View Full Version : Question regarding competition requirements

san
07-10-2009, 03:19 PM
I have a question about test requirements and how they relate to competition requirements. There's a competition coming up that I'm considering where the announcement states:

ADULT SILVER (Men/Ladies)
Open to skaters who are 21 years of age or over as of July 13, 2009, who have passed the Adult Bronze Free Skating test and no higher than the Adult Silver/Juvenile Free Skating test.

So does that mean I have to pass my Silver FS test in order to skate at Silver in the competition? Or does it mean that since I've passed my Bronze FS, can I compete at Silver?

Thanks in advance!

herniated
07-10-2009, 03:29 PM
From what you wrote you can skate in Silver.

san
07-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Thanks, herniated. That's how I interpreted the announcement, too. I have a 2:10 program ready to go, but don't have time to test before the comp.

herniated
07-10-2009, 05:24 PM
Your weeellllcome! It's called skating ..up! Have fun!

coskater64
07-10-2009, 08:29 PM
Of course at nationals (adult) you will need to have passed your silver fm/silver fs to compete at the level. You may only skate up at the non-quals and it depends on their rules per the competition announcement.

san
07-10-2009, 10:28 PM
Thanks, coskater.

I've passed Silver MITF, so I feel sort of in limbo between the two levels. I'm a little hesitant to test the Silver FS and then be locked in to that level b/c I don't have an axel for competition. I thought it would be a good experience to try Silver at this competition and see how it went.

herniated
07-11-2009, 08:49 AM
coskater is correct! I left out that part. I don't blame you for not wanting to test the free. But a lot of skaters do not have the axel and do very well. I don't have one and am silver..I'm not a good example though because I don't place well in the free skates. :lol:

Skittl1321
07-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Thanks, coskater.

I've passed Silver MITF, so I feel sort of in limbo between the two levels. I'm a little hesitant to test the Silver FS and then be locked in to that level b/c I don't have an axel for competition. I thought it would be a good experience to try Silver at this competition and see how it went.

It is very normal to be a MITF level above where you skate. Heck, you might even get your Gold MITF before you move out of Bronze FS. However, if you have the skills for Silver FS, most Bronze skaters will be very thankful to you for skating up. :)

san
07-11-2009, 01:26 PM
LOL, Skittl! I don't know how relieved some of the Bronze skaters will be once they see me skate! ;) But you're right about the MITF--I'm working on Gold right now.

I have never competed as an adult, so I'm just starting to venture out in local non-qualifying events. I think what has me spooked is that I was reading summaries of Bronze freeskates from Adult Nationals, and people had lutz/loop/loop combos in their Bronze programs. Egads. But that's encouraging, herniated, that not all the Silver ladies have axels. I had an axel decades ago, but I'm not real sure there's a lot of hope of it ever resurfacing. :roll:

herniated
07-11-2009, 02:03 PM
San, you are funny. I'm sure you are a beautiful skater!! And you never know..the axel may return especially if you had it before.

A good friend of mine placed second I believe in Silver ladies free two years ago at AN with out an axel. Her overall skating and other elements were gorgeous. She didn't need the axel.