View Full Version : ice dance CD tempos--faster than should be??

phoenix
06-15-2009, 12:37 PM
I need someone to verify this for me to be sure I'm right....

I am looking for alternative music to the crappy USFS/ISU CD music, as my students (and sometimes me!) are sick of those songs.

I thought that "Gotta Be Somebody" by Nickleback sounded close to the right timing for the Paso, so I timed it using a little stopwatch software on my computer. I counted it at 120 beats per minute; rulebook says Paso is 112. So it's too fast. But then I played my Paso music & counted that & it came up exactly 120 also!!

So I'm wondering....in allllll the years that music has been used, and with it being morphed from tapes to CDs to ipods, I wonder if anyone was monitering it to be sure the tempo was still correct?

Is it possible that it's shifted through the years, and we are now skating to a faster tempo than we should have to?

I didn't check any other pieces but if someone is interested in checking this on their own to see if I'm right, maybe I'll look into it more. I'd LOVE it if some of that music was really supposed to be a little slower!!

Or is it just that I can't count......??

Clarice
06-15-2009, 01:06 PM
I don't have my dance CDs at the moment, because we used them for a competition over the weekend and I haven't retrieved them yet. But when I do, I'll check a few tracks against a metronome.

mdvask8r
06-15-2009, 04:54 PM
It is also possible that the machine you are using is running fast.

icedancer2
06-15-2009, 05:43 PM
I think some machines will run faster or slower than the correct tempo. It is probably up to individuals in different areas to make sure that the music they are using is correct or that the machine is running them at the right tempo. I know in our area there is one individual who keeps a check on the CDs we use at the social sessions but as far as my individual copies of the CDs - who knows? Maybe that's why the Paso, Killian and Starlight always seem so screamin' fast.

phoenix
06-15-2009, 09:23 PM
Well, I'm using an ipod, so that shouldn't shift at all. However it was imported from a CD, so who knows??

icedancer2
06-15-2009, 09:26 PM
Well, I'm using an ipod, so that shouldn't shift at all. However it was imported from a CD, so who knows??

My thoughts exactly.