View Full Version : Shiny blades or rusty edges -- Practice thread 6/22 - 6/28

Kat12
06-23-2009, 05:05 PM
Oops! Almost posted in the old practice thread!

Went to my first skating class yesterday...

Rusty: not really much of this. Did find my feet cramp when I try to skate backward...I and the instructor are pretty sure I'm clenching my toes. We'll see if my new skates that actually fit me fix that, or if it's really something I'm doing to try to go backward.

Shiny: It was a nice class. The LTS coordinator had told me it's held at the same time as a freestyle session, so I was apprehensive, but there were maybe four or five other people on the ice total, a couple of whom looked like they were working with their private coaches, so there were actually only a couple of us working with the instructor. The rink was WARM! Like, to the point that the edges of the rink never dried. I loved it, though I was too lazy to take off my jacket so I did get a bit warm (and of course the fear of falling in a puddle! And my possibly-irrational fear that wet ice is more slippery).

The instructor was very nice--came up to me at the beginning and asked was I Kat (which was good because I was skating around trying to figure out which the instructor was!). She said she wasn't sure it was me at first because apparently my crossovers are "pretty good" (and that I'll be jumping in no time...erm...not so sure about that!) and I think she'd been under the impression that my blades have barely crossed the ice since I was a kid. I think I'd told the LTS coordinator that I was a n00b and she must've assumed absolute n00b if I wasn't clear I'd been skating on my own a bit.

She started out by saying "we can work on your crossovers and back crossovers if you want," and I said something like, "what back crossovers?" and explained that I can't skate backwards for crap. She said "oh, with crossovers like that I would've thought you'd be doing back crossovers as well." Nooooo.... So we started working on skating backward; I can do swizzles but backward stroking and gliding on one foot were killing me. So she had me working on that stuff for a while and I "got it"--I'm still awful at it but at least now I can sort move myself backward, which is a big step, lol. We also worked on two-foot turns and at the end I did a couple two-foot spins and got some pointers.

I think I'm going to like this class, and I think I will learn a lot more than if I'd gone with the class at the closer rink that would have me in with a bunch of six-year-olds.

And no...I didn't fall in any puddles. :)

dbny
06-23-2009, 06:22 PM
Rusty Edges:
My coach is away for two weeks and when she gets back we will have to figure out where and when to meet as her rink cancels their Friday public sessions (on which I have my lessons) for the summer. Drove an hour to that rink Monday for the usual empty public session and found that one was canceled for the summer effective that day.

Shiny Blades:
Made the best of it and shopped at the nearby TJ Maxx and the fabulous Korean supermarket. Then drove to my rink, where I found

Rusty Edges again. The public session had throngs of crazy kids, and I found I was lacking the degree of core body strength I needed to push myself. I did manage some decent FI threes, but I really wanted to work on BO threes but didn't dare. I'm having a lazy day today, and hope to skate tomorrow and make some progress then.

techskater
06-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Kat - can you change your month to 6? I don't want to relive the last month, thanks!!! :lol:

Kat12
06-23-2009, 07:30 PM
^ Grr! Brain failed me! Accordingly changed.

dbny
06-23-2009, 09:08 PM
It takes a moderator to change the thread title. Mods?

phoenix
06-23-2009, 09:22 PM
Shiny Blades: Coach taught me partnering for Tango Romantica last lesson, which pretty much means I can die happy now. ALSO, he has a brand new pair of boots to sell, which fit me! They're Risport Royal Dance, and they're *feather* light. And, they're cut down so I'll actually be able to point my toes.

Also, Starlight Waltz is slowly improving.

Rusty Blades: The new skates are soooo much softer than what I'm currently in, I fear there will be a large adjustment before I'm comfortable in them. A little nervous about that.

And, I couldn't do Paso run-throughs because the music system at the rink wasn't turned on, so I don't know if that's improved or not.

And a little mixed....I've been on a very very healthy diet for 2 weeks now, eating much lower calories than before & drastically changed some habits (no soda or fruit juice, very few snacks or sweets). Also have been getting more exercise. The result is I feel better and more energetic. The bad part is I've only lost 3 stinkin' pounds, and that was in the first 5 days. Since then, no change, which makes absolutely no sense.

So I've decided I'm not speaking to my scale, and will just continue on without it. I *do* hope my summer clothes will fit again at some point--right now they don't. :frus:

Kat12
06-23-2009, 09:27 PM
It takes a moderator to change the thread title.

Actually, it let me change it when I hit edit...

Kim to the Max
06-23-2009, 09:31 PM
[Shiny Blades]
Axels are soooooo much closer....I need to work on driving my knee through more to make that transfer of weight better...

I landed a bunch of 2 sals on one foot :) I am way excited.....I am not crossing my legs in the air and they were about 1/3 of a rotation short, but hey, I am happy with 1 foot!

[Rusty Edges]
I need new skates :(

While it's good for me, I don't like it....coach had me do a double run through of my program :(

My rockers leave something to be desired, mainly, being perpendicular to the axis :roll:

And oh, the power pulls....my rocker/rocker drill has now been added to my warmup drills :(

dbny
06-23-2009, 09:57 PM
Actually, it let me change it when I hit edit...

It let you change the title within your post, but not the title as it appears in the list of threads in the forum.

dbny
06-23-2009, 10:04 PM
I've been on a very very healthy diet for 2 weeks now, eating much lower calories than before & drastically changed some habits (no soda or fruit juice, very few snacks or sweets). Also have been getting more exercise. The result is I feel better and more energetic. The bad part is I've only lost 3 stinkin' pounds, and that was in the first 5 days. Since then, no change, which makes absolutely no sense.

