View Full Version : Bee sting and skating hindering

miraclegro
06-03-2009, 04:21 PM
Well, i chased my little dog who escaped out the front door and stepped on a bee (barefoot). Had to pull the stinger out. Ouch! Treated w/baking soda/water paste, then put vinegar on it.

Needless to say, anyway, today i went to work and as the day progressed the swelling got worse and worse with a redness to it. I already had a Dr. Appt to get a shot for allergies and asked the nurse about it, and so they told me i had to see the Doctor. As it turns out, it was an infection.

I am so frustrated. This will knock me out for a couple of days for skating because i know for sure i can't get my foot in my boot now, because 3/4 of my foot is double in size until the antibiotic starts kicking in.

I wonder if i have some sort of extra sensivity though because i remember my foot swelling badly as a child.

Is there anything else i could have done to prevent this? Nurse says no. Just wondered. Ugh.

flo
06-03-2009, 05:17 PM
Just wear shoes whenever outside and avoid strong perfumes. Also, if this reaction was more than your last, be aware that the next could be worse. When you go in, ask the nurse/Dr. about bee allergies. As for the infection, a sting is a puncture wound and more difficult to clean.

fsk8r
06-04-2009, 02:03 AM
Needless to say, anyway, today i went to work and as the day progressed the swelling got worse and worse with a redness to it. I already had a Dr. Appt to get a shot for allergies and asked the nurse about it, and so they told me i had to see the Doctor. As it turns out, it was an infection.

I know the doctor is saying its an infection (and it might be) but it sure sounds like what happened when I last had a wasp sting. I had a sting on my foot and had swollen to my knee before my parents took me to the doctor (we were in France so everything took a lot longer as we were on vacation). He said it was an allergy and to take anti-histamines. It took a couple of days for that amount of swelling to go down. I've not had another sting so can't say whether it's got worse or not because I avoid wasps now.

Hope the swelling goes down quickly and you can get back on the ice.

sk8tmum
06-04-2009, 08:06 AM
If you have a significant reaction to an insect sting, you must be very wary in the future. Anaphylactic shock does not occur with the first incidence of stinging; it occurs in the second and subsequent. Depending on the severity of the reaction, it can be fatal.

If you have excessive swelling and/or trouble in breathing, you need to see your doctor to be evaluated. You may need to carry injectable adrenalin, and/or liquid antihistamines. Utilization of these may give you enough time to get to the hospital, or for an ambulance/EMS to reach you. It is also strongly suggested that you wear a MedicAlert, especially if you are travelling, as this will give immediate access to your medical records and contact information in the event of an emergency. It also helps a Good Samaritan first responder if you are wearing a bracelet that indicates a sting allergy and that you carry an epiPen - we know then what to look for if you are unconscious or unable to communicate due to swelling of the throat.

herniated
06-08-2009, 06:47 AM
Please listen to the above posters and if the doctor you went to was not an allergist get to one! I went into anaphylactic shock not from a bee/wasp sting but from my weekly allergy shot. I had reached my maximum dose for mold and dust and while waiting in the waiting room....started to go into it. Very scary. Especially the whole not being able to breathe thing.