View Full Version : Spins - how do you count revs while in it?

PinkLaces
07-07-2009, 10:30 PM
Tonight in my group lesson, we were working on the ISI 3 change foot spin. I asked the coach how you know when you have enough revs to change feet. She said that she picks a line on the wall and counts. That didn't work too well for me. It threw me off totally. She said one of her students looks down. That didn't work for me either. I usually look at my tracings after the spin or ask my coach or DD how many I did. What do you do?

ibreakhearts66
07-07-2009, 10:40 PM
For scratch spins, I honestly can't count as I usually get going too fast toward the middle/end. However, for other spins I'll do a few different things. If I'm in a lesson or if there is someone standing still on the ice, I'll count how many times I see them. Otherwise, instead of picking a specific line or something small, I'll usually just count each time I "see" an entire side of the rink. It takes some practice to be accurate, but over time it gets pretty easy.

Stormy
07-08-2009, 07:16 AM
That's what I do too, in a scratch or back scratch it's too hard to count, but for other spins, I look at a certain side of the rink or a door and count it as I go around. It does take a little practice.

doubletoe
07-08-2009, 12:57 PM
In addition to counting how many times I see a side of the rink, there are two other ways that help me count revolutions. First, I'll count and have my coach also count, and see how far off I was. Then I'll know that on that particular type of spin (usually camel spin), what feels like 4 to me is really just 3. The other way is to listen to my blade. There's a bit of a scraping sound that happens on the bottom pick with each revolution, and after I've been practicing a spin for awhile (like my sitspin), I know the timing and actually hear each revolution.

RachelSk8er
07-08-2009, 01:21 PM
The other way is to listen to my blade. There's a bit of a scraping sound that happens on the bottom pick with each revolution, and after I've been practicing a spin for awhile (like my sitspin), I know the timing and actually hear each revolution.

That's how most of my spins are. The only spin where I ever bother to count visually is a camel/flying camel because it's easy to do (you see where you're at and are spinning more slowly anyway). But since I'm not under IJS yet and my spins aren't that complicated (at most a change of foot and a change of position or two and no positions I'm not comfortable with) I'm not really worried about getting in enough revs.

On my sit-back sit, I actually count seconds more than revolutions because my problem is actually staying in the forward sit longer than I need and making the spin too long for its spot in my program. On all my spins, I also count the seconds comning out of the real spin position into a scratch or back scratch position just to make sure I don't hang out there and keep spinning too long like I sort of have a tendency to do.

Skittl1321
07-08-2009, 01:50 PM
The only spin where I ever bother to count visually is a camel/flying camel because it's easy to do (you see where you're at and are spinning more slowly anyway).

Counting my camel spin is super easy. "1... damn"

I don't count revolutions for my sit spin, I just get the "feel" that I've been around 5-6 times, which means I'm over the required 3.

ibreakhearts66
07-08-2009, 06:19 PM
The other way is to listen to my blade. There's a bit of a scraping sound that happens on the bottom pick with each revolution, and after I've been practicing a spin for awhile (like my sitspin), I know the timing and actually hear each revolution.

I count by listening as well sometimes, but that's hard to explain over the internet. Also, my forward sit has become eerily silent, so it doesn't really work. How I manage a silent sit on paramounts I have no idea, but it's a very cool/odd sensation.

doubletoe
07-08-2009, 09:51 PM

ROFL! :lol: Been there!

katz in boots
07-09-2009, 04:21 AM

That is so funny! I know what you're talking about with that one.:lol:

PinkLaces
07-09-2009, 07:45 AM
I hear ya on that one. Mine is so slow I have to fight for 2.

The other way is to listen to my blade. Interesting. I'll have to listen for it.

I'll usually just count each time I "see" an entire side of the rink. I tried that it worked a lot better. Thanks for the tip!

Someday, I'll get to point where I can just count seconds and have to worry about a spin being too long. Right now every rev matters :) Especially on the change foot - need 3 forward, 3 back, and 3 forward again.

Kat12
07-12-2009, 07:07 PM
Yes, since I am only up to 2-foot spins, I just start facing one end of the rink and try to count each time I see it go by. I admit I get lost once I get past three, though, or if I start to get going too fast. Today i was making my partner count revolutions, which is lazy, I know...

londonicechamp
07-13-2009, 02:57 AM
Hi doubletoe

What is ROFL?

Well, I normally get my change foot spin tracing from the ice. I do know that I have exceeded the minimum requirements during practice, as I have 5 to 6 revolutions on the right leg, then 4 revolutions on the left leg (leg wide open), and another 5 revolutions on the right leg, so a total of 14 to 15 revolutions.

For my scratch spin, most of the times during practice, I normally can count the revolutions, as they are not that fast yet, and I do know that I usually exceed 6 revolutions or at least have 6 revolutions, which is the minimum requirements.

Backward pivot, I think that I am getting there, as ISI requirements said only need 1.5 revolutions. :)

I discovered that when I look at the ice whilst doing the change foot spin, I will feel dizzy. However, if I do not look at the ice, then I will not feel dizzy, anybody have that same issue as me? :roll:

londonicechamp

kayskate
07-13-2009, 07:31 AM
I agree w the pick a spot on the wall method. My coach used to count for me, so I would get a feel for how long to spin.

Kay

doubletoe
07-14-2009, 12:15 PM
Hi doubletoe

What is ROFL?

"Rolling On the Floor Laughing"

hanca
07-14-2009, 05:07 PM

I don't count revolutions for my sit spin, I just get the "feel" that I've been around 5-6 times, which means I'm over the required 3.

Same with the camel spin. One, two or three, no problem with counting because I can feel it. (the revolution are quite slow on my camel spin)

Same with sit spin, usually 5-6 so ot doesn't really matter how many as long as it is over 3. Usually I can feel it too.

Upright sin - I travel on this one so I can count loop on the ice.