View Full Version : Diet, stretch and exercise routine

Yui
06-22-2009, 11:43 AM
Hey guys. im a little chubby at just around 169 lb according to a convertor. i am overweight for my age (13) and want to lose weight. i have started to eat healthier but was wondering on any dieting tips and what i should eat. i dont want a crash diet. also i live 10 mins away from a gym so i can cycle there instead of taking a car. i swim 2-3 times a week, skate twice a week for 1.5 hours. i cycle and play tennis 2-3 times a week. i do cardio tennis which is the most amazing thing ever. in the period of 45 mins i lost 400 calories which i find amazing. i am 77kg for those of you that like kilos. however i just failed my bronze freestyle yesterday, UK and i am quite sad. i was wondering if any of you have anything that would help in getting flexibility such as stretches or anything else, any products that arent too expeinsive. i want to be able to lose 15-30 lb's by the end of this year or maybe 15-20 kilos which would be better. i am 165-67 cm's tall last time i checked around 5ft 4" or something there abouts. i can try to skate more per week but at £4 a ticket i think its overexpensive. (sneak in maybe) lol haha. any tips on a three jump, spiral and bunny hop drag? thanks. i have the time to do enough exercise per day. 5 hours once i get home and all day in the weekend just about. also, my feet hurt abit whilst on the ice, any causes for this? thanks
-Yui-

PS: this forum rules and ive never seen anything like it.
PPS: remember this forum will always rule.
PPPS: i am 13, 169 lbs or 77 kg's 165-167 cm high or 5ft 4" and i have no money, just £40 on a prepaid master card.

Thanks ~Yui

doubletoe
06-22-2009, 12:42 PM
Hi, Yui! It sounds like you are already starting to create good habits for yourself! If you cycle for at least 30 minutes a day, 5 days per week, you should start to lose weight after a month or so (maybe sooner). As for diet, don't start on any diet that is difficult for you to maintain because you'll just end up giving up on it (which is what happens to almost everyone with every diet). Instead, make small changes that are reasonable, so that you don't feel deprived and tortured.
I like the "no white food" diet. Nothing made with white flour, white sugar or corn syrup, and only foods that use the complete grain or vegetable. In other words, no white bread, white rice, white pasta, potato chips, french fries, etc. Instead, you eat only whole grains (like whole wheat bread, brown rice, buckwheat noodles, whole potato with skin, etc.) and things sweetened with an unprocessed sweetener such as fruit juice, cane juice, molasses or honey. You can eat cookies and other sweets as long as they are made from whole grain flour and one of these natural sweeteners. It is healthier, and most importantly, it prevents you from eating ANY fast food and junk food, since all junk food is made with these processed "white" flours and sweeteners.
Don't worry about how much you eat, just focus on WHAT you eat. This is a diet you can continue for the rest of your life without feeling deprived, since you can really eat anything you want as long as it uses natural sweeteners like honey, cane juice or fruit juice, and uses whole grains (popcorn is fine, too, since you eat the entire corn kernel!). You just need to plan your meals a little more.
Also, here is a good source for stretches: http://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/docs/rec/stretching/stretching_7.html
Always stretch right after exercising, when your muscles are warm.
P.S. I am 166 cm. and that's 5'5-1/2" so it sounds like you are about the same. :)

Mrs Redboots
06-22-2009, 01:17 PM
Hi, Yui,

Basically if you just cut out junk food, you should be fine. Or don't even cut it out completely, but save it for real treats. So keep sweets, crisps (and similar, like Doritos and Monster Munch), biscuits and doughnuts to a minimum - have fruit, instead. Or veggie sticks (carrots, courgettes, celery, peppers) with a thing of hummus to dip them into.

Enlist the help of whoever prepares the food in your house, and explain what you're aiming for. Probably all you need to is ask for some extra vegetables with your evening meal, so that you have slightly more veg, and slightly less potatoes/pasta/rice (do have some, though - probably 1/4 to 1/3 of your plate should be starchy carbs). Try to have fruit-based puds rather than cream-based most days.

