View Full Version : Summer Sunshine or Sunburn! 6/1 - 6/7

Skate@Delaware
06-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Hey, no one started a practice thread-everyone must be at Obersdorf!!! Good luck and I know everyone there is having fun!

Sunburn: today's practice was CHAOS but I wasn't participating, I was in lesson...but it was really crowded & loud on the ice (and annoying)

Sunshine: I not only did multiple backspins correctly (in front of my coach) but I did manage to land about 3 loops; did a few change-foot spins (which work better from the full wind-up...go figure!)

Bad Sunburn: A few loops were really wonky and I didn't know what went wrong...landed on my side...kersplat!

Sunshine: Did some flips and I can go about 1/2 way around (I'm 2-footing them for now, which is ok with me and coach). They are strange, but I like them.

renatele
06-01-2009, 09:24 PM
Sunshine: passed Adult Gold Moves today!

Sunburn: given the above - no sunburn :)

Debbie S
06-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Congratulations, renatele! :bow:

I'm hoping to pass that test....someday. :)

Any interesting comments to share?

renatele
06-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Congratulations, renatele! :bow:

I'm hoping to pass that test....someday. :)

Any interesting comments to share?

Thank you!! I was a nervous wreck today. Interesting comments... well, no really interesting ones on my test papers, but after the test, judges asked me to tell my coach "not bad for an old man" :) (teasing him)

(long test report on livejournal)

dbny
06-02-2009, 01:30 AM
passed Adult Gold Moves today!

x CONGRATULATIONS! x

Thin-Ice
06-02-2009, 02:15 AM
sunshine: passed adult gold moves today!

sunburn: given the above - no sunburn :)

congratulations!!!!

katz in boots
06-02-2009, 03:39 AM
Well this really belongs in last week's thread, but it takes me a few days to process the whole experience.

sunshine
despite my usual terror, complete with heart palpitations, frequent toilet visits, shaking hands & knees, and complete freak out, I again managed to take to the ice for a competition. This time for our State Championships, Pre-Primary Solo Dance. Just by forcing myself into doing it, I became a State Champion, because I was the only one in my division. :D

Sunburn
I ask myself how many times can I do this? It is so terrifying for me.
I love competitions, just hate actually skating in them.

Failed my Elementary 2 Dance test the next day (swing dance & fiesta tango). Felt pretty horrible, turned into a full-on cold later that day. Didn't skate well. The judge said 'not ready to test', but she also went on to say that our rink is too small to test the Swing Dance anyway, and so my coach also didn't get a pass.

Sunshine
Proud of myself, as always, for getting out there and doing it.

Mrs Redboots
06-02-2009, 05:56 AM
Congratulations, Renatele & Katz on your respective triumphs, and commiserations, Katz, on failing Elementary 2 (I, too, struggle with those dances and would love to be ready to test them, but know I'm not and may never be!).

Sunshine: We are here at Villard de Lans doing the skating camp, which is lovely. No visiting coaches this year, but we are still doing a lot of useful work, and I am pleased that so far, I have been able to do nearly everything I've been asked to do, even if slowly and rather tentatively. And when it hasn't happened, I've known why, and what I was doing wrong.

Sunburn: Exhaustion!!!!! I hope I get my second wind soon....

Skate@Delaware
06-02-2009, 06:59 AM

Congratulations!!!!

liz_on_ice
06-02-2009, 08:32 AM
sunburned - I popped my hip joint hard on Thursday, just bopping aruond my LR to music and it's still sore. I've been babying it which means I've been losing skating time right before the ISI comp. I practiced this morning, and was pretty stiff. Oh, and I just got my skates sharpened, way too close to the comp for comfort but it was a desperate case. The plan had been to skate on them a lot this past weekend, but you can see how that plan went. :roll:
My hip is stiff, I couldn't get up into a spiral and my sit spin was barely recognizeable.

To top it off I cought my toepick in, doing nothing at all, just skating to warmup and took a good long slide across the rink. :giveup:

Sunshine - I did do some nice springy jumps so it wasn't a total loss.

Petlover
06-02-2009, 02:09 PM
CONGRATULATIONS RENATELE AND KATZ!!!!!!! Good job, both of you.

Sunshine: After head congestion last week, I have my balance back, and my spins are great for me. My endurance seems to be back also. Runthroughs of 3 of my programs were great, and the kids on the ice loved my ISI footwork program to Last Name by Carrie Underwood - it's just plain fun! Flip was decent, Loops 2 and 3 were great.

