View Full Version : Hackensack reports?

Skittl1321
06-30-2009, 07:52 PM
Well, I wrote a book about motown tango over at my blog- I'd love to hear how the Ice House adult camp went. Does anyone have a report?

RoaringSkates
06-30-2009, 09:03 PM
I had a blast. I did the dance track, though, not freestyle. What would you like to know? I'm happy to give some highlights.

Skittl1321
06-30-2009, 09:07 PM
I had a blast. I did the dance track, though, not freestyle. What would you like to know? I'm happy to give some highlights.

I wanna know everything! I live vicariously through people who go to these things. Who coached? What tips did you pick up? How many people were there? Give us the highlights!

dbny
06-30-2009, 09:50 PM
Skate@Delaware wrote a detailed report in last week's practice thread (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=28812&page=2).

Skittl1321
07-01-2009, 07:25 AM
Skate@Delaware wrote a detailed report in last week's practice thread (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=28812&page=2).

Thanks! WOW- great write up.

Skate@Delaware
07-01-2009, 07:41 AM
Thanks! WOW- great write up.

Thanks! I'm sure there is TONS of stuff that I didn't put in. I tried to be concise & complete, but wow, there was a lot!

I also had a voice recorder going, but a lot of background noise & speaker's with soft voices inhibits a lot of vocal from getting through. I'm waiting until I have time so I can scrub it.

We loved it and thoroughly enjoyed it, and are really looking forward to going next year. I had no expectations at all, but have a background in a little bit of everything.

Ok, we need a dance-track report!!!!

PS-For those on the board that go next year, we need to post a sign-up sheet at the rink (I know the manager would let us) and a place where we can meet up afterwards....maybe wear a special nametag???? I know something like that was suggested in times past. I saw some people that were my Facebook friends as well...and I feel dumb for not realizing it until I got home (they were in a higher-level group).

LexiSk8
07-03-2009, 09:16 AM
Would anyone like to write a brief review for the adult skating enewsletter?

CanadianAdult
07-03-2009, 01:20 PM
How big were the groups? Excellent report by Skate@Delaware!

Skate@Delaware
07-03-2009, 01:37 PM
Would anyone like to write a brief review for the adult skating enewsletter?
I can ask one of the other ladies, she is a journalist and writes SO MUCH BETTER than I do.
How big were the groups? Excellent report by Skate@Delaware!
Group 1-6
Group 2-12
Group 3-10
Group 4-11
Group 5-11
Group 6-12
Dance-6
They were broken down by the way you filled out the application: hardest jump landed consistently and highest test taken. HOWEVER, there were some people that thought this was sort of misleading (coaches as well) since some of us don't have certain jumps consistently but they are lurking, and maybe we just don't WANT to test but the ability is there.
I felt challenged the whole time, so I know I was in the right group. There were people who switched back and forth, they don't take attendance so no one really paid any attention to that. And during the break, some people hopped into another class.

I'll list the lowest/highest jumps & moves tested for each group:
Group 1---No jumps---No moves tested
Group 2---Waltz/Half loop------None/Preliminary Moves
Group 3---Waltz/Lutz--None/Adult Silver
Group 4---Loops/Lutz--None/Preliminary MIF
Group 5---Flip/Lutz----None/Gold/Juvenile
Group 6---Axel/2lutz---Intermediate/Novice
Dance----None/2loop--Silver
No means a scientific cross-section but should give everyone a general basis of skills seen.

Although the ice surface was shared, in most cases the groups were on opposite ends. There were a few times when the whole ice was shared and it got a bit dicey...but I don't recall any major catastrophes (at least where I was). There were a few falls but nothing more than normally happens when people skate.

Query
07-04-2009, 03:51 PM
I also had a voice recorder going

Interesting. I recently attended a group kayak lesson with a voice recorder. Teacher (name of Ben Lawry) made me turn it off; said to buy his DVD instead.