But don't fuss too much - you're still growing, and will probably "grow out" of being slightly chubby, especially if you keep on playing tennis, cycling and skating!

Yui
06-22-2009, 01:21 PM
Thanks for that advice. Hmm that should help. ill look through my stuff at home and pick out what takes my fancy.ill make sure to cycle about 30-60 mins per day. i usually stretch and im gonna start working towards my splits. i think that i do watch what i eat but when you see the variety infront of you then it goes all wobbly. however this advert is the best ive seen for cool weight loss. cant find the video, but it has a woman that passes a man with tortitlla doritos which she fancies, just when she's about to put her hand forward the guy turns into the devil, she then moves on, then she passes a woman with fatty choclate custard cream pastries and the woman then turns into the witch. she then goes to her desk and has a 90 cals special k mini breaks snack. and she is a happy woman.

EDIT To anna: i dont eat crisps alot now and looking at a doughnut makes me shiver after finding out it takes a 4 mile walk to burn off the cals gained. i rarely have a pudding and if it is its usually a muller corner fruit. at school i usualy have a sandiwhich or a salad which i buy, orange juice with bits and maybe a yogughrt. i do usually have pasta or rice and i have veggies and fruit every day of the week. i love nibbling on carrots and occasionaly a courget. last time i had a burger was on saturday and that was the first time for two years or something. but that was after a swimming gala and my dad gave me a treat

RachelSk8er
06-22-2009, 04:38 PM
I think at your age, if you're active and watch junk food, that should be enough. A lot of teens or even young adults grow out of it at some point. The worst thing you could possibly do is overexercise and/or starve yourself.

Also, depending on your build, weight can vary greatly. You can have two people who are the same height and weight (let's use 5'4 and 150 pounds as an example). One person with a smaller frame or not a lot of muscle mass at that height/weight may look chubby. Another person who is athletic and has a lot of muscle mass may look like an athlete. Don't go by what a scale says, go by how you feel when you look in the mirror, how you feel when you exercise, and if you can, get your body fat percentage tested. The scale also may not be a good indicator of progress--a pound of muscle takes up much less room than a pound of fat, and if you lose 2 pounds of fat but put on a pound of muscle, it'll only show 1 pound of difference. (There is NOTHING wrong with putting on muscle, even if you're female...you don't have the hormones to bulk up and look manly.)

doubletoe
06-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Yes, RachelSk8r is right. Muscle is good and it weighs more than fat. So measure your waist and hips once a week to keep track of your fat loss, but throw away the scale and stop counting calories. It will just make you obsessive (I think a lot of us have been there and can attest to that!). It's all about forming long-term habits that make you NOT crave those Doritos (or even consider them food, LOL!) and it's also about raising your metabolism through aerobic exercise like the bike riding (which makes your body burn more calories for the next 24 hours, even while you're just sitting at your desk!).

Yui
06-23-2009, 03:01 PM
YAY im so happy. in one week of eating healthily i lost 2lb or 1kg. i will not obsess and will not count calories

doubletoe
06-23-2009, 03:36 PM
Yay!! Good for you! (or should I say "Good for Yui" LOL!)

londonicechamp
06-24-2009, 01:35 AM
Hi Yui

Keep up the good work!!!! Let us know about your progress.

londonicechamp

RachelSk8er
06-24-2009, 06:47 AM
YAY im so happy. in one week of eating healthily i lost 2lb or 1kg. i will not obsess and will not count calories

You should not lose more in a week than that.

Skate@Delaware
06-24-2009, 08:42 AM
You are 13 years old and you should be consuming quite a bit of calories to allow for puberty and your activities. But as long as you follow a healthy eating plan, cut back on junk & fat you should be doing good without going crazy counting calories. What some people like to do is eat really good 90% of the time and "cheat" 10% of the time; what this means is plan for a few cheat meals (not days) where you can eat whatever you want at that meal (including dessert).

So far it sounds like you are on the right track!

