View Full Version : jr bronze skills

613fan
07-10-2009, 09:05 AM
anyone have any links to canadian rule books for jr bronze skills? or preferably, any videos? I'm learning these for testing, and my coach seems to have forgotten the patterns.

also, any tips for the change of edge 3s?

thanks!

jp1andOnly
07-10-2009, 09:24 AM
In the members only section you will find all the skill patterns. You can look them up or your coach can.

anyone have any links to canadian rule books for jr bronze skills? or preferably, any videos? I'm learning these for testing, and my coach seems to have forgotten the patterns.

also, any tips for the change of edge 3s?

thanks!

sk8tmum
07-10-2009, 04:14 PM
and, remember that the "music" part of skills isn't measured or evaluated any longer. Music was eliminated from skills a year ago. If your coach has been out of touch with the skills for a while s/he might not be aware of that. Weirdly enough, I had to show the rule change to a coach who has been actively coaching skills not realizing that pacing and musicality weren't being measured; she just thought that "not having the music" made it harder to pass that aspect, so kept playing the music even though everyone else had stopped using it!8O

CanadianAdult
07-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Unless you're horribly slow in doing power circles, use the music for the test. That's the only part of the test where music matters, as in, if you are using the music you better be on time. Every judge has that music imbedded in their brain anyway, and is probably humming along. The important part of power circles is to get the timing, of slow, medium fast, or 2,4,8, there's different ways of describing the crosscuts required. Don't do 2/5/8910 but keep it even, whether it is to the music or to your own pace.
Its true that pacing/timing isn't evaluated anymore, but, as we've discovered in our rink, music hides a multitude of scratchy edge noises. They could be good edge noises, but it's so quiet when testing without music that it freaks out the kids. If you think about it, most skating sessions are loud and busy with some sort of music playing. Take all that away and listen to yourself......eeeekkkk! So more tests are going out with music, probably two thirds of them which is a flip from a year ago.

Change threes? Leg Pulls :twisted: Lots of them, especially backwards. You'll learn to love your bad side. :P

613fan
07-13-2009, 08:23 AM
wow, i had no idea about the change of music. thanks so much!
canadian adult, what do you mean by "leg pulls"?
thanks!