View Full Version : How to put a start on a two-foot Spin

FSWer
06-09-2009, 08:15 PM
Say,can anyone tell me how to put a start on a 2 foot spin or any spin? How do you make yourself spin on 2 feet,rather then just turn around? Thanks.

Skittl1321
06-09-2009, 08:31 PM
The best way for me to get started in a two foot spin is to bend my knees deeply with my feet pretty close together and parallel (like this ll ). Then I "wind up" by twisting my upper body in the direction opposite the way I want to go. Then untwist and use the momentum of your arms to help you spin around.

Be careful though- it's very easy to lose your balance and trip on your blades and fall. You want to try it very slowly and controlled, don't throw yourself into the spin.

Isk8NYC
06-09-2009, 09:11 PM
OFF-ICE:

Find an open place and hold your arms out for balance.

Now, turn around and around - use very small steps so you don't travel from your starting spot.

This will get you used to turning around fast and you don't even need to go to the rink.

ON-ICE:

Make sure you're wearing a helmet.

Move away from any walls, cones or crowds.

Put your arms up for balance.

Use small steps to "tap, tap, tap" while you turn yourself around.
(Same little steps you used off-ice.)

After you turn once, keep both feet on the ice and let yourself glide in a tiny circle.

If you keep your knees close together (and a little bent) you should be able to spin a bit.

Once you're comfortable with the tapping start, then try the way Skittl suggested. Think of swinging your arms from the right side all the way across to the left, almost like swinging a baseball bat. Then let your feet "catch up" with your shoulders and you should start to spin a little.

This is very important, so make a note: start with your knees bent, then make yourself TALL once you start spinning. That should help you keep your balance.

FSWer
06-09-2009, 09:33 PM
How would I put speed on it and end up spinning rather then turning around fast?

Clarice
06-09-2009, 09:58 PM
You make a spin faster by pulling your arms in. Big things spin more slowly and smaller things spin faster, so if you start with your arms stretched out and then pull them in (not too fast!) so that they're crossed over your chest (kind of like giving yourself a hug), your spin will speed up.

Don't try this right away, though. Start with the things the others have suggested first. You have to learn things step by step so you'll be less likely to get hurt.

Like Isk8NYC said, keep yourself tall while you're spinning. It can also help to think about keeping your stomach muscles strong. If your body is all loose and wobbly, you won't be able to keep your balance.

dance2sk8
06-09-2009, 11:06 PM
This you tube video gives you an idea of how to do a two footed spin. I am extremely visual, so this helped me when I got started.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2YZXZ2LXDI

dbny
06-09-2009, 11:18 PM
A few tips to add to what others have already said:

Think of your arms as the rotors of a helicopter. They should only go around, not up and down at all.

Suck your tummy in and hold it in tightly during the spin.

Make your fingers stiff; this will help keep tension in your arms.

sk8joyful
06-10-2009, 02:59 AM
tell me how to put a start on a 2 foot spin or any spin?
How do you make yourself spin on 2 feet, rather then just turn around? Thanks.

Great basic questions you ask, right were some of us are at. Hope you don't mind, my courage in joining in?

I've just practiced ice-spinning less than 1/2 an hour all together, doing some (to me) quirky :o things
like -
Right from the get-go, I was told I skated 2 revolutions, no less with my arm/propellers sticking straight out :roll:

Now that I've learned to draw my arms in, I haven't been able to repeat these revolutions since, I partly wonder why.
I'm fairly sure, when I skated the 1st. couple spins, I was more relaxed: imagining... & play-pretending... I was just skating them,
like in socks on the floor, there I snap easily 4-x around, at least 3-x, before a little re-orient break.
Now
instead, I am thinking... & focusing... & getting all up tight trying to Time-right what... to do when... Please tell me,
you more advanced skaters, and certainly coaches, can/do relate to this learning curve. - Sometimes, just for a second, I can manage to raise :lol: one of my feet on the spins, which prolly looks like a hoot, but we all have to start somewhere.

I have the pleasure of being friends with a dozen really kewl FS-friends, one especially is the best positive CHEERleader, & teacher :bow: one could ask for;
but of course, she's working on her own competition-skills, and can't always baby me along...

