View Full Version : Rinks in Rochester NY

mskater
06-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Hi All,

So I am visiting family in Rochester for a month this summer and need a place to skate. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'd love maybe an empty public skate to mess around on and also some good freestyles (and even want to hire a temporary coach to work on my moves with). Any suggestions would be great!

RachelSk8er
06-12-2009, 07:23 AM
I lived there for a year (and in Syracuse for 2 yrs before that but was dating an RIT grad student so spent a lot of time in Roc) but haven't been back for a few years.

I'm not sure if RIT's rink (in Henrietta) is open for summer yet (I think they re-opened in early July when I was coaching there), that was my favorite place to skate in terms of the rink itself. Not cold, big window at one end with plenty of natural light, clean.

Skating Institute of Rochester is on the outskirts of downtown in Corn Hill. A tad tricky to find, you can see it from the one freeway but have to go through a residential neighborhood to find it. It's dark, old, dirty, cold, but they had daytime public sessions for like $4 that were empty other than a few adult figure skaters and we could control the music. That's usually when/where I would skate in the summer. There were always rumors circulating that the place would close, though.

There is another rink....I can picture where it is but am not sure what it's called but it has 4 ice surfaces, not too far from the Henrietta area. I never actually skated there. It was open all year though, and I'm sure they've got public sessions during the daytime.

There are other rinks in the other suburbs (Fairport, Webster's rink is pretty nice) but I had only been to them maybe once coaching at competitions and can't tell you if/when they're open in summer or anything like that.

There are a few Rah cha cha natives here who can give you more specifics.

Eat at Dinosaur BBQ!!!!!

saras
06-12-2009, 10:23 PM
Hi All,

So I am visiting family in Rochester for a month this summer and need a place to skate. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'd love maybe an empty public skate to mess around on and also some good freestyles (and even want to hire a temporary coach to work on my moves with). Any suggestions would be great!

RIT's ice opens late in June - check geneseefsc.org

SIR (my favorite rink! very well maintained ice, an older rink) will have ice from mid-July on I believe

ESL Sports Centre (eslsportscentre.com) has ice now - it's been only one surface lately but they're getting the other surfaces going again. This time of year is has loads of "ice nipples" and the bonus feature of rain from the ceiling, and the sessions are short and expensive ($13 for 45 mins after 1pm), but they don't have a shut-down period

Thomas Creek opens up again late in June - check tcice.com

PM me when you're coming and maybe we can skate together :)

Sara