk8er
07-20-2009, 03:58 PM
Good heavens - that's not very tall! Is it only small men that take up ice-dancing? At 5'8" (well, I was - I think I've shrunk a bit the way one does, with age), I'm taller than my coach but considerably shorter than Husband and many of the other men in dance club!

I had a partner (very, very briefly, didn't work out due to different goals, work ethic, personalities and I wanted to test and not wait for him to catch up to me), and I was taller than him. I'm only 5'4.

Skate@Delaware
07-21-2009, 07:42 PM

I had a partner (very, very briefly, didn't work out due to different goals, work ethic, personalities and I wanted to test and not wait for him to catch up to me), and I was taller than him. I'm only 5'4.
I skated with two different men...and I towered over them! My coach thought it looked to "weird" to have such a height difference and it did throw us off as far as the holds. My husband would have been great (he is 5'9") but he was insecure on the ice and gave up skating ((sigh))

dbny
07-22-2009, 01:03 PM
Very strange about the height problem. Ice dancers are usually on the tall side. That said, my coach is just the right height for me at 5'6". I'm 5'3" and my DH is also 5'6" and would be a perfect partner if he only had the time. He has finally agreed to let me teach him some dances, but he can only skate once a week.

RachelSk8er
07-23-2009, 08:35 AM
Very strange about the height problem. Ice dancers are usually on the tall side.

Maybe for those who are competing on a high level and shuffled into skating with a partner at a young age. But not really so much with the typical adult skater who started as an adult. (Most of the tall adult ice dancers, particularly the men, are former kid skaters and are coaches). I wouldn't describe any of the male skaters around my rink who do dance and started skating as adults as tall.

aussieskater
07-24-2009, 02:29 AM
Might be a phenomenon of our rink - it seems the majority of the male ice dancers who started as adults are tall - over 5'10" for sure. There are only two I can think of who are shorter than that (and their partners are short also).

Skate@Delaware
07-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Our skating director is shorter than me, I can look down at him....there is a man taking lessons but he is short as well (and only wants to skate with his daughter, which is sweet). Some of the other male skaters at my rink are short as well, except for the coaches...and I cannot partner skate (as in competitively) with them as they are on a different track plus I'm old enough to be their mother LOL!

Bunny Hop
07-28-2009, 07:25 AM
Well, my husband started skating as an adult and is 6'4 (193cm), and I'm 5'4 (163cm). We cope okay when dancing together (well, apart from my terror, but that's another issue!), though foxtrot hold is a bit awkward due to the height difference. His competition partner is 5'2 (158cm), so there's even more of a difference, but that's working out fine as well.

I can't recall seeing all that many short adult male dancers - most seem to be at least average height (whatever that might be!) or taller.

Skate@Delaware
07-28-2009, 07:38 AM
I can't recall seeing all that many short adult male dancers - most seem to be at least average height (whatever that might be!) or taller.
They must all be on your side of the pond!!! Send some over to this side! :lol:

Bunny Hop
07-31-2009, 10:32 AM
They must all be on your side of the pond!!! Send some over to this side! :lol:
LOL! I would, but they're still a rare and endangered species!:lol: