View Full Version : Washington D.C. ice rinks?

herniated
07-12-2009, 10:49 AM
Hi all!

Here's another question..do any of you know or skate at any rinks in the Washington D.C. area or suburbs of D.C? We will be vacationing there in August.

AgnesNitt
07-12-2009, 11:02 AM
Fairfax
Dale City
Fort Dupont
Cabin John
Mount Vernon
Ashland
Waldorf
Wheaton
Tucker Road
Laurel

Try googling washington dc ice skating rinks

Scarlett
07-12-2009, 11:31 AM
There are a plethora of rinks in the area with both public and freestyle sessions. Traffic in the area is "difficult" at the best of times so your choice of rink depends on what area of the "city" you are staying in and whether or not you have access to a car or are relying on public transportation. For example, Wheaton and Mt. Vernon may only be 20 miles from each other but in this area that could mean a drive of up to 2 hours. There are a lot of posters who live in that area and we will be glad to point you in the right direction. We just need a little more info.

herniated
07-12-2009, 03:14 PM
Thanks guys!! When I book my hotel I'll let you all know where it is. And I will have my car.

MusicSkateFan
07-12-2009, 03:33 PM
Don't forget:
Arlington (KCI)
Fort Dupont SE DC
Reston
Ashburn

WFSC.net

click on the affiliated rinks link and you will find several.

herniated
07-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Ok, We are thinking of staying at a Marriott hotel in Clinton,Maryland near the airforce base. The web site says it is only about 10 miles to D.C. It's called the Town Place Suites by Marriott. And it's 4 miles from the Metro. Not that that matters regarding rinks? What do I know. Lol.

Query
07-12-2009, 05:22 PM
I maintain a web page about this at
http://mgrunes.com/dcicerinks.html

AFAIK all local rinks except Wheaton Ice Arena allow freestyle and dance moves during public sessions (and Wheaton only enforces their rules erratically), though it is impractical during some of the more crowded sessions. Many weekday daytime public and freestyle sessions are uncrowded (0-10 people most days). Some dance sessions contain very aggressive people, and some are the most dangerous sessions to skate in.

Like Scarlett said, traffic is awful around DC, particularly in DC itself, Virginia, and Montgomery County Maryland. That means you don't want to go far from where you are. (Multi-hour delays are frequent, especially 7:30-10:30 AM and 2:30-7:30 PM weekdays.) Cost differences are mostly negligible, compared to the cost of gas.

Click on the "Overall Map" link,

http://mgrunes.com/dcicerinksmap.html

then zoom in to the area you are interested in. (By setting your browser zoom factor to 1, dragging your area to the center on the screen, then clicking the "+" symbol near the upper left, and repeat.) Then click on a desired location "+" symbol.

Outdoor rinks will be closed in August. So will some indoor.

To echo what Scarlett asked again:

Where will you be staying? Then we can give you more specific suggestions.

Also, will you have a car? Only two rinks are close to the metrorail system.

herniated
07-12-2009, 05:32 PM
Query, we will be staying in Clinton,Maryland

Query
07-12-2009, 05:57 PM
Capital Club House is in Clinton. Clinton borders on being rural.

http://mgrunes.com/dcicerinks.html#cch

Public session skaters there tend to be beginners who you have to be careful to avoid, because they tend to stand still a lot in many places. But they aren't very crowded.

Regretfully, the most obvious routes for you to take to get to other rinks, involving the Indian Head Highway (210) are sometimes hard to access because 210 gets crowded during rush hour into DC in the morning and out of DC in the evening. I personally love Bowie Ice Arena (people watch out for each other a little better there, and there are more daytime public sessions / weekday), but it is a much further drive from you. A few others are closer than Bowie, but the 210 thing is a problem if you go anywhere but Clinton.

Capital Club House has one of the best boot fitters and sharpeners in the area, Mike Cunningham (not the hockey guy), appointments may need to be scheduled a few weeks in advance. Bowie has two more of the best, Chuck Fox (at the pro shop) and Don Giese (mostly retired - I think especially good at modifying boots and at unusual custom blade reshapes, though different people have very different people they love).

Why would anyone vacation near DC in August? It's hot, and rains most afternoons.

BTW, DC metro area has lots and lots of ballroom and social dance (dozens or hundreds of places every day, many styles), exotic restaurantes, wonderful sea and whitewater kayaking. There are a few museums too, and something called a federal government. DC city politics are entertaining, unless you live there.

Don't speed or go through red lights. Traffic cameras are a source of income many places here. If you will drive much, get a GPS (built in traffic is nice) - many roads are unmarked.

Have fun and stay cool!

herniated
07-12-2009, 06:23 PM
Hi Query,
The Capitol Club house is in Waldorf but I called them and they don't have early morning free style. That wouldn't work for me.

Query
07-12-2009, 06:47 PM
Sorry. CCH is very close to Clinton.

Next closest is Tucker Road. I haven't been there. Slightly rough area. No early morning sessions in July, as far as I can tell.

Then Mount Vernon, though there may be another traffic jam driving into and out of Virginia. Sometimes crowded, but they do have early morning freestyles, though you should call them to find out if they enforce their rule of getting approved for freestyles, with a coach's note.

Then Bowie, my favorite. Not sure if they will have early morning freestyles (July there is wierd, summer "camps"), but the daytime publics including 9-12 AM they will probably have in August are great for freestyle practice.

If none of those work, just look at the map link on my web site, and play with the links to schedules. If any of the links don't work anymore, tell me, and search for the rink name at a search engine.

Enough, I've spent too much time on this. Look at my web page for links to rink schedules. Though July and August are not the same.

herniated
07-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Thanks I'll check out the rinks you suggested. I did find kettler capitals iceplex and it seems I wouldn't have to take 210. I mapquested it and they have early morning frees. I need to be off ice by 8am.