Hang in there. I did much the same thing sometime in January. If you can reduce the unhealthy fats (as in meat) and increase the green veggies, that will help. It's possible that you've gained some muscle mass that is making up for body fat loss. Don't weigh yourself; instead, take note of how your clothes fit.

SkatEn
06-24-2009, 01:02 AM
Alright I have to stop being afraid to start a week-long thread because this practice is from Monday.:frus:

{Shiny}
My skating wasn't bad. Loop is freaking flying.8-) And flip is getting there, to be like loop (minus that I have to remember to point my toe, if not it goes is sideways and there's the painful crunch of my foot).

{Rusty}
Waltz is tiny.:x

I have like 15 or more rev in sit spins, but they travel all over the place. Sit spins have been travelling since I changed my skates. Good side is that they don't scrape ice anymore. Travelling is very annoying, especially when you travel 3/4 of the hockey circle.:roll:

{Rusty Shine or Shiny Rust}
For the first time, I taped my axel attempts. I thought I was close, but nope, the videos show that I'm not rotating fast enough. I'm going into it, but not rotating. I either have 3/4 or 1 rev. Air position is as open as can be. I haven't had lessons on axels for a longest time, but come on! I want my axel. Help on snapping? I've never been a jumper, and axel is quite the obstacle.

{Shine, shine, SHINE!!!}:P:P:P
I was going to leave at 9 plus at night when a friend who just came didn't let me go. She's clung onto me, saying, help check her Axel, there are only public skaters so please don't go! So I just stayed on the ice. I stared in total amazement and disbelief as she rotated her axel and then fell. I told her and she didn't believe. Told her to do an axel-loop and she landed her axel. Without glide, but she didn't fall, and it's rotated.

I SAW HER VERY FIRST AXEL!:bow::P
She made me taped it and then we started jumping up and down on the ice. I was screaming like OMG YOU LANDED YOUR FREAKING AXEL!

Great day for a friend, so it had been a great day for me even though I didn't achieve much. :)

londonicechamp
06-24-2009, 01:26 AM
Shiny

My skating was not too bad either yesterday. Had my lesson after the ice was being resurfaced. Coach asked me to show her my scratch spin, as were not many people around. Held my leg not wide enough (coach said), after some advice from her, got better, can do 5 to 6 revolutions. Keep working on that. When I think too much, the spin would not happen; when I am not consciously thinking too much, the spin happened.

Nearly killed a young boy who went straight into where I was spinning, during my lesson. Coach immediately told me that kids can be cruel, as they do not care where they are going. These kids will not learn until one day that they get an accident lol. :twisted:

Sit spin was there, just could not go lower than half sit. Tried coming up on upright spin.

Upright spin and 2 foot spin not too bad either.

Made a new teenager friend. She said that she taught herself. 8-)

My friend was there towards the end of my practice. She was there for practice too. Her scratch spin also getting better. :D

Rusty

The waltz jump is tiny too. Tried to remember the hand position. Everything else is fine, minus my hands, the coach said, arggghhhhhhh!!!!! :roll:

Re-learnt a half flip, it was fun to do. Coach wanted me to land on one foot (toe pick) instead of 2 foot. A bit tricky to land on one foot. Coach taught me how to practise on the one foot landing, said that will go over it with me again in Thursday's lesson. :halo:

londonicechamp

Petlover
06-24-2009, 03:13 PM
Shiny: The ISI competition this past weekend was awesome! I skated the best yet in competition, and had very good placing. In compulsories I won against a good friend who is 20 years younger, 20 pounds lighter, faster, stronger, and jumps higher.

Rusty: Pulled out my USFSA pre-bronze program yesterday, and coach said it's time to rechoreograph it. We worked on it yesterday, and the new choreography is very challenging. I skated the whole thing this morning, and it was the worst I have skated a program in a long time :(.

Shiny: Even though the program was bad, half of the elements were really good including my loop and flip.

Rusty: My coach was there teaching another student and saw the bad program. Oh boy, tomorrow's lesson is going to be rough :).

phoenix
06-24-2009, 09:59 PM
Shiny: Ha ha ha, if the official dance music is too fast, pick something slower!! I had so much fun today, I tried the Tango Romantica with "Casi Un Bolero" by Enrique Iglesias, and I can do it! Of course, it's about 1/3 the speed of the real music, but I don't care!

AND--even better--I put on Paso music (which is the dance I'm actually supposed to be working on :roll:), and I can get through one pattern very comfortably--I'm to that point where the music really doesn't feel all that fast anymore. That's such a wonderful thing, and it takes me soooo long to get to that point. I'm so happy. Of course, it then falls apart once I get a little ways into the 2nd pattern, but again, for today I don't care!

Rusty: Nothing! I'm happy! :):)

katz in boots
06-25-2009, 04:20 AM
Shiny
Love having an hour of private ice with new coach on Thursday mornings! Great way to start the day! Couldn't stop smiling all day, and even now I'm feeling really good.

Coach pleased with improvements to her corrections on my basic edges, FO3 turns & mohawks. Still work to do on turned out knee & toe, and getting open hips (which I used to have automatically but were coached out of me). But overall, much better.

Backspin. Required to do from a back pivot now and, with some further clarification today, is yielding results. Lots of practise needed now.

