View Full Version : Adult Sectional Dates and Locations?

flutzilla1
07-14-2009, 12:35 PM
Seems like every regional and sectional has been announced except for the adults for this upcoming season. Anyone have any news? I'm hoping Easterns will be a bit closer to the NE this time around, like they were when they were in Wayne NJ in 2007/8. Going to NC last year would have been fun, but that's one heck of a long drive to take with an 8 year old....

Thanks in advance for any news!

saras
07-14-2009, 01:16 PM
I heard from a quite reliable source that Easterns will be in NC again this coming year.

I dunno re the dates.

Sara

flutzilla1
07-14-2009, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the info Sara. If that's the case I unfortunately will not be able to attend this year either -- it's just too long of a drive and too much time is needed having to take off of work/kid out of school for the drive time for me, especially when I would only be competing in non-qualifying events anyway.

I am planning on competing in the Colonial FSC's all adult open comp in March -- anyone else going to give this new competition a try too? Maybe they'll let my DS be a flower/goodies sweeper for the higher level events..... :)

Stormy
07-14-2009, 03:12 PM
I am planning on competing in the Colonial FSC's all adult open comp in March -- anyone else going to give this new competition a try too? Maybe they'll let my DS be a flower/goodies sweeper for the higher level events..... :)

That's EXCELLENT you're coming to Colonial's competition! :bow: It will be awesome, I promise you that. It's a great time to get one more competition in between Easterns and ANs. I am involved in planning it, and I'll field any questions or suggestions about it! :) http://www.colonialfsc.com/adult.htm

herniated
07-14-2009, 06:15 PM
Uggh, flutz I'm in the EXACT same boat as you except my son is 10, will be 11 at that time. But I am interested Stormy in the competition your club is hosting! Will there be solo dance events? Please say yes. That's all I do now.

saras
07-14-2009, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the info Sara. If that's the case I unfortunately will not be able to attend this year either -- it's just too long of a drive and too much time is needed having to take off of work/kid out of school for the drive time for me, especially when I would only be competing in non-qualifying events anyway.

I get that about driving with children -

keep an eye on flights though - I've gotten RT tix to RDU for $120 from Western NY - JetBlue goes there!

Hmm - pondering the competition at Colonial - if they offer IJS I could think about getting myself there.

vesperholly
07-15-2009, 12:26 AM
keep an eye on flights though - I've gotten RT tix to RDU for $120 from Western NY - JetBlue goes there!
I'm bummed it might not be in a location I can reasonably drive to, but if flights are that cheap, I'm definitely going!!

Stormy
07-15-2009, 06:58 AM
Uggh, flutz I'm in the EXACT same boat as you except my son is 10, will be 11 at that time. But I am interested Stormy in the competition your club is hosting! Will there be solo dance events? Please say yes. That's all I do now.

Yes. :) They are defintiely planning solo dance.

Stormy
07-15-2009, 06:59 AM
I get that about driving with children -

Hmm - pondering the competition at Colonial - if they offer IJS I could think about getting myself there.

I am unsure of IJS right now, I know myself and a couple others are REALLY REALLY pushing for it, but it's leaning towards probably not. :(

herniated
07-15-2009, 08:28 AM
Yes. :) They are defintiely planning solo dance.

YAY!! I will put the dates on my calendar and plan to attend!! Hope we can all meet and flutz would you bring your son? My DH and DS usually come with me when I compete. AND, since it's close I may even be able to have my coach come!!! Hope so!! Double yay!!

saras
07-15-2009, 03:39 PM
Feb 19-21, 2010

-Sara

NoVa Sk8r
07-15-2009, 06:50 PM
Ooh, during the Winter Olympics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure_skating_at_the_2010_Winter_Olympics#Schedul e), especially the skating. This is when Easterns were in 2006 as well. :P

sexyskates
07-15-2009, 09:22 PM
Nova, do you have any info on attending the Olympics and obtaining tickets? I would consider going to Vancouver if I can see the skating!

NoVa Sk8r
07-15-2009, 09:29 PM
I guess you could check here for any and all info:
http://www.vancouver2010.com/en/ticketing-information/-/32334/f64b2s/index.html

8-)

looplover
07-16-2009, 06:12 AM
Wow, where in NC?

