View Full Version : Blades "Stuck" on Boots

SkatEn
06-09-2009, 05:59 AM
I've an issue.

The second-hand skates I got are pretty new and nice even though they are the older model.

The thing is, I'm doing waterproofing with varnish. I was attempting to remove the blade so that I can reach the whole sole. Somehow, the heel plates of both blades did not give any issues but the sole plates seem "stuck" on the boots.

I can't see if there are any glue under or anything like that. Is it a natural occurrence? Should I continue with the varnishing? Will it do harm in the future if I can't reach the sole? I have already applied one layer.

I wanted to put some silicon under the blades like here: http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/skating/mounting_blades.html

But it doesn't seem much like an option now.

My current skates' right blades are really unstable so I want to do a good job for this pair.

Thanks for any help.
I may approach a coach who may know something about this if it doesn't work out.

Sessy
06-09-2009, 06:57 AM
Is it really that neccessary to waterproof them? I mean, if you just dry them off after skating?

Skittl1321
06-09-2009, 08:00 AM
I would Sessy- when I changed the blade on my current skates (bought used) the entire area under the blade plate was rotted. My sharpener didn't think it would affect the stability of the blade, but if it ever gets really bad it definetly could.

As for stuck blades- if you can't get it off with your hand, that's really weird. My blades stayed in place after the screws were removed, but I could take them off when I pulled (they had indented into the soles). Thankfully my new blades lined up to about the same place, so it wasn't an issue. Hope you figure it out.

Isk8NYC
06-09-2009, 08:08 AM
How old are these second-hand skates? It sounds like they were varnished before the blades were mounted. Varnish takes a really long time to harden, so mounting the blades before the soles were totally dry would cause it to adhere the boots to the blades. Back in the day, it was believed that the layer of varnish under the blade sole would protect the boot, but as Skittl pointed out, that's not always the case. Think about it: the varnish contains moisture - you're just trapping it in there.

I've always had the blade sole plate "sink in" to the leather sole on pretty much every pair of skates. That makes it harder to remove the blades.

Just use a putty knife and prise the soleplate off the boot. Then plug the holes before you apply varnish.

FWIW, we used varnish or "Heel and Sole Enamel" in the 1980's and I still ended up with boot rot. I use SnoSeal now and haven't had many problems with rot, except around the unused holes from a previous blade.

SkatEn
06-09-2009, 12:09 PM
Is it really that neccessary to waterproof them? I mean, if you just dry them off after skating?
Yes it is. There are some parts that your towel just can't reach, like unused screw holes, and under the plate. While my coach said he never needed any water proofing on his skates which he has for years, he doesn't spend so much time falling and getting his skates wet. :lol:

As for stuck blades- if you can't get it off with your hand, that's really weird. My blades stayed in place after the screws were removed, but I could take them off when I pulled (they had indented into the soles). Thankfully my new blades lined up to about the same place, so it wasn't an issue. Hope you figure it out.
I'm pulling and pulling. I'm afraid to pull too hard and the whole sole may just come out haha! :) My current skates are like yours, indented (from leather softening due to water penetration), and then I can pull the bad blade a little. But for this pair, I could pull the heel but not the sole!!!
http://i44.tinypic.com/50nwk2.jpg
Heel Plate with minimal force

http://i43.tinypic.com/244ee0h.jpg
Sole plate :giveup:

How old are these second-hand skates? It sounds like they were varnished before the blades were mounted. Varnish takes a really long time to harden, so mounting the blades before the soles were totally dry would cause it to adhere the boots to the blades. Back in the day, it was believed that the layer of varnish under the blade sole would protect the boot, but as Skittl pointed out, that's not always the case. Think about it: the varnish contains moisture - you're just trapping it in there.
I think the skates are not very new cos they look slightly yellowish. But the numbers and all are still there. It's definitely not varnished because of the huge color difference once I apply the first coat.
http://i44.tinypic.com/1j5086.jpg
Pic from eBay
http://i43.tinypic.com/dq2eqd.jpg
After today's single coat

What about the silicon sealant then? I'm thinking that if varnish traps moisture, so does anything else! If the intent is to keep moisture out, likewise will the moisture that is in to be "trapped" inside!