Yui
06-24-2009, 11:09 AM
You should not lose more in a week than that.

I know the healthy way to lose weight is only to lose 2lb's per week or you gain it back most of the time. i am not counting calories but i do sometimes cheat the system :twisted: i only check the scales once a week. but i try to lose weight so i can do better at sports and to look better. i get laughed at sometimes and it just horrible. i feel embarrassed walking around town or going to play sports. its like when i fall i think they are all going to go and laugh at me. it just feels horrible. i was bullied for 3-4 years because of being fat/chubby and for those of you that have its horrible.

Skittl1321
06-24-2009, 11:27 AM
Yui- have you talked to a doctor about weight loss?

At your age, you can't really take tips of the internet. You are in a very important stage of growth and development, and most internet tips are for adults who are past that stage.

If you "diet" you need to be very sure you are getting the proper nutrients still- it can be very challenging to do. A physician or nutritionalist would be able to guide you with what is appropriate for your age.

Yui
06-24-2009, 01:10 PM
Yui- have you talked to a doctor about weight loss?

At your age, you can't really take tips of the internet. You are in a very important stage of growth and development, and most internet tips are for adults who are past that stage.

If you "diet" you need to be very sure you are getting the proper nutrients still- it can be very challenging to do. A physician or nutritionalist would be able to guide you with what is appropriate for your age.
Hmm good point. In my terms, the diet i am on is just eating healthier. i am still eating meat eggs and so on. but i dont eat things like chocolate, crisps or anything fatty. i am not going on a strict diet like weightwatchers or anything else. im not cutting out essential things out my life, just starting to have my 5 a day and eating better. according to a chart that was in my doctors surgery, i am well over the healthy weight for my height. i have a 36" waist and am embarrassed when buying clothes. i want to go back to 30" or so. :) which i used to have. but i will think about it. :halo: thanks for the help though.

Stormy
06-24-2009, 01:24 PM
I know the healthy way to lose weight is only to lose 2lb's per week or you gain it back most of the time. i am not counting calories but i do sometimes cheat the system :twisted: i only check the scales once a week. but i try to lose weight so i can do better at sports and to look better. i get laughed at sometimes and it just horrible. i feel embarrassed walking around town or going to play sports. its like when i fall i think they are all going to go and laugh at me. it just feels horrible. i was bullied for 3-4 years because of being fat/chubby and for those of you that have its horrible.

No, what you said about the healthy way to lose weight is 2 pounds a week or you gain it back isn't true. Not by any means. I really think you need to talk to you doctor about this, it seems like you have a little misinformation. Your doc will be able to give you the best advice about how to lose weight. It's fine to ask for general advice here, but seeing as you're so young, it's really best to talk to your doc.

Yui
06-24-2009, 01:37 PM
No, what you said about the healthy way to lose weight is 2 pounds a week or you gain it back isn't true. Not by any means. I really think you need to talk to you doctor about this, it seems like you have a little misinformation. Your doc will be able to give you the best advice about how to lose weight. It's fine to ask for general advice here, but seeing as you're so young, it's really best to talk to your doc.
Sure, but most of the time, diets lead you to only lose 2lb a week since its not too fast or slow. i will book with my doctor and see. however if you lose 30lb a week (over exaggeration) its not going to be the healthiest thing ever is it. you'll eventually gain it back. ill speak with my doctor and see.

Stormy
06-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Sure, but most of the time, diets lead you to only lose 2lb a week since its not too fast or slow. i will book with my doctor and see. however if you lose 30lb a week (over exaggeration) its not going to be the healthiest thing ever is it. you'll eventually gain it back. ill speak with my doctor and see.

Defintiely speak with your doctor. The 2 pounds a week isn't accurate and like I said, your doctor is really the only one who should be advising you since you're a young teenager and they will give you the best advise.

Amandaskategirl
06-24-2009, 06:59 PM
I think that you sound like you are right on track, and sound like you are handling this very well. I am impressed with how responsible you sound for your age and how keen you are to do things healthily :) Way to go!

