View Full Version : Levels in the U.S.

JDC1
10-08-2002, 03:38 PM
Where can I find out what "level" I am on? My coaches are really pretty casual about that stuff and I'm in a group called "low free style". I can spin on 2feet, getting there on 1 foot, have solid toe loop, waltz, so-so salchow, am reallyclose to my lutz and flip. I've "learned" fairly advanced moves in the field but have really only "mastered" up to alternating 3's. Brackets aren't bad but there not really perfect yet. Anyway I went on the USFSA web site to try and find a link for Adult levels but I had no luck. Would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,
Jackie

backspin
10-08-2002, 04:00 PM
It sounds like you're just about ready to test Adult Pre-bronze. You need a 1-foot spin, but it's only 3 revs, so you're probably pretty close on that. You do that test without music, & you just do each element individually.

For adult bronze, you'll need a good salchow, a waltz-toe combination, toe loop, & one other single jump. Also, an upright forward spin (4 revs), a sit spin (3 revs), & a backspin (3 revs). For that test you have a program set to music, which is 1:40 long.

Here's a link that shows all the test info:

http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_rules/singles_fs_test_elements_adult.htm

jenlyon60
10-08-2002, 04:23 PM
Join USFSA (either as an individual member or thru one of the clubs).

Volunteer to help at a few test sessions (MITF/FS and/or dance)--it'll give you a chance to see the quality of what's required for USFSA testing (adult and standard track). Since you're in the DC area as I recall from some of your other postings, I can tell you, Washington FSC can always use volunteers... I'm sure the other clubs are the same way. If you're interested in joining WFSC, PM me and I'll give you the name/number of our membership chairperson.

Buy a rulebook (I don't know if you can buy one as a non-member) and it has the diagrams for the MITF, so that you and your coach can more easily work your goals.

Remember, on the USFSA adult track... now one must pass MITF before testing the corresponding Freestyle. The Pre-Bronze MITF and FS are both pass/fail encouragement tests, though. Having said that, it is in the skater's best interest to have the elements well above test standard (allows for nervousness, bad ice, etc).

Hope this helps.

--jsl

Artistic Skaters
10-08-2002, 08:17 PM
Non-members can buy rulebooks. You can get the order form on the USFSA site or you can also purchase one at a lot of pro or skate shops, or mail order through Rainbo.

JDC1
10-09-2002, 08:15 AM
A rule book would be a good idea. :-) My coach is a sweetie but she doesn't always seem totally focused so I'd like to start focusing her on my testing in the next few months. The only thing holding me back is spinning, my mitf are pretty good and my salchow needs polishing. I think next lesson we'll work on the salchow, I just need more time on it and I can get it smoother.