Rusty
Coach had her first check of my jumps today. With the Waltz she wants me to step fwd onto the circle (not step out of circle as I was doing) and jump out of the circle -which I was doing- but I have to bend my free leg behind me, then jump bent knee pointing to boards. Not allowed straight free leg with nice pointy toe. We're working towards an axel (one day - I dare to dream :roll:)

She also looked at my toe-loop. Instead of my curvy entry edges, I have to flatten the 3 turn entry & exit into a straight line. Also what the non-picking leg is meant to do after picking is new to me.

Shiny
It's all good. After 3 lessons with new coach, I can really tell the difference in my balance and control. Now, if only I could find those darned core abdominal muscles and teach them how to do their job again without having to be reminded all the time.. :roll:

SkatEn
06-25-2009, 01:47 PM
(((RUSSSTTTTYYYY)))The rink was wet, and I arrived 15 min before lesson, unchanged, and un-warmed up.Coach pushed lesson back by 15 min. Gosh it was so embarrassing to run around in my skates rushing!

After lesson, I went to get a drink. And proceeded to not skate until 7. (lesson ends at 5.15pm)

Alright let me say what I'm bursting to say.
{[Shimmering Shine Shiny SHINE]}:lol::)
I GOT FULL REVOLUTION IN AXEL(and I know because I fell facing the correct way)! Granted I did that only once and I fell and don't recall my blades meeting the ice after takeoff, I felt so happy. I just gotta stay on my feet. But not much consistent improvements though. I wanted to video, only to realise I didn't bring my camera.:giveup:

Getting quite impatient with axel.:giveup:

PinkLaces
06-25-2009, 02:18 PM
{[Shimmering Shine Shiny SHINE]}
I GOT FULL REVOLUTION IN AXEL(and I know because I fell facing the correct way)! Granted I did that only once and I fell and don't recall my blades meeting the ice after takeoff, I felt so happy. I just gotta stay on my feet. But not much consistent improvements though. I wanted to video, only to realise I didn't bring my camera

Congrats! That's awesome:D:D:D

PinkLaces
06-25-2009, 02:23 PM
Monday

Shiny: Lesson day. I skate sooo much better on lesson day. Worked with coach on 5 step mohawk and alternating back cross-overs/edges patterns. After a few corrections, I was getting the pattern big enough.

Also, landed a couple waltz-toes that coach was happy with. Loop is small, but is much improved from the teeny tiny one it was. Backspin has 2-3 revs that are centered consistently now.

Rusty: There is one itty bitty girl that skates the evening sessions that everyone has to avoid. Her coach had to physically stop me from running into her (she never looks where she is going). I seriously don't want to be the one to run this kid over.

PinkLaces
06-25-2009, 02:43 PM
Tuesday

A Rusty Disaster: I am taking a group ISI FS class, because there is so little evening ice. For the most part, it's not bad. I am with 2 kids (approx age 10-12). There is a 5 minute warm-up where they drill everyone to go round the rink forward and backward each way. Then instructor of my group wants to start with salchows. So, I did one that was okay.

Our space was mid-rink between the blue lines. The circle was grooved out from the LTS skating cross-overs. Also we are experiencing 90 degree weather which made the ice somewhat soft. I tripped skating around the circle. Was totally not expecting it. Fell on knees and went flying. Sat there for a minute stunned.

Got up. Felt a little shaken but okay. Skated to the boards felt okay. Started the set up for another salchow. Ouch. Free leg not wanting to go there. Talked to instructor. Say I won't be jumping. She is cool with that and has me work on spins. Try scratch spin. Nope. Free leg does not want to cross over spinning foot. Try backspin. That I can do. So work on that the rest of the session and get off 5 minutes early.

Go to take my skates off. I can get one off, but can't bend knee to get the left one off. I had to have a skate mom/fellow board member take it off for me. When I tried to get into my car to go home, that's when the pain started. I started crying partially from the pain and partially because I knew I wasn't going to get to skate the next day.

DH insisted on taking me to the urgent care. Had an x-ray done on left knee. Nothing broken or fractured. Doctor said it would be bruised and swollen for a few days. Yesterday, DH had to drive me to work. Spent all last night with it iced and elevated. Today, I have more range of motion, but stairs are brutal. I can't lift and bend the knee at the same time.

Kat12
06-25-2009, 04:54 PM
^OMG! Owowow! I hope it feels better soon. Banging joints is the worst, I think.

aussieskater
06-25-2009, 05:06 PM
Go to take my skates off. I can get one off, but can't bend knee to get the left one off. I had to have a skate mom/fellow board member take it off for me. When I tried to get into my car to go home, that's when the pain started. I started crying partially from the pain and partially because I knew I wasn't going to get to skate the next day.

DH insisted on taking me to the urgent care. Had an x-ray done on left knee. Nothing broken or fractured. Doctor said it would be bruised and swollen for a few days. Yesterday, DH had to drive me to work. Spent all last night with it iced and elevated. Today, I have more range of motion, but stairs are brutal. I can't lift and bend the knee at the same time.

Poor you! ((((PinkLaces))))

From your description of your knee, you might want to consider getting to a sports medico and possibly getting an MRI - your knee symptoms sound *exactly* like mine did when I fell and partially tore the ACL and the meniscus. (The whole episode took me off the ice for 4 months. The ACL eventually reattached; meniscus is still floating around in there and occasionally giving me curry 8O.) It's the inability to bend the knee that is alerting me to the fact that you might have more than a fierce bruise.