I think as far as stretching goes, it is not necessary to buy any flexibility products. Here is my advice about stretching:

- WARM UP! Very important - stretching is not a sufficient warm up in itself. The body must warm up to loosen the muscles because the colder your muscles are, the harder it'll be to stretch them. Also, cold muscles are prone to injury. You could do some light jogging on the spot or star jumps. Or simply circling each of the major joints.

- don't force or bounce stretches. Stretching gently but holding a stretch, resting and then repeating is sufficient to improve. It is commitment to a stretching routine which will help you to become more flexible.

It sounds like you do a good variety of exercise! Excellent!

Yui
07-04-2009, 01:56 PM
UPDATE: After trying out an "unhealthy" approach i now know what is bad. so in the last week i gained a kilo as a tester. now im gonna start losing it again. hehehe

Skate@Delaware
07-05-2009, 09:14 AM
You are still going through puberty, you should expect to see a growth spurt soon, so be sure you are eating very healthy. The less junk you eat the better your growth (especially height) will be. And the healthier. I'm talking about hair, skin, muscles, nerves, etc. The whole package. If you need help, ask your doctor for a referral to a dietician; this person can help guide you in your menu planning and food decisions. These decisions can stick with you for the rest of the live-so much better if you make healthy choices.

Good luck!

Rob Dean
07-05-2009, 09:21 AM
I'll echo what everyone said about checking with your doctor, especially as you're still growing. That said, the exercise is likely to be a good idea, and biking is great for weight loss/control--but not so much for flexibility. Don't know what the UK bike magazines are like, but in the US they are full of eating tips and exercise tips. If you're on a limited budget, see if your local library has a subscription (and suggest it if they don't).

Skate@Delaware
07-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Cycling is a great means of exercising, just throw in some weight-bearing exercise. Recent research show that cycling (I'm talking about cyclists that race and go the long term) lose bone mass). I'm sure if you skate enough that will more than compensate for that!

cycling is fun in the summer (although I'm not that big a fan of it-too many dogs tend to give chase and I can't go fast enough to out run).

Query
07-05-2009, 05:01 PM
My somewhat dated Ace Fitness Manual (used to train fitness instructors) said people can't burn more than .1 pounds/day of fat (.7 pounds/week). If you lose faster, you are mostly burning muscle instead of fat, and your strength/weight ratio (which helps determine how well you can jump and stabilize balance) probably goes down. Not a great idea, athletically speaking. Unsafe if you lose too much, because some of the muscle will be from your heart and around your lungs.

In addition, if you go back to an earlier weight too quickly, the remaining fat will probably cluster around your waist and your behind (not sure why), so you won't really be as thin as you used to be. Of course, then you can use strength training to get your fat/muscle ratio right, but with less muscle to begin with, that will go slowly, and (since muscle tone burns calories) it will be very easy to regain the weight. It is supposed to make sense to go more slowly, and augment the diet with exercise, including strength training, to keep more of the muscle.

At least that is what the book said, as I recall.

I've only been trying to lose .5 pounds/week, to be on the safe side, and sometimes I give in and lose a week. Have lost about 24 pounds. Another 11 to go to get back to college weight.

BTW, expect weight to vary a few pounds / day, unless you weigh yourself in the morning after using the toilet and before eating or drinking anything. Even then it may vary somewhat because different types of food take different amounts of time to work their way through your system - you have to look at long term trends, rather than expect to lose an exact amount every day.

A lot of skaters, dancers, gymnists and such try to lose too much weight. A few get sick or die. A lot of this diet and exercise thing seems to vary by individual. Hope your doctor helps you decide what is safe. (Most doctors are totally overweight and unhealthy, work really long hours, etc. But they know what is healthy, and can help.)

BTW, People will laugh at you whether you look "right" or not. It's part of life, and you can just laugh with them and enjoy it. Laughter is beautiful. If you laugh enough, you will be beautiful, regardless of anything else. Falling isn't bad either - done right, it's a fairly safe way to avoid injuring yourself by fighting the fall too hard. If they laugh when you fall, have fun practicing a few gentle falls on purpose, with a smile on your face.

