View Full Version : Rink is closing

AgnesNitt
06-04-2009, 06:35 PM
It was abruptly announced today that the Fredericksburg Ice Park will close Sunday June 7.:cry:
The rink had been suffering from falling revenues over the past year and was closed.
Coaches and students are desperately searching for new training locations.
In its place will be an indoor go-kart facility:evil: for adults only. (How they expect to make a profit with that, I have no idea--unless the 'adults only' venue includes strippers and lap dancers in the go karts).
The adult skaters have been on the phone all evening trying to work out practice locations. I've not been able to reach my coach. She was talking about retiring, and this may be the end.

mdvask8r
06-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Oh MY . . . VERY SAD:cry: very very sad . . .:cry:

SkaterBird
06-04-2009, 09:44 PM
Awful news. I am so sorry for all the skaters and coaches who used the facility.:cry:

PinkLaces
06-04-2009, 10:54 PM
That bites! I can't believe there is a big market for indoor go-kart racing. Hope you all get your practices worked out.

Thin-Ice
06-05-2009, 02:06 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this! I've been through 2 rink closures and even when there are other rinks to go to, it feels like losing a friend. :cry: Good luck in working out where you will continue to skate.

Terri C
06-05-2009, 08:07 AM
This is sad.... I know that Prince William in Potomac Mills and Skate Nation Plus in Glen Allen are nearby, but from what I've seen, do not offer much ice time that is conducive to adult skating. Let me know what happens, I'm in Southeastern VA, where we have three rinks.

Isk8NYC
06-05-2009, 08:09 AM
I'm so sorry that your rink is closing. I hope the other options work out and that the community protests if there really are "Adult" activities planned.

What a shame - I'm always sad to hear of rinks closing down.

Petlover
06-05-2009, 01:57 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that! I hope you can find another rink that is convenient to skate at for you. Hugs to you.

herniated
06-06-2009, 07:10 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about this. I feel for you.

luckykid
06-06-2009, 07:14 PM
I'm sorry about it too.
But I suppose it's not too bad there? Where there are a few rinks in a city? I'm not sure though.
Here there used to be 2. One closed down, another opened up. Now the other has closed down too. So there's only 1 left, in the whole country.

Skate@Delaware
06-07-2009, 10:01 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that! We are always in fear that our rink will not make enough money to stay open and might close forever, the only other rinks nearby are at least 1-2 hours away.

I know that go-carts are popular down at the beach, it seems a new place keeps opening up every summer. I just don't understand the attraction tho.