View Full Version : Back flexibility still missing....

Black Sheep
06-16-2009, 09:20 AM
Nine weeks after sciatica put me off the ice, I am now back to normal skating practices and run-throughs of my programs (including a new "Character" Interp!). One thing is still missing, though: The back flexibility that let me do a catch-foot layback:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1408869&op=1&o=global&view=global&subj=1094391011&id=731954880

Truth is, I'd been working hard for over a year to get the flexibility I needed to get a Biellmann spin. My entire life I'd been led to believe since I wasn't "born" flexible, I'd never be able to pull off anything like this. A year ago, I decided I'd had enough of that hogwash. I bought a "maxiflex" stretcher band, and it became my new best friend. I also did stretching exercises for my shoulder muscles, which had always been ridiculously tight, but were now finally loose enough to let me do a standing backbend. I also worked on pulling my leg up over my head, and trying to reach it with my opposite hand (both sides!).

Two months ago, that was when the backache that wouldn't go away became sciatica. I guess that overtraining caused it. People say that (at 38) I'm too old to stretch to be that flexible, but I just don't buy it. Since I wasn't "born" with it, I gotta work hard to get it!

SkaterBird
06-16-2009, 10:52 AM
You always amaze me with your determination and your commitment - no wonder you can do such high-level elements when you skate! :bow::bow: I have NO doubt that you will regain all of your hard-earned flexibility and then even more. And if any thirtysomething skater can get a Bielmann spin it will be you!
Mimi

Skate@Delaware
06-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Two months ago, that was when the backache that wouldn't go away became sciatica. I guess that overtraining caused it. People say that (at 38) I'm too old to stretch to be that flexible, but I just don't buy it. Since I wasn't "born" with it, I gotta work hard to get it!

I don't buy that either! We just have to work harder at gaining flexibility than the younger crowd. I am thinking that your muscles are still in a compensatory/protective mode and that is why you are still stiff (been there still working through that issue).

If you can, seek a massage therapist for specific treatment, a chiropractor for some correction, and do some yoga to stretch out your back and get everything quieted down. I would NOT give up!

doubletoe
06-16-2009, 12:45 PM
I hear you, Black Sheep! Unfortunately, my back went out on me over 2 months ago and I'm still doing physical therapy trying to get it back to normal again. I do know that catch foot spirals strain my back on the side of the leg I'm grabbing, so I have to make sure I don't do too many of them. I also find that my back responds much better if I practice them equally on both sides (even if I only do it in my program on one side).

Having said that, I am in awe that you were able to develop that level of back flexibility. I managed to develop hamstring, hip and hip flexor flexibility for the first time in my 40's, but no amount of stretching seemed to work to improve my back bend, and it actually strained by back.
Since backward bending involves actual bones (the spine) and not just muscles and ligaments, it isn't surprising that it is more difficult to develop spinal flexibility for the first time in your 30's or 40's. Here's an interesting website I just found:
http://www.agingspinecenter.com/featured_articles/FA_spine_grow_older.asp

Skate@Delaware
06-16-2009, 12:56 PM
I hear you, Black Sheep! Unfortunately, my back went out on me over 2 months ago and I'm still doing physical therapy trying to get it back to normal again. I do know that catch foot spirals strain my back on the side of the leg I'm grabbing, so I have to make sure I don't do too many of them. I also find that my back responds much better if I practice them equally on both sides (even if I only do it in my program on one side).

are you also stretching out the psoas muscle? My physical therapist had me add that and it seemed to help (it didn't hurt anyway).

doubletoe
06-16-2009, 01:29 PM
are you also stretching out the psoas muscle? My physical therapist had me add that and it seemed to help (it didn't hurt anyway).

I wasn't sure, so I just did a search for psoas stretches and the pictures of the advanced psoas stretches look just like the hip flexor stretches I always do. I know for sure that my back bend would be even worse without the hip flexor and psoas flexibility, though! My hip flexor and psoas are now flexible enough that I can sit in a full forward split in either direction for over 30 seconds.