Skate@Delaware
07-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Most people find they lose a lot of weight at first (anywhere from 2-10 pounds per week have been documented at the gym I used to work at), which is always very encouraging. It is a combination of many factors, from water loss to a super slow metabolism revving up. Then, as things equalize, it slows down. This is when the person enters "the danger zone" when the needle on the scale doesn't budge as quicky as it did in the beginning, they become frustrated and discouraged.

At this point (infamous plateau), instead of giving up....the person really needs to step it up to the next level. This happens because their body has adapted to this new level of fitness and eating. They are becoming more fit, healthier and stronger. More efficient.

It takes about 1-4 weeks before things start rolling again, but the next phase is worth it. We would change out their workouts every 4-6 weeks, just to keep plateaus from happening. And keep people off the scales, but do measurements and body fat measurements instead. Stepping on the scale can be discouraging, when you start gaining muscle...which tends to freak people out, instead you go by how your clothes fit and how you feel.

Yui
07-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Most people find they lose a lot of weight at first (anywhere from 2-10 pounds per week have been documented at the gym I used to work at), which is always very encouraging. It is a combination of many factors, from water loss to a super slow metabolism revving up. Then, as things equalize, it slows down. This is when the person enters "the danger zone" when the needle on the scale doesn't budge as quicky as it did in the beginning, they become frustrated and discouraged.

At this point (infamous plateau), instead of giving up....the person really needs to step it up to the next level. This happens because their body has adapted to this new level of fitness and eating. They are becoming more fit, healthier and stronger. More efficient.

It takes about 1-4 weeks before things start rolling again, but the next phase is worth it. We would change out their workouts every 4-6 weeks, just to keep plateaus from happening. And keep people off the scales, but do measurements and body fat measurements instead. Stepping on the scale can be discouraging, when you start gaining muscle...which tends to freak people out, instead you go by how your clothes fit and how you feel.

That helps since when i weighed myself i expected it to be a smaller number by 1kg or something, but it went up one again but now my trousers with a belt on fall off. the belt is on its tightest. whats most frustrating is my jeans

Skate@Delaware
07-08-2009, 04:12 PM
That helps since when i weighed myself i expected it to be a smaller number by 1kg or something, but it went up one again but now my trousers with a belt on fall off. the belt is on its tightest. whats most frustrating is my jeans
Jeans ALWAYS shrink in the wash/dryer....it's laundry law. I almost had a heart attack earlier this week when I GAINED 2 lbs....and realized that I must have finally packed on some huge-honkin' muscle! My workouts are hitting pay-dirt. I have biceps now. But I did freak out for a while. 8O

sk8joyful
07-08-2009, 11:49 PM
Hmm good point.
im not cutting out essential things out my life, just starting to have my 5 a day and eating better.
according to a chart that was in my doctors surgery, i am well over the healthy weight for my height.
i have a 36" waist and am embarrassed when buying clothes.
i want to go back to 30" or so. :) which i used to have. :halo: thanks for the help though.

Hi,
Kewl general advice you got from skaters, like doubletoe advised
you in:
Yes, RachelSk8r is right. Muscle is good and it weighs more than fat. Throw away the scale and stop counting calories. Eat wholesome natural foods.

as you're 13, how did your medical-doctor help your parents, and you? - or is it an emotional?, or hormonal? challenge.

Noticing most diets end-up failing people, instead I co-operate with my genetic blood-type: http://www.dadamo.com/science.htm I wonder if your doctor is familiar with, & uses this. I mention it because about 20 of our friends, once they realized this, changed what kinds of foods they eat, and their problems left. - So you could ask your doctor, what he thinks.

Basically I eat nutrient-rich (vibrantly & dark-colored) food staples as they are grown. So yummy!
You could look these over http://www.betterbones.com/alkalinebalance/alkalineformingfoods.aspx choosing foods you find yummy :) too.

