View Full Version : Extra steps to do with problems with the skates

londonicechamp
07-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Hi guys

I have been using a pair of ice skates from Singapore, which is always in my bedroom cabinet for over 10 years, since my return to Singapore in the end of May. I only switched back to my London ice skates yesterday.

I found something really strange, with my Singapore skates:

Scratch spin: there is always one extra step before I cross my right leg.

Backward crossovers: always an extra step on the right side.

However, these two problems do not occur with my London skates which is a Harlick boots on MK Gold Star blades.

My coach and I do not know why I got the extra steps with my Singapore skates.

The Singapore skates is about a size bigger. Can the extra moves be to do with that? :roll:

londonicechamp

CoachPA
07-02-2009, 02:26 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "extra steps"; are you saying that you're almost stumbling?

dbny
07-02-2009, 06:03 PM
I am also not sure what you mean exactly, but if the skates are too big, there could be all kinds of problems from that. Stick to the ones that fit properly.

londonicechamp
07-02-2009, 08:55 PM
Hi Coach PA and dbny

What I mean by "extra steps" is that with my Singapore skates, before I cross my right leg, there is an extra step, as my right leg seems to be pointing inwards before my spin, with that pair of skates. Hence the extra step to compensate for the crossing of the leg.

Coach PA, no, I do not stumble with my pair of skates from Singapore, just that I feel weird doing scratch spins in them, and also backspin with that pair of skates is almost non existent.

Yes, my coach also found out that I am more suited to the London pair of skates, and asked me to stick to that pair from now on.

londonicechamp

Isk8NYC
07-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Yep, skates sound like they're too big. Don't use them.

The extra steps are probably from your not being used to them and from the size difference - you're not as secure so you take an extra step.

Just sell/give them away to someone who can use them.

londonicechamp
07-04-2009, 12:18 PM
Hi Isk8NYC

Thanks for your advice. :lol:

I will stick to my normal pair of London skates from now on. :)

With regards to the too big pair of skates that I have in Singapore, where do I sell them (if I want to), and what price should I sell them at, roughly?

londonicechamp

Skate@Delaware
07-04-2009, 12:26 PM
You can tell your coach you are selling your old skates; he/she can let his/her other students know and it will spread by word of mouth. If you skated in a regular rink you could post a notice.

You could look up your make/model in Ebay or a newspaper and get a general idea what they are going for.

londonicechamp
07-04-2009, 12:32 PM
Hi Skate@Delaware

Thanks. I will think about it.

My coach find that with my current pair of skates, which I use regularly in London, my edges are definitely better too. :)

londonicechamp