PinkLaces
06-25-2009, 05:33 PM
Thanks, guys!

DH wanted them to do an MRI, but they don't have one at the Urgent Care office. I definately will get it checked out by a sports medicine person. I don't want to be off ice any longer than necessary.:cry:

londonicechamp
06-26-2009, 12:43 AM
This was of my lesson and practice yesterday.

Arrived more than 15 mins later than usual, as when I was leaving the house, found that most of my tracksuit pants do not have a pocket/pocket with zipper. Picked out one tracksuit pants, realised that the pocket is too shallow, no way to fit in a locker key, thus had to change to another pants. Why do makers of tracksuit pants these days never put pockets in them anymore? Arrrggghhhh!!!!!!!!!! :o

Shiny[B]

My coach asked me to do the forward crossovers. I have been practising on them loads, especially on Monday mornings. Coach said that they are very good now. :lol:

Backward crossovers: very good on the left cross to right side.

Mohawk sequence (5 step): very good on the right side.

Half flip: almost there with the landing on one foot. A bit weird to start with, but seemed to get out of the fear, with more practice.

Scratch spin: better. Coach needs me to hold my right leg higher. During my own practice, when not subconsciously thinking about it, can do between 6 to 8 revolutions. :D

Coach agreed that I can add one more Tuesday evening lesson with her next week, as school reopens, and not that many people will be in the rink.

[B]Rusty

Backward crossovers: need to work on right crossed over to left, to get rid of the one extra step. Coach said that if want to break that habit, must be subconsciously aware that I am doing that side with the extra step. :roll:

Mohawk sequence (5 steps)- always started on the wrong foot, thus a bit weird to count the steps. Eventually got it after doing it together with coach.

A young boy (about 7 or 8) with skating frame came into my lesson area, does not know how to stop, and fell right in front of me. On this Tuesday's lesson, when I was doing the scratch spin, another 5 or 6 year old boy with skating frame not looking at where he was going, and fell right in front of me, when I was going to do the scratch spin. (I nearly killed that boy!!!! :roll:) Coach made jokes to me yesterday, that "boys really like you"! :halo:

Scratch spin: not as many revolutions as during my practice.

londonicechamp

ibreakhearts66
06-26-2009, 02:00 AM
(((pinklaces))) I did something very similar today, but not as bad.

Rusty Blades
Got to the rink and realized public session was on the small ice because of hockey camp. It's hard for me to jump on undersized ice normally, but the fact the it was really crowded didn't help. Session started terribly--I was falling all over the place.

When we moved over to the big ice, I decided to work on moves. In case you guys somehow forgot, I'm just going to mention again how much I hate power circles. I got to the fast part of CW forward crossover, caught a toepick and went right down on my right hip/pelvic bone, right elbow and left kneecap. I promptly got off and iced. I am very bruised, very stiff, and my knee is VERY swollen, bit I'm really glad I didn't hurt myself worse. I'm a little afraid I might have messed with the articulat cartilage since I went down right on my kneecap and my knee is now extra crunchy sounding, but again, it could have been MUCH worse.

Shiny Blades
-Once I found my grove, jumps were great. They all felt like they were re biggest they've ever been. 2lutzes were big for me. 2loops were nice and secure, but I could tell they were wrappy.

Flying sits were GREAT. The take off had awesome snap and height, and the spin was fast and centered.

Talked to my moves coach and came up with a plan for moves. I'm going for Int again on July 22. I'm then either going to throw my Novice moves out July 28 as a pretest, or try to find a judge to evaluate them. I'll attempt to actually pass them late August.

Petlover
06-26-2009, 01:36 PM
((((pinklaces)))) I hope your knee gets better quickly!

Rusty: Horrible lightning, thunder and rainstorm on the way to work this morning, which turned the bridge I drive across into a nightmare of stop and go traffic. The bridge is named the Howard Frankland, but this morning it's other name, the Frankenstein, was much more appropriate. The 10 minutes it usually takes to drive across took 40 minutes :(.

Shiny: The ice was fabulous and one of the coaches just raved about how huge my toe loop and stag falling leaf have gotten. It wasn't my coach, but I'm friends with all the coaches, so it was really nice to hear.

Rusty: Stupid zam driver put the hockey nets out on the ice, guess he wasn't going to zam between freestyles and hockey - poor hockey players! One of the hockey nets was right where I do my back spiral in my program, but once they are out there we are not allowed to take them off the ice.

Shiny: Skated my program well in spite of the hockey net, just adjusted the pattern. Added some extra footwork in the middle and it worked out great!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

ibreakhearts66
06-26-2009, 07:11 PM
Shiny Blades
-Landed 2sal+2loop and 2flip+2loop first try after not attempting them for a while!
-Had a lesson on Novice moves. My coach said I have a good foundation for the slow rocker choctaws and was pleased with my forward inside back inside rolling 3s. She also told me I have pretty spirals 8O
-Some of what my coach has us working on in terms of edge work and pushes and the run of the blade is finally starting to sink in. She's pointed out the improvement, but, more importantly, I can FEEL it.

Rusty Eges
-Not much! Really stiff and sore all over from the fall I took yesterday, but it didn't seem to affect my skating too too much.

Oh, and we came up with a plan for my testing. From now on, we're gonna bring in a tough judge to evaluate me before my tests. I'm retaking Intermediate Moves July 22nd, then throwing Novice moves out July 28th. I'm hoping between feedback on the July 28th Novice moves (I'm assuming I'm going to fail, although my coaches have all said my Novice moves aren't in bad shape) and the evaluations, I MIGHT be able to get to Novice by regionals!