Due to my pay cut I'm off ice indefinitely and haven't even renewed my club membership or US Figure Skating membership...but I'm hoping this situation can change...

saras
07-16-2009, 09:31 AM
in Hillsboro, near the Raleigh/Durham area. Yes, it's where the 06 Adult Easterns were, and where last year's were.

Stormy
07-16-2009, 09:43 AM
They did a really good job last year, so I am glad they're getting it again.

looplover
07-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Oh yay! They really did do a great job. Thanks!

(boy am I out of the loop [literally and figuratively] - need to get back on the ice, I should know this!)

rsk8d
07-16-2009, 01:29 PM
Aren't they technically supposed to rotate between regions? Not too fair to us up north...

Stormy
07-16-2009, 02:41 PM
Aren't they technically supposed to rotate between regions? Not too fair to us up north...

The "regular" Regionals I believe are supposed to, but not enough clubs bid on Adult Sectionals for it to have a chance to rotate around the regions. I wish we had that problem! :lol:

saras
07-16-2009, 10:17 PM
The "regular" Regionals I believe are supposed to, but not enough clubs bid on Adult Sectionals for it to have a chance to rotate around the regions. I wish we had that problem! :lol:

and, it's been in NY State or area for a few years in a row - I forget the order, but there was Cicero near Syracuse, then Sky Rink, then NJ (though maybe NC was in between Sky Rink and NJ, I forget - or somewhere else?)....it really depends on who bids.

2salch0w
07-18-2009, 09:43 PM
and, it's been in NY State or area for a few years in a row - I forget the order, but there was Cicero near Syracuse, then Sky Rink, then NJ (though maybe NC was in between Sky Rink and NJ, I forget - or somewhere else?)....it really depends on who bids.

2004 Cicero, NY (Syracuse area)
2005 Manhattan
2006 Hillsborough, NC
2007 Acton, MA
2008 Wayne, NJ
2009 Hillsborough, NC
2010 Hillsborough, NC

sk8er1964
07-19-2009, 07:31 PM
Rumor is Mids will be in Indy.

RachelSk8er
07-20-2009, 09:52 AM

Heard that too.

Black Sheep
07-20-2009, 11:21 AM

Indianapolis, IN?

Stormy
07-20-2009, 12:05 PM
Indianapolis, IN?

Yes. That Indy.

starskate6.0
07-21-2009, 11:03 AM
That's EXCELLENT you're coming to Colonial's competition! :bow: It will be awesome, I promise you that. It's a great time to get one more competition in between Easterns and ANs. I am involved in planning it, and I'll field any questions or suggestions about it! :) http://www.colonialfsc.com/adult.htm

Hey Stormy

Its been a while since Iv been on this thing . Your web site shows an address for the rink but no Zip code , that would be handy to have for boxborough so I can map quest it and see how far it is and if I can do it.
Iv been struck with injury after Injury in the last year and still out with an ankle injury for the next month but do plan to get back into it.

Star

Stormy
07-21-2009, 11:57 AM
Oh, sure. The address of the rink is 34 Massachusetts Avenue (Route 111) Boxborough, MA 01720. Where would you be driving from? If someone were to fly in, it's about 40-45 minutes outside of Boston.

NoVa Sk8r
07-22-2009, 06:39 PM
According to this (http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVIYjoGdKJqoAGhLozAt.;_ylu=X3oDMTExN3Y1YzI 1BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA3JlNAR2dGlkAwRsA1dTMQ--/SIG=149e4idpc/EXP=1248391587/**http%3A//www.usfsa.org/content/eventhosting/pasteventdata/Event%2520LOC%2520Contacts%2520%26%2520Chief%2520R eferees.xls) (under 2010 tab):
2010 Adult Easterns: Feb. 20-21, 2010, Hillsborough, NC, Central Carolina SC
2010 Adult Mids: March 12-14, 2010, Indianapolis, Indiana World Skating Academy, Indiana World Skating Academy - American Rink
2010 Adult Pacific Coast: March 12-14, 2010, Anaheim, CA, Glacier Falls FSC and Pasadena FSC

Terri C
07-23-2009, 06:49 AM
Why is Easterns in February and Mids and Pacs in March??
Right now if the local club competition has the same dates as Easterns (this happened last year) I'll be forgoing Easterns and doing the home event.

