View Full Version : Do you have a personal Trainer?

FSWer
06-23-2009, 09:14 PM
Ok. I am not sure if this is concidered too personal a question to be asking at all. Or even on a Board. So somebody kindly correct me if so. But out of all our On-Ice Skaters here. Who here has a Personal Trainner?

SkatEn
06-24-2009, 01:05 AM
Ok. I am not sure if this is concidered too personal a question to be asking at all. Or even on a Board. So somebody kindly correct me if so. But out of all our On-Ice Skaters here. Who here has a Personal Trainner?

I don't have a personal trainer. Why will it be too personal a question? As skaters, some engage in trainers to help improve their skating. Also, off-ice trainers...?

londonicechamp
06-24-2009, 01:14 AM
Hi

I do not have personal trainer either. I do not think that the question of asking anyone if they have a personal trainer is too personal either. :P

londonicechamp

Mrs Redboots
06-24-2009, 09:24 AM
There is a personal trainer at the rink, and I occasionally buy half an hour of her time. Not often, though.

Amandaskategirl
06-24-2009, 10:33 AM
I have one who I see once a week for 45-60 mins. I am seeing her more to help me lose weight rather than to help with skating, but of course whatever my motivation she helps me with all round fitness. We do some skating specific exercises too using balance discs, squats etc.. and some flexibility work.

I don't find this to be a personal question.

rlichtefeld
06-24-2009, 10:52 AM
I have a personal trainer that has been working with me for the last year to strengthen my left knee that has been giving me problems for 5 years. My orthopedist recommended the training, and one of the coaches at the rink recommended this guy. He has worked with figure skaters before.

While he works on the knee, he also works my core muscles, and has tried (in vain) to work off some of the weight. I do 1 half-hour session with him each week.

The knee is much, much better. It could be all the elliptical machine time he has me doing, the workouts or the 45 minute yoga class that I also do with him on another night.

Whatever it it, the knee is 1000% better.

And, my skating coach has noticed a great increase in my jumping. (It's easier to jump when it doesn't hurt.) But, I think the conditioning is actually making things better than before I got hurt.

Rob

Skate@Delaware
06-24-2009, 11:44 AM
I don't have a personal trainer HOWEVER my yoga instructor is also a skating coach AND a physical therapist (her day job) and she gives me good exercises to do when asked.

Kat12
06-24-2009, 05:00 PM
I don't have one, however, i wish I could take someone (not necessarily a trainer, just someone who knows about lifting) to the gym with me to watch me once and make sure my form is correct.

I don't know that I would hire any of the trainers at my gym. Some seem okay, but most don't seem to focus on lifting much, and there's one guy I'm definitely wary of ever since the time I saw him making a girl do squats while hugging a weight plate (you know, like you put on a machine or barbell)...she was practically dropping the thing trying to hold on to it, and I almost went over there to them and said, "of all the ways of adding weight to squats, this is the method you picked???"

jazzpants
06-24-2009, 05:53 PM
Before I lost my job earlier this year, I did have a regular personal trainer as well as my skating coaches. The personal trainer is also a fellow competitive adult skater at my rink. A LOT of the skaters at my rink go to her too! The best part of the deal is that the personal trainer and the skating coach that nagged me to get a personal trainer are often at the same FS sessions, so if I get into a problem with my skating b/c of either strength or (most often) flexibility, my coach would often call the personal trainer over to show her my problems and tells her "FIX IT!!!" It often makes it to the next torture session with the trainer. If I gripe to her about it, she says "Not my fault! Your coach made me do it!" If I gripe to my coach about it, the answer is often "GOOD!!! :twisted: "

And yes, when I'm gainfully employed again, I am coming back for MORE abuse!!! Isn't that amazing? :P :lol: :giveup: :bow:

And yes, BE CAREFUL of WHO you pick as a personal trainer!!! You do NOT want a bodybuilder type of personal trainer!!! That is the last thing you want to do to train for skating. Yes, you want to build strength but not bulk up. You also want endurance, cardio, flexibility and agility! Would be major plus if the person also does pylometrics too for the jumps. Also, if you get a trainer that pushes stuff like protein shakes or tells you how to eat... RUN!!! Unless they also nutritionist with specialty in sports performance, they are overstepping their bounds and knowledge! The legit trainers ALWAYS would refer you to a registered dietition -- NOT a nutritionist!

herniated
06-25-2009, 01:05 PM
I am a trainer...:) but I do learn a LOT from Physical therapists when I'm injured.

And I fully agree with Jazzpants. Make sure the trainer you use is certified with a reputable organization. AND..you observe them work with other clients to see if you like them and thier style.

rsk8d
06-25-2009, 01:38 PM
And yes, BE CAREFUL of WHO you pick as a personal trainer!!! You do NOT want a bodybuilder type of personal trainer!!! That is the last thing you want to do to train for skating. Yes, you want to build strength but not bulk up. You also want endurance, cardio, flexibility and agility! Would be major plus if the person also does pylometrics too for the jumps. Also, if you get a trainer that pushes stuff like protein shakes or tells you how to eat... RUN!!! Unless they also nutritionist with specialty in sports performance, they are overstepping their bounds and knowledge! The legit trainers ALWAYS would refer you to a registered dietition -- NOT a nutritionist!

It is VERY important to go to someone with a reputable reputation. There are several personal training certifications out there that you can study for for a few hours and get a certification online. Look for someone with a college degree, first and foremost. To be working with a client and understand everything about the body, you need a complete education. Sk8Strong actually just published an article on the subject 'How to Choose and Off-Ice Trainer" with details about all of the different degrees and certifications you should look for. Go to our newsletter link:
http://www.sk8strong.citymax.com/newsletters/newsletter/6352437/64326.htm

PinkLaces
06-25-2009, 03:01 PM
I had been going to my personal trainer for over 2 years already before I started skating again. My trainer has a college degree and is now the head of Personal Training at the YMCA where we are members (she wasn't when I first started going to her, but she still keeps me as a client).

When I started skating again, I told her. She incorporates either balance or core into all my exercises. In the past 3 years, I think I have done every kind of lunge imaginable.

happysk8tes
06-25-2009, 10:07 PM
I just started with a Personal Trainer about a month ago. I felt as long as I had just joined a gym, I should hire someone to make sure I was getting the most in my workouts. I waited to watch the PTs in action, just as I would look for a new skating coach. He tested me to find my weaker areas (hamstrings, nonstraight knees, and upper back) and has designed the program for these needs. On the plus, my quads and balance were good.

I'm almost up to 3 reps of 15 on all the workouts, so I should schedule another appointment next week to check my progress and form. He has me start out on the Elliptacle for 3 - 5 minutes, then 3 weight machines, 2 ball exercises, 2 free weights, 2 pilates exercies, and then I stretch as long as I can. It makes me feel so good!

I try to go to the gym on non skating days. I'm also supposed to add more aerobic exercise to my life. So I'm trying to walk the dog at a faster pace.