RachelSk8er
06-26-2009, 09:15 PM
Shiny blades: We finished my program Wednesday! It's freakin HARD. As in jam packed with connecting steps, less than 10 crossovers in the entire 2:10 min program, every spin or jump has a non-traditional/difficult entry. Once I get it down, we'll go back and add more arm/body movement (and, according to my coach, even more difficulty, like more revs on twizzles). But I LOVE it! The first 30 sec and my step sequence are pretty solid so far. My coach got a tad carried away with the spin combos he put in there and those are watered down for now, but they'll get there.

Jr moves were good today. We worked on those blasted choctaws and my utter lack of control over my free hip. They're getting better.

Shiny blades/rusty edges: Axel. Still not there, but getting closer/better. I can tell the differences in the take-off that we've worked on.

PinkLaces
06-26-2009, 11:33 PM
I am living vicariously through you all. Sounds like you had awesome skates. Knee is much better. I can do stairs now :D

Not much! Really stiff and sore all over from the fall I took yesterday, but it didn't seem to affect my skating too too much.

Oh, and we came up with a plan for my testing. From now on, we're gonna bring in a tough judge to evaluate me before my tests. I'm retaking Intermediate Moves July 22nd, then throwing Novice moves out July 28th. I'm hoping between feedback on the July 28th Novice moves (I'm assuming I'm going to fail, although my coaches have all said my Novice moves aren't in bad shape) and the evaluations, I MIGHT be able to get to Novice by regionals!

ibreakhearts - glad you're okay and good luck with your tests. Sounds like you have a solid plan.

Shiny blades: We finished my program Wednesday! It's freakin HARD. As in jam packed with connecting steps, less than 10 crossovers in the entire 2:10 min program, every spin or jump has a non-traditional/difficult entry. Once I get it down, we'll go back and add more arm/body movement (and, according to my coach, even more difficulty, like more revs on twizzles). But I LOVE it! The first 30 sec and my step sequence are pretty solid so far. My coach got a tad carried away with the spin combos he put in there and those are watered down for now, but they'll get there.

Rachelsk8r - your program sounds Wicked Awesome!

Shiny: Skated my program well in spite of the hockey net, just adjusted the pattern. Added some extra footwork in the middle and it worked out great!

Petlover - way to improvise! I hate it when they forget the nets.

katz in boots
06-27-2009, 03:26 AM
Rusty
It's hard to practise with a couple teenagers playing basketball on ice :roll: The 'sled of death' made an appearance too.

Frustrating session early on. Working very hard on corrections to basic technique from lesson on Thursday. I got mad at myself because I understand what coach wants, but wasn't able to do it. I left those things for a while, worked on jumps & spins, came back to them later.

Shiny
Did a really good (for me) camel spin. I struggle with these, and to get 5 revs in what felt like a good position, was great. And did a really good change foot upright spin, with the backspin part centred and well balanced even down to the exit.
Jumps weren't bad. Corrected waltz jump is feeling pretty good. Toe-loops felt weird, and I was landing off balance, so I don't think I understand what coach meant about that yet. Loops felt great, like I was really getting some height and distance. Flips were not so great.

After that, I went back to the basics and they started working better again. Finally got a step fwd from mohawk the way it should be, yay!

A nice session, though somehow frustrating. I want to be able to integrate the corrections to technique and be able to apply them immediately and consistently.

The longest journey begins with a single step...

SkatEn
06-27-2009, 04:10 AM
Rusty
It's hard to practise with a couple teenagers playing basketball on ice :roll: The 'sled of death' made an appearance too.

Shiny
Did a really good (for me) camel spin. I struggle with these, and to get 5 revs in what felt like a good position, was great. And did a really good change foot upright spin, with the backspin part centred and well balanced even down to the exit.

What's basketball on ice? Sled of death? Lol I'm imagining hockey players with the balls...

congrats on camel! Camel is such a stinky spin for me. :)

Bunny Hop
06-27-2009, 09:39 AM
What's basketball on ice? Sled of death? Lol I'm imagining hockey players with the balls...I've been to Katz's rink, so I can answer regarding the sled of death. It's like a kid's wooden go-cart onto which someone has mounted skate blades instead of wheels. Kids can drag it around the ice during public sessions. From its well-used appearance I have to say that 'sled of death' is an apt description. As for the basketball, if I remember correctly there is a basketball hoop mounted on the wall at one(?) end of the rink. I remember we speculated as to its use when we were there!

SkatEn
06-27-2009, 09:44 AM
Shiny: The ice was fabulous and one of the coaches just raved about how huge my toe loop and stag falling leaf have gotten. It wasn't my coach, but I'm friends with all the coaches, so it was really nice to hear.

Rusty: Stupid zam driver put the hockey nets out on the ice, guess he wasn't going to zam between freestyles and hockey - poor hockey players! One of the hockey nets was right where I do my back spiral in my program, but once they are out there we are not allowed to take them off the ice.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

Oh gosh. Hockey nets ON the ice? You mean laying them flat on the ice? If so, they are a real hazard! Someone ought to complain!

BTW congrats on the bigger toeloop and stag falling leaf!

dbny
06-27-2009, 03:49 PM
I've been to Katz's rink, so I can answer regarding the sled of death. It's like a kid's wooden go-cart onto which someone has mounted skate blades instead of wheels. Kids can drag it around the ice during public sessions. From its well-used appearance I have to say that 'sled of death' is an apt description. As for the basketball, if I remember correctly there is a basketball hoop mounted on the wall at one(?) end of the rink. I remember we speculated as to its use when we were there!