Sunburn: Showed coach my proposed new beginning to my pre-bronze program and I don't think she really liked it. She likes the elements, just not the pattern - so I know she will make it harder. Oh well, it's good for me, sigh.....

Kat12
06-02-2009, 05:21 PM
All sunburn, all the time lately, and not just about practicing.

Aside from the setbacks of the former practice thread about not getting much time to skate OR try to look for new/old skates this weekend as I'd planned, I am not happy with my recent order of soakers and skate guards (sure I could've gotten both locally, but I have my heart set on a certain color of skate guards that aren't available locally). I ordered them on 5/19. Kept wondering why I didn't receive notice that they shipped. On 5/25--yes, almost a week later--they emailed me to tell me they didn't have my preferred color in stock (why did it take so long?). So I wrote them back the same day. Didn't hear back on the 26th, nor the 27th, so on the 28th I called them and had them substitute another color instead. Today is 6/2 and I STILL haven't received a shipping notice and STILL their site tells me my order status is "on hold." I could've WALKED to somewhere that had my color of skate guards by now...the only reason I haven't canceled the order altogether and ordered from a site that has my first-choice color for guards is that this place is the only one that has the really nifty color of soakers I want. Not cool. I'm used to most online businesses, which tend to ship the day after they receive the order or sometimes two days after, so to be two weeks later and still my order isn't even shipped and who knows if they even have the kinks straightened out...wow.

There, just had to get that out. This is, apparently, just not my week or two for ANYTHING skating-related, blegh. Hopefully next weekend will be much, much better.

doubletoe
06-02-2009, 05:36 PM
Renatele and Katz, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Kim to the Max
06-02-2009, 05:48 PM
[Sunburnt]

Tried to drop my skates off last Tuesday to get fixed (2 hooks were popping out) and missed my skate lady by minutes. Gave my skates to a friend to drop off the next day, and he didn't drop them off until Thursday :frus: which meant that my skates weren't ready today :( so I had to cancel my lesson and take yet another day off...grrrr...I hate that... I will hopefully have my skates tomorrow and coach is going to text me if she has a cancellation for Thursday...I will be there anyway, but it will be nice to know if I'm having a lesson prior to getting there :)

[Sunshiney Sunburn]

I ordered a new pair of boots today (shelling out the deposit today was almost as painful as the price tag which is probably going to total about $650 8O). I probably still have a few months left in these, but knowing that it will take 6-8 weeks to get new boots, I figured that I would order them and if they get here before the current boots bite the dust, we can just hold them...better to have them than not. The lady who owns the shop couldn't really believe that I had gone through those skates in a year...neither can I, but I had figured that that was going to to be the life of them....I am just very hard on skates, and I skate 4-5 times a week doing axels, double sals, (and now double toes), and junior moves...

But, I was smart this time....I am in Harlick Finalists (the stiffest stock boot I can get) and when I first get them, they are like rocks, but...this time I asked the lady to order them with a flex notch :)

[Sunshine]
Because I couldn't go skating, I went for a run today :)

Kim to the Max
06-02-2009, 05:49 PM
Renatele:
Congratulations!!

Skate@Delaware
06-02-2009, 07:17 PM
Sunburn: Went skating today, at a rare public session (they haven't had any on Tuesdays but since the rink is closing in less than 2 weeks, well, they added them). I got there and the door was LOCKED!!! I called and the manager said she doesn't unlock the door until 15 minutes before the session (strange, I've been there at least an hour before most sessions start).

Sunshine: altho it took me a bit to get my act together, it was nice having the whole place to myself (for the first hour). I landed 5 loops correctly (yay) and managed some nice backspins. Worked on the flip exercise and did some change foot spins.

Sunburn: I gave up on the flip when I started doing the 1/2 flip (don't want to start landing jumps on the wrong leg, do I 8O???)

I wore my new pants (that I made) today and man, by the time I got off the ice, I was HOT!!!!! It was a nice feeling! No icey toes, no bunion ache, no chattering teeth!!!! I put a sparkly design on them, and put a bigger matching one on my jacket. So, now the Ice Queen (my rink's name for us older women) has a sparkly pink crown design on her clothing!!! :lol:

liz_on_ice
06-03-2009, 11:47 AM
Sunshine - hip felt better than yesterday, I think I'll be fine, or close enough, by Sunday. Last lesson before competition, coach had nothing but nitpicky stuff to say, which is a good sign :)

Sunburn - Summer coach is away for a couple of weeks just as Winter coach starts vacation. I'll be lessonless for a while. I really wanted to get started in USFSA test prep right after the competition. Oh well, an enforced break will rest my hip and my wallet

Petlover
06-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Sunshine: Ice has been phenomally wonderful all week, and now that school is out, I get to see my skating buddies again. Programs were great, flip and loop worked, and change foot spin just felt so wonderful.

