View Full Version : Sewing your own stuff

Skate@Delaware
06-02-2009, 11:21 AM
I just made my own skating pants (not the first time) out of 4-way stretch polar fleece. After fudging around with the pattern (which was way interesting because this stuff REALLY stretches) I finally got it right.

Anywho, I'm going to try out the pants at the rink today (and will probably die of heat stroke :lol:).

I made them long enough and tapered to go over my skate heels...and got jazzy with a sparkly decal. I'll put up pics either tonight or tomorrow, I'm sort of pressed for time but I'm excited.

Next project: zip-off pants for Hackensack Adult Skate Camp (I will wear BOTH pants together as I get so cold and I hear Hackensack is an arctic freezer).

I'll post details if you want them.

Skate@Delaware
06-02-2009, 07:06 PM
Ok, here is a picture:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2335871&id=702251064

and I used Kwik-Sew's legging pattern from the book "Action Wear", modified (lots of modifications, lengthened the leg & really had to narrow the body of the pants because this fabric really stretches!).

The fabric is 4-way stretch polar fleece and man, was it warm for skating! It felt very good tho. It comes in 60" widths (www.rockywoods.com (http://www.rockywoods.com)) and I bought 4 yards (made these pants, and I will be making zip-off pants as well as a vest and a balaclava for hunting).

Elly86
06-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Wow, they look great!

Deb in Oz
06-02-2009, 07:56 PM
They're great. Wish we could get fabric like that here.... the polar fleece is just regular, and pretty rough stuff generally. Have you ever seen the Jalie pants pattern, they have a full zip training pant. Jalie.com I think is the address

Kat12
06-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Wow, pretty nifty. Always wanted to learn to sew but I can't bear the thought of wasting yards of fabric practicing...

Skate@Delaware
06-02-2009, 09:48 PM
They're great. Wish we could get fabric like that here.... the polar fleece is just regular, and pretty rough stuff generally. Have you ever seen the Jalie pants pattern, they have a full zip training pant. Jalie.com I think is the address
I got the fabric over the Internet as the local stores do not carry good fabric. I do have some Jalie patterns but my tried-and-true for leggings is Kwik-Sew. It didn't take much to add a side zipper. That's about all I can handle without a pattern tho.

Skate@Delaware
06-02-2009, 09:51 PM
Wow, pretty nifty. Always wanted to learn to sew but I can't bear the thought of wasting yards of fabric practicing...
Thanks! You can practice on stuff yard sale goods-cut up for the fabric or old sheets, blankets etc whatever's handy

Kat12
06-03-2009, 06:15 AM
I thought about that, too...but then if I DON'T ruin it, I won't want to wear it if I don't like the fabric. Though I suppose I could just take it back apart and have myself a fabric version of the pattern?

I wonder if one could donate the scrap fabric to the animal shelter for making cages snuggly once one's done practicing on it?

kayskate
06-03-2009, 08:04 AM
I've made lots of jazz pants and fitted stretch pants for skating and exercise wear. I use Kwik Sew patterns for most of this. They come out great.

Here is one of my favs.

http://www.kwiksew.com/catalog/cat_detail.cfm?pid=2632&QL=MissLeotards

Kay

SkatEn
06-03-2009, 01:35 PM
Coming from someone who has not operated a sewing machine in my 18 years of life, I have to say the pants look really difficult. But you managed the tapered part rather well!

Now, I know many of you here sew. Is it possible for a total beginner who can't tell what's a serger or zig zag to actually make a dress or anything from a sewing pattern? I really want to get a sewing machine, but I don't want to get it, then try to make something and fail, and then not wear whatever I tried to make.

Somewhat like in Kat12's situation haha.

I think it'll be cool to sew your own dress, and yeah, modify it as and when you want etc...

Skittl1321
06-03-2009, 01:56 PM
I really enjoyed sewing dresses, but then I realized I'm not really that good at it, and I'd rather spend my money skating than learning how to be better at sewing.

kayskate
06-03-2009, 02:09 PM
Now, I know many of you here sew. Is it possible for a total beginner who can't tell what's a serger or zig zag to actually make a dress or anything from a sewing pattern? I really want to get a sewing machine, but I don't want to get it, then try to make something and fail, and then not wear whatever I tried to make.

I would strongly recommend starting w something simple like a skirt or shorts in a cotton woven w an elastic waist. Some fabric shops have cheap classes. I have never tried these since I have sewn since I was a kid. However, they would at least get you used to a sewing machine and you could start making a pillow or tote bag.

BTW, you don't need a serger to sew stretch fabric. A zig zag stitch works fine.

Kay

LilJen
06-03-2009, 02:41 PM
I've been very pleased with what I've gotten from spandexworld.com. Lots of different types of stretch fabrics. They do send out free samples (you get a little square about 2x2 inches), so you can have an idea of how thick/heavy the material is before buying.

I'm gonna have to try to make some pants of my own. It's so hit or miss when I go looking for new ones--so many odd styles out there and nothing seems to fit quite right. . . so if I can tailor a pattern to fit my odd shape, then I'll be set!

sk8lady
06-03-2009, 05:17 PM
I've been very pleased with what I've gotten from spandexworld.com. !

Thanks for the directions to Spandex World! I usually use Lycra World. They are not the same thing!!

Skate@Delaware
06-04-2009, 07:28 AM
Coming from someone who has not operated a sewing machine in my 18 years of life, I have to say the pants look really difficult. But you managed the tapered part rather well!

Somewhat like in Kat12's situation haha.

I think it'll be cool to sew your own dress, and yeah, modify it as and when you want etc...

Thanks! They actually weren't too difficult to figure out the tapered part (had to think about the HOW)...I put my skates on and measured around the ankle part of my boot, I also measured the outseam (outside part from hip to bottom of my skate which was easier to do when you are by yourself).

I would also recommend started small & easy-there are patterns from Simplicity & others for "learning to sew" that teach you techniques. Once you've sewn a bit and feel comfortable, you can "graduate" on to stretch stuff. You don't need a serger but you do need a zig-zag machine.

Trust me-I have made LOTS of things that I've never worn (ended up in my rag bag)....even my seamstress friend (sewing for 30+ years) has "mistakes" as well so we are all in good company!

I found this on youtube from expert village about basic seams, from there you can find other related videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25mY1kPfIUg&feature=channel_page

I like Kwik-Sew patterns because they fit me so well, without any modification for my length.