OMG8O. I have one word for the rink owners - LIABILITY!

Rusty:
In ice dance lesson, coach very pointed asked me "When are getting those blades sharpened?" I was wobbly but it wasn't the blades. I forgot the time for the lesson was earlier than usual, so I didn't have any warm up time.

Shiny:
As we progressed with the edge practice, I got steadier. I knew I didn't have my weight far enough back to hold deep edges on those dull blades.
Did the usual one time thru for the prelim dances. Waiting until the fall to test is going to be harder than I thought.

katz in boots
06-28-2009, 03:28 AM
I've been to Katz's rink, so I can answer regarding the sled of death. It's like a kid's wooden go-cart onto which someone has mounted skate blades instead of wheels. Kids can drag it around the ice during public sessions. From its well-used appearance I have to say that 'sled of death' is an apt description. As for the basketball, if I remember correctly there is a basketball hoop mounted on the wall at one(?) end of the rink. I remember we speculated as to its use when we were there!

Hoops at both ends! There are actually two sleds of death 8O though I've never seen both on the ice at once. Imagine, sled races 8O8O

Rusty
continuing frustration at just not being able to make all coach's corrections work immediately. I know what to do, why can't my brain just tell my body to do it?!

Still most edges are okay, except back insides. Still trying to get the mohawks so that I can immediately step fwd again. Improving but not fast enough for me. Backspins + :frus:

Shiny
camels definitely improving (though coach hasn't torn this spin apart yet, so I don't yet know what I'm doing wrong). Waltz & toe-loop felt okay.

I enjoyed helping other adult skaters today. One lady (mother of young skaters), I'm helping her learn how to skate ( I am not coaching - no money or other payment. With 2 daughters skating, she can't afford a coach). She told me today she is a visual learner. That helped me know how best to help her learn. Another recreational skater was asking for tips, and told me he is a yoga teacher. So of course he was going to best learn by relating to how his body works, he was a kinesthenic learner.

Isn't it interesting how we're all so different in the way we learn!

Mrs Redboots
06-28-2009, 06:40 AM
Rusty: New blades this morning. Yes, well.

Shiny: New blades this morning!

londonicechamp
06-28-2009, 10:09 AM
Hi Mrs Redboots

So how are you getting to the new blades?

londonicechamp

Skate@Delaware
06-29-2009, 08:53 AM
This post is for the entire weekend, from Friday-Sunday...I'm only posting now because I got home late last night and did not bring a computer with me (smart move, no time, utter exhaustion each nite).

Shiny blades: Skating and being around such high-level skaters, National, Jr National, & Olympic Champion skaters as well as their coaches made for real excitement!!!! I was not familiar with all of the skaters, but that did not matter, as it was the STYLE of skating that I (and my girlfriends) were familiar with-freestyle, dance, moves, & figures.

I'll hit the highlights of things learned & done that really made this a special time (I was in Group 2):
Spins (Robin Wagner)
-I finally did something that resembeled a sit spin; with my free foot crossing over the skating foot and actually turned out
-Did several CENTERED scratch spins with free leg HELD HIGH! These were also a lot more revolutions than I had been doing
Moves (Edward VanCampen)
-I'm doing back crossovers very wrong, my weight is not in the right place at all; I can't explain it as I got very frustrated
Figures (Edward again)
-these were soooo cool! Learned to set up a scribe, draw out the circles and set up for the edges (inside, outside, fwd, bacwards). THESE 4 things will really help especially the backwards edges, he also showd the 3-turn figures and at the end I asked him to show the loop
Toe Jumps (Robin)
-Learned there are 2 ways of doing the 1/2 flip; landing on the same foot or doing the 2 toepick landing.
Choreography (Nikolai Morozov)
This was so interesting, he was so funny! I learned how I can finally start to look more "relaxed" when I skate and more natural which has been so hard for me
Off-Ice Jumps (Valentina & Javier-these are the pair team from Spain I didn't catch their last names but they were very nice)
A lot of their presentation was similar to stuff in the Poe book, however I learned an exercise for the waltz jump that we ended up doing later on the ice with Vlad doing jumps...it was spooky how these things were starting to come together!
Strength Conditioning (Tim)
This was ok, I do a lot of this stuff, only thing about it we were doing some of the exercises and he was going around the room but when he got to me and I wasn't doing one he started jazzing me about it but I told him my back was still weak from my herniation & operation....then he said oh, don't do this & that if you have a weak or bad back....:x I thought he should have said that before
Footwork (Olga Orlova & Oksana Baiul)
This class was fantastic! I learned a better way to do the mohawk-crossover footwork, TWIZZLES, then the rocker, and last thing was a turn on the ice on toepick (thought we'd go down for sure and my friend did fall but she is ok)
Combo Jumps (Vladimir-aka "Team V")
He made it easy because he uses great building blocks to start small and build up from there....adding on one step at a time. The interesting thing about his method he uses it on everyone from youngsters to adults. He doesn'd dumb down his method-it's straight forward.
Ballet Stretch-Kenya
This was possibly one of the nicest ballet classes I've ever taken. This woman was very nice and presented the class very relaxed, it was geared to skaters. She gave us specific exercises for our FEET and HIPS!! Yay! It felt good to stretch out (it was a 2nd day class) as we were really getting wiped & tight by now).
Power Stroking-Vladimir
I thought this would be a disaster with all the people we had on the ice...but it ended up being ok. He gave us specific "drills" and we did them to his count, so with everyone being on the same count it worked out. Forward & backward crossovers on the center circle, then we did them down the rink adding leg extension. Next was power 3's so that wasn't anything new except the 2nd time he added a swing roll at the beginning/end to make it look nice.