Sunburn: Canasta Tango timing was just slightly off. I skated 5 patterns and didn't get one pattern that I was completely satisfied with the timing. This is weird, because usually timing is my strong point and form is my weak point. Oh well, I'll put the music on again tomorrow and keep working on it.

LilJen
06-03-2009, 02:57 PM
Sunshine: I guess I'm making some progress on some of the silver moves--8-step I am nearly able to skate up to speed with only a minor "SCRATCH!" on step 4. BO 3s are getting better, too. Sals are getting more solid. Focusing on keeping my shoulders down and butt tucked under is, strangely, helping with spins. Fwd Xstrokes getting more solid and back x-strokes making progress.

Sunburn: I don't think I'm getting much height at all on toe-loops. Will check out with coach next lesson. Still slow as molasses on power pulls, both F and B, and BI 3s are laughable much of the time.

Funny that several of us are wrestling with Swing and Fiesta Tango. I guess Dance Buddy and I haven't really spent htat much time on the Swing, because it stinks. Mostly because our partnering stinks. I know we have posture problems, hold problems, unison problems, but it's going to take a good bit of work to get it test ready. Fiesta Tango is getting there--not as hard from a partnering standpoint. If we can get away from the tendency to "lurch" (coach's phrase--our bodies are trying too hard to lead, rather than letting the blades carry us) we'll do fine.

phoenix
06-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Sunburn: Worked on Starlight Waltz in lesson today--wow, that one's going to take a LOT of work to get it test-ready!! I have issues all over the place with that dance.

Sunshine: Sweet coach came in to teach me even though he hurt his back so badly it hurts him to walk. What a guy!! :bow:

Kim to the Max
06-03-2009, 04:08 PM
[Sunshine]
I got my skates back today!! With bright shiny brass hooks that aren't falling out!

But....

[Sunburn]
I didn't get them until 4:30pm, and the session I normally skate on Wednesdays is from 4-5:30pm and then public until 6:15pm....now, I probably could have pushed it and gotten on the ice for 45 minutes, but when I go skating, I like to SKATE and 45 minutes isn't enough for me to get everything in....particularly because I want to do moves, along with axels, 2 sal, and the beginnings of a 2 toe....I need at least an hour and a half...so, I'm just going to take today off and add in Friday and/or Saturday this week to make up for the lost time :)

Kat12
06-03-2009, 05:05 PM
Sunshine: The ice was beautiful today--looked freshly Zamboni'd--and it was MINE ALL MINE FOR THE WHOLE HOUR! Yay.

Sunburn: I suck at skating with a capital S-U-C-K. My edges and crossovers are crap like you wouldn't believe. I don't feel like I am getting better at all. And I dunno what the deal is, but my blades sound scratchier lately, as if they're skidding the tiniest bit, esp. on edges (and I know they ARE skidding sometimes on edges, in a big way). They can't be getting dull already (and I tested one on my thumbnail and still scraped some up) so I must just not be balancing correctly. Grr. It's very discouraging, and has been for the past couple of weeks. Now, mind you, I've NEVER been the sort of person who's good at physical things (I'm a crappy dancer too); music, writing, etc. have always been more my forte. So I need to decide whether it's worth continuing (BEFORE I shell out for new skates in a couple weeks) or if I should give it up before I put too much time and money into it. It's fun, and it's not like I ever thought I'd be very good or anything, but it stops being fun when it feels like I can't do even the basic stuff right. I don't know if it's because I don't have someone to watch me and correct me, or if it's my skates, or if it's just me.

And, when working on skating crossovers in a circle, I TOTALLY wiped out. Usually when I fall I have time to think "oh sh*t" and try to bail, but this time I was skating...skating...then I was spread-eagled on the ice. I vaguely remember the impression of my blade slipping out from under me. I hit mostly on my left elbow and right hip, and had to nurse the pain for a couple minutes before I could really get going again! The elbow hurts still--the rink dudes saw me bite it and asked me how my elbow was after I came off the ice, so it must've been pretty obvious I hit that elbow hard. It's going to have a lovely bruise tomorrow. And so I think it's time to look into elbow pads as this is the second time I've fallen and hit my elbow. Not entirely sure how that's going to work with my sleeves as I usually push my sleeves up as I get warm, so over the sleeves might not work so well, but my sleeves are also tight enough that I'm not sure if elbow pads would fit underneath. For all that I religiously wear my knee pads when I skate...I've never fallen on my knees, lol.

