View Full Version : Lake Placid - June 2009

2salch0w
06-19-2009, 11:20 AM
I was hoping to find a thread reporting back from Adult Week up in Lake Placid. Did anyone attend that could give us a brief update on how the week is going so far?

Seems like the weather was lousy - that's one thing about June in LP. But that's what you have all that ice for. :)

I'll be up there for August adult week and intend to post a daily blog.

Tim

LWalsh
06-20-2009, 08:59 PM
Hi Tim!

I just got back tonight so I didn't get to stay for the show unfortunately. I think attendance was a bit light this year overall due to the economy. Even Lou was unable to make it this year, though I don't know why. Several others couldn't make it for various reasons:cry:

Will say that we got the most amount of ice on the 1980 rink that I have ever seen in all my years of going. On the downside the ice on Friday was very limited. It seems that CanAm cancelled their ice earlier in the week so the USA rink was never put up until Friday so there was a lack of ice to go around for everyone. Nonetheless it was a really fun week and as always great coaching.:)

A few of the skaters are also returning for the August week. Unfortuntely I cannot make it in August but my condo is available for rent that week (for cheap for a group of skaters). I'd much rather have skaters than people I don't know renting. PM me if anyone is interested.

LWalsh

2salch0w
06-22-2009, 03:01 PM
Hey Lara - What, were you the ONLY one there??? :)

I'm glad it was a nice week for you - I mean, how could it not be? I'm really looking forward to August. Last week my mind was in LP quite a bit, but I guess now that June week has passed, I guess I'm happy to still have it to look forward to.

Too bad you can't make it back in August. Maybe I"ll see you next year. Or at Halloween?

Tim

LWalsh
06-22-2009, 10:53 PM
Hey Tim,

LOL - Judging by the replies maybe so! I thought for sure someone else would weigh in on their experiences. Where is everyone??? To elaborate some more...they threw us a nice cocktail party on wednesday as always. I think everyone got a prize in the drawing. Mary Elizabeth is back at ORDA, she had gone to USFS for a while but decided she missed LP too much. I wish someone would post about the show on saturday. I had to get back to NJ for work :cry: but I am headed back up to LP on wednesday.:lol:

Anyway, I think I'll be at Halloween this year and I'm considering ANs next year. Though I have a feeling Lake Placid will bid for AN for the following year...

Lara

happysk8tes
06-25-2009, 09:55 PM
Hello Tim, Hello Lara!

The Adult Skating Show on Satuday was great fun, as always. There were two group numbers, 2 dance couples, 6 female soloists, and a charming Mother and Daughter number. The first group number was skated to the song "Sisters" from White Christmas. What a fun number to watch! MaryE choreographed it and did a great job. Once dance couple skated a free dance to Spanish guitar music, the other couple skated a great Swing to non test music. I skated my solo to the "Skater's Watlz" half dance, half free style. I was also in the final number, another synchro Figure group number skated to Enya music.

Christi has posted pictures of the show on her Lake Placid blog (I enjoy reading her blog all through the year).

http://www.lakeplacidskater.blogspot.com/

As always, the Protopopovs were in the audience. They are currently working on their number for the "Evening with Champions" at Harvard next fall. They wear their Harvard jackets at the rink.

There was the usually party after the show. More raffle tickets! The prize for the "Free Week" next year was given away Saturday instead of Wednesday. And again, I think we all won a price. I chose a new skating magazine - can't remember the name of it though. It's to be put our quarterly.

All the new people enjoyed the week, and all say they are returning next year. I wondered if you would be there, Tim. Glad you will go in August. I'm trying to go back for a few days then. Lara, I may just take you up on your condo offer some time, thanks.

Pat