We are going in August because my kid's off from school and it works out for the husband.:lol:

Scarlett
07-12-2009, 06:56 PM
If you are in staying in Clinton, I would suggest Mt. Vernon in Alexandria. They run freestyles all day (starting at 6 am) and while the kids are high level they are also friendly. Bowie Ice Rink has public sessions that might be doable though I haven't skated there in a while and is also close to Clinton. Avoid rush-hour and you should be fine.

Go to www.wfsc.net That is the washington figure skating clubs home page. They link all the area rinks.

Query
07-12-2009, 07:15 PM
Kettler's is a long ways away. Many potential traffic jams.

www.wfsc.net doesn't link to quite all the local rinks, not sure why, though they have some too far afield for me to list.

Enough.

mdvask8r
07-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Herniated --
Coming from Clinton, I recommend Mt Vernon. Easy drive across the Wilson Bridge into Virginia. 6AM freestyles are usually quite empty until the kids start arriving between 7:30-8AM. I'm there most mornings - hope to meet you! PM me if you want more details/directions.

herniated
07-12-2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks guys! I did call Mt.Vernon and they do indeed have early morning freestyles! When I mapquested it it is supposed to take 20min but the guy at the rink said to give it 30-35min. Which I would anyway. lol. And mdvask8r I will definitely pm you.

Normally I'd just not skate but I'm testing at the end of the month and taking 5 full days off the ice two weeks before a test? Not too comfortable with that. 8O

You are all great!! If any of you ever come to NY let me know!!

herniated
08-13-2009, 03:18 PM
Made it to Mt.Vernon Rec center this morning and met mdvask8r for the 6am freestyle!! What a great facility and great skate this morning!! So great to meet mdvask8r! DH and DS came with me and pretended to be sleeping on a bench in the lobby. They made quite the scene!! Silly boys!

Thanks again mdvask8r for 'driving' us out of there! Skating is always a great way to start the day. Except maybe when you have to walk all over D.C. for the rest of the day! lol

mdvask8r
08-13-2009, 07:21 PM
So glad we could meet this AM. It was great fun- and your family is delightful. Enjoy the rest of your stay in DC!!

Scarlett
08-13-2009, 09:23 PM
Sorry I missed you guys...

Herniated...Hope you enjoyed the city...the weather has cooled down so hopefully it wasn't unbearable. Mt. Vernon has early morning fs 7 days a week...Hope you can drop by a couple more times before you head back to NY.

Query
08-14-2009, 12:15 PM
Sorry I missed you too.

When are you skating there next?

Park close to the entrance, so no one breaks into your car.

Maybe DH and DS can use the pool or exercise facilities while you skate? (Then again, at 6 AM, maybe they'd rather sleep.)

So, why did you choose the hot DC summer to visit?

happysk8tes
08-14-2009, 01:00 PM
Have anyone of you in the Washington DC area ever skated at the Smithsonian National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden rink? I've always wanted to skate there.

Pat

mdvask8r
08-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Yes, I've skated at the Sculpture Garden. It's fun, though the rink is tiny and usually crowded. They have a cute little mini-zamboni.

herniated
08-14-2009, 05:14 PM
Hi Guys!!

I'm not skating any more this week, we go home tomorrow!!! And we chose this time of year due to my Dh and Ds's schedules. If any of you are ever in NY let me know!!

herniated
08-15-2009, 07:17 PM
Home at last!!!!!

blackmanskating
08-16-2009, 07:27 PM
Hey Herniated!!! I'm so sorry I missed you!!! :cry: I wish I didn't miss the chance to meet you. That really sucks. Well I hope you enjoyed your time here.

BlackManSkating

herniated
08-16-2009, 07:31 PM
Hey Herniated!!! I'm so sorry I missed you!!! :cry: I wish I didn't miss the chance to meet you. That really sucks. Well I hope you enjoyed your time here.

BlackManSkating

UGGGHHHH!!! Me Too!!! I haven't seen you post in awhile so I thought maybe you weren't skating at the moment!!! Darn it!!! And it does suck!!

We did enjoy our trip. I'm still recovering from all the walking. Can't believe I missed you too. Damn. lol.

blackmanskating
08-16-2009, 07:43 PM
UGGGHHHH!!! Me Too!!! I haven't seen you post in awhile so I thought maybe you weren't skating at the moment!!! Darn it!!! And it does suck!!

We did enjoy our trip. I'm still recovering from all the walking. Can't believe I missed you too. Damn. lol.

I know I haven't posted in a while. I've been crazy busy lately. I've been searching for a new job and it's completely changed my skating schedule and my skating allowance. LOL I've coming off of a nagging knee injury that took a few months to recover from. So I fell off the skating radar for a while. But I'm getting back into it. I'm supposed to be taking it easy, but I still do a few axels and a double sal or two while I'm out there. I'm not stopping until I land a double axel!!!! It would've been great to be out there on the ice with you. Having other adult skaters around me really motivates me. Skating around kids doing triples all day can be a real drag sometimes. I wonder if Adult Nationals will be motivating like that. Being around so many skaters close to my age and skill level will probably be a rush!!!

BlackManSkating

herniated
08-16-2009, 08:03 PM
So sorry about the knee injury! You know if jumping bothers it there is always 'the dance'!! :lol:

Are you planning on going to AN this year? I probably won't due to $ and time constraints but I'm not closing the door on it either. If I pass my Bronze dances then I can solo dance at AN. At the end of the month I'll be testing my pre-bronze dances. My coach seems to think I can pass the Bronze by the application deadline,so we'll see what happens.

And yes, AN is a total rush!!!