View Full Version : What materials can I use for cleaning the blades?

londonicechamp
06-05-2009, 02:08 AM
Hi guys

What materials can I use for cleaning the ice blades? I used to use WD40. However, I do not have WD40 in Singapore. I have Singer oil- a type of multi-purpose oil. Is it okay that I use that instead? :roll:

Thanks. :lol:

londonicechamp

katz in boots
06-05-2009, 03:22 AM
May I ask what you are cleaning off your blades? Do they go rusty on the edges, or is it just water spots?

I wipe mine with a microfibre towel to remove moisture before putting soakers on. I don't feel the need to do more than that, and I only know one person who does more than that. She sprays her blades & boot bottoms with WD40 after skating.

londonicechamp
06-05-2009, 03:46 AM
Hi katz in boots

I clean my blades after skating, from the dirt and also the water on the ice. :roll:

I have not got soaker (is that the blade guards) for my ice skates in Singapore, as the spare one, I shipped it back from London to Singapore, and it will not arrive until maybe another 2 months' time. 8O

londonicechamp

Clarice
06-05-2009, 06:03 AM
I've never known anyone who oiled the blades, except for long-term storage. I just wipe mine off thoroughly with a towel.

londonicechamp
06-05-2009, 06:15 AM
Hi Clarice

Well, I do that too. So you mean that I do not have to do anything else to prevent the blades from getting rusty?

londonicechamp

Kat12
06-05-2009, 06:20 AM
Is the WD-40 for making them dry faster or something? In which case I wonder if rubbing alcohol would also work (and smell better!).

londonicechamp
06-05-2009, 06:28 AM
Hi Kat12

The WD40 is just to keep the moisture on the blades, I believe. :lol:

Rubbing alcohol on the blades, umm, never heard of it. 8O So better not try it. :roll:

londonicechamp

NickiT
06-05-2009, 06:29 AM
I was told you don't need to apply WD-40 to your blades unless you know you're going to have an extended period of not using them. I've never had problems drying them with a towel and putting soakers on.

Nicki

londonicechamp
06-05-2009, 06:34 AM
Hi NickiT

Thanks for your information.

I do not have soakers at the moment, as I shipped the spare pair of them from London to Singapore, and I won't get them until maybe another 2 months' time.

So my question is: if I am not using soakers for the next 2 months, do I have to do anything special to protect the blades? :roll:

londonicechamp

aussieskater
06-05-2009, 07:13 AM
What about wrapping your blades in small towels (eg: hand towels, teatowels etc) after drying them off thoroughly, while you're waiting for your soakers to arrive with the rest of your stuff?

caffn8me
06-05-2009, 07:43 AM
Hi Londonicechamp :)

If I were you I'd buy another set of soakers as they are very cheap. I'm sure they must sell them in Singapore.

Sarah

londonicechamp
06-05-2009, 07:46 AM
Hi Sarah

I am being told that there is no useful pro shop here in Singapore, which sells the necessary ice skating stuff such as soakers. I was advised by a friend in Singapore that it is better that I get all the necessary stuff from London. 8O

londonicechamp

londonicechamp
06-05-2009, 07:47 AM
Hi aussieskater

Your idea can be a good suggestion. :)

londonicechamp

caffn8me
06-05-2009, 08:20 AM
Hi Sarah

I am being told that there is no useful pro shop here in Singapore, which sells the necessary ice skating stuff such as soakers. I was advised by a friend in Singapore that it is better that I get all the necessary stuff from London. 8O

londonicechampHi Londonicechamp,

Perhaps that's a business opportunity for you :) Ann started her Ice-Venture business because she was having trouble getting things and now seems to be doing very well.

If there are rinks, there must be a market for skating accessories.

Sarah

Isk8NYC
06-05-2009, 08:24 AM
I do not have soakers at the moment, as I shipped the spare pair of them from London to Singapore, and I won't get them until maybe another 2 months' time. Soakers are nothing more than fitted terrycloth blade covers. Just put old terrycloth towels under and around your blades after you dry them well. You can just keep them in the bottom of your bag and stand your blades on them. The chrome will protect the upper part - it's the business end of the blade that needs the absorbancy.

If you're really concerned, make your own - it just takes a towel, some elastic and a needle with thread. Not really difficult at all - search the forum and you'll find some old threads. I remember Mrs. Redboots and Skate@Delaware posting about soakers, and I believe others have contributed as well.