OVERALL-My coach will love to hear that almost everything I heard at camp is the same stuff she has been beating into my head over & over again! I really enjoyed being with so many other adult skaters, of all the different levels & ages! It was sooooo refreshing to see such wonderful skating! I can't wait to see everyone again and wish we didn't live so far apart!

It was really funny, on the 2nd day a lot of the skaters wore blue/turquoise tops or something with blue/turquoise! It was like "girlfriend" day!!!

Rusty Edges: I love the camp, but each night I had a severe headache like a migraine; it was either from dehydration or the area. The first day, they did not have enough food at lunch for everyone who bought lunch. I was starving so I got my plate and sat down, 15 minutes later my friends came back from their "lets walk outside to warm back up" walk and there was no more food. It was better the 2nd day. My only other downs were about the hotel. They said they had wifi-they didn't (I like it in my room so I can txt my family & listen to sirius radio); they kept kicking us out of the hot tub/pool area so they could have private pool parties-that sucked!; our coffee pot was not restocked even after I called several times (I like my coffee); the skid strips in the bath tub were not in the right spot, so when you got in you almost slip & fall, then when you get OUT of the tub, it's a bigger step down than you expect....THAT was a huge surprise! (I wonder how many falls they actually have because of those 2 issues?)

All-in-all I had a great time and we are planning on going back next year!

phoenix
06-29-2009, 09:44 AM
Wow, Skate@Delaware, I'm so jealous! I always wish to go to a camp in the summer & never end up able to do it. Closest I get is the state PSA seminar, which isn't really all that much fun. Maybe next year??? I wish someone would put something together in Chicago!!

Anyhoo,

Rusty Edges: I've decided it's time to do something about my incredibly weak left forward inside edge--how weird is that? Yep, can barely do it when free leg is in front, a'la coming out of a BO 3 turn. So every time I practice I'm doing all kinds of exercises that work that edge. Maybe by the end of the summer it will be stronger.

Also, had coach look at Paso--I've been working really hard on it & was thinking it was coming along nicely....yeah, not so much. I had the whole pattern shifted, and of course some of the edges aren't deep enough for his liking. So we worked on that, and now though I understand how the pattern needs to go I can't figure out how to set it up correctly w/ the entrance steps I'm doing--so need to have him fix that this week.

Shiny Blades: Even with that, coach was happy with me & my hard work is paying off as his first comment of the day was "It looks like your legs are really strong today." I love being able to hit the ground running in a lesson and feel like I'm ready to work hard right from the start.

The best compliments I get: 1) Coming back from an exercise & he's nodding his head and smiling (and I get "Good!" in Russian), and 2) at the end of a lesson he says, "Good lesson today." I love hearing that!!

LilJen
06-29-2009, 04:12 PM
Rusty Edges indeed! Off the ice since the 10th and was only able to get back today instead of the intended session on Friday because of a very late arrival (3 am Friday morning) from out of town. Lordy, was I wobbly!! I did nothing but edges & crossovers, plus a very few Bronze moves, for the first 45 minutes. Dance Buddy then showed up so I could clunk through a few Fiesta Tangos and Swings. . . Strangely enough, the few spins & jumps I tried were not as bad as I expected. Nice surprise.

Skate@Delaware
06-29-2009, 05:35 PM
Hackensack addendum:
-Anyone who thought about attending the weekend under the dance track, they only had 6 dancers and had a whole rink to themselves!
-It was the first time I was able to actually do a really decent backspin from a 2-foot spin
-the twizzle lesson was fun, once I found out which way my arms & legs were supposed to go
-lunch was great and I lost a few pounds!!!!
-I'm still jazzed about going and a friend I saw today while running errands thought I looked "refreshed" instead of 1/2 dead (maybe he should have seen me last night!)
-moves are still evil!

jazzpants
07-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Thank you for the report on the Hack, S@D!!! OH MY!!! I'm gonna have to make a trip to the Hack for their camp next year!!! LOTS of celebs coaches!!! :) And of course, Edward's "figure loop" is very fitting end to the figures section of the camp!!! :D

So S@D, did he go all "drill sargeant" on you on the crossovers??? :twisted: :P :lol: He did with me, but I had a private lesson so he has the liberty to torture, er...instruct and er....motivate me as he pleases!!! :twisted: :lol: (I will be back for him!!! Don't worry! I love the guy!!!)

And where is John (and Silvia too for that matter...)?

Very weird about the food on the first day!!! I know they probably keep a tight schedule and you want to socialize with your fellow campers. That said, I don't know if I want to buy their food...especially since I know I can get my FAVORITE BURGER at White Manna on River St. (Leisurely 15 minute walk.) :twisted: :yum: :bow: (Okay, if that's not your thing, there are tons of restaurants @ Main St. too!)