Bill_S
06-03-2009, 06:30 PM
... For all that I religiously wear my knee pads when I skate...I've never fallen on my knees, lol.

...until the day you forget them!

Why, oh, why does fate deal us such irony? :roll:

Hope the bruise goes down. I've managed whoppers EVEN THOUGH I was wearing pads on my elbows. Makes me think that I would have lost an elbow had I not worn them.

Sunburn: Won't even get to practice on PIC skates this week. It's the last week of classes here at the university, and last-minute activities are scheduled into the evenings. Can't duck out of them to skate. Drat!

ibreakhearts66
06-04-2009, 02:17 AM
Sunshine
-All of my jumps have been great. Double sals are getting bigger and bigger, as are double toes and loops. 2flips are feeling really solid and feel like they're getting bigger as well. 2lutz is reappearing after going into hiding as we reworked the technique.
-LANDED SOME 2AXELS! They weren't totally clean and slightly two footed, but not the type of two footed where you slam your left foot down and obviously had no chance of checking out. This was just a very slight left two down as I checked out. Had some more that were on 1 foot that I sat down on (and those were on the quarter!)
-Am seeing improvement in all of my Novice moves except the quick rocker choctaws.
-Program runthroughs are becoming ALMOST clean.

Sunshine
-1 horrible fall yesterday straight onto my left hip, two more today, then a third after I'd put my hip pad in. First one was on a 2lutz, second one was on quick rocker choctaws :roll: Tried to turn my blade instead of letting the edge do the work, but the blade stopped sideways instead of turning all the way forwards. Staying on all fours for a couple of seconds while people asked if I was ok. I said, "yeah....well...no not really." Third one was on a double loop where I forgot how to rotate and turned of my left side instead of my right (loop is the ONLY jump I do that on) and then finally, double axel.

-Stuck in skater's limbo. I was planning on doing the Cactus Classic, but applications are due June 10th. I'm testing Intermediate June 20th. Since I only have my juv free, skating up would be Intermediate, but I'm too OLD for that! I'm really bummed. I wanted to use it as a regionals test run type competition, but I also just wanted to COMPETE! I haven't competed since September when I came in last in pre-juv (and THAT was skating up a level from preliminary). I emailed the competition chair, but the referee was unwilling to make an exception and either let me skate up two levels or let me compete at Intermediate while over the age limit. I can't wait to get my Intermediate tested.

Skate@Delaware
06-04-2009, 08:05 AM
Kat12, maybe you should get your skates sharpened again anyway...even tho they still feel ok. It might be it was done slightly off-centered (depending on how it's put into the machine and you might have less edge on the inside than you should).

Sunburn: no skating today, as I need a day off! Son & I went to a water park yesterday (school field trip) and it was HOT & SUNNY and altho I'm not fried, I'm still slightly dehydrated and need to recover (btw, we had a blast!).

I will skate tomorrow at the public session and stay through till lessons (thats 3 hours total of skating 8O).

Petlover
06-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Sunburn: Canasta Tango was still off this morning. I did try to work on my posture, and that helped. Of course, when I show Coach how bad it is in my lesson tomorrow, it will be fine as usual.

Sunshine: Footwork and Artistic programs felt great this morning. And the change foot spin was wonderful twice in a row, YAY.

jazzpants
06-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Sunshine: passed Adult Gold Moves today!

Sunburn: given the above - no sunburn :)

YAAAAAAY!!!! Renatele!!!! YOU ROCK!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/frech/k010.gif http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/frech/k020.gif http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/frech/k015.gif http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/frech/k030.gif

(You too, Katz!!! :bow: http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/frech/k030.gif )

I only hope I can get thru SILVER Moves... Fat chance, given the circumstances... :frus: That said...

Sunburn:

Well, job hunt still sucks, so no lessons. :cry:
I had strain my IT Bands on my right knee. Sit spins now is temporarily suspended 'til that heals. And for those who know my trainer -- yes, I am still rolling on the sides of my legs towards the IT band with a foam roller! My guess though is that the hip flexor stretches are the culprit. :??

