View Full Version : What moves do you pratice during your Freestyle Session?

FSWer
06-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Ok,I've ask you fellow Skaters what a Freestyle Session is like. Now it's time to please tell me what moves you yourself pratice during your Freestyle.

londonicechamp
06-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Hi FSWer

Well, I normally practice the jump(s) and spin that my coach taught me during the freestyle session. I have just learnt the waltz jump from the moving position, and also the scratch spin, so practising these two at the moment.

Occasionally when not too many people, I may attempt the sit spin. The coach in Singapore has not taught me this spin yet, though I did learn this spin in London, and so I do not practise this spin very often.

Hope this helps.

londonicechamp

techskater
06-06-2009, 04:28 PM
Novice MIF, spins that are in the new program, "stretch" spins (not in program but working to get), jumps that are in the new program, and "stretch" jumps (not in a program, yet). Also program(s) blocking or skate through depending on where it is in the season and layout...

hanca
06-06-2009, 05:20 PM
That's a weird question! I practice everything. Jumps, spins, field moves, program...now when I injured my achilles tendon I also started doing dance, because it is the only thing that doesn't hurt doing.

liz_on_ice
06-06-2009, 08:13 PM
I practice whatever my coach complained about in my last lesson, whatever is bothering me most besides that, and try to practice each jump and spin at least a couple times.

danasuperstar
06-07-2009, 06:55 PM
In my 1-hour freestyle I usually do about 20 mins of MIF, several backspins, a few sit-backsits, a couple of camel-sit-backsits, a couple of camels by themselves, then a few waltzes, then a loop, loop-loop, sal, sal-loop, toe loop, toe loop-loop, flip, flip loop, lutz and lutz-loop. I spend about the next 20 mins working on just the axel, since that's my hardest jump and I haven't completely mastered it. After that I'll attempt a few 2sals. The last 10 mins or so, I will do my spirals, lunges and Ina Bauers. The last two minutes of the session I will do either split jumps or laybacks, because those take every ounce of energy I have.

miraclegro
06-11-2009, 06:25 PM
Depends on the length of the freestye, but i usually:

Start w/ power crossovers, then get a few spins in to get the legs warmed up. I usually jump a little later.

Depending on the crowd, i usuall work on parts of my programs, running the program a little later in the freestyle when it a bit more cleared off, running it two times.

Work on every MIF element in Intermediate, then work on Spiral Sequence (Novice) which helps with everything!

Then lots of spin combos, backspins, waltz/backspins, jump - loop backspins, and anything that will help me get that blasted axel.

Work on twizzles as i have time, and anything else i missed.

SkaterBird
06-11-2009, 07:00 PM
The short answer is, whatever needs work! Plus spins, because I like them. Currently, my waltz jump, half flip, half lutz, upright spins, beginning (really beginning!) camel spin, and those hateful inside three turns that are keeping me from passing prebronze moves!!!.

londonicechamp
06-12-2009, 06:48 AM
Hi SkateBird

Hope you pass your prebronze test soon. :)

I also practice whatever the coach told me to work on, currently: mohawk sequence and then a waltz jump, toe loop and scratch spin etc.

londonicechamp

PinkLaces
06-12-2009, 10:03 PM
I usually spend half my session working on Moves. The second half jumps and spins. I do 3 waltz jumps, 3 salchows, 3 scratch spins to warm up. Then I work on toe loop, loop, and flip. The last 10 minutes I work on spins - back spin, sit spin, and flip. Sometimes, I do the backspins before the loop & flip.

flo
06-12-2009, 10:42 PM
Hi there,
We first do our basic warm up - 2 crossovers, 2 swing rolls, 2 crossovers, 2 cross rolls. Then a counter and we work on backward edges.
We then usually start the sessions with footwork and edges. Next spins, throws, lifts and when it clears out a bit, death spirals.