View Full Version : where to skate around Mountain View California

xgskate
06-13-2009, 12:27 AM
Moving to California. Never lived there before. Any suggestions as to which ice rinks to skate and where to find freestyle coaches nearby. Would really appreciate your help.:bow:

kander
06-13-2009, 02:50 AM
There are lots of rinks around. The closest one to Mountain View would probably be Vallco, which has the worst skating surface. Not too much further up the road in San Jose is the Logitec Ice Arena. It's a 4 sheet facility. Very nice. In the other direction there is the Ice Oasis in Redwoood city. If you want to take lessons then San Jose or Redwood City are your best choices. Charlie Tickner coaches at RC.

xgskate
06-13-2009, 10:36 AM
Thank you for your information. :bow:
May I know which club is Charlie Tickner associated with or how I could get more information about him? Thank you!

xgskate
06-13-2009, 06:33 PM
Forgot. I'd also like to get information on where to sharpen figure skates near Moutain View, CA. Any personal preferences here. Thank you! :bow:

kander
06-14-2009, 02:11 AM
Thank you for your information. :bow:
May I know which club is Charlie Tickner associated with or how I could get more information about him? Thank you!

I'm not sure if he's affiliated with any club. If you want to meet him all you have to do is show up anytime at RC between 7 am and 11:30 am monday, wednesday, or thursday. What information would you like about him? I might be able to answer. FYI he was a world champion and Olympic bronze medalist. He's a very good technical coach.

kander
06-14-2009, 02:15 AM
Forgot. I'd also like to get information on where to sharpen figure skates near Moutain View, CA. Any personal preferences here. Thank you! :bow:

There are only three places in the bay area. One is SP Teri in South San Francisco. One is "The Inside Edge" skate shop in the Redwood city rink. The third one is some guy over at the Freemont rink that I've never personally used. IMO Sp Teri does the best job.

xgskate
06-14-2009, 02:42 AM
Kander,
Thank you very much for your kind answers. I guess this is enough to get me started with skating after I move there next weekend and settle down hopefully really soon.

I really appreciate your help! :bow:

Blosmbubbs
06-14-2009, 10:58 PM
I skate in San Jose, what level are you skating? Are you an adult or kid? Welcome to the Bay Area. :)

xgskate
06-15-2009, 01:24 AM
Blosmbubbs,

I am adult. Had private coach for like 8 months. All single jumps except Axel. Power pulls. Some twizzles. Not sure what my level is. I mostly spend time working on fun things than climbing the ladders. Thank you for your welcome. I think I will skate at both San Jose and redwood. It will be fun.

Thin-Ice
06-15-2009, 02:31 AM
There are several rinks in the Bay area... Kander's assessment of the rinks he mentioned are good and there is also a good rink in Fremont, which is about the same distance as Logitech (in San Jose) from Mountain View.

There are several good coaches at all the rinks Kander mentioned. I would suggest seeing which rink(s) you like best and have times that work with your schedule, then going and watching a couple of times at each rink, and seeing which coaches have a style you think would work well with your learning style.

We are lucky to have a fairly large adult skating contingent, and we're a pretty friendly group as a whole. So if you don't see the coach of your choice working with an adult, you could introduce yourself to nearly any of the adults you would see at a session and ask them about the coach you're interested in.. and chances are pretty good you'll get a fair assessment of the strengths and challenges of working with any of them. With any luck, the skater(s) asked will volunteer to introduce you to the coach you mention. But if that doesn't happen, the easiest way to hook up with any of the coaches locally is just to approach them after a session when they are getting off the ice, putting on/taking off their skates-- but make sure they aren't still talking to a student about something lesson-related.

Good luck I hope to meet you on the ice one of these days.

caffn8me
06-15-2009, 02:00 PM
Thanks everyone for all the information. I stay in San Antonio from time to time so will bring my skates next time :) Are any of the Bay Area rinks within walking distance of a Caltrain stop?

Sarah

kander
06-16-2009, 01:08 AM
Thanks everyone for all the information. I stay in San Antonio from time to time so will bring my skates next time :) Are any of the Bay Area rinks within walking distance of a Caltrain stop?

Sarah
I'm not too familiar with public transportation around here, but I would guess the closest rink to a Caltrain stop would be Yerba Buena in San Fransisco? I think the rink in Oakland might be near a BART station. That isn't the safest area.

TreSk8sAZ
06-16-2009, 01:46 AM
I'm not too familiar with public transportation around here, but I would guess the closest rink to a Caltrain stop would be Yerba Buena in San Fransisco? I think the rink in Oakland might be near a BART station. That isn't the safest area.

The BART station is about 1/2 block away from the Oakland rink, but it is not a safe area, especially at night.

