View Full Version : Locked Knee when Spinning

katz in boots
07-06-2009, 03:54 AM
Oh dear :frus: . I can't get my posture right in scratch & back scratch spins. Coach thought it was a core strength issue and the need to stretch up while pulling in tummy & butt. While practising the position last night, I suddenly felt what happens - I lock the skating knee.

I know when I skated years ago, if I felt a spin travelling badly I would lock the skating knee and that helped me hold onto it to make a controlled exit. It seems since my return to the ice, I have gotten into the habit of always locking the knee in spins - as well as popping up into that locked position way too early. No wonder my knees hurt :roll: . Only happens on upright spins, not camels.

So now I have to learn to spin with a slightly flexed knee - without losing the spin spot or getting too far back on the blade.

Anyone else had to unlearn this? Anyone got tips or hints on how to undo this bad habit really quickly???

jp1andOnly
07-06-2009, 09:01 AM
I have the opposite in camel spins. I need to pull that knee up but I dont. Grrrr

RachelSk8er
07-06-2009, 11:58 AM
Think more of yourself as rising in the knee, rather than straightening it.

katz in boots
07-06-2009, 05:33 PM
I have the opposite in camel spins. I need to pull that knee up but I dont. Grrrr

Yeah, I don't lock up into camel spins, I can easily hold down for a rev or two before straightening up, and I don't think I lock my knee even then.

I think there must be a problem with my scratch entry, that I cut it short and shoot up onto a locked leg. I suspect it is partly a posture issue, that I can't hold the edge long enough to curl the edge around longer and from back xo entry, it feels like I'm going to run out of the energy to create a spin.

I notice my forward scratch spin tracings often have the 3 turn followed by one loop which travels, then once I lock my knee I get a proper, centred (sometimes) spin tracing.

doubletoe
07-06-2009, 05:55 PM
Yep, I used to lock my knee straight on scratch spins. What helped me most was to focus on pressing the ball of the blade harder and harder into the ice as the spin got faster. To do that, you need to bend the knee a tiny bit.

katz in boots
07-08-2009, 04:01 AM
Thanks, I'll try those tips tomorrow morning and let you know how I get on.

SkatEn
07-08-2009, 04:23 AM
I think there must be a problem with my scratch entry, that I cut it short and shoot up onto a locked leg. I suspect it is partly a posture issue, that I can't hold the edge long enough to curl the edge around longer and from back xo entry, it feels like I'm going to run out of the energy to create a spin.

I notice my forward scratch spin tracings often have the 3 turn followed by one loop which travels, then once I lock my knee I get a proper, centred (sometimes) spin tracing.

When I travel, I see the 3 turn, follow by the meandering loops. You shouldn't be seeing a very obvious 3 turn. I think spins are supposed to start immediately after the turn. Keep experimenting with then degree of bent knees and your arms. I will do that until I find a way that centers my spins.

Good luck! I think spins are difficult to explain!

doubletoe
07-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Another thing to focus on is the entrance edge. Tell yourself you're going into a sitspin, not a scratch spin, and that should make you bend your knee more deeply. The deeper knee bend will not only keep you from popping up too soon, but it will also give you a deeper, rounder edge, which will center the spin better.

katz in boots
07-09-2009, 03:53 AM
Thanks Doubletoe. I didn't get much chance to try it today, my 1 hour session was all lesson. I told coach what I had realised, and she thought my backspins looked better, though they didn't feel it. Will get more of a chance Saturday morning.

katz in boots
07-11-2009, 03:08 AM
I worked on this quite a lot today. I found it relatively easy to not lock the knee once I started thinking about it, and yes, pressing into the ice did help.

It seems most of the problem is popping up too early. Will work more on it tomorrow.