Sunshine:

Still skating about 2-3x a week on the afternoon public session.
I'm starting to see some improvements on the 8 step mohawks, though I still need to work on FO mohawks on one side.
Spirals aren't as sucky now either, though still sucky... :P

Kat12
06-04-2009, 05:25 PM
If I don't get new skates in a couple weeks, I might get them re-sharpened. If I do, not gonna bother. :)

More sunburn: my beautiful rink won't be having the after-school sessions anymore once school is out in a couple weeks. *sniffle* There goes my mid-week skating...now I'm going to have to try to schedule each weekend again so I can skate local rinks and hope they're not too crowded. Grr. And, my skate guards/soakers STILL have not shipped. I might call them tomorrow and see if there's a problem. And, I will not be able to skate this weekend at all.

More sunshine: Elbow feels a teensy bit better (esp. if i don't bump it) and there's no huge bruise (though I feel like if I had to fall that hard, I should at least have a nifty bruise to show off!).

Kim to the Max
06-04-2009, 08:27 PM
[Sunshine]
I got to skate today!!!! Yay!!!!

[Sunburn]
I could feel that I hadn't skated in a week and a half. It took me a while to get back into it. I hate that feeling of having to get the rust off...

[Sunshine]
Axels were okay...I was able to do quite a few where I didn't pull out early...now I just need to make it a habit.

[Sunburn]
All the progress I made with my 2 sal has gone out the window :( that's what sucks about not skating for so long!

[Sunshine]
Program run-thru was actually okay....I did the axel (cheated, but still!) and didn't pop it or chicken out which is good!!

[Sunburn]
My spins were complete crap...I couldn't center anything!! Part of it is being off the ice, the other part is that coach was trying to "fix" them a bit and that has screwed up my positions until I figure it out....

[Sunshine]
I worked on my single toeloops today as well as coach's evil drill...didn't try to rotate any doubles, but working on the single is good...tomorrow I may try to rotate when I am on the ice alone :)

PinkLaces
06-04-2009, 11:38 PM
Congrats Renatele and Katz! Way to go!!!!!!

Kat12 - hope your elbow is better.

Tuesday

Sunshine: An extra session was added on Tuesday so I got extra lesson time with my coach. She is usually too full. We actually had time to work on FS stuff instead of just Moves.

Sunburn: coach recorded my sit spin. It's more dismal than I thought. Sigh.

Thursday

Sunshine: Something my DD said to me tonight made my toe loop finally click and it's a toe waltz no longer. Well, if I get any speed it reverts, but when I'm concentrating it's a toe loop. Yea!

Sunburn: My skates are super dull. Moves were tough tonight. Hopefully, Scotty or Paul will be working tomorrow so I can have them sharpened. I trust no one else.

dbny
06-04-2009, 11:50 PM
Sunshine:
I had the best ice dance lesson today! Got on the ice to teach, and knew immediately it was going to be a good day. This is in spite of the fact that I've had no time to practice for the entire last week. After the first run through of the Dutch Waltz, my coach made a positive comment, and asked what I'd been doing, and said to keep doing it. We did two more of the Dutch Waltz, the the Canasta Tango, then my coach said he needed a minute to rest 8O. I was fine! Did the Rhythm Blues twice and he said we should start a new dance and suggested the Swing Dance. Well, he does not remember any of these easy dances and went to get the diagram, so I convinced him we should to the Fiesta Tango instead, because I know it and the steps are the same for both of us. As far as I'm concerned the whole dance is the end pattern, meaning once I can do that with confidence, I'll own that dance. We worked on just the end pattern for a while, doing it slowly, and doing the mohawk with arms extended, which I like a lot. I was quite surprised to find the mohawk was not a problem for me at all! I do need to practice the B progressives, but my biggest concern there is how close we are. I do not want to ever clip his skate, or catch his pants leg. That would be a very bad fall.

My dear friend from CA is staying with me for our 40th college reunion this week, and came along this morning, and watched my lesson. She doesn't skate and had never seen me skate before. She was really impressed, and said it was beautiful. It reminded me of how I felt the first few weeks, like I was being dragged around at a frightful speed, and always in dire fear of pitching forward, or catching a toe pick and doing a face plant. That's all gone now :P8-).

Sunburn:
One of my young friends on the coaching staff is no longer coaching. I'm going to miss her a lot.

Thin-Ice
06-05-2009, 02:04 AM
Sunshine: My dear friend from CA is staying with me for our 40th college reunion this week, and came along this morning, and watched my lesson. She doesn't skate and had never seen me skate before. She was really impressed, and said it was beautiful. It reminded me of how I felt the first few weeks, like I was being dragged around at a frightful speed, and always in dire fear of pitching forward, or catching a toe pick and doing a face plant. That's all gone now :P8-).