Thin-Ice
06-16-2009, 01:48 AM

Sarah

The Belmont rink is within walking distance of the Belmont CalTrain station... maybe 5-6 blocks.

jazzpants
06-16-2009, 10:19 PM
Yerba Buena in San Francisco is within a 5 block walk also from Caltrain. ;)

I also second what kander had mentioned. I would NOT go to Vallco. The ice is very weird, to put it nicely.. Also, going on 85S from Mtn. View is a MAJOR pain during rush hour!!!

I recommend San Jose or Ice Oasis as well. And yes, a 2nd vote for CHARLIE!!! I was having swing salchow problems that my primary coach was having fits with me on. Charlie fixed it in about 3 minutes!!! :bow: My primary coach was 8O when he saw the fix! :P

kander
06-17-2009, 12:17 AM
The Belmont rink is within walking distance of the Belmont CalTrain station... maybe 5-6 blocks.

I forgot about the Belmont station. That one is definetely in walking distance.

xgskate
06-19-2009, 01:23 AM
I am looking forward to California. But I hate moving.

xgskate
06-23-2009, 02:19 AM
May I know what is a good place to get some skating gears near San Jose?

Thin-Ice
06-23-2009, 10:05 AM
What exactly are you looking for?

xgskate
06-23-2009, 10:32 AM
I think I may get guards and trailer. I never had a trailer before. I always just hold everything in my hands when going into the rink. I just want to make it more convenient for myself. What do other adults have for skating?

Thin-Ice
06-24-2009, 01:48 AM
You can get guards at any of the rink pro shops or at the Harlick or SP-Teri shops which are both in the bay area. I'm not sure what you mean by "a trailer". Do you mean a roller-bag/suitcase on wheels?

xgskate
06-24-2009, 02:33 AM
You can get guards at any of the rink pro shops or at the Harlick or SP-Teri shops which are both in the bay area. I'm not sure what you mean by "a trailer". Do you mean a roller-bag/suitcase on wheels?

Yes. Something like a roller-bag or whatever I can put everything in. I didn't think I am that imaginative.:D

Thin-Ice
06-24-2009, 09:21 AM
Most of the adults I know just buy a small piece of luggage on wheels, although a lot of the kids have Zucabags. Those are available at the skate shops at many of the rinks and also at SP-Teri (the bootmaker) in South San Francisco.

xgskate
06-26-2009, 12:51 AM
Thank you for the information. :bow: This is great. So many rinks around here and Sp-Teri and ... Much better than I expected.

xgskate
07-01-2009, 11:00 PM
Can somebody post the figure/free schedule for Logitech arena? I couldn't find it on their website. Thank you:bow:

WeirFan06
07-02-2009, 04:03 AM
Can somebody post the figure/free schedule for Logitech arena? I couldn't find it on their website. Thank you:bow:

They have a TON of times due to the 4 ice surfaces. I haven't picked up a schedule yet for July. I'm not going to be there for like a week, but I'll post it at that time unless someone gets to it first. They also have separate ice dance times. Are you an ice dancer?? Though it used to sort of be Sergei's ice and he had to "approve" you first before you could skate :roll:. I'm not sure if it's still like that. But I can tell you the ice dance times too, if you need them. But again, I won't be there till next week.

Wherever you end up skating primarily, the adult skating community in this area is great overall. You'll have fun!

xgskate
07-03-2009, 02:04 AM
WeirFan06,
Thank you! I am not an ice dancer. It's good to know that they have a lot of ice time.

Blosmbubbs
07-04-2009, 01:03 AM
The Logitech rink is now called "Sharks Ice at San Jose" IMO most of our Adult skaters here are Ice Dancers. If you would like to go that route we have many Adults that test and do dance in San Jose. For Freestyle I would recommend Charlie Tickner at Redwood City.

Blosmbubbs
07-04-2009, 01:05 AM
No, Sergei doesn't have that ice anymore (he doesnt have to approve it) You sign up and pay as you would for freestyle. You only get the discounted price if you sign up ahead of time. There are no switching time slots either.

xgskate
07-19-2009, 10:45 PM
What are the open hours for SP Teri at SF?
I googled and got that it is closed on Thu, Fri and open on Sat, Sun 8-5. I went there this afternoon and it was closed. Anybody know the hours?

Thin-Ice
07-20-2009, 07:36 PM
What are the open hours for SP Teri at SF?
I googled and got that it is closed on Thu, Fri and open on Sat, Sun 8-5. I went there this afternoon and it was closed. Anybody know the hours?

I would suggest giving them a call. I've never known the shop to be open on Sundays. By the way, they're in South San Francisco, not San Francisco... different city, in case you decide to call 411 to get the number.. although I'm sure it's also on the company website.

xgskate
07-23-2009, 11:26 AM
Thank you!

8-5 weekdays
Saturday appointment only
I just wanted to go take a look and have nothing specific to do. I guess I shouldn't bother them with an appointment on Saturday.:)

xgskate
07-30-2009, 01:03 AM
I have been skating at Ice Oasis from Thursday 16th till today every workday at the 7:45a session. It's great to be back on the ice.

Thanks to everybody for all information. I really appreciate it. :bow: