View Full Version : Red stones/black dress - need advice

stacyf419
06-08-2009, 12:23 PM
Has anyone used red stones for a black dress? I'm wondering what color Swarovski I should use to make sure they really stand out and give a nice red color against the black.
-Is Siam too dark against black?
-Would you suggest using jet or regular crystal color as contrast to create sparkle?
As always, I appreciate your input!

RachelSk8er
06-08-2009, 12:36 PM
Has anyone used red stones for a black dress? I'm wondering what color Swarovski I should use to make sure they really stand out and give a nice red color against the black.
-Is Siam too dark against black?
-Would you suggest using jet or regular crystal color as contrast to create sparkle?
As always, I appreciate your input!

I think Siams would show up fine especially if you're using larger ones, but light siams are a little brigher and would pop more if you're ok with a slightly brighter color. I have light siams on a black dress (accented with clear crystal in the design and jet hematites to make the black bodice sparkle), I can post a pic later to give you an idea (I'm at work and don't have any good ones on this computer). If you're my friend on Facebook check out my ANs album and there are plenty of pics of it on there. I also have light siams and crystal ABs on a red dress (the red is there just to sparkle) and on my red/black lace Tango dress.

aussieskater
06-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Try light siam, hyacinth, or (for real pop) fire opal.

stacyf419
06-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Wow, that fire opal is really different and pretty. I hadn't seen that color before! Thank you.

sk8tmum
06-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Try Sun. It's pretty on black.

Jet won't show particuarly, you'll get a kind of shiny black contrast, pretty but pretty expensive to produce with the cost of Swarovskis; hematite might show, but, it depends on the black of the dress - I've seen it look great, and look not-so-great depending on the depth of colour of the material. If you want contrast, especially because red against black is not a very high contrast to start with: use crystal. AB would be great, but, with the play of lights across the AB, it's going to detract from a clear emphasis of the red shade.

Or you could be slightly different and use a jonquil or light topaz ... you'd get a glowing, not a bright sparkling, effect. I've done that, it looks neat :)

Skate@Delaware
06-08-2009, 08:11 PM
I haven't used red, but I put pink stones on my black gloves and they are gorgeous! I think going lighter is always better if you can. And always go bigger! I don't use anything smaller (for dresses anyway) smaller than the 4mm.

jenlyon60
06-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Fire Opal looks really good against black. Also Volcano and Hyacinth AB.

RachelSk8er
06-09-2009, 10:35 AM
The siam ABs are really pretty, too. Those with some crystal ABs would look nice.

PinkLaces
06-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Fire Opal is really pretty. I used it that and the jet on one of my DD's dresses. The jet didn't really show up on the black, because it was more a solid black. The fire opal looked great though.

I think the jet looks better on a more chiffon type fabric. DD's coach stoned the skirt of DD's dance dress with the jet (it had a more chiffon type fabric) and the jet stones looked great on it. It gave it lots of subtle sparkle.