I've always had the blade sole plate "sink in" to the leather sole on pretty much every pair of skates. That makes it harder to remove the blades.
The plates don't look sunk in at all. It's so tight I'm thinking the fitter used glue. Why would the fitter use glue anyway? Damn, what if the blades need to be shifted?!?!

Just use a putty knife and prise the soleplate off the boot. Then plug the holes before you apply varnish.
I don't know what's thin enough to slot under the sole plate. But WHEN I manage to get it off, IF I get it off, is there a need to plug the holes? I'm intending to just lift it high enough to coat a few layers, let it dry, and screw it back.

BTW, applying the varnish was very therapeutic... either from the repetitive act or the fumes, I don't know... :lol::lol:

fsk8r
06-10-2009, 01:44 AM
Looking at your photos of the sole plate it looks like you've got a small gap at one end, so you might be able to slot something metal in (blunt blade) and use that to prise it off.
Is the stickiness under the heel plate the varnish you've been applying? As it looks like there's something that was holding that on as well.
It could well be varnish as it comes in various shades so it might just be that you're applying a slightly darker shade.
Good luck getting them off.

SkatEn
06-10-2009, 05:30 AM
Looking at your photos of the sole plate it looks like you've got a small gap at one end, so you might be able to slot something metal in (blunt blade) and use that to prise it off.
I tried using a spoon. I'll go try a butter knife but it hasn't gave way at all. Grr....
Is the stickiness under the heel plate the varnish you've been applying? As it looks like there's something that was holding that on as well.
It could well be varnish as it comes in various shades so it might just be that you're applying a slightly darker shade.
Good luck getting them off.
Yep that's the varnish I'm applying. Not entirely dry when I took the pictures. The heel plates have no issues at all. So frustrated with this.

Thanks! I think I'll try again and if I can't.... :giveup:

That's the way it's meant to be!

BTW, is it okay to put silicon on TOP of the plate? Since I can't get under...

Isk8NYC
06-10-2009, 07:09 AM
A putty knife is a tool that workmen use in building, repairing, or scraping stuff off walls. It has a thin, flexible metal blade and comes in multiple widths. You can buy one at the hardware store, but anyone who works on their house would probably own one that you could borrow.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/a7/a7eda673-1283-4539-ba7c-03c1a9dcac94_300.jpg

fsk8r
06-10-2009, 07:51 AM
A putty knife is a tool that workmen use in building, repairing, or scraping stuff off walls. It has a thin, flexible metal blade and comes in multiple widths. You can buy one at the hardware store, but anyone who works on their house would probably own one that you could borrow.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/a7/a7eda673-1283-4539-ba7c-03c1a9dcac94_300.jpg

Being wider than a butter knife, it will give you better leverage in trying to get the blade off. There might be other similarly thin, wide things in the DIY box at home that would equally have the same benefits.

SkatEn
06-10-2009, 11:59 AM
I was cursing as I watched Project Runway reruns.

Why? I was prying the blades apart from the boots with a butter knife.

It did come apart. It sounds and look like they were glued.

http://i42.tinypic.com/fa7tjc.jpg
In the picture, you can see the lighter spots. Those spots are raised, like a little furry too.

Which makes me think, could that be to level the boot/blade? Man, I'm afraid of screwing them up.

Thanks for explaining what's a putty knife! Haha I'm not very good at DIY stuff. I think I have that at home, but it's a little rusty, and slightly thicker than my butter knife.

ETA: The right blade is very very very stubbornly stuck. I used the putty knife on it. It's leaving marks on the soles but the blade refuses to budge. I'm going to continue varnishing the left one....

UGHHH. The right blade of my current skates is the one giving my problems! This is so iffy!

fsk8r
06-11-2009, 01:55 AM
Well done on getting one blade off. Sounds like cursing whilst watching TV is the way to go. You might be able to prise a little with the butter knife and then get pallet knife under it.
Alternatively, if you can work out what the glue is, maybe you can find a solvent to dissolve the old glue? Although that might wet the boots so you'd have to leave them to dry before varnishing them.
At least you know now that the blades are definitely glued on.
Now why would anyone want to do that?