View Full Version : Anyone change the color of their skates with Sk8 Tape?

Kat12
06-28-2009, 08:38 AM
For some reason, I'm kinda intrigued by Katarina Witt's beige skates, and have been thinking of taping my new skates beige, just for fun. IF I ever get my new skates!!!! (I admit to thinking the other colors of tape are nifty too, though it seems most places don't sell the colors)

SkatEn
06-28-2009, 08:49 AM
Not yet. I got white sk8tape, but got too lazy to apply them. :frus:

I wonder if certain types of ordinary tape will work though. Sk8tape is so darn expensive!

icechica88
06-28-2009, 09:20 AM
I have used sk8 tape in the past to tape my boots for synchro. In my experience, the tape stays pretty secure for about 3ish months then it needs to be retaped around the lace holes. When you remove the tape there is sometimes a sticky residue left that is easily removed with goo gone.

You could always paint your skates beige if you wanted a more permanent option. My synchro team did this and I thought this was easier than taping skates and took less time.

dbny
06-28-2009, 06:08 PM
You can also use electrical tape. Be sure to use a cream polish on your boots first, but don't buff, just let it dry. You should change the tape or remove it every month (although icechica88 says every 3 months - maybe that's fine). If you let it go too long, it will discolor your boots.

katz in boots
06-29-2009, 03:32 AM
... If you let it go too long, it will discolor your boots.

Is that just for the electrical tape, or Sk8 tape?
I have never had a problem with sk8 tape discolouring boots - in fact, the opposite. I used to put a 'bumper' around my DD's & my daughter's boots where they were most likely to get bumped. When I took the tape off, the boots were white where the tape had been, whereas the rest of the boot were slightly yellower.

RachelSk8er
06-29-2009, 08:29 AM
I've had to tape them for synchro. Even though my skates were tan, they had to all have the exact same shade and texture (tape is shiny), so they all got taped. Then when we eventually switched back to white skates, we all had to tape them white. (For some of us that meant color change--white tape on tan boots, for others, it was just to give them the same texture and shade of white as the rest of the team).

As long as you re-tape your skates every so often and avoid leaving them in the hot car while taped (the tape gets nasty and gooey), it wont' harm your boots.

Mrs Redboots
06-29-2009, 11:47 AM
I found the tape itself got dirty around the edges - I got some to cover a hole that someone (read: dear nice kind husband) had kicked in my boots.....

saras
06-29-2009, 03:39 PM
I've never bought tape in fun colors b/c it's more of a cost issue (skate tape isn't all that cheap...).

though rather than polish my boots, I apply tape on the scuffed/nicked parts right before a competition or test ;) Way easier than polishing.

dbny
06-29-2009, 05:08 PM
Is that just for the electrical tape, or Sk8 tape?

Sorry, don't remember. DD did it and left it on for months.

katz in boots
06-30-2009, 03:29 AM
I get rid of the stickiness and dirty, sticky stuff on tape sides with eucalyptus oil, which does the same job as the expensive goo removers but is way cheaper. If you like the smell (I don't), that's a bonus.