If I plan on going, I am expected to stay at Villa "Jazzpants' in-laws." Saves money and it would be a good excuse for the hubby to go visit them. (Hot tub hoggin' isn't really "allowed" at hotels. That said... :evil: )

Skate@Delaware
07-01-2009, 07:04 PM
Thank you for the report on the Hack, S@D!!! OH MY!!! I'm gonna have to make a trip to the Hack for their camp next year!!! LOTS of celebs coaches!!! :) And of course, Edward's "figure loop" is very fitting end to the figures section of the camp!!! :D
Yes, I really, really, REALLY wanted to see one in person (no one at my rink can do them except my coach and she won't show me in lesson cause it's my dime) so it was a real treat, as well as the "Schaefer Push" he used for the figures. He did comment that my back edges were ...... really bad (awful was a word he used) and I agreed. He did offer advice-if you do not have a scribe you can use the circles.
So S@D, did he go all "drill sargeant" on you on the crossovers??? :twisted: :P :lol: He did with me, but I had a private lesson so he has the liberty to torture, er...instruct and er....motivate me as he pleases!!! :twisted: :lol: (I will be back for him!!! Don't worry! I love the guy!!!)
No, he did not, as I fell so far behind and was so confused/flustered in the marked difference between HIS back crossovers and the style my coach teaches, I just gave up. I think he just ignored me after that pathetic attempt. I did call him a nazi (no offense to anyone) he said "do it right or you fail-end of story" and I guess he is right.
And where is John (and Silvia too for that matter...)?
We were told that they were doing camps in Europe then relocating to Atlanta, Georgia....So, people in the South, have fun with that! ;)
Very weird about the food on the first day!!! I know they probably keep a tight schedule and you want to socialize with your fellow campers. That said, I don't know if I want to buy their food...especially since I know I can get my FAVORITE BURGER at White Manna on River St. (Leisurely 15 minute walk.) :twisted: :yum: :bow: (Okay, if that's not your thing, there are tons of restaurants @ Main St. too!)
Yes, but the food had been catered this year, from Boston Market (my favorite treat food) so it was really good: roast turkey, meatloaf, roast potatoes with dill, cole slaw, tossed salad, corn bread, brownies; 2nd day there were boxed lunches with sandwiches as well as the rest.
If I plan on going, I am expected to stay at Villa "Jazzpants' in-laws." Saves money and it would be a good excuse for the hubby to go visit them. (Hot tub hoggin' isn't really "allowed" at hotels. That said... :evil: )I looked online and noticed a Hyatt a bit closer than the "Castle Mordor-Marriot" and with the USFS Rewards program I think there could be a good price. Plus, they are on the river.

I think a question to be asked of returning campers is: have you improved since you came here last year and was it from tips you received here at camp, from an increased interest in skating, or from what reason (please state reason being as specific as possible)... because this information might be very beneficial to them.

I thought for next year's camp they should consider adding a bit about the psychological effects of injuries and how to overcome them; mental preparation for competitions, etc. There was a question from the skaters to the elites but I don't think it was addressed completely.

doubletoe
07-01-2009, 10:40 PM
[B][I]I thought for next year's camp they should consider adding a bit about the psychological effects of injuries and how to overcome them; mental preparation for competitions, etc. There was a question from the skaters to the elites but I don't think it was addressed completely.

The year before last (2007) Adam Rippon's mom--who is a life coach--gave a seminar on the mental/psychological aspects of competitive skating. Unfortunately, many of the camp attendees seemed to find it too general and not specific enough to skating. Kind of a shame.

Terri C
07-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Adding in here...
Plus I tend to think that the adult skater mindset is different, as we have jobs, families and various other adult responsibilties.
ETA... I attended the camp in 2004. While I had a fabulous time, with the 8 hour drive from Virginia Beach, and increasing gasoline costs, I tend to hope that a adult camp could happen somewhere closer to home, (VA/DC/ MD/ NC area).

londonicechamp
07-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Shiny Blades

I finally get my London ice skates, which arrived together with other stuff on Wednesday early evening. Hooray!!!! :D

My coach said that my forward and backward crossovers are definitely better, especially with the edges. :lol:

Scratch spin: much better too, can now have 5 to 7 revolutions, still trying to do it from backward crossovers. :D Can do it during lesson, but cannot always do it during practice. :roll:

Backspin: Just started to learn it with wide leg position holding out, currently managed 3 to 4 revolutions. 8-)

Waltz jump: the jump is definitely higher, and there is now momentum there.

Half flip: so so, still trying to get used to my right toe pick into the ice.

What a difference the ice skates that I regularly use in London makes, compared to my Singapore pair, which I have not used for more than 10 years. :P

Rusty edges

Trying to get lunge lower.

Coach said that I need more stretching exercises (warm up) before I get onto the ice.

Coach said that she is now on "borrowed time" coz of the school holidays, and she is hoping to fit me into once a week regular slot pretty soon.

londonicechamp

londonicechamp
07-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Hi SkatEn

Hope you had a nice lesson yesterday. :D

Very nice to have met you yesterday before your lesson. :)

I shall be there always on a Thursday, about same time as you saw me yesterday.

londonicechamp

Swizzler
07-02-2009, 10:54 PM
This post is for the entire weekend, from Friday-Sunday...I'm only posting now because I got home late last night and did not bring a computer with me (smart move, no time, utter exhaustion each nite).

Off-Ice Jumps (Valentina & Javier-these are the pair team from Spain I didn't catch their last names but they were very nice)
A lot of their presentation was similar to stuff in the Poe book, however I learned an exercise for the waltz jump that we ended up doing later on the ice with Vlad doing jumps...it was spooky how these things were starting to come together!
I would be most interested to hear specifics of the off-ice waltz jump exercises.