No, I'm not 13 anymore; but I'm 5'4" & weigh 112 lbs; and am happy & healthy.

I wish you all the best! :D

Yui
07-09-2009, 11:15 AM
cool thanks guys for your help. but my jeans dont shrink they are too big. but i wear 36" yet if falls whilst i cant fit into 34". hmmm yea i might be developing muscle also, thanks for the links. my parents are both doctors , gynecologists that deliver babies however my dad is fine my my mum has arthritis and so is a bit on the heavy side but she still helps me. i do however have rheumatoid arthritis in my ankles but its better now i still do everything i used to do except in swimming my left foot kills like hell need to see if i can have an x-ray on my foot before i go to egypt. i will continue to post updates even when im in egypt and ill tell you how its going. i was wondering guys, is a jacket potato with beans and chedar cheese healthy. because i watched a program called 10 tips to losing weight and they did experiments and they concluded that backed beans keep you fuller for longer and they did an experiment on a man and one day he had cheese with his food and one day he didnt. they took a poo sample and they concluded that the man lost more fat when he hate cheese than when he didnt. i might make food diary blog and link it to it in my sig and so people can advise me. is that a good idea?

EDIT: may i ask, can someone tell me what a protein rich diet is? also is it healthy? thanks

RachelSk8er
07-09-2009, 03:37 PM
cool thanks guys for your help. but my jeans dont shrink they are too big. but i wear 36" yet if falls whilst i cant fit into 34".

EDIT: may i ask, can someone tell me what a protein rich diet is? also is it healthy? thanks

Skaters (and generally any lower body sport that develops glutes and thighs) will always have a harder time fitting into pants. You may have to go up a size to get them to fit your butt/thighs, but then the waistband is too big. Tailoring or just scouring the mall, finally finding something that fits and then buying it in every color are usually what we have to do. (Materials with a little stretch to them work best....or I have just always worn skirts a lot since they're easier to find). You may also have a heck of a time finding juniors clothes that fit you right (such as what they sell in the stores where other girls your age are shopping) because they tend to be cut much smaller in the hips, butt and thighs, you might have to try and shop where women more in their 20s are shopping for pants.

A protein rich diet is a diet where you eat a lot more protein than the "normal" diet, and typically less starchy carbs (typically trying to avoid "white" carbs such as white bread, white rice, etc altogether and instead opting for small servings of brown rice, whole wheat breads, sweet potato instead of a regular potato, etc, and also avoid anything sugary). You'd eat a serving of protein at every meal, and snack on protein-rich foods (hard boiled eggs, cottage cheese, almonds). Some people go so far as to avoid anything processed (including lunch meat). Typically vegetables, in particular anything green, can be eaten in unlimited quantities. It's not bad for you as long as you are sticking to lean meats such as chicken, fish, etc that are prepared in a healthy way (grilled or baked, not fried). Most of the criticism surrounding the Atkins diet, which was a high protein diet popular 5 or 6 yrs ago, was that people, some of whom were heavy and had high cholesterol to begin with, were going on it and eating too many foods that were high in cholesterol, such as beef, sausage, a lot of cheese, etc. They may have lost weight, but it still was not helping other side effects of being overweight.

Yui
07-09-2009, 04:45 PM
Skaters (and generally any lower body sport that develops glutes and thighs) will always have a harder time fitting into pants. You may have to go up a size to get them to fit your butt/thighs, but then the waistband is too big. Tailoring or just scouring the mall, finally finding something that fits and then buying it in every color are usually what we have to do. (Materials with a little stretch to them work best....or I have just always worn skirts a lot since they're easier to find). You may also have a heck of a time finding juniors clothes that fit you right (such as what they sell in the stores where other girls your age are shopping) because they tend to be cut much smaller in the hips, butt and thighs, you might have to try and shop where women more in their 20s are shopping for pants.

