View Full Version : Do selective warm-ups make sense for stretching?

Query
06-16-2009, 05:38 PM
Do selective warm-ups make sense for stretching?

Specifically, I want to only warm up the muscles I seek to stretch, so as to avoid accidentally stretching the things that should not stretch.

Background

I’ve tried to stretch for over 20 years with very limited success. I have substantially less flexibility than most people, in attempts to touch my toes, to bend forward and back and sideways, to do torso twists, to do splits, and to increase hip turn-out. (Also to flex my ankles forward and back, but I used to have a lot of ankle sprains, so that may be hopeless.) This has included standard gym and aerobics class exercises, yoga, PNF (tiring out the muscles used by the somewhat counterproductive “stretch reflex” which unconsciously contracts muscles you try to stretch - not all that safe), and complete relaxation (suppressing the stretch reflex – really not safe).

With bent knees, I can stretch further on all the mentioned things except torso twists. I do not believe external (near-skin) muscles are pressing down on too much on the other layers when they contract, limiting motion by increasing friction, a problem ballet dancers are taught to worry about, because I have tried relaxing everything, without much effect. A sports Physical Therapist [PT] /Certified Physical Trainer [PTC] said I do not have arthritis, which limits some other people’s stretches.

As near as I can tell by what muscles are placed under tension by stretches, and by where I do not feel pressure, my forward bend, straight leg split stretches and hip turn-out are all limited by psoas muscle lengths, my torso twists by the obliques, and my backward bends are possibly limited by my gluts (have trouble feeling it – may be the deeper muscles). I don’t believe my current limits are imposed by ligaments, joint capsules or bones, because of those tensions, and because of the effect of bending my knees, though I understand many people have motion limited by those things.

That which limits each type of flexibility varies substantially from individual to individual! Don’t assume you have my specific problems. You should pay close attention to what tensions and pressures limit motion, and get help from a well trained and recommended pro.

The PT/PTC may have provided a partial reason for my failures, while diagnosing something else: I mostly do not use many of the muscles around my hips and gluts. Instead I use my quads and a little bit of my hamstrings in weight support and motion.

(This problem isn’t entirely uncommon, but you probably should not self-diagnose yourself without the help of a suitable pro, as it is quite difficult to figure out what safely can and should be stretched.)

The PT/PTC verified that warming up a muscle, ligament, or joint capsule prepares it to stretch, because the stuff that they are made of alters it's shape (I think by letting fibers slide against each other) most easily when it is warm. It seems likely I have been unsuccessful because the muscles whose length currently limits my range of motion do not get warm enough to stretch much.

What I have been previously taught is that one should do a general physiological warm-up before stretching. The idea is to prepare potentially arthritic tissue for less fricative motion, by warming it up, oxygenating it, and gently lubricating it. Of course, my general warm-up unintentially excluded the muscles I needed to stretch, so it was ineffective.

I’ve been taught that the amount that ligaments and joint capsules can stretch is quite limited for physiological reasons, and it isn't a very good idea to over-stretch them, because that makes joints unstable. Therefore many people advocate avoiding ligament and joint capsule stretches, by only doing short static (non-bouncy) stretches, advice I haven’t always known about or followed. In addition, on joints which tend to be unstable anyway on a particular individual, one is supposed to strengthen instead of stretch the relevant muscles, so the muscles will help limit disluctions and dislocations.

What I propose to do instead of a general warm-up and short stretches is to selectively warm-up the muscles (posas, obliques or gluts) I wish to stretch in a given session, then do long stretches on those muscles. My idea is that warming up a muscle mostly warms up the contractile portion of that muscle, and to some extant tissues that are near it. I presume it is better not to stretch other nearby muscles, because corresponding ligaments and joint capsules may have been warmed-up by proximity to the contractile portions of the muscles one has warmed up.

I hope this procedure will make it safer to do the long time stretches needed to create sufficient change.

Does this make sense?

doubletoe
06-16-2009, 07:20 PM
I have a fantastic PT and she says (and I've seen this expounded in reputable sources online as well) that it is important to both strengthen AND stretch tight muscles. I first went to her for a chronically tight left hamstring and was shocked when she had me do strengthening exercises for it in addition to stretching it. I can now do a full split with the left leg in front, so I have decided she was right.

Skate@Delaware
06-17-2009, 08:44 AM
When I warm up for exercising, I usually do a quick short run through of some of the exercises that work the major muscle groups. The smaller muscles tend to assist (which will warm them up as well) in stabilization.