So to make voice and/or video recordings of group lessons, it may help to keep them hidden... (e.g., small wireless video camera.)

I have thought of bringing a recorder to group dance lessons, because I don't memorize elaborate motion sequences as well as some.

But are hidden recorders unethical, or could other participants unhappy?

Skittl1321
07-04-2009, 03:59 PM
I would say hidden recorders are unethical, and in some states may be illegal.
Extremely unethical if you've been asked to turn it off.

I'd say it's not Unethical to not ask at all, if you aren't hiding it, but maybe a bit rude. I think it is best to ask the presenter before recording, I noticed at the workshop I went to, most participants even asked if it would be alright to take a still picture of them teaching and reassured that pictures were for personnel use. We were offered the chance to take pictures of all the drawings on the boards and the ice, but if we hadn't been, I suppose good form would be to ask before doing that as well.

Skate@Delaware
07-05-2009, 09:11 AM
I would say hidden recorders are unethical, and in some states may be illegal.
Extremely unethical if you've been asked to turn it off.

I'd say it's not Unethical to not ask at all, if you aren't hiding it, but maybe a bit rude. I think it is best to ask the presenter before recording, I noticed at the workshop I went to, most participants even asked if it would be alright to take a still picture of them teaching and reassured that pictures were for personnel use. We were offered the chance to take pictures of all the drawings on the boards and the ice, but if we hadn't been, I suppose good form would be to ask before doing that as well.

I asked the rink director, he said no big deal, especially when I said it would be for my own notes when I got back home. And that is really as far as it goes. Since I don't trust them 100% I was able to repeat my own notes into the recorder. Much easier than jotting them down. The other presenters noticed me repeating notes into my recorder and most did not say anything (at least not to me). One did ask me about it and I stated my reason and she agreed that the information was a lot and she does the same for skating seminars. She did not ask me to turn it off.

Actually, the only notes I really needed were on: twizzles, figures, and maybe two other things. Everything else was just a confirmation of things I had been taught by my coach or read elsewhere.

These have already been written down into my notebook and the "tape" erased. So that's the end of that.

Query
07-06-2009, 03:59 PM
Sorry if this is way off topic!

Oh my. I would only want to record stuff because my memory is so poor. Apparently there are all sorts of limits on this.

But according to a quick non-authritative internet search, in my state (Maryland), it is illegal to record a private conversation without the other person's permission (mentioned in relation to the Linda Tripp, Monica Lewinski case, because the former was accused of making such an illegal recording without Monica's permission). Hidden transmitters may be illegal everywhere in the U.S.

On the other hand, http://www.gazette.net/stories/020106/gaitnew205242_31922.shtml suggests that recording a public meeting may be legal here, provided that one does not record private conversations, and there is no expectation of privacy - though I didn't find a more authoritative source.

Sounds like the rules are complicated. I guess parents and who record their student's lessons really ought to ask permission. And maybe recording a college class without explicit permission from everyone present is verboten too.

Skittl1321
07-06-2009, 04:14 PM
I think if your intentions are good (you aren't trying to trap them) and your recorder is not hidden, then you are probably okay recording a group class, still like Skate@Delaware did, I think it's best to ask (and in this case she didn't ask the presenters, but the rink director- but same thing. She made someone aware she'd be recording, and that she was doing it was clearly visible during lessons, since she was talking into it- furtively talking into a coat pocket would be strange...)

I think it's the HIDING of it, that you suggested in your other post that made me quite wary.

So to make voice and/or video recordings of group lessons, it may help to keep them hidden... (e.g., small wireless video camera.)

In a college class, I don't think you need other student's permission, merely the professors. (And I HAVE had guest speakers ask us not to record. They make their living giving these speeches, and having a recording of that could decrease the number of invites- since people could listen elsewhere. This is likely the case of the kayak instructor who offers a video. I've had knitting instructors make the same no-record request when they offer a dvd.)