RachelSk8er
07-23-2009, 08:31 AM
Why is Easterns in February and Mids and Pacs in March??

They typically try to keep them on the same date, but other factors can prevent that from happening (availability of bidding clubs' venues, availability of properly trained officials for IJS events, availability of equipment for IJS).

Debbie S
07-23-2009, 01:18 PM
They typically try to keep them on the same date, but other factors can prevent that from happening (availability of bidding clubs' venues, availability of properly trained officials for IJS events, availability of equipment for IJS).Are Sectionals going to use IJS for Champ/Gold/Masters? I thought that didn't pass. :??

doubletoe
07-23-2009, 01:44 PM
Are Sectionals going to use IJS for Champ/Gold/Masters? I thought that didn't pass. :??

Still on 6.0 for next year, AFAIK. :roll:

Black Sheep
07-23-2009, 05:20 PM
In 2002, I went with a group to IWSA to train with the late Pieter Kollen for a day. They had different rinks in different floors of the building. Fascinating! 8-)

starskate6.0
07-23-2009, 09:35 PM
Oh, sure. The address of the rink is 34 Massachusetts Avenue (Route 111) Boxborough, MA 01720. Where would you be driving from? If someone were to fly in, it's about 40-45 minutes outside of Boston.

Thanks Stormy, Assuming I can recover in the next month Ill have to work my way back with a new program , My foot and shoulder are still in a lot of pain. If Im in any condition to skate in the next 2 months it will be something . :cry:. I skated today and all I could do was go forward and backward, no spins no jumps, nothing....:frus:. When did you say that competition was ???:?:

By the way , I may now be the oldest man in Gold mens,, I turned 50 tomorrow .....07/24.:giveup::giveup: Those young fellows arre going to kill me..:bow:

RachelSk8er
07-24-2009, 09:46 AM
Are Sectionals going to use IJS for Champ/Gold/Masters? I thought that didn't pass. :??

True. (I was in "reasons synchro sectionals end up on different weekends" mode. Now they combined mids/pacifics to being held at one location, but when it was 3 separate sections and IJS was brand spankin new, resources were stretched thin). Probably has more to do with the venue, then.

Speaking of which, I know dropping sectionals has been discussed in the past. I wonder if synchro's solution would be a viable alternative if that ever comes up again (which I'm sure it will, it does every year). They started combining mids with pacific sectionals in '08 and so far it's worked well. Still 2 separate competitions, just held at the same time/place and divisions are run back to back (so for example, if we ever did it, the midwest champ gold round would compete, followed by the pacific, and so on. Open events could be held separate or combined so there is less combining of age classes). Might be an option if they have trouble getting clubs to bid. Economically it wasn't that big of a deal. Cost-wise, it was the same or cheaper for the San Diego/LA teams to fly into Chicago for a combined Mids/Pacs as it would have been for them to go up to Seattle for just Pacs. You could combine mids/easterns too, it wouldn't have to be mids/pacs. Then you could factor the cost of implementing IJS between just two sectional competitions rather than three, and it might make it more of a reality.

aussieskater
07-24-2009, 05:37 PM
By the way , I may now be the oldest man in Gold mens,, I turned 50 tomorrow .....07/24.:giveup::giveup: Those young fellows arre going to kill me..:bow:

Happy birthday, starskate! Only another 50 until you get the telegram from the Queen :P

sk8er1964
07-24-2009, 06:28 PM
True. (I was in "reasons synchro sectionals end up on different weekends" mode. Now they combined mids/pacifics to being held at one location, but when it was 3 separate sections and IJS was brand spankin new, resources were stretched thin). Probably has more to do with the venue, then.

Speaking of which, I know dropping sectionals has been discussed in the past. I wonder if synchro's solution would be a viable alternative if that ever comes up again (which I'm sure it will, it does every year). They started combining mids with pacific sectionals in '08 and so far it's worked well. Still 2 separate competitions, just held at the same time/place and divisions are run back to back (so for example, if we ever did it, the midwest champ gold round would compete, followed by the pacific, and so on. Open events could be held separate or combined so there is less combining of age classes). Might be an option if they have trouble getting clubs to bid. Economically it wasn't that big of a deal. Cost-wise, it was the same or cheaper for the San Diego/LA teams to fly into Chicago for a combined Mids/Pacs as it would have been for them to go up to Seattle for just Pacs. You could combine mids/easterns too, it wouldn't have to be mids/pacs. Then you could factor the cost of implementing IJS between just two sectional competitions rather than three, and it might make it more of a reality.