A protein rich diet is a diet where you eat a lot more protein than the "normal" diet, and typically less starchy carbs (typically trying to avoid "white" carbs such as white bread, white rice, etc altogether and instead opting for small servings of brown rice, whole wheat breads, sweet potato instead of a regular potato, etc, and also avoid anything sugary). You'd eat a serving of protein at every meal, and snack on protein-rich foods (hard boiled eggs, cottage cheese, almonds). Some people go so far as to avoid anything processed (including lunch meat). Typically vegetables, in particular anything green, can be eaten in unlimited quantities. It's not bad for you as long as you are sticking to lean meats such as chicken, fish, etc that are prepared in a healthy way (grilled or baked, not fried). Most of the criticism surrounding the Atkins diet, which was a high protein diet popular 5 or 6 yrs ago, was that people, some of whom were heavy and had high cholesterol to begin with, were going on it and eating too many foods that were high in cholesterol, such as beef, sausage, a lot of cheese, etc. They may have lost weight, but it still was not helping other side effects of being overweight.

Thanks for the info but please note i am a male lol. Hmm yea. Ok i dont tend to eat alot of sausage and have gone off crisps and dont like them but if a friend has a packet i might ask for the smallest chip. At school i ask for boiled potatoes instead of fried or whatever it is. Can i ask is curry or chicken cooked in a curry masala sort of way fine? Thanks for your feedback though ill bear in mind the info. I tend to eat weetabix or cereal for breakfast sometimes an orange and two bananas and if i have an egg i dont fry it but i cook it with water and vegetables instead of oil or butter or whatever. I like cottage cheese and humous and i do activities more. So im getting there. I think when i go to egypt ill take my tennis racket as well and play tennis and run around the 400m track. Sorry if my name confuses you, yui is my nickname. Lol hehehe

Skate@Delaware
07-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Your RA might be messing your metabolism up a bit you should check into that, and maybe have your hormones checked. As for jeans. I have had better luck shopping where the Latina or Black girls shop-being curvier their jeans fit nice (stores like Rainbo).

About that 'poo' test: I think he just excreted excess (beyond what his digestive tract could metabolize) he did not lose body fat. If it were only that easy!

doubletoe
07-10-2009, 01:08 AM
Ah, you are a MALE! That changes the jeans conversation then, LOL! Be glad you aren't a woman because our jeans are supposed to be form-fitting and that makes the fit much tougher. For guys, doesn't the waist just have to fit, as long as you get the right style (probably relaxed fit, not slim fit)?

Skate@Delaware
07-10-2009, 09:06 AM
Now I'm embarrassed!!! That's what I get for ASSUMING someone is something they are not.....8O That does make things slightly different as far as the clothing goes, but not for the diet/exercise stuff.

Next time I guess I should ask--male or female???

Anyway, you should be busting through with a burst of puberty and that will give you a jolt of height. My son just went through a bit of it and has grown 3 inches in this past year (he is also 13). He gained weight when he dropped hockey and I had to do some dietary & exercise changes for him. He hops on the elliptical machine for high-intensity intervals for 10-20 minutes 3x weekly, and we swing kettlebells and do other weight exercises. I have also banned junk food from the house, and have cut back on the amount of processed foods as well.

Yui
07-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the advice. we dont have a lot of junk food in our house and im in the uk so the shops differ. i tend to wear loose sort of jeans or maybe skinnier than baggy but never slim fit or skinny. i dont really like junk food and oily stuff makes me feel weird when all the grease has stained the paper. idont get what the pesron above me by two was saying about the metabolism... hmm im off to make the blog i was talking about earlier. a food diary. also about the faeces poo test, it has nothing to do with the digestive tract. the scientists said that the fat and the good bits in the cheese stick to other pieces of fat in the food taken in and is then excreted or digested. im off to egypt and ill try to be as healthy but no guarantee. thanks guys, keep posting!

