View Full Version : Gliding Question

thedead
06-14-2009, 12:22 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am just starting to play hockey... and I was wondering when I want to glide am I better off gliding on edges, or should I try and keep my blade flat on the ice?

Thank!

phoenix
06-14-2009, 01:55 PM
It depends on what you're trying to do--gliding on an edge will take you in a curve to the left or right; on a flat will take you straight ahead.

CoachPA
06-14-2009, 02:33 PM
Phoenix is correct.

Don't forget, too, that when you push to glide forward, you will get the most from your pushes if you push off your inside edges. Still, whatever edge you glide on (or if you glide on a flat) determines the direction of your glide. Edges curve and a flat will take you straight.

On crossovers, however, you should think of pushing with your inside edge on the first stroke and your outside edge on the second push [under].

sk8joyful
06-19-2009, 04:23 AM
Phoenix is correct.

Don't forget, too, that when you push to glide forward, you will get the most from your pushes if you push off your inside edges. Still, whatever edge you glide on (or if you glide on a flat) determines the direction of your glide. Edges curve and a flat will take you straight.

Yesterday I glided 50-70 ft. on my R-ft; but still only 25-30 ft. on my Left.

Then again, other days it is the opposite, which I guess evens ;) out the abilities.
Somedays I can manage to hold my free-blade, for a few seconds, which I hope eventually develops into a f-Biehlman :D

On crossovers, however, you should think of pushing with your inside edge on the first stroke, and your outside edge on the second push [under].

Are you sure? :)

When I practice my FXO's, I start on myR. OUTside-edge (prefer CW), followed by transferring my weight to my Left INside-edge. - right? ;)

Kat12
06-19-2009, 06:19 AM
^I think Coach is referring to pushing with your INside edge while skating on an OUTside edge,, then pushing with the OUTside edge while skating on the INside edge...

CoachPA
06-19-2009, 08:17 AM
You got it, Kat. Guess I could have clarified that a bit more.