It they combined Mids and Pacs, I would no longer go if it was on the west coast. Not important enough for the airfare, to me. The Colorado Springs Mids was the smallest that I've seen since I've been competing, I think for that reason.

starskate6.0
07-24-2009, 09:10 PM
Happy birthday, starskate! Only another 50 until you get the telegram from the Queen :P
I don't think the Queen has ever been a figure skater.....:lol: So long as I die on the ice , age won't matter...

vesperholly
07-25-2009, 03:44 PM
Speaking of which, I know dropping sectionals has been discussed in the past. I wonder if synchro's solution would be a viable alternative if that ever comes up again (which I'm sure it will, it does every year).
That's a really interesting idea. However, I think the reason why dropping Adult Sectionals is brought up so often is that it's an extremely misunderstood event. I don't know that many people (or Governing Council newbies) are aware that Sectionals is always held in conjunction with a club event, so it's not just the Championship events, and the competitions by and large are very profitable. Why drop profitable competitions just because they're small? Collegiate nationals is a small competition, and I've never heard anyone wanting to drop it.

And speaking of stretching IJS resources thin, didn't USFS schedule three Regionals concurrently? If they can stage three big Regionals at one time, they can certainly handle Adult Sectionals.

Thin-Ice
07-25-2009, 04:29 PM

I know several synchro skaters and their coaches and families who would disagree with this. Flying to Seattle is a one or two hour flight from San Diego, while Chicago is at least three hours... and you have to deal with the time changes. None of the skaters I know who go to Pac/Mids Synchros are happy about the combined-location idea. It also negates the idea the competitions will ever be on the west coast, since there is no facility likely to bid on it that is big enough for the combined event. And while it's fun to go somewhere every other year.. it's gets very expensive to do it EVERY year and know it will NEVER be in your basic area where your friends and family will be able to see what you spend all that time and money on.

jazzpants
07-25-2009, 05:03 PM
2010 Adult Pacific Coast: March 12-14, 2010, Anaheim, CA, Glacier Falls FSC and Pasadena FSCWHEEEEEE!!!! We're going to Disneyland!!! :mrgreen:

(Well, you might be, I'm not! WAAAAH!) :cry:

SkaterBird
07-30-2009, 09:12 AM
It they combined Mids and Pacs, I would no longer go if it was on the west coast. Not important enough for the airfare, to me. The Colorado Springs Mids was the smallest that I've seen since I've been competing, I think for that reason.

I'd go if it was in Seattle because I have relatives there that I could visit, and also because Seattle is a really neat place to visit. Marie, if they ever combine it and hold it in Seattle you should go - we can get early airfares and share a hotel room or something. Seattle is a neat, neat city and worth a trip.

Mimi

manleywoman
07-30-2009, 10:00 AM
THowever, I think the reason why dropping Adult Sectionals is brought up so often is that it's an extremely misunderstood event. I don't know that many people (or Governing Council newbies) are aware that Sectionals is always held in conjunction with a club event, so it's not just the Championship events, and the competitions by and large are very profitable. Why drop profitable competitions just because they're small?

Sigh.

I need to clarify your misunderstanding about the misunderstanding. :lol:

The idea to drop Sectionals was just to drop ONLY the qualifying events: Championship Gold Ladies/Men, Championship Masters/Ladies/Men, Championship Pairs and Championship Dance. The rest of the competition, the non-quals, did not need to be dropped, and therefore getting rid of 'Sectionals" meant just getting rid of the qualifying events only. The rest of the competition could still be held. Just those six events would have been eliminated.

It's not on the table, so it's not going to happen. But as someone who wrote the original proposal to eliminate the idea of qualifying at Sectionals for adults (and instead qualify at ANs), this constant misinformation about the original proposal really bugs me. It's one of the reasons people overreacted so badly when the idea was presented to the general adult skating population because it wasn't properly explained: everyone assumed that the Wyandottes and New Year's Invitationals and such would go away. That was NEVER the case.