IceSkateRuth
07-10-2009, 03:21 PM
I can't give you any advice cause I'm going through the same thing, I'm 13, 5'4, and I'm 158 pounds. But I lost one pound so far and I'm exercising again. Good luck though :)

sk8tmum
07-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Some of the questions you're asking about can be answered through a search on the internet for a good site that shows nutritonal values for foods. You'll be looking for fat, calories, carbohydrates etc. Remember also to look for sodium contents: many of the foods you are describing, if they are done with prepared sauces, may be extremely high in sodium, which is very unhealthy.

Remember also to look at portion size. Study after study have shown that people underestimate proper portion size and then overeat. Get a scale and weigh your food.

On that subject: don't rely on the scale for yourself either. Get a measuring tape. Measure yourself and write it down. As you work out more, you may end up gaining weight and losing inches, as muscle replaces fat (muscle weighs more.) Good ones to measure: chest,waist, hips, upper and lower thighs, flexed and unflexed biceps. You'll be able to chart your progress as you continue to improve your overall fitness level.

Is there any chance you have access to a fitness trainer? Your mum and dad might be able to source a good one from medical colleagues: they'll set up with a proper plan, and work with you. It can be a one-shot deal with later followup, or a regular meeting - whatever can be afforded.

Skate@Delaware
07-11-2009, 08:15 PM
If you want to track what you eat online, some good sites are:

www.fitday.com
www.sparkpeople.com

They also offer support and other fitness advice. A strong support system is necessary (VITAL) to getting in shape and staying there.

As for the jeans, yes my son wears his LOOSE he says they are more comfortable (altho they are not so loose his underthings show, a look I cannot abide). The loose look must be a guy thing altho I've been tempted to keep some of my larger jeans handy.

Have fun in Egypt and enjoy yourself! You must write and tell us about your adventure and the experience!!!

Yui
07-12-2009, 03:57 AM
If you want to track what you eat online, some good sites are:

www.fitday.com
www.sparkpeople.com

They also offer support and other fitness advice. A strong support system is necessary (VITAL) to getting in shape and staying there.

As for the jeans, yes my son wears his LOOSE he says they are more comfortable (altho they are not so loose his underthings show, a look I cannot abide). The loose look must be a guy thing altho I've been tempted to keep some of my larger jeans handy.

Have fun in Egypt and enjoy yourself! You must write and tell us about your adventure and the experience!!!

Thanks and yea. i see people with there jeans below there bottom and im like errrr your jeans have fallen down. Ill keep a food diary and a diary of what happens in egypt in one blog. ill make it now, link it in my sig area and update it everyday. there will be 1-2 weeks were i wont be able to update or i might not even be able to update the whole holiday. but if that happens in write everything that happens down then when i get back to the uk ill add it all in to the blog. ok off to make the blog and will edit in link!

EDIT: Done, Gonna update it now:
Link: Yui's Food and Egypt Diary Blog (http://yuis-food-diary.blogspot.com/)

Yui
07-14-2009, 12:31 PM
BUMB: 753 views and only 37 posts, half or only a quarter of which by me! come on guys. i made my food diary and will try to keep it updated every day what else do you want? A sticky? lol :giveup:

doubletoe
07-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Yui - Here's some very interesting scientific research that supports the "no white food" diet (i.e., just eating less processed food rather than counting calories):

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20327171.200-the-calorie-delusion-why-food-labels-are-wrong.html?full=true

Yui
07-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Yui - Here's some very interesting scientific research that supports the "no white food" diet (i.e., just eating less processed food rather than counting calories):

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20327171.200-the-calorie-delusion-why-food-labels-are-wrong.html?full=true
Thanks for the link. its really interesting and i've been reading it over and over taking in what it states. Hmmm, like my blog? Havent been able to add much but ill add what happened yesterday and today!

doubletoe
07-16-2009, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the link. its really interesting and i've been reading it over and over taking in what it states. Hmmm, like my blog? Havent been able to add much but ill add what happened yesterday and today!

Awesome about the drop from the 36" waist to 32"!!! Woo hoo!!

Yui
07-17-2009, 02:58 PM
Awesome about the drop from the 36" waist to 32"!!! Woo hoo!!

not 32" yet, at 34", but getting there hehe :P