Anyway, it will be interesting sharing how you ;) FSWer are progressing... in your spins, as well as me.

Happy! Skating...

sk8joyful
06-10-2009, 03:21 AM
The best way for me to get started in a two foot spin is to ...
Be careful though- it's very easy to lose your balance. You want to try it very slowly and controlled,
don't throw yourself into the spin.

Ok, what's the defining :?: difference
between "not throwing oneself into it, but doing it controlled",
versus
"un-twisting arm/body momentum" to get into the spin, let alone keep yourself revolving... <-apparently somewhere... in this process lies success ;)

Skate@Delaware
06-10-2009, 07:34 AM
Ok, what's the defining :?: difference
between "not throwing oneself into it, but doing it controlled",
versus
"un-twisting arm/body momentum" to get into the spin, let alone keep yourself revolving... <-apparently somewhere... in this process lies success ;)
follow the tips below-they are valuable, as are the other tips given:
A few tips to add to what others have already said:

Think of your arms as the rotors of a helicopter. They should only go around, not up and down at all.

Suck your tummy in and hold it in tightly during the spin.

Make your fingers stiff; this will help keep tension in your arms.

Control-keeping your body tight and maintaining tension; don't break over at the waist BUT don't be so upright that you skate like a zombie and are not as soft in the knees as you need to be.

When I go into a 2-foot spin, I like to think of squeezing the thighs together slightly to maintain some tension there; this places me on my inside edge. My arms stay out to the side, slightly to the front like I'm holding a large tray or beach ball...when I am centered and have spun around many times, I bend my elbows and bring my hands to my chest. This speeds me up. After a few more revolutions, I push my hands down the front of my body until they are fairly straight.

I love 2-foot spins! I think they still hold merit in many programs and put them in mine.

Mrs Redboots
06-10-2009, 09:46 AM
http://home.pacbell.net/anamga/figureSkating.html#6.2.8

londonicechamp
06-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Hi

Well my coach told me to put my hands out, then after maybe 2 revolutions, then pull my hands in, as in that way, I will feel myself spinning faster, and I do feel that.

Hope that helps.

londonicechamp

Kat12
06-11-2009, 06:35 AM
Ooh, excellent. I was playing with two-foot spins this week (and mostly losing my balance and ending up on my toepicks or bum, lol) but was trying to get the wind-up with my feet already together and it just wasn't happening...and I noticed it worked better with my feet apart to start but I thought that was wrong.

Clarice
06-11-2009, 07:30 AM
Ooh, excellent. I was playing with two-foot spins this week (and mostly losing my balance and ending up on my toepicks or bum, lol) but was trying to get the wind-up with my feet already together and it just wasn't happening...and I noticed it worked better with my feet apart to start but I thought that was wrong.

That's right - start with your feet about hip width apart, with your knees bent. As you spin, you can straighten your knees and pull your feet closer together as you pull your arms in. That will make the spin go faster. Eventually, you can draw them together and pick one up for a beginning one-foot spin. Keep your weight over the ball of your foot - as you've found, you don't want to get up on the toe pick.

sk8joyful
06-11-2009, 05:13 PM
http://home.pacbell.net/anamga/figureSkating.html#6.2.8

Thanks! - this video is really helpful. :) - except for the time being, I have given-up on starting it from a Pivot,
the frustration of that, just wasn't worth it, observing closely how others can spin without one.

ok, so I get the Starting stance just fine, but then between the push-off, and getting it all together, something goes awry -

(at first, I wasn't even aware of my arms, let alone that they stuck straight out, even as I turned).

Now that I intentionally draw my arms in, I hug :lol: myself too soon, sigh. - then whilst trying to change that, my feet get mixed up. Basically I think I would really benefit having this broken-down into slo-mo steps, with someone helping me succeed :lol: at each step.

Thanks! again

sk8joyful
06-11-2009, 06:29 PM
Control-
keeping your body tight and maintaining tension; don't break over at the waist - BUT don't be so upright that you skate like a zombie and are not as soft in the knees as you need to be.