I didn't see the survey that was presented to the general population until about a day before it made it's way to everyone, and when I saw it I immediately pointed out the confusion, but it was distributed anyway. Ever since then, Vesperholly's idea of what everyone thought was going to happen to Sectionals has been one of the biggest misunderstandings I've seen on the various adult skating message boards.

But again, to clarify, Sectionals is staying.

sk8er1964
07-30-2009, 06:32 PM
I'd go if it was in Seattle because I have relatives there that I could visit, and also because Seattle is a really neat place to visit. Marie, if they ever combine it and hold it in Seattle you should go - we can get early airfares and share a hotel room or something. Seattle is a neat, neat city and worth a trip.

Mimi

OK. I would consider Seattle - but only because I haven't been in Washington State and I'd like to someday get all of them (I'm missing 10). :halo:

BTW, there's a good chance I won't be at AN next year. :( Unless Michigan's economy turns around very quickly.....

SkaterBird
07-30-2009, 09:01 PM
OK. I would consider Seattle - but only because I haven't been in Washington State and I'd like to someday get all of them (I'm missing 10). :halo:

BTW, there's a good chance I won't be at AN next year. :( Unless Michigan's economy turns around very quickly.....

The economy is still pretty scary everywhere right now - I think that some parts of it are turning around, but employment, traditionally a lagging indicator, will probably not pick up for a while yet. And I have heard several people say that they are cutting back on competitions, including ANs, because of the economy and employment concerns. Not good. I really, really hope that Adults for Autism runs again next year, at least - I will have a pretty (really pretty) new Interp by then and A4A would be such a nice place to debut it!!!

vesperholly
07-31-2009, 02:03 AM
It's one of the reasons people overreacted so badly when the idea was presented to the general adult skating population because it wasn't properly explained: everyone assumed that the Wyandottes and New Year's Invitationals and such would go away. That was NEVER the case.
Ohh, now I'm confused. I never thought the club competitions would go away, nor did I know that there was a general fear of such a thing happening.

As the writer of the proposal, can you clarify for me: Was it just the elimination of the actual qualifying process at a Sectional event that was proposed? So there could still be a Sectional competition, it just wouldn't be qualifying?

Certainly you're better informed than I am to answer questons. Obviously I'm misinformed already! 8-)

Stormy
07-31-2009, 10:20 AM
As the writer of the proposal, can you clarify for me: Was it just the elimination of the actual qualifying process at a Sectional event that was proposed? So there could still be a Sectional competition, it just wouldn't be qualifying?

Certainly you're better informed than I am to answer questons. Obviously I'm misinformed already! 8-)

Sectionals is only the Championship qualifying events. The non-quals aren't Sectionals, they're just whatever Open competition is running in conjunction with Sectionals. The confusing part is that they're called the same thing most of the time. If you eliminated the qualifying parts, technically, there would be no Sectionals. You'd just have an Open that I guess you could call whatever you wanted. But it's wouldn't be a Sectionals as it wouldn't be a Qualifying event.

For instance, if you look at the entry form for this year's Easterns, you see that the non qual is the Central Carolina Adult Skating Classic- http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/events/200809/adultsectional-eastern/2009%20Eastern%20Adult%20Sectional%20NQ%20Announce ment.pdf

The Qualifying entry form says Eastern Adult Sectional Championships- http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/events/200809/adultsectional-eastern/2009%20Eastern%20Adult%20Sectional%20Announcement. pdf

mr7740
07-31-2009, 11:36 AM
Sectionals is only the Championship qualifying events. The non-quals aren't Sectionals, they're just whatever Open competition is running in conjunction with Sectionals. The confusing part is that they're called the same thing most of the time. If you eliminated the qualifying parts, technically, there would be no Sectionals. You'd just have an Open that I guess you could call whatever you wanted. But it's wouldn't be a Sectionals as it wouldn't be a Qualifying event.

For instance, if you look at the entry form for this year's Easterns, you see that the non qual is the Central Carolina Adult Skating Classic-

But then if they had not received the bid for sectionals would there still have been a Central Carolina Adult Skating Classic?

It seems that these clubs often have the adult competition because they were awarded sectionals and I think people are worried that will go away. Of course there are times when sectionals is added to an annual competition as it was to Wyandotte last year for Mids, but otherwise it seems the non-qual competition attached to sectionals would not happen.

