View Full Version : Buying Skating Dresses, Tips, Hints and Ideas

slusher
07-05-2009, 12:27 PM
It's the off season so I decide to cruise eBay for some skating dress ideas. I never actually bought from eBay because no one cuts big enough for me, or charges too much to do so, even the China sellers. I mostly sew my own but am bored and would actually buy something that's different.

What has happened to eBay? It's all commercial sellers, most of them from China, or a suspiciously sounding "American" shipping location. There are some small home manufacturers, the often mentioned Wonderland for one, which I've bookmarked for a possibility, but quite a few stores that I had reference to are closed, or offline.

There are hardly any single or small sellers with used items. I'm sure all of us together on this board could easily have 1000 items that we'd like to sell, but ebay doesn't seem to be the place for it anymore.

A bit of googling and I get wind of some policy changes with eBay that seem to have rewarded commercial sellers of new goods more than the used or one of a kind seller.

So I got some good ideas for airbrushing and crystals, but didn't see a lot of sleeves, or anything that would cover my ample rear end. I also didn't see very much in used dresses at all. It's almost all new goods.

Is there somewhere else that I could go looking for skating dresses that are ready to ship? Is there anywhere that is doing used costumes? Even over at Etsy there are a few figure skating dressmakers, but they're mostly kid sized, or, will sew to order, and Etsy isn't a site for used items unless it's vintage. Although, their idea of vintage is over 20 years old so I'm waiting for someone to list some puffy sleeved skate dreses from 1988 under "vintage" :P

Last year I was in a panic needing an ethnic costume for a show, like in three days type of panic, and thought that if I could buy something off the internet it would be there in time, but mostly what I'm finding are small or home dressmakers that will sew to order. Although, the foray into adult entertainment costuming brought up by Google, which had shipable items, was, er, ha, entertaining! Must remember to choose the word "adult" carefully in Google searches 8O

Where are skaters shopping these days? Especially if you want sleeves and a longer skirt?

Skate@Delaware
07-05-2009, 12:58 PM
I usually sew my own, although I've bought stuff from this site: http://www.skatingdress.com/index.html and from her auctions (for a good price) because she sells/auctions stuff that fits my long rise.

I have a skating girlfriend that sews (sewing experience 30+ years plus formal costuming in college). So, if there is something fantastic that I need, I just hire her.

Mel On Ice
07-05-2009, 02:33 PM
Leslie Plank, an adult skater, makes affordable custom dresses. Do a search for Flowerdaze Skating Dresses.

flying~camel
07-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Leslie Plank, an adult skater, makes affordable custom dresses. Do a search for Flowerdaze Skating Dresses.

I second Mel's suggestion! I only buy Flowerdaze dresses for myself.

www.flowerdaze.com

dbny
07-05-2009, 03:03 PM
Riversedgedancewear (http://Riversedgedancewear.com) sells plus size skating dresses. I've seen some used extra larges on eBay. I just bought a used dress there myself, guessing on the size based on knowing the brand and what I used to wear. I guessed right and got a great, though simple, dress for only $10 including shipping. I'm sure you know that the various brands are sized differently, with Capezio running small and GK larger.

slusher
07-05-2009, 03:17 PM
These are all great sites but for what I need in the hip, I'm not on their standard sizes, but they'll all make something custom for me, 4-6-7 weeks lead time. I've got a Wendesign dress so would vouch for them. I also have a local dressmaker who knows my body inside and out, which is, me. I procrastinate a lot though.

I can't fit into anything by Capezio (lol! ), Mondor, Danskin, Jerry's. Either the girth is wedge inducing or the panty is for some skinny girl. I'm not alone, my problem is booty, but even my friends who are tiny have long torso issues.

Occasionally as dbny said, I'd find some Riveredge/BalTogs dresses on eBay, used, and get a great deal. I know there are dresses out there for me. But I'm not seeing anything like that at all on eBay anymore, so am wondering where all the used dress sellers went.

hanca
07-05-2009, 03:59 PM
It's the off season so I decide to cruise eBay for some skating dress ideas. I never actually bought from eBay because no one cuts big enough for me, or charges too much to do so, even the China sellers. I mostly sew my own but am bored and would actually buy something that's different.

Where are skaters shopping these days? Especially if you want sleeves and a longer skirt?

I buy dresses in China. I don't understand what you mean that they don't cut it big enough. My experience with dresses from China is that they make it to your measurements (I am not a tiny figure skater. In fact, in figure skating terms I would be something like Xl or XXL and the dresses always fitted perfectly) - you have to send them your measurements at the time of ordering the dress. They can also make skirt 2-3 inches longer if you ask for it (and there is no extra price for the longer skirt). They make the dresses for reasonable price, to your measurements and on one occassions they added even sleeves for me. I wouldn't be able to get the dresses for the same price here in the UK.
I sometimes add some more stones, but that is because I like doing it. I feel creative and it is relaxing.