I might do the following for a warmup:
-squats
-lunges
-rows
then I hit into my workout (which is advanced, I'm listing a short version):
-plyo work-explodes off of one leg
-single leg squats
-lunges
-chest press
-biceps/triceps work
Ab/core work:
-pikes, oblique leg raises
lower body floor work:
-hamstring curls (works both the hamstrings & glutes)
-leg abductions (sometimes from a side plank position)

As you can see, most of my work is on the lower part of the body (legs) and consequently I do hit my core with them. I try to work the major muscles with some secondary mixed in; the smaller muscles are worked as well since they tend to have a stabilization/assisting role for most of the larger muscles.

When I stretch, I do some yoga and general stretching. My issues are very tight hamstrings & calves (common with skaters). I also am working on my psoas muscle with had been weak so I do the ab work then some stretching for relief. This has greatly helped my back.

As Doubletoe suggested, strengthening will create flexibility as well, you can't have one without the other. Although some people do reach a point where they lose flexibility with increased strength, I don't believe ANY one in this sport has done that.

Your issues seem to be tight hamstrings, lack of turn-out, and decreased spinal flexion/extension. Working on your core and hamstrings in addition to all the other major groups will help you gain what you are seeking.

You could add the following to your routine:
-planks, full & side
-standing lunges, progressing as your balance & strength increase to walking lunges
-squats, begin with wall squats using a therapy ball, progressing to squats with dumbells
-step-ups; step up onto a small platform, step, etc, making sure you are using the leg that is on the step to propel you (this will work your glutes)
-bridges; lay on the floor, knees bent, feet flat on the floor; raise up your pelvis and hold for 15-30 seconds. This is great for your core.

Query
06-17-2009, 11:47 AM
I might do the following for a warmup...

Your issues seem to be tight hamstrings...

It isn't just what exercises you do. The body has a complex and redundant muscle structure. Most motions of the human body, including pretty much all the ones you mention, can be done by using many different combinations of muscles. Individuals develop habitual patterns of which particular muscles they use, and how much. We are mostly unaware which muscles we use, and are in fact incapable of feeling the use of most of the deeper muscles. It is quite possible not to use some of the most important muscle groups, like psoas, obliques and gluts, pretty much no matter what exercises you do, by using quads and/or hamstrings instead. Such a pattern was causing me knee pain, because the kneecap was being pulled off center by unbalanced muscle use, was effecting my ability to balance and center myself, and was probably making it impossible to stretch the muscles that were staying cold. In the long run it could have caused arthritus.

I feel no tension in hamstrings when I stretch, so they probably aren't a limiting factor.

The PT/PTC told me I should strengthen everything to improve athletic performance - but also should work on consciously engaging the muscles I wasn't using.

None of this relates to my question. Is it safe and practical to do a selective warm-up to prepare specific muscles for stretching but not the other muscles, ligamants and joint capsules that doing a general warm-up would also prepare to stretch?

All the time I have spent trying to stretch in ignorance has made certain ligaments and joint capsules more flexible than average (e.g., fetal positions and yoga child pose aren't even stretches, I can do a stag [bent knee] split, though I can't touch my toes or get straight legs apart as much as average), though he told me none were dangerously so yet. So limiting what I stretch makes sense.

doubletoe
06-17-2009, 12:38 PM
None of this relates to my question. Is it safe and practical to do a selective warm-up to prepare specific muscles for stretching but not the other muscles, ligamants and joint capsules that doing a general warm-up would also prepare to stretch?

All the time I have spent trying to stretch in ignorance has made certain ligaments and joint capsules more flexible than average (e.g., fetal positions and yoga child pose aren't even stretches, I can do a stag [bent knee] split, though I can't touch my toes or get straight legs apart as much as average), though he told me none were dangerously so yet. So limiting what I stretch makes sense.

I don't think it's a problem to have some muscles more flexible than average. As a skater, that should be expected. I still don't understand why you are so concerned about doing just a selective warmup instead of an overall warmup, but that sounds like a question for your physical therapist.

Which muscles did your PT say were too tight? If you can't touch your toes, then you probably have tight hamstrings and a very tight lower back. (Although you say you don't feel limited by your hamstrings, the fact that you can do a stag split position means you have flexible hip flexors and would be able to do a full split if you weren't limited by your hamstrings). If the main issue is a tight lower back, then those are core muscles that will get warmed up by any exercise that engages the legs--especially those that engage the hamstrings. You might consider doing abdominal exercises as well, not just to warm up your core muscles but to strengthen them and balance them out with the tight lower back.

Skate@Delaware
06-17-2009, 12:55 PM
I feel no tension in hamstrings when I stretch, so they probably aren't a limiting factor.

The PT/PTC told me I should strengthen everything to improve athletic performance - but also should work on consciously engaging the muscles I wasn't using.