Sure there are several adult competitions that happen annually, but the non-qual comp attached to sectionals seems to generally get better attendance.

Debbie S
07-31-2009, 11:42 AM
But then if they had not received the bid for sectionals would there still have been a Central Carolina Adult Skating Classic? Yes. I think that comp was moved up a couple of months in order to be in conjunction with Sectionals, but that and the other comps that host Sectionals will still exist as club comps, with all the non-qual events, as long as the host club wants to have them.

sk8er1964
07-31-2009, 12:38 PM
But then if they had not received the bid for sectionals would there still have been a Central Carolina Adult Skating Classic?

It seems that these clubs often have the adult competition because they were awarded sectionals and I think people are worried that will go away. Of course there are times when sectionals is added to an annual competition as it was to Wyandotte last year for Mids, but otherwise it seems the non-qual competition attached to sectionals would not happen.

Sure there are several adult competitions that happen annually, but the non-qual comp attached to sectionals seems to generally get better attendance.

I would assume that if Sectionals went away, so would the club comps that are attached to them. (Unless it was an already established competition like the DBNAI.)

saras
07-31-2009, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by mr7740

Yes. I think that comp was moved up a couple of months in order to be in conjunction with Sectionals, but that and the other comps that host Sectionals will still exist as club comps, with all the non-qual events, as long as the host club wants to have them.

I don't think that's a given - I'm not positive but I don't think (e.g.) that the NC club hosts the Adult Skating Classic during years when they don't host Eastern Adult Sectionals too. I could be wrong though. They COULD hold it, but it's not a given.

jazzpants
08-01-2009, 01:46 AM
No, dearie! You are a strong stubborn older b*****d that's NOT gonna let dem young'uns beat you w/o a fight... and as Dara Torres says "Age is just a number!!!" :twisted:

Happy Belated Birthday, BTW!!! Hope you had a wonderful time!!! :mrgreen:

sk8er1964
08-01-2009, 09:26 PM
No, dearie! You are a strong stubborn older b*****d that's NOT gonna let dem young'uns beat you w/o a fight... and as Dara Torres says "Age is just a number!!!" :twisted:

The oldest woman in championship gold ladies this year is the national champion. :bow:

SkaterBird
08-02-2009, 05:50 PM
The oldest woman in championship gold ladies this year is the national champion. :bow:

And she is one amazing lady, not just in skating either!!!:bow::bow::bow::bow::

doubletoe
08-02-2009, 06:28 PM

Yes, and she is 52, so she's in age class IV!

skaternum
08-03-2009, 08:14 AM
I don't think that's a given - I'm not positive but I don't think (e.g.) that the NC club hosts the Adult Skating Classic during years when they don't host Eastern Adult Sectionals too. I could be wrong though. They COULD hold it, but it's not a given.No, they don't usually hold a separate adult comp by name without Adult Sectionals. But they always have a full slate of adult events in their Central Carolina Classic. So that club always offers opportunities for adult skaters, no matter what.

Debbie S
08-03-2009, 08:55 AM
No, they don't usually hold a separate adult comp by name without Adult Sectionals. But they always have a full slate of adult events in their Central Carolina Classic. So that club always offers opportunities for adult skaters, no matter what.Ah, OK, that must have been the comp I was thinking of - I knew there was a Central Carolina Classic - I thought that was the one combined with Sectionals.

jazzpants
08-04-2009, 11:42 PM
Yes, and she is 52, so she's in age class IV!AND she's on this board too, though not lately... she's quite a "Cinderella" story there... ;) I want to be like her when I grow up!!! :mrgreen:

And starskate, I am still counting on you to work on double lutz and start getting your triples!!! So get to work!!! No excuses for you!!! :twisted: :P :lol:

manleywoman
08-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Stormy explained it properly.

Many competitions still exist without the Sectionals part . . . New Year's in DC, Wyandotte in MI for example. Some clubs that host Sectionals will wrap a full competition around it that does not necessarily occur annually without winning the Sectionals bid.

as it just the elimination of the actual qualifying process at a Sectional event that was proposed?