Verena
06-17-2009, 06:38 AM
Dear Black Sheep,

I really admire your determination! Please, don't give up on gaining back flexibility enough to do a bielman spin. You are definitely young enough to attain this goal with systematic training.
However, my experience from impatient and (non-systematic) stretching has taught me that if you pull something then it may not heal without professional help. I was stuck for two years with such a pull that would come and go all the time, until I had two months of physiotherapy that solved the problem..

RachelSk8er
06-17-2009, 07:15 AM
Have you tried yoga at all? I lost A LOT of flexibility over the past year when I started law school and could no longer do my 2x/week yoga classes (I've never been flexible to begin with but at least I was starting to get to where I could do a catch foot on my camel and my layback was somewhat decent). I started back again for summer and after just 3 weeks I already notice a little bit of a difference.

My yoga instructor told me about some yoga podcasts that you can download for free and do anywhere as long as you can follow the audio and don't need a video (you can also look up poses ahead of time). I'm going to stick to those once school starts again so I don't have to take a step back like last year.

Skittl1321
06-17-2009, 08:41 AM
Can you tell us what those podcasts are?

I really enjoyed yoga when I was doing it (but prefer pilates)... but now I can't do either classes. I find that I can't do pilates well at home (I cheat and use the wrong muscles) but that I still get a good stretch with yoga. But every yoga DVD I've found has been painfully boring. A podcast sounds like the way to go.

RachelSk8er
06-18-2009, 07:16 AM
Can you tell us what those podcasts are?

I really enjoyed yoga when I was doing it (but prefer pilates)... but now I can't do either classes. I find that I can't do pilates well at home (I cheat and use the wrong muscles) but that I still get a good stretch with yoga. But every yoga DVD I've found has been painfully boring. A podcast sounds like the way to go.

I imagine you can search iTunes. I have yet to search for them, been too busy with skating and all my other summer activities to worry about yoga more than 2x/week.

Black Sheep
06-18-2009, 08:38 AM
I used to do yoga once a week--about ten years ago. I've been wanting to get back into it (on and off) since then.

sk8joyful
06-19-2009, 05:38 AM
a catch-foot layback:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1408869&op=1&o=global&view=global&subj=1094391011&id=731954880

A year ago, I bought a "maxiflex" stretcher band, and it became my new best friend.
I also did stretching exercises for my shoulder muscles, which had always been ridiculously tight, but
were now finally loose enough to let me do a standing backbend.
I also worked on pulling my leg up over my head, and trying to reach it with my opposite hand (both sides!).

Two months ago, that was when the backache that wouldn't go away, became sciatica.
I guess that overtraining caused it.
People say that (at 38) I'm too old to stretch to be that flexible, but I just don't buy it. Since I wasn't "born" with it, I gotta work hard to get it!

excellent!, Thanks for adding this Inspiration!! :D

I'm over 57, and 2 weeks ago (btw, I worked this year, again in the public schools, with medically-impaired kids). and
one of my students, I got her to "graduate" from Services, meaning she got trach-extubated, yeah!!)
Anyway, we were having this class-celebration for her, and the day before, one of her friends said: "Lookie, I can do the SPLITS now!!" promptly demonstrating one in the hallway, where the 6 of us clapped...
so
true to form, being the kid i am, I encouraged: "ok, now sit right down here
(with myself demonstrating... yes in the same hallway, lol) and put your foot behind your head, like this..."
do you know that only 2 outa the 7 of us (ages 12-57), able did this.
The other kid, is a Ballet student.
I'm telling you, if you're (at 38) doing Biehlman's..., then so should the rest of us, right! ;)

Black Sheep
06-19-2009, 06:13 PM
I need to save my back-flexibility stretches for after skating, when my muscles are warmed up enough, rather than cram them all in my off-ice warm-up (when my muscles are still "cold"). ;)

rsk8d
06-19-2009, 08:45 PM
Yes, do your static stretches after skating as a cool down, and do a dynamic stretch warmup before skating.

