View Full Version : Too old for iceskating

lilskater14
07-15-2009, 11:49 AM
As a little girl growing up I lived on the ice started at about age 5. Started lessons at 8 and continues till age 13. Sadly my beloved ice rink got shut down so we moved to the next one but they were just so mean I had to stop. I finally can drive I am 17 and allowed to go to one of the best ice rinks in florida. Is 17 too old to start skating again? I forgot how to do my loop or axel but have my salcaw, sitting spin, and the other stuff.

Clarice
07-15-2009, 11:59 AM
No, 17 is not too old. I think you'll find many of us on this board first began as adults. I was 37.

caffn8me
07-15-2009, 12:15 PM
Seventy isn't too old, never mind seventeen. Get back on that ice and have a great time :)

Sarah

londonicechamp
07-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Seventeen is definitely not too old. I began ice skating at age 20, and skated until aged 28, then due to other commitments, stopped skating for 4 years. Just came back in January of this year, at aged 32. I just turned 33 years old 2 months ago.

In fact, in my local rink, the eldest freestyle skater is 55 years old, according to his coach, and that skater can do basic waltz jump and some other basic jumps after 2 years of learning.

londonicechamp

flo
07-15-2009, 01:45 PM
Hi,
As you see, you can start at any age. I started at 30. The important thing is not the age, but the expectations. If you're expectation is to be a world level competitor, then 17 may be a late start. If you want to compete, then you may want to look into the levels and age restrictions. Also look into the adult program, as if you are in the US you will be an adult soon.
If you wish is to experience the joy of skating - then 17 or 70 is not too late.

lilskater14
07-15-2009, 02:26 PM
thanks everyone and I am going to start skating again, I just have to pay for my lessons, ouftis and skates which can be alot

PinkLaces
07-15-2009, 02:49 PM
Paying for it is always an issue, isn't it? I would encourage you to skate if that's what you'd like to do. I loved skating as a kid and just started again 9 months ago after a 25 year break. Being 17 I'm sure you will pick it up quickly.

My DD is 15 and she just started skating more seriously 2 years ago when she was 13. Soccer was always her first love. Unfortunately, there are some people who think she is "washed up" just because she will never be a true competitive skater. She just has to be more realistic in her goals. One is to get through Gold Dance by the time she graduates from high school (3 years). That also means she won't get through all the Moves before she graduates. She skates because she loves it.

RachelSk8er
07-15-2009, 03:03 PM
My family totally doesn't get skating. An uncle once asked me "why do you still skate, you're not 'going anywhere'" (as in the Olympics). My reply? "Why do you play golf? You'll never be as good as Tiger Woods."

flo
07-15-2009, 03:14 PM
Skating can get expensive, but there are ways to make it somewhat affordable. There's a wealth of information on this site as far as dresses and practice wear. For example, I purchase Circo leggings in the kids dept. at Target for $6. For crash pads I cut up the garden kneeling pads which are $1 - $5. I buy my desses from China on ebay, or make them. Saving here and there allows me to spend on my skates, coach and events.
Enjoy!

ibreakhearts66
07-15-2009, 03:30 PM
Paying for it is always an issue, isn't it? I would encourage you to skate if that's what you'd like to do. I loved skating as a kid and just started again 9 months ago after a 25 year break. Being 17 I'm sure you will pick it up quickly.

My DD is 15 and she just started skating more seriously 2 years ago when she was 13. Soccer was always her first love. Unfortunately, there are some people who think she is "washed up" just because she will never be a true competitive skater. She just has to be more realistic in her goals. One is to get through Gold Dance by the time she graduates from high school (3 years). That also means she won't get through all the Moves before she graduates. She skates because she loves it.

Are you my mom? Apart from the age,your DD sounds exactly like me :lol: I started skating at 13, then quit around 15 to focus on soccer (which was my first love too). I was being recruited by universities, but had to quit because it was just too hard on my body after a knee and ankle surgery. So, I returned to skating at 17. Now, at 19, I'm working on 2axel and low triples. No, I'm not going to worlds or even nationals, but I can still get my gold medals, train hard, and HAVE FUN.

To echo everyone else, 17 is definitely not too old :D

NCSkater02
07-15-2009, 08:10 PM
As long as you don't plan on going to the Olympics, 17 is not too old. I was almost 39 when I started, (I'm 46 now) and we have a few on here in their 50s and 60s.

PinkLaces
07-15-2009, 11:23 PM
Are you my mom? Apart from the age,your DD sounds exactly like me I started skating at 13, then quit around 15 to focus on soccer (which was my first love too). I was being recruited by universities, but had to quit because it was just too hard on my body after a knee and ankle surgery. So, I returned to skating at 17. Now, at 19, I'm working on 2axel and low triples. No, I'm not going to worlds or even nationals, but I can still get my gold medals, train hard, and HAVE FUN.

Wow! Similar story. Freaky.

