View Full Version : Price for waterproofing

luckykid
06-11-2009, 04:38 AM
How much does waterproofing cost usually? By not doing it yourself. I was browsing through some online stores, and I saw on one site that it's an additional $49.99 for waterproofing. 8O Are they really that expensive? Since a bottle of sno-seal costs less than $10..

Kat12
06-11-2009, 06:26 AM
It seems to depend on what kind of waterproofing. Here are prices from Rainbo Sports' site for their waterproofing work:

Waterproofing
Regular Wax, $10.00
Deluxe Wax, $15.00 (Includes blade caulking)
Varnish, 7-10 days, $50.00 (Includes blade caulking)
Varnish (with character), $75.00 (Includes blade caulking)

I would say if your place is asking fifty bucks for WAXING, that might be a bit high!

SkatEn
06-11-2009, 10:56 AM
It seems to depend on what kind of waterproofing. Here are prices from Rainbo Sports' site for their waterproofing work:

Waterproofing
Regular Wax, $10.00
Deluxe Wax, $15.00 (Includes blade caulking)
Varnish, 7-10 days, $50.00 (Includes blade caulking)
Varnish (with character), $75.00 (Includes blade caulking)

I would say if your place is asking fifty bucks for WAXING, that might be a bit high!

Eh, sorry but what's "blade caulking"? I kept seeing that around but I don't know what that is.

luckykid, around here in SG back when the other rink was open, it cost about SGD50 to waterproof and mount. A coach here offered to do varnish or wax for SGD15. Go do the conversion.

I think waterproofing is very important, so don't screw that up!

BTW, why can't they produce soles that are all composite? Like EDEA and Risport RF2Carbon? Can save skaters some $$ and hair-pulling...

Yui
06-11-2009, 11:02 AM
What do you mean by the sole thing. Anyway all the skates at my rink come waterproof so you dont have to worry. :)

SkatEn
06-11-2009, 11:17 AM
What do you mean by the sole thing. Anyway all the skates at my rink come waterproof so you dont have to worry. :)

For most boots, they do not come waterproofed. Waterproofing is very important so as to prolong the life of the boot.

If I'm not wrong luckykid is having her father who is going to the US to get it for her, so she needs these information. =)

doubletoe
06-11-2009, 02:55 PM
I would personally advise against getting your boots varnished. The varnish dries into a hard coating that eventually cracks (kind of like nail polish) and moisture gets into the cracks and rots the leather. My pro shop varnished mine for free when I got them, and once the cracking/water-logging started, I had to sand off all of the varnish and re-waterproof them with Sno-Seal, which actually penetrates the leather sole and heel to keep moisture out. I Sno-Seal my boots 2-3 times per year and it doesn't take very long to do. I will never get them varnished again!

techskater
06-11-2009, 07:10 PM
I have to agree with doubletoe here - I had a heel snap (about at the middle layer) on my last pair of boots due to varnishing. I had to drill from the inside down to keep my heel together. My skate shop advised against varnishing again due to that.

luckykid
06-11-2009, 08:26 PM
If I'm not wrong luckykid is having her father who is going to the US to get it for her, so she needs these information. =)
You're not wrong lol

So just regular waxing will be enough?

FSWer
06-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Say,does anyone know if your just the type of skater I am if you really need to waterproof? Or what is the most that can happen if you don't? BTW. do some skates that you by come already waterproof?

Clarice
06-11-2009, 09:22 PM
FSWer, I forget what kind of skates you have. Some kinds don't need to be waterproofed. What are yours again?