Yeah well, as far as POSTURE & Upperbody control, that's been my biggest challenge.

when I still had a coach, she said: "Let's start on spins next" - as I wondered 'What on earth for?' (as it's Jumping... yeah, all over the place :lol: that I entertain in my dreams, day as well as night.

Then increasingly lately, it's come to my attention, that one of her goals for me was "First, straighteningUP my (bad) posture" - hm,
maybe we need a new thread just on posture, correctly... Thanks!

sk8joyful
06-12-2009, 01:07 AM
ON-ICE:
Make sure you're wearing a helmet.

This is very important, so make a note:
start with your knees bent, then make yourself TALL once you start spinning.
That should help you keep your balance.

re "helmet": When first starting, I wore no artificial safeguards.
Two classes later, a coach agreed to help me out for a while.
As I started skating backwards, she had me wear a helmet!
In no time flat, I was decked-out from head-to-toe; so
to hide my embarassment, I wore a long-sleeved sweater, and jeans.
Alas, I became totally-dependent on all that gear; but
wprse, I no longer felt like a skater, instead
I felt like an ancient handicapped! mummified :roll: mummy :giveup:

Well one fine day, I had had enough!!! of alla that; so
I bought me a cute :D Rainbow soft-pastelle colored skating-dress; which
beyond helping me FEEL like a skater, additionally
(no longer wearing bulky knee-pads)
I feel more freed, practicing my fxo's with increasing confidence...

This all said, just to ask: for spinning, am I to wear that helmet once more??

londonicechamp
06-12-2009, 06:34 AM
Hi

Yes, the suggestion of Clarice is correct. :D

You do spin with your two feet apart, but then as you spin, your feet should be closer together; as if you have them far apart, that is probably going to stop you from spinning.

Hope this helps.

londonicechamp

BatikatII
06-12-2009, 08:06 AM
This all said, just to ask: for spinning, am I to wear that helmet once more??

I find it hard to skate properly if I forget to take my wristwatch off, so how anyone skates in helmets , and multiple pads I don't know. Of course I have skated in all sorts of weird costumes in ice pantos so probably just a case of what you are used to.

I personally wouldn't but it depends on how likely you feel you are to fall over and how likely you feel you are to bang your head if you do.

It's a risk assessment everyone has to do for themselves. For me I think I'd be more likely to fall over if I'd ever worn one and preferred learning to fall correctly. If you have long hair a good alternative is to put it up in a bun which offers some protection should you fall.

Isk8NYC
06-12-2009, 08:25 AM
This all said, just to ask: for spinning, am I to wear that helmet once more??I was speaking directly to FSWer, who is still a beginning skater and as such should wear a helmet, especially when learning to spin. When beginning spinners lean backwards, forwards, or sideways, they sometimes fall.

As FSWer is an adult, that fall could really hurt if he was caught off-guard. Muscle control and balance are issues for him.

I love my tap-tap-tap-gliiiiide! intro to spinning, especially the off-ice practices. I use it for all the Snowplow and Basic 1/2 classes. It really helps to overcome the initial dizziness, encourages proper posture, and almost everyone can do it from the first or second try. Plus, the kiddies like to brag "I learned to spin!"

I still teach the "swing and catch up" starting with Basic 2/3.
I add the half-swizzle pump throughout Basic 5/6/7, in preparation for the "pickup" spin in Basic 8.

FSWer
06-12-2009, 09:24 AM
Ok. How should I have my feet and blades? Should I be using my toe-picks?

Mrs Redboots
06-12-2009, 11:03 AM
I find it hard to skate properly if I forget to take my wristwatch off, so how anyone skates in helmets , and multiple pads I don't know.Says the lady who has skated in a penguin costume with cushions up her front....

Yui
06-12-2009, 11:52 AM
WOW At my rink. Hats or anything that goes on the head is not allowed. so we gotta live with it. im fine but i need help with my spins too. i can do 2 revs then it stops. i need to do 3 revs but i find it hard. we have to lift our foot halfay through and then glide on an outside back egde at the end. im doing 3 jumps and spirals. i am so happy. skatted in my figure skates 5-6 times and they are really cool. gotta get used to them as im having trouble with toepicks as im not used to them. but thanks for all the links they are awesome and helped me. i like pics or videos as i can see how they do it. also can someone tell me what CCW stands for?

