View Full Version : Applying Bling-using mylar film

Skate@Delaware
06-04-2009, 09:29 AM
I decided to mess around and apply a decal to my skating jacket and my new pants. Of course, being the rink's Ice Queen I had to have a crown (it's been a running joke at my rink, with the over 40 crowd) so here is a link to the picture:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=76925&id=702251064&saved#/photo.php?pid=2342028&id=702251064&ref=nf

What you need are (complete directions with photos are here http://www.suessparklers.com/make-your-own-design.html)
heat-set stones (or the studs)
tweezers
paper
mylar tape
design to be used
(the site above shows using a light table, I didn't use one but you may find it easier)

You can be as creative as you want with the design, just bear in mind the following:
-the more complicated the design, the more stones you will need
-you should size the design to fit your stones AND the piece you are stoning
-sometimes simplicity is much better

Your sources can be many:
-cross stitch designs, coloring books, custom/unique creations done by you, your kids, etc.
-keep in mind the copyright rules, etc.

This method is best for any design that is color-intense, big, etc. but any big design can be broken down into smaller pieces.

Tips:
-when your stones have been applied to the mylar film, push them down with your fingers
-tape using painters tape, it sticks but not extremely tight
-pearl studs don't stick as well (anything with a large curved surface will not stick as well so be careful picking it up; you might want to place those pieces individually after pressing the main design)

finally, BE SURE TO TURN THE FILM OVER AND PREVIEW YOUR DESIGN BEFORE PRESSING!!! LOL! Yeah, I've not done this one and had to un-do a design (wrong colors used, they are all gray from the back).

katz in boots
06-05-2009, 03:05 AM
Cool !

as someone with shakey hands, I find mylar paper to be a real help. I've used it for a range of large & small designs, even just for adding one stone at a time in places (I never seem to have much luck with my hotfix applicator picking up & letting go of stones).

Just don't make the mistake I one did, thinking the backing paper might be good for placing over designs before ironing - it melts, leaving a gooey, sticky mess on the iron plate.:lol:

Skate@Delaware
06-05-2009, 10:31 AM
I was wondering about that....good thing I didn't experiment! I do have a silicone pressing sheet (used for appliques) but I found that just using the mylar is good enough, and pressing from the wrong side seems to help me "set" the stones (for my peace of mind at least).