My proposal was to hold the qualifying rounds at ANs (either by adding a day to ANs, which is too difficult, or using the Open events as qualifying with a weighted system, or hold extra events) rather than at a Sectional event six weeks prior. It allowed competitors to save vacation time and money, plus allowed the ANs schedule to come out earlier since we no longer had to wait for Sectional results for the Referee to make the schedule, allowed the Men/Dance/Pairs who didn't really have to qualify due to so few entries from being forced to travel just to qualify, plus some other advantages for judges, etc etc etc. There were some cons too, but I thought the pros really outweighed the cons. However, it seems people really like their Sectionals. So it's staying, and is not even under discussion at the Adult Committee. And I can live with that. :) But since people asked I wanted to clarify what the hullaballo was about.

vesperholly
08-05-2009, 01:14 PM
Thanks Stormy and manleywoman for the clarification, and sorry to add to the confusion!! :halo:

SkaterBird
08-05-2009, 09:53 PM
Yes, and she is 52, so she's in age class IV!

Cinderella's birth certificate might indicate that she's 52, but really, she is ageless. Just ageless, and gorgeous on the ice.

NoVa Sk8r
08-10-2009, 12:10 PM
2010 Adult Eastern Sectional is listed as March 12-14 (same weekend as Mids (http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_details.asp?id=43368) and Pacifics (http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_details.asp?id=43369)):
http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_details.asp?id=43367

Stormy, isn't that the weekend of the new Colonial adult competition?

Stormy
08-10-2009, 01:28 PM
2010 Adult Eastern Sectional is listed as March 12-14 (same weekend as Mids (http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_details.asp?id=43368) and Pacifics (http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_details.asp?id=43369)):

Stormy, isn't that the weekend of the new Colonial adult competition?

Yup. We just realized that this morning and the date will likely be changed. Thanks for posting the new Easterns date though! :)

axelicious
08-10-2009, 01:28 PM
I live in Pittsburgh, PA so I must compete in Easterns, correct? I would prefer MIDS since so 3 hours closer- driving!! I will join usfsa probably as an individual member.

RachelSk8er
08-10-2009, 01:49 PM
I live in Pittsburgh, PA so I must compete in Easterns, correct? I would prefer MIDS since so 3 hours closer- driving!! I will join usfsa probably as an individual member.

You only have to go to your designated sectional competition if you are trying to qualify for a championship event. If you're just aiming to compete open events at ANs, you can go to whatever sectionals you want.

rlichtefeld
08-10-2009, 02:19 PM

US Figure Skating changed the designation of which regional/sectional you need to attend for qualifying events. If I remember correctly, it's the location of your primary training facility, not your club.

If you have to qualify for AN, you have to skate in the Adult Sectional that is for your location.

In the past some skaters (not usually adults) would club shop and join a club in a smaller region and compete there to qualify. The new rule is supposed to correct that.

Rob

saras
08-10-2009, 03:20 PM
US Figure Skating changed the designation of which regional/sectional you need to attend for qualifying events. If I remember correctly, it's the location of your primary training facility, not your club.

If you have to qualify for AN, you have to skate in the Adult Sectional that is for your location.

In the past some skaters (not usually adults) would club shop and join a club in a smaller region and compete there to qualify. The new rule is supposed to correct that.

Rob

I'm just curious. I changed clubs to a Pacifics club in 2008 in order to compete at Adult Pacifics - as they were offering non-qualifying patch events. I also competed in the Gold qualifying event, though I didn't qualify.

Sara

saras
08-10-2009, 06:07 PM

that was a mistake, they have corrected it, the correct dates are Feb 20-21 2010

Sara

doubletoe
08-10-2009, 06:19 PM

Rob

I just logged onto USFSA event registration for standard track Regionals to see what it said on the online form. The rules for Adult competitions must be the same as Novice, Junior and Senior, because Saras needed to change her home club to a Pacific Coast club in order to compete at a qualifying event at Pacific Coast last year. For Juvenile and Intermediate, the rules are slightly different. Here's what it says on the Regionals online application form:

Singles
• Novice, junior and senior level competitors register for the regional championships based upon home club affiliation or, if an individual member, permanent address
• All juvenile and intermediate singles competitors have the opportunity to register in either:
o the region of their permanent address OR
o the region of their principal training center
§ to register in the region of your principal training center, you must train there at least six (6) months and one (1) day from Sept. 1, 2008 – Sept. 1, 2009
§ Submission of false information regarding your training center will result in your disqualification from the regional championships

NoVa Sk8r
08-10-2009, 07:08 PM
that was a mistake, they have corrected it, the correct dates are Feb 20-21 2010

SaraThanks for the info!

sk8er1964
08-10-2009, 07:37 PM

I thought that if you were an individual member you could enter any section's qualifying - but I could be wrong. Is there a referee that you can check with?

vesperholly
08-10-2009, 11:17 PM

Looks like it will be Pacific Coast NQ for me, because this conflicts with my best friend's wedding!