Skittl1321
06-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Yui- CCW means Counter Clockwise- so spinning in the direction of your left shoulder.
CW means clockwise- spinning in the direction of your right shoulder.

Skittl1321
06-12-2009, 12:22 PM
Ok. How should I have my feet and blades? Should I be using my toe-picks?

Your feet should be slightly apart- shoulder width, maybe a bit more. You want to bring them closer together as you begin to spin. They should be parallel- like this: ll

Some people like to put one toe pick into the ice to help them start- I've never figured out this method and it causes me to trip. You have to experiment to see what works best for you.

In a two foot spin, I like to think about one blade spinning forward and one blade spinning backward, so the weight on my feet is slightly different depending on which way I'm spinning. The forward blade has the weight slightly back, the backward blade has the weight slightly front. That keeps you on your "sweet spot"- but is probably too much to think about when you first get started. A huge mistake of adults (me too!) is over thinking. Sometimes, you just have to do it and see what happens. But like Isk8NYC said- you want to try it with control, and with proper safety equipment.

Isk8NYC
06-12-2009, 12:31 PM
If you find you're slowing down and can't keep spinning, try these tips:

Close your legs/feet during the spin. If you spread the feet apart, you are causing it to stop.
Make yourself tall and stand up straight so you're not wobbling.
Keep your hands in front where you can see them and pretend to hold a big ball at first, drawing the arms in slowly.
The faster you draw in your arms, the sooner your spin will end so if you need more revolutions, don't pull in right away.
Don't lean forward or backward - keep your spine straight. Leaning throws off balance and slows down the spin.
Find the "sweet spot": NOT on the toepicks, NOT on the middle of your blade, but on the blade right BEHIND your toepicks where both your toes and your heels will swing freely.
Pick up your toes and heels inside the boot to press on that spot - it should be under the ball of your foot. (If your skates are sized/mounted properly)
I don't teach parallel feet | | because it slows down the spin and skaters often put their heels together in error which can cause a fall.
Instead, I teach "pigeon toes" /\ so that their weight is held forward on the ball of the foot. Many end up with the parallel feet, which is acceptable too.

Skate@Delaware
06-12-2009, 12:33 PM
WOW At my rink. Hats or anything that goes on the head is not allowed. so we gotta live with it. im fine but i need help with my spins too. i can do 2 revs then it stops. i need to do 3 revs but i find it hard. we have to lift our foot halfay through and then glide on an outside back egde at the end. im doing 3 jumps and spirals. i am so happy. skatted in my figure skates 5-6 times and they are really cool. gotta get used to them as im having trouble with toepicks as im not used to them. but thanks for all the links they are awesome and helped me. i like pics or videos as i can see how they do it. also can someone tell me what CCW stands for?

You might be slowing down because you may be tilting sideways and falling out of it; you may be rocking on your blade (either forward or backwards). You may also just be losing momentum if it was entered slowly or with no momentum going in; and, if you pop up to a straight leg too soon that will tends slow you way down.

CoachPA
06-12-2009, 01:08 PM
Some people like to put one toe pick into the ice to help them start

This type of preparation, FSWer, is called a pivot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2YZXZ2LXDI).

BatikatII
06-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Says the lady who has skated in a penguin costume with cushions up her front....

But I took my watch off!:lol:

FSWer
06-12-2009, 08:42 PM
Should my Toe-picks be touching the ice and helping me at all? LOL. btw. is your Rink coo-koo Yui? Are you trying to tell us that it's not allowed to wear a helmet?

Kat12
06-12-2009, 09:06 PM
I've seen lessons advertised where they say right out that skaters of a certain level HAVE to wear helmets. I think it was just Basic 1, or Basic 1 & 2, or something. I don't know if that would've applied to the adults or not, though. Presumably it was geared toward little kids who are less likely to have their balance to begin with and less likely to be able to fall safely.

Isk8NYC
06-13-2009, 12:35 AM
Should my Toe-picks be touching the ice and helping me at all? LOL. btw. is your Rink coo-koo Yui? Are you trying to tell us that it's not allowed to wear a helmet?
. Toe picks do not touch the ice during the spin.
. Please wear a helmet, FSWer. It doesn't affect two-foot spins at all.