The purpose behind soakers is to "wick away" the moisture that forms from condensation as the blades warm up to room temperature. It's a physics lesson: take a cold can of soda and put it on a table in a warm room. Moisture will appear on the outside of the can. If you wipe it away, it will reform until the can of soda is the same temperature as the room. That's what soakers do - they soak up that condensation.

Is it really humid in Singapore? If so, try my best trick: take a child's sock and fill it with about a 1/4 cup of activated carbon (from the pet store - used for fish tank filters) mixed with silica (from a craft store - used for drying flowers) (1:3 ratio is fine). Knot/sew the sock closed, then keep it in the bottom of your bag. The carbon will absorb odors and the silica will absorb moisture.

I only use WD-40 on the bottom of the blades when I store skates for a long time. BUT, I actually use a paste stick version that they sell in hardware stores. (Thanks for the tip, Annabelle) There's no need to spray it all over the bottom of the skate. The spray does contain oil and rubbing alcohol. The alcohol removes oils and water, after you spray, the oil is left behind.

It's not good for lungs or leather, AFAIK. Sewing machine oil would be fine, but again, there's no need to use it regularly.

When I travel, I put WD-40 paste on the blades, then put on the hard guards, and stretch the soakers over the top. It saves storage space and protects the blades. Not all soakers will fit over, though, and yours are already shipped, but if you buy another pair, try this trick.

There's no need to clean your blades to get off every little spot.
Getting zany with baking powder and steel wool just dulls them and can scratch the chrome finished part if you're not careful.

Be careful about drying them well after you skate. (I use a car chamois)
You can stand the blades on the terrycloth towels inside your bag; it's the same function as soakers.
Keep the drying rag in an outside pouch.
Don't close your bag all the way - let air circulate.
Bring your skates inside and leave the bag open to air out.

Real skaters don't obsess about having slightly discolored blades, because we know that a good sharpening will take it off easily. I don't know what blades are on your skates, but the entry-level blades discolor more easily. Unless there is visible rust - the red, crumbly stuff, don't worry too much.

You should get your blades sharpened before you get on the plane, so you will have time to find a good sharpener where you're going.

Skate@Delaware
06-05-2009, 09:40 AM
I think you can just follow everyone's suggestions. If a pro shop is difficult to find in Singapore, and you are worried about sharpenings, maybe you should get a handheld sharpener like the pro-filer? http://www.pro-filer.com/

BillS and I both use one, they come in different blade hollows, and are pretty easy to use. I also use the hockey one for my son's hockey skates.

I got one after a teenager ruined the rocker on my blade. :x

You can handcraft some soakers using a handtowel and some rubberbands, just fold a towel around your blades and wrap a large rubber band around the bottom. That works in a pinch...OR you can throw a large bath towel in your skate bag, and wrap your skates up in them.

Starting at one (short) end of the towel, wrap that around the blade, wrap it up....do the same for the other skate/end. Stuff that into your bag. Ta-da! problem solved until you get soakers!

londonicechamp
06-05-2009, 09:40 PM
Hi guys

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. My other skating friend in Singapore said that on the 2nd floor of the shopping mall (the rink is located on the 3rd floor), there is a very small skating pro shop which sells guards (soakers etc). So I will definitely go there to have a look next week either on Monday (when I go for practice) or Tuesday (my regular lesson day).

londonicechamp

londonicechamp
06-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Hi guys

I managed to get some blade guards, from the ice rink pro shop today, before I went ice skating yesterday. They cost me S$23 (a pair). :o Still, they are worth it. :P

londonicechamp

techskater
06-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Not just guards, make sure you also have SOAKERS for post skating storage. Never store your skates in your hard guards.

Mrs Redboots
06-10-2009, 09:35 AM
Hi guys

I managed to get some blade guards, from the ice rink pro shop today, before I went ice skating yesterday. They cost me S$23 (a pair). :o Still, they are worth it. :P

londonicechamp

Don't confuse hard plastic guards and soakers. The former are for protecting your blades when you're walking around off the ice (going to the loo, or whatever); you don't store your blades in them, except possibly while travelling to protect them in your suitcase. But what you store your blades in are towelling soakers, with or without a pretty exterior. They are very easy to make - just cut a hand-towel in half so that you have two pieces, each around 30 cm by 15 cm. Make a 1 cm casing on each of the two long sides of each piece, then sew up the side seams. Thread about 30 cm of thin elastic through the casing, join the ends, and sew up the remaining seams.