:( I won't be going to Easterns, but :) my BF is getting married and I might see all my PC friends early!

I thought that if you were an individual member you could enter any section's qualifying - but I could be wrong. Is there a referee that you can check with?
Aren't Individual Members still registered to at least a section? They probably have to enter qualifying by their mailing address.

axelicious
08-12-2009, 10:53 AM
thanks everyone for your replies and input.

RachelSk8er
08-13-2009, 07:46 AM

Sara

So if sectionals are different weekends, someone could do more than one sectional if they are just doing open events, correct?

w.w.west
08-13-2009, 08:09 AM
So if sectionals are different weekends, someone could do more than one sectional if they are just doing open events, correct?

.....Yes :)

doubletoe
08-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Looks like it will be Pacific Coast NQ for me, because this conflicts with my best friend's wedding!

:( I won't be going to Easterns, but :) my BF is getting married and I might see all my PC friends early!

So you might be coming to PCAS? If so, at least you'll get a break from cold weather and get a side trip to Disneyland! ;)

rlichtefeld
08-13-2009, 02:14 PM
If you are just doing the non-qualifying events, you can do as many Adult Sectionals as you would like. And, the Local Organizing Committees would LOVE you!

Rob

vesperholly
08-13-2009, 05:52 PM
So you might be coming to PCAS? If so, at least you'll get a break from cold weather and get a side trip to Disneyland! ;)
I know!! I've never been to California, so I'm tenatively excited! :D

doubletoe
08-14-2009, 01:06 AM
I know!! I've never been to California, so I'm tenatively excited! :D

Oh, you'll have a blast, then! And the rink where we're having Sectionals is the rink where the Zamboni was invented. Kinda cool, huh? ;)

skaternum
08-14-2009, 09:01 AM
And the rink where we're having Sectionals is the rink where the Zamboni was invented. Kinda cool, huh? ;)

That IS cool!

mskater
08-18-2009, 01:01 PM
I am planning on competing this year in Hillsborough - so excited to do so since I took off all of last year. My only regret is that I am not yet ready to compete so had to skip Peach Classic this year. I am thinking about trying one of the other events held on the east coast - anyone else doing the New Years or Halloween event?

NoVa Sk8r
08-18-2009, 02:38 PM
Glad to hear you're competing this year. 8-)
I am thinking of doing the Halloween Classic--but only for pairs, if there are other teams to compete against!

Stormy
08-18-2009, 03:19 PM
I am planning on competing this year in Hillsborough - so excited to do so since I took off all of last year. My only regret is that I am not yet ready to compete so had to skip Peach Classic this year. I am thinking about trying one of the other events held on the east coast - anyone else doing the New Years or Halloween event?

I am defintiely skipping Halloween (that rink is too darn cold!!!) but am planning on NYI. I liked NYI and there were a lot of competitors. I am SO PSYCHED that you will be competing this year!! :bow:

RachelSk8er
08-19-2009, 07:20 AM
I am defintiely skipping Halloween (that rink is too darn cold!!!) but am planning on NYI. I liked NYI and there were a lot of competitors. I am SO PSYCHED that you will be competing this year!! :bow:

Yeah New Years was fun last year! Not sure if I'll be there, I'll have to sit down and look at the schedules between NYI, Mids and Wyandotte and pick and choose, since I can't do all 3.

mskater
08-23-2009, 10:30 PM
Glad to hear you're competing this year. 8-)
I am thinking of doing the Halloween Classic--but only for pairs, if there are other teams to compete against!

Thanks Nova - will be good to see you whether you end up doing pairs or singles (or both) :] As for now I have no program and am just trying to get some jumps and spins back solidly. General Question here: have you ever gone outside of your coach(s) just to have a new program choreographed? I love my coaches but I kind of want a new influence in my new program...

-Cheers!