View Full Version : Blade Length compared to Boot Length

katz in boots
07-11-2009, 03:27 AM
I know, you should buy blades that are 1/4" shorter than the boot length.

But what if there were real bargains to be had, and they didn't have your size? Like instead of 9 3/4" you could have 9 1/3" or 10" ?
Which would you go for, the one a bit too short or the one a bit too long?
Or would you ignore the bargains and get the right size?

dbny
07-11-2009, 01:42 PM
It's OK for the very tip of the toe plate to project a smidgen past the boot sole. Lots of skaters get their blades as long as possible. I wouldn't go shorter.

Swizzler
07-11-2009, 03:16 PM
My last blades were a smidgen too short. Although I adapted to them, I am faring much better on my new blades, which are the right length.

xgskate
07-12-2009, 03:17 AM
If you have different brand and/or model of blades, then you might have a larger size blade ( length between the front and back tips of the mounting plates) of one model with a shorter length of the actual blade measured from toepick to heel.

But skating with a pair of blades not of the 'correct' size would give you an extra reason to blame on the blades. It may become harder to make improvement if one starts blaming his problems on blades. In this case, maybe just spend the extra dollars and get the peace of mind. This is what I did lately with a similar situation. But if I was able to make actual measurement and compare side-by-side, I could have decided to take the bargain if the measurement supports such decision.

SkatEn
07-12-2009, 03:23 AM
My last blades were a smidgen too short. Although I adapted to them, I am faring much better on my new blades, which are the right length.
Same here. But mine are slightly more than a little too short.

But skating with a pair of blades not of the 'correct' size would give you an extra reason to blame on the blades. It may become harder to make improvement if one starts blaming his problems on blades. In this case, maybe just spend the extra dollars and get the peace of mind. This is what I did lately with a similar situation. But if I was able to make actual measurement and compare side-by-side, I could have decided to take the bargain if the measurement supports such decision.

I agree that you may get tempted to blame your blades.

My current pair are end-to-end on the boots. The previous pair is maybe a quarter or half an inch short. It's okay to skate, but after changing, I find that my MITF are so much better. I feel more flow. If the longer blade is just a small smidgen over the boot that it is not very noticeable, I'll say go for that. Don't have a blade too short because you don't want to fall off it. A little more work at turning too.

May I know where are the bargains? My friend is looking for a cheap pair of good blades!:)

katz in boots
07-13-2009, 03:56 AM
May I know where are the bargains? My friend is looking for a cheap pair of good blades!:)

8-) Seriously? And have them snatched out from under my nose ???
Ebay, actually.

As for blaming blades, I'm already doing that, hence the desperation to change. I've been on an 8' rocker for a year and want to go back to 7'. I figure a year is enough to know that I still can't take off edge jumps the way I could before.

I measured my existing blades today, and they do seem end-to-end of the mounting to be closer to the 10" than the 9 3/4" they say they are. I had too-long blades on my last boots, 10 1/3" but didn't find that a problem. I'd skated in those blades in my 20s, so maybe that's just what I was used to.

Lots of skaters get their blades as long as possible.
what's the advantage in that? I assume shorter blades = easier footwork, but does a longer blade make landings easier?

dbny
07-13-2009, 09:53 AM
what's the advantage in that? I assume shorter blades = easier footwork, but does a longer blade make landings easier?

A little more stability and faster as there's more blade in contact with the ice when you land and when you push. I'm sure someone here would want to argue about that, but that's the reasoning behind it.

Skittl1321
07-13-2009, 10:06 AM
I think it's also because many skaters are still growing- and an "as long as possible" blade on one boot will generally fit the next one.