You must be an awesome skater to have 2axel and triples so fast. My DD is still working on single axel (10 months now) and double sal. DD just gave up soccer after last summer. Playing competitive soccer and skating was just too much. She was a goalkeeper.

sk8tegirl06
07-16-2009, 07:52 AM
As a little girl growing up I lived on the ice started at about age 5. Started lessons at 8 and continues till age 13. Sadly my beloved ice rink got shut down so we moved to the next one but they were just so mean I had to stop. I finally can drive I am 17 and allowed to go to one of the best ice rinks in florida. Is 17 too old to start skating again? I forgot how to do my loop or axel but have my salcaw, sitting spin, and the other stuff.

Honestly, you sound exactly like me. I took group lessons from probably age 6-9 or so, switched to privates for a couple more years. Around age 13-14, my skating club moved to a brand new rink which didn't have much evening ice time. (The only way I was skating at the previous rink was evening ice time, because both my parents worked.) Since I couldn't drive myself at that point, my ice time just kept dwindling until I eventually had to stop.

Fast forward to freshman year of college, I attend a school that has a very good skating program. I joined learn to skate during fall semester just to get back into it. Here I am almost four years later. I haven't progressed as fast as some of the other posters. (Still working on singles, hoping to start axels next year.) But I rediscovered the love and passion for the sport.

I also pay for all my own skating, club memberships, lessons, ice time, etc. It can be tough, but is definitely doable. I just upgraded skate boots last summer, my bank account didn't like me :( Thankfully, they were very understanding and I was able to split the payments up into several smaller amounts. On summer and winter breaks, I am lucky enough to have a flexible work schedule where I generally work evenings and weekends. This way I am able to skate public sessions during the day, in my area anywhere from $4-7 for an hour or two of skating depending on the rink. I usually on skate actual freestyle sessions once a week during my lesson. My rink at school had used dress sales, which produced 2 dresses for me for less than $50. The other option is Christmas time. The last year or two whenever parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc ask for my Christmas list it is almost all skating related, dresses, gift certificates for ice time, etc. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Mrs Redboots
07-16-2009, 11:10 AM

Good heavens, no - I didn't even START skating until I was in my 40s, and I know several people in their late 70s, even early 80s, who still skate competitively on a regular basis.

Get out there and skate!

sk8joyful
07-16-2009, 03:40 PM
As a little girl growing up I lived on the ice started at about age 5. Started lessons at 8 and continues till age 13.
I forgot how to do my loop or axel but have my salcaw, sitting spin, and the other stuff. Is 17 too old to start skating again?

Good heavens! - Do yourself this huge favor: Forget that 'age'-concept, as it doesn't matter. - Think of yourself as the little girl as you first discovered skating, and all the fun you had/have learning. Your fun... is what matters ;) really.

isakswings
07-16-2009, 04:48 PM

Nope! It's never too late and honestly, you might surprse yourself once you get going again. Your axel and loop might come back after you start going regularly. It will take work, but I don't think 17 is too old at all! :) There are a lot of things you can do! There is a gal at dd's rink who didn't start skating until she was 19. She's 21 now and has an axel among other skating skills. :)
Honestly, if you love it, you will find a way to do it!

Paying for it is always a challenge, but like other's have said, there are ways to cut costs. For example, last year we held a garage sale to pay for or daughter's skates. This year, my daughter used her birthday money to help pay for her new skates. I buy most of her dresses off ebay or I buy a plain dress and crystal it myself to save money. I also check the re-sale, sales the rink hosts too. I re-sell things she isn't using anymore. I bought her showcase dress with money I made selling her outgrown items.

There are ways to make this sprt more affordable. I think it is possible to cut costs on dresses and other skating "stuff", you just have to learn where to find the best deals and how to cut corners.

My daughter can't take as many lessons as some kids do, we just don't have the money to do that. She's still progressing but for now, her 2 lessons a week is all I can afford. She skates 3-4 days a week, but only 2 of those involve lessons.

Good luck to you!

JazzySkate
07-16-2009, 06:28 PM
My family totally doesn't get skating. An uncle once asked me "why do you still skate, you're not 'going anywhere'" (as in the Olympics). My reply? "Why do you play golf? You'll never be as good as Tiger Woods."

Rachelsk8ter-Bravo! That told him. Why not still skate-did he pay for your lessons, etc.?

I started skating in my 30's. I'm now 62-still skating Back then I was told "skating's for kids" and "What? YOU skate?" Not to brag, but I wouldn't hesitate to dangle every test result and every medal in front of those negative commentators and say: "Now....what was that about 'skating being for kids...?!"

It's never too late to skate. Keeps you mobile, creative and disciplined.

Mrs Redboots
07-17-2009, 10:35 AM
I started skating in my 30's. I'm now 62-still skating Back then I was told "skating's for kids" and "What? YOU skate?" Not to brag, but I wouldn't hesitate to dangle every test result and every medal in front of those negative commentators and say: "Now....what was that about 'skating being for kids...?!"

It's never too late to skate. Keeps you mobile, creative and disciplined.
Absolutely. Some mornings at my rink I'm one of the youngest there - and I'm nearer 60 than 50. The younger ones come in later, but first thing, the place is full of middle-aged men! Who said this was a sport for kids? Not at our rink, it's not!