You can stretch your back muscles until you're blue in the face and still may not be able to do a biellman, due to a lack of hip mobility and flexibility. Hip flexor flexibility is the key, and even improving that may not get you to the point of doing a biellman if the joint capsule is too restricted. Don't force a movement, or you will develop (as in your case) sciatica or low back pain. Your hip doesn't move, so you try to force movement from the spine, which causes pain.

I stopped doing laybacks when I was 19, as I developed back pain every time I did them. Since then, my back (knock on wood) has been healthy. Know your own limitations to keep yourself in good shape. You don't want back pain when you're 50 or 60.

sk8joyful
06-19-2009, 08:54 PM
Truth is, I'd been working hard for over a year to get the flexibility I needed to get a Biellmann spin.

My entire life I'd been led, to believe since I wasn't "born" flexible, I'd never be able to pull off anything like this.

People say that (at 38) I'm too old to stretch to be that flexible, but I just don't buy it.
Since I wasn't "born" with it, I gotta work hard to get it!

dear, when you said that you were led... to believe you were, not "born flexible" 8O enuf, for the Bielmann, or anything else for that matter. - How wonderful! that you question, as I do quite often, what people allow themself to belief & think, as far as how by God we were originally designed & created.

Consider: as a preborn, we -each of us- found ourself in this tightening balloon, squished-together, with our head-&-back-&-legs all curved tightly, such that after birth we were able to contort ourselves into all kinds of positions. - And that slowed, after we no longer practiced... being in these, & any other positions.

What a huge difference it can make, when we positively re-frame some, or even more beliefs, into more positive-empowering & constructive beliefs, you are actually proving... now. - So once again, my hat's off to you! :) Congratulations!! :D

sk8joyful
06-19-2009, 09:11 PM
Has anybody ever watched this 25 yr. young Spencer, with 84 yr. young :) Barbara: http://share.youthwant.com.tw/flvplayer/shareplayer.swf?m=33001858

She either overcame her "flexability" challenges, or she never allowed them to develop, in the 1st. place. What do you think? ;)

Elly86
06-19-2009, 09:42 PM

May I ask what your backache felt like? I'm experiencing pain in my lower back now and it makes it so difficult to skate. Not sure what caused it and they can't figure out what's wrong.

Good for you for working towards your flexibility. You seem very determined, which is awesome! Good luck!:)

Swizzler
06-19-2009, 11:08 PM
Sk8joyful, is that video for real? Never mind the 85 year old contortionist, what the heck was Coldplay doing playing backup for her?? :??:??

sk8joyful
06-20-2009, 12:12 AM
Sk8joyful, is that video for real?
Never mind the 85 year old contortionist,
what the heck was Coldplay doing playing backup for her?? :??:??

not sure what you meant by "is that video for real" - that's
the 2nd. version of it, that I've seen floating 'round on the www.
In the 1st. version, the language was English, not oriental.
and "coldplay" (a band) ? - i don't know about that either.
but
this Barbara-lady does show/demonstrate, in no uncertain terms:
when you choose to Believe...in positive-LIFE-abundance...what all more is possible..., and GO! for it, eh? ;) <- this is the emphasis, I think.

What do you think? :)

Black Sheep
06-20-2009, 01:03 PM
You can stretch your back muscles until you're blue in the face and still may not be able to do a biellman, due to a lack of hip mobility and flexibility. Hip flexor flexibility is the key, and even improving that may not get you to the point of doing a biellman if the joint capsule is too restricted. Don't force a movement, or you will develop (as in your case) sciatica or low back pain. Your hip doesn't move, so you try to force movement from the spine, which causes pain.

Exactly. That's why I do splits on the floor and shoulder stretches as well. ;)