FSWer
06-13-2009, 08:38 PM
LOL,I DO wrear my helmet. I was responding to Yui's last message. I was Nasking if Yui ment your not allowed to wear a helmet? Because I curtainly hope a Rink wouldn't do that.

Yui
06-14-2009, 02:43 PM
LOL,I DO wrear my helmet. I was responding to Yui's last message. I was Nasking if Yui ment your not allowed to wear a helmet? Because I curtainly hope a Rink wouldn't do that.
Yea no helmets what so ever. then again. from the very beginning we get taught how to get up when we fall. i think it might be because they dont want you to get used to a helmet. anyway the worst injury ive had was doing backwards crossovers then a one foot outside edge glide. i full backwards and landed on one hand. all 70kg on one hand lol. then i was reall hurt and went to first aid. i've never fallen on my head since grade 1 and now im bronze which would be grade 11 in numbers. i dont see how you could fall on your head. forward you're on your belly backwards your on your bum. also wouldnt it hurt abit if you fell backward and the helmet crashed into your head? they wear helmets for hockey though. not figure

Kat12
06-14-2009, 04:04 PM
I can imagine that if, conceivably, I fell backward hard enough and bounced off my butt, I could hit my head. Or, if jumping or spinning and you fall fast enough to not have time to try to NOT land on your head.

Usually when I fall I have time to try to land on some soft part of my body, but I had one fall where I was up, then I was down, and didn't have time to think in between...and I would imagine that would be the sort of fall where one could hit one's head.

TreSk8sAZ
06-14-2009, 04:29 PM
I've had concussions from falls while skating, and I do jumps up through some doubles as well as ice-dance. It really isn't that hard to imagine. Once I was doing footwork, fell straight backward. It happened so quickly that I could not put my hands back, and that likely would have broken something if I had tried to catch myself in that position. I smacked the back of my head.

If you fall backward, you may hit another part of your body first, but the momentum can keep you going and hit your head on the ice. I could also see falling sideways, trying to catch yourself and your hand slipping out from under you or some such thing. Even if you land on your hip or side, your head could still continue to go farther and hit the ice. "Bouncing" off another part of your body doesn't mean you are going to bounce away from the ice. It could throw your head straight into the ice instead.

It is important for beginning skaters of all ages, especially those who may have pre-existing balance or muscle issues, to take precautions and wear a helmet to prevent possible serious injury. Even elite competitiors have worn helmets after a head injury while they get used to the ice again if there is even the possibility that hitting their head could occur and create more damage.

Skate@Delaware
06-14-2009, 05:05 PM
I had a nasty fall several years ago when I fell on a back progressive, I only saved my head by tucking my chin into my chest. My most recent concussion was from whacking my chin on the ice from falling forward (was wearing hockey skates).

I have been knocked down while teaching and have fallen and barely hit my head (saved it repeatedly, but I know one day I'll whack it again).

You never know when a bad fall is coming, either from catching a rut in the ice, a toepick, or from someone hitting you and knocking you down.

For a rink that doesn't let a beginning skater wear a helmet-I'd ask them how they want their name spelled in any lawsuit....because the liability would be theirs in the end. You could actually say you HAVE to wear one that it's a required medical device (that's what my doctor said after my concussion-but I opted to stay off the ice for the week).

FSWer
06-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Yea no helmets what so ever. then again. from the very beginning we get taught how to get up when we fall. i think it might be because they dont want you to get used to a helmet. anyway the worst injury ive had was doing backwards crossovers then a one foot outside edge glide. i full backwards and landed on one hand. all 70kg on one hand lol. then i was reall hurt and went to first aid. i've never fallen on my head since grade 1 and now im bronze which would be grade 11 in numbers. i dont see how you could fall on your head. forward you're on your belly backwards your on your bum. also wouldnt it hurt abit if you fell backward and the helmet crashed into your head? they wear helmets for hockey though. not figure

LOL,has anyone ever gotten hurt in a situation a helmet could prevent? I bet there hasn't. As you know the saying...there has to be an accident before people will do something.