Or if you can't be bothered, buy a couple of cheap face-flannels and wrap each blade in one, using a 3rd to dry your blades first.

londonicechamp
06-12-2009, 06:49 AM
Hi techskater

Yes got soaker from the ice rink pro shop after my ice skating lesson and practice yesterday. :D

londonicechamp

chowskates
06-15-2009, 03:56 AM
Hi Sarah

londonicechamp

I do run an online shop, will bring you anything you need if you let me know in advance... soakers, guards, snoseal, handheld skate sharpener, boot covers, tights, just let me know :-)

Cheers,
Chow

chowskates
06-15-2009, 04:11 AM
Be careful about drying them well after you skate. (I use a car chamois)
You can stand the blades on the terrycloth towels inside your bag; it's the same function as soakers.
Keep the drying rag in an outside pouch.
Don't close your bag all the way - let air circulate.
Bring your skates inside and leave the bag open to air out.

If in Singapore, DO NOT stand blades on towels inside a bag - those towels will *never* dry! I take my skates out of the bag and keep it in a room with good air circulation.

Isk8NYC
06-15-2009, 07:16 AM
I do run an online shop, will bring you anything you need if you let me know in advance... soakers, guards, snoseal, handheld skate sharpener, boot covers, tights, just let me know :-)

If in Singapore, DO NOT stand blades on towels inside a bag - those towels will *never* dry! I take my skates out of the bag and keep it in a room with good air circulation.
Then you can't use soakers in Singapore either, so you shouldn't even bother selling them to skaters in that country.

chowskates
06-15-2009, 07:37 AM
Then you can't use soakers in Singapore either, so you shouldn't even bother selling them to skaters in that country.

there's reason to what you said, but soakers are the only thing i would put on when i carry my skates home. i certainly don't want to carry them home in blade guards...

Isk8NYC
06-15-2009, 09:09 AM
there's reason to what you said, but soakers are the only thing i would put on when i carry my skates home. i certainly don't want to carry them home in blade guards...I would think that standing them on a dry towel would be even better than soakers since (as you pointed out) towels would allow more air circulation.

I'm not understanding why you singled out my inexpensive short-term alternative as a bad idea. I suggested that she should first dry her blades, put the rag in an outside pocket, THEN stand the now-dry blades on the towels. I also said to leave the bag open for air circulation.

chowskates
06-15-2009, 09:26 AM
I would think that standing them on a dry towel would be even better than soakers since (as you pointed out) towels would allow more air circulation.

I'm not understanding why you singled out my inexpensive short-term alternative as a bad idea. I suggested that she should first dry her blades, put the rag in an outside pocket, THEN stand the now-dry blades on the towels. I also said to leave the bag open for air circulation.

Ah now I see the sequence. I thought each line was a different suggestion.

I wasn't singling your suggestion out, just happened to see it and couldn't resist making a dig at how terribly humid it is here.

Isk8NYC
06-15-2009, 09:33 AM
Ah now I see the sequence. I thought each line was a different suggestion.

I wasn't singling your suggestion out, just happened to see it and couldn't resist making a dig at how terribly humid it is here.
Then you'll have to try my other suggestion:

Is it really humid in Singapore? If so, try my best trick: take a child's sock and fill it with about a 1/4 cup of activated carbon (from the pet store - used for fish tank filters) mixed with silica (from a craft store - used for drying flowers) (1:3 ratio is fine). Knot/sew the sock closed, then keep it in the bottom of your bag. The carbon will absorb odors and the silica will absorb moisture.

londonicechamp
06-15-2009, 12:09 PM
Hi chowskates

Yes would like to have blade guards, the one I got from the ice edge pro shop is a bit useless, as cannot really walk on them. :roll:

londonicechamp

xgskate
06-16-2009, 01:58 AM
Some places can be very humid. Some relatively not very dry places can be humid during certain climate. Under such situation (like Singapore, I can imagine), soaker is not sufficiently helpful.

What I do during such times is to run hot water over the blades until the blades are warmer than air then wipe it dry and put soaker on. I know that water reacts with metal especially if it it hot. But the time is so short, so it is fine. If you are worried, wipe your blades first and use your favorite hair-dryer to blow dry the blades till the blades are warmer than air and then put soaker on.

When the blades are warmer than dew point, no condensation will occur.

If the air is so humid that even dry blades in soaker will relatively quickly rust, then you will have to use oil. Or use a dehumidifier or store skates in a room with constant air conditioning, which dehumidifies the air.