Skate@Delaware
07-05-2009, 05:05 PM
I second Mel's suggestion! I only buy Flowerdaze dresses for myself.

www.flowerdaze.com (http://www.flowerdaze.com)

Nice stuff, I like the coral one on their front page....(I'm a sucker for coral). I'm wondering why they don't have the girth listed (make-or breaking point for me).

sk8tmum
07-05-2009, 05:08 PM
I'll second, third and fourth Wendesign - the skatingdress.com people - (I'm allowed to, I've got 3 kids clothed by them!) - they do very good work. Everything is lined ... and the material quality is fantastic, as well as the finishing. Plus, the ladies are great to work with.

slusher
07-05-2009, 06:32 PM
I don't understand what you mean that they don't cut it big enough. My experience with dresses from China is that they make it to your measurements

There's many places to have a dress made once I order it and I shop local to support my own economy. I'm being sucky and had credit card in hand and wanted to buy something that I know would be put in the mail to me tomorrow and I'd have it Thursday. Not something that I'd have to wait for. Instant Skate Dress Gratification.

What's interesting is looking at the closed auctions for the Chinese dresses. Not too many sales for the amount of listings they have.

But I'm still wondering where people are selling their used dresses because it's not on eBay.

RachelSk8er
07-05-2009, 06:45 PM
My first dress from China was actually too big, I ordered an XL. Not too big to wear, just fit a little more loosely than I like. I ordered another in a L and it fit perfectly but I'm not a fan of the skirt length. I've worn it for compulsory though. I spent $50 for each including shipping.

I get most of my dresses from Del Arbour, who did dresses for my last 2 synchro teams, my freestyle dress from the past 2 years, and my new freestyle and dance dresses for this season. She has a size that fits me exactly how I want and will make skirts longer, double line nude so I can wear a normal bra under it, etc (and doesn't charge me a whole lot extra for those types of tweaks).

I like Leslie's dresses, too. I tried one on at ANs and may have her do an interp dress for me after this year when I get a new program. She has a weave practice dress that I LOVE, too bad I don't wear dresses to practice (for $50 I might get one anyway once her new baby madness calms a little). The material she uses is really nice, the lycra is THICK! (I HATE thin, cheap, flimsy-feeling lycra.)

Clive
07-05-2009, 06:59 PM
I bought from Wonderland for my daughter. Was a little big, but very easy to take in. She has had many compliments on it. It was her first new dress and she loves it.

jp1andOnly
07-05-2009, 10:19 PM
I bought a dress from WOnderland on ebay. The most gorgeous dress ever. It was made to fit to my measurements and only cost about 140 US. I would highly highly ighly recommend her. You can ask for things like added sleeves and a skirt that dips in the back. She even went out of the way to look for material in a different colour, which she found :)

Her already made dresses tend to list first but if you go through a lot of them they often have the same dress, just at a higher cost and it says made to order.

dbny
07-05-2009, 11:16 PM
But I'm still wondering where people are selling their used dresses because it's not on eBay.

How are you searching? I got over 80 used skating dresses (http://desc.shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=used&_sacat=159127&LH_TitleDesc=1&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&LH_PrefLoc=0&_dmpt=US_Youth_Athletic_Apparel&_dmd=1&_odkw=&_osacat=159127&_rdc=1) listed.

I just bought a Chinese dress on ebay that came to $40 including shipping. It's relatively simple, black velvet, long sleeves, just a few stones and little illusion. I sent my measurements. Hope it turns out right, but I figure for $40, I should be able to sell it if it isn't.

katz in boots
07-06-2009, 03:45 AM
I know that dresses here get sold on to other skaters a lot of the time. Also I donated a few of my daughter's dresses to our Association. They hire them out for competitions @ $10 a time, helps raise money for the Association.

I'm way bigger than they make dresses so I make my own always. As for selling them afterwards, well, they might come in handy again one day. Not likely though, I make a new dress for every program - it's part of the fun of a comp for me.:lol:

RachelSk8er
07-06-2009, 09:07 AM
Do you know any skaters your size whom you could borrow from?

I'm a total packrat when it comes to my skating stuff because it was such a huge part of my life growing up, I've never gotten rid of anything (other than giving away a few old practice dresses that were in good condition, too small for me, and still in style). I try to re-use what I can--my synchro dresses from the last 3 seasons I skated still fit and are perfect dance dresses. That being said though, if a friend came to me needing a dress for a program and I could loan them one, I'd much rather see it get used than let sit in my closet for all eternity. I'd probably have to pay someone to wear some of my old synchro dresses though. A few of them were hideous back when they were in style, let alone now!

Skate@Delaware
07-06-2009, 12:47 PM
I just gave away some that were too big/small for me. It was nice because my girlfriends got most of them. So I know they were really appreciated! The rest were given to a few girls that don't have money to spend. The others I kept for shows (when a girl doesn't have a dress, they can borrow one).

Rentals don't work, as there are a few girls that tend to never return dresses or costumes :x even with a deposit!