Kat12
06-16-2009, 05:04 PM
^I dunno, but I know I started wearing elbow pads AFTER my nasty fall a couple weeks ago! My elbow is STILL a bit sore!

I think I figured out why i can't stay balanced on a two-foot spin...it's because I can't even do one on dry land without being unbalanced! So I think I'm going to practice sliding around on my socks on our hardwood floors, and when I can do that, THEN I'll take it to the ice!

Strangely enough, though, I too have done two-foot spins by accident, usually due to to a turn gone bad. Wish I could do it INTENTIONALLY!

Skate@Delaware
06-16-2009, 07:17 PM
^I dunno, but I know I started wearing elbow pads AFTER my nasty fall a couple weeks ago! My elbow is STILL a bit sore!

I think I figured out why i can't stay balanced on a two-foot spin...it's because I can't even do one on dry land without being unbalanced! So I think I'm going to practice sliding around on my socks on our hardwood floors, and when I can do that, THEN I'll take it to the ice!

Strangely enough, though, I too have done two-foot spins by accident, usually due to to a turn gone bad. Wish I could do it INTENTIONALLY!
Don't forget to try spinning in a swivel chair as well-it gets your body used to the sensation of spinning. Use caution-don't twirl too hard or the chair could fall over!

Kat12
06-16-2009, 08:06 PM
^ Oh boy...this is going to go over well at work tomorrow!

Oh well. What are coworkers for if not to think you're loopy?

Skate@Delaware
06-16-2009, 09:29 PM
^ Oh boy...this is going to go over well at work tomorrow!

Oh well. What are coworkers for if not to think you're loopy?
Ha ha! I used to get caught many times spinning in my chair, spiraling at my desk, and waltz jumping at the copier!

Kat12
06-17-2009, 06:24 AM
I try really hard not to get caught practicing Highland dance, bunny hops, and singing to myself at work. :) And also taking off my shoes and practicing two-foot spins in my socks on the lino floor in the kitchen while waiting for the microwave to heat my water for my tea (that was yesterday). :)

sk8joyful
06-19-2009, 04:56 AM
If you find you're slowing down and can't keep spinning, try these tips:

Close your legs/feet during the spin. If you spread the feet apart, you are causing it to stop.
Make yourself tall and stand up straight so you're not wobbling.
Keep your hands in front where you can see them and pretend to hold a big ball at first, drawing the arms in slowly.
The faster you draw in your arms, the sooner your spin will end so if you need more revolutions, don't pull in right away.
Don't lean forward or backward - keep your spine straight. Leaning throws off balance and slows down the spin.
Find the "sweet spot": NOT on the toepicks, NOT on the middle of your blade, but on the blade right BEHIND your toepicks where both your toes and your heels will swing freely.
Pick up your toes and heels inside the boot to press on that spot - it should be under the ball of your foot. (If your skates are sized/mounted properly)
I don't teach parallel feet | | because it slows down the spin and skaters often put their heels together in error which can cause a fall.
Instead, I teach "pigeon toes" /\ so that their weight is held forward on the ball of the foot. Many end up with the parallel feet, which is acceptable too.

A-ha! soo many 8O things to line-up right :!: - so, when will "spins" become AUTOMATIC... :lol:

sk8joyful
06-19-2009, 05:05 AM
I try really hard not to get caught
practicing Highland dance, bunny hops, and singing to myself at work. :)
And also taking off my shoes and practicing two-foot spins in my socks on the lino floor in the kitchen
while waiting for the microwave to heat my water for my tea (that was yesterday). :)

oh, but that's 1/2 the fun :) you know: practicing... bunny-hops, Waltz-jumps, & full-rotations, while Grocery-shopping... at 2 am ;)
or
while at the Gas-station, or whereever... 3 days ago, I was at the Farmer's market, & the folks there already know lol

londonicechamp
06-19-2009, 01:19 PM
Hi

Umm, you can start your 2 foot spin from a pivot position, I normally start from a standstill position.

My other skating friends trying to teach her friend basic two foot spin from a pivot position. The friend cannot get more than 2 revolutions. Do not know why. I can feel her frustration. The friend is quite good with jumps though.

londonicechamp