It would be safe for you to stretch specific muscles; would it be practical? probably not. If you want to strengthen/engage your glutes, then you need the assistance of your PT and you need to ask for specific exercises, in turn with strength comes flexibility (it might be a protective measure, as one muscle becomes under-developed other muscles step in to inhibit movement to prevent injury).

Focus more on:
-not sitting throughout the day (take more breaks), stretch out your lower back & hamstrings many times per day
-obtain exercises to specifically engage your glutes & psoas, because of the potential for lower back injury, you should seek the help of your PT for this (improperly done you can strain your lower back)
-stretching your obliques isn't really much of an issue since they are much shorter and don't really inhibit flexion or extension if they are tight
-listen to your PT, since overall strength relates more than I think you realize; he/she can help develop an appropriate training plan for you (you want one that starts basic and progresses as you improve)
-don't forget to stretch your calves, as that will inhibit your ability to touch your toes-skaters have extremely tight calves (must be the heels LOL).

Child pose is a very effective stretch if it's done correctly, if you don't feel any stretch then you should seek assistance from a yogi for positioning advice-you could possibly injure yourself if you are not doing the poses correctly.

Over time, doing the exercises (not specifically stretching) will increase your flexibility. Case in point: when I started PT after my back surgery, I could not touch my knees, let alone my toes (from bending forward). After 3 months of therapy, I can touch the floor. This is without any stretching whatsoever. If I had added stretching, I'd be more flexible.

doubletoe
06-17-2009, 12:58 PM
Case in point: when I started PT after my back surgery, I could not touch my knees, let alone my toes (from bending forward). After 3 months of therapy, I can touch the floor. This is without any stretching whatsoever. If I had added stretching, I'd be more flexible.

:bow::bow:

Query
06-18-2009, 12:55 PM
Virtually everything I have found on stretching says one should do a general warm-up before stretching. So maybe I should stay with the consensus. After all, he did say nothing was too flexible to be safe yet.

I understand strength is a good thing, and it was my primary goal.

Anyway, thanks.

doubletoe
06-18-2009, 04:59 PM
Virtually everything I have found on stretching says one should do a general warm-up before stretching. So maybe I should stay with the consensus. After all, he did say nothing was too flexible to be safe yet.

I understand strength is a good thing, and it was my primary goal.

Anyway, thanks.

I think the warmup is mainly to raise the body temperature, so it would make sense that you'd want to use the biggest muscles in the body (core, glutes, quads & hamstrings), and the more of them the better.

Stormy
06-19-2009, 07:29 AM
About how long per day should you stretch to gain flexibility? I've been stretching but not consistently and now that there's a workout DVD I do daily (Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred), I've been stretching afterwards. I'm not looking to become Caroline Zhang, but I really want to be able to do good Y spirals and get the splits, maybe even side splits. How much time per day is good?

rsk8d
06-19-2009, 10:02 AM
Answer to quote:"About how long per day should you stretch to gain flexibility? I've been stretching but not consistently and now that there's a workout DVD I do daily (Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred), I've been stretching afterwards. I'm not looking to become Caroline Zhang, but I really want to be able to do good Y spirals and get the splits, maybe even side splits. How much time per day is good? "

Ideally a 1/2hour or so, but how many of us actually have time to do that?! Best is when you're watching tv, as you would be sitting on the couch anyway :). If you have limited time, stretch the muscles that you have found to be tight first. For spirals, work on the adductors (inner thigh, split stretch), hamstrings, and psoas (front of hip). If doing static stretches, hold each at least 30 seconds and repeat 3-4 times. Anything less doesn't change the elasticity of the muscle. There are also some more dynamic stretches for these muscles that are hard to describe in a post. Dynamic movement will make a quicker change in flexibility, as it increases the tissue temperature and increases blood flow to the muscle.

Stormy
06-19-2009, 10:07 AM
Answer to quote:"About how long per day should you stretch to gain flexibility? I've been stretching but not consistently and now that there's a workout DVD I do daily (Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred), I've been stretching afterwards. I'm not looking to become Caroline Zhang, but I really want to be able to do good Y spirals and get the splits, maybe even side splits. How much time per day is good? "

Ideally a 1/2hour or so, but how many of us actually have time to do that?! Best is when you're watching tv, as you would be sitting on the couch anyway :). If you have limited time, stretch the muscles that you have found to be tight first. For spirals, work on the adductors (inner thigh, split stretch), hamstrings, and psoas (front of hip). If doing static stretches, hold each at least 30 seconds and repeat 3-4 times. Anything less doesn't change the elasticity of the muscle. There are also some more dynamic stretches for these muscles that are hard to describe in a post. Dynamic movement will make a quicker change in flexibility, as it increases the tissue temperature and increases blood flow to the muscle.

Any links to sites that have pictures of the best ones I should be doing, especially those dynamic ones? Thank you!! :)