What a completely cool way to put things in perspective -- comparing that scared to death feeling with enjoying skating! Congratulations!

Sunshine: My coach finished the choreography for a footwork program for ISI Worlds (one minute, no jumps more than a half-revolution, no spins more than two revolutions) -- which are being held about an hour from my house at the end of next month. It's REALLLLY cute when she does it, and I can recycle a costume.

Sunburn: It's reallllly cute when SHE does it. The whole idea behind doing this event is to get me to practice footwork and be comfortable doing more of it. I'm not sure this is working very well. In theory, I can do everything she put in this program. In reality, I'm still thinking too much about what is in it, what comes next and then botching something that's supposed to be really easy. I even had her take out the snowplow stop near the end, because I kept feeling like I was going to go right into a faceplant.:roll: I'm hoping by the end of this month, I might have some of that feeling DBNY is talking about -- just feeling good on the ice! And laughing at how much of a scaredy-cat I am right now.

londonicechamp
06-05-2009, 02:22 AM
Hi

Renatele and Katz, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Sunshine: Had my first lesson yesterday mid afternoon. Coach asked me to show her basics such as forward stroking, forward and backward crossovers, and inside and outside 3 turns. She said that they are stable, just that:

Sunburn: I need more power and extension of arms.

More sunshine: Managed to do scratch spin properly after the ice was resurfaced. When my lesson finished, it was ice resurfacing time. Coach taught me how to do waltz jump from moving position. Told me to work on scratch spin and waltz jump from moving position before my next lesson on tuesday next week (9 June). As I was learning jumps and spins, my lesson area was coned off. :D 2 idiot teenagers ended up in my lesson area, for a short while. Made a new friend too. :bow:

Coach at first wanted me to sharpen my blades as feels that some of my movements are a bit weird. I told her that I have a spare pair of skates in Singapore (where I move to for good now) and have not had that sharpened for ages. Coach then asked me to show her some edge work. She said that that is fine, no need to have my blades sharpen at the moment, as otherwise she is afraid that I am going to lose my edges. :roll:

Did not fall at all. :D

More sunburn: Some idiot boy (non skater) on ice skating frame not looking at where he was going, nearly killed himself and me. :twisted: Also, a teenage boy on ice hockey was just standing in the middle area, where I was practising my scratch spin. He was just standing there, not doing anything really. :?? With the exception that every time when I was about to do my spin, he would all of a sudden skated very fast in front of me. :giveup: Also the school holidays in the next 3 weeks, rink pretty packed with school children lol. :cry:

londonicechamp

Isk8NYC
06-05-2009, 08:11 AM

c o n g r a t u l a t i o n s ! ! !

Isk8NYC
06-05-2009, 08:13 AM
...I became a State Champion...That's all you have to say, leave the rest out next time.

Bravo! Well Done ! !

Petlover
06-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Sunburn: showed my Canasta Tango to coach today, and she agreed that it's my posture that's causing me problems. So we worked without the music and got the posture good, but as soon as the music went on, the posture degraded. Phew, I've got a lot of work ahead of me.

Sunshine: Great lesson today! My first change foot spin was bad, coach immediately knew why and explained it, my next 2 were great. One of my loops actually had some air time for a change!

I hope every one has a wonderful weekend.

LilJen
06-05-2009, 08:37 PM
Petlover, I do the same thing: my posture can start out excellent but it regresses as I keep skating. Fatigue is a big thing--good posture takes a nutty amount of energy.

Sunshine: back 3s much better today after lighting upon a tip in Petkevich's book. My coach had actually said the same thing ages ago but I didn't 'get' it then. So, yay for progress!

Sunburn: power pulls really crummy today. Don't know when these are magically going to start improving, but whatever. . . I still think my toe-loops stink. Yeah, I rotate them, yeah, I get off the ice, but they're just totally wimpy. Salchows still inconsistent, but getting more comfortable with them. 8-step still showing the 1-2-3-SCRATCH!-5-6-7-8. Tough session today to practice moves anyhow--seemed like there were 3 or 4 of us trying to do moves patterns at the same time and we were all getting in each other's way :)

Skate@Delaware
06-06-2009, 10:05 AM
This is for last night, I got home late and exhausted (woke up with a migraine today).

Sunshine: The show routine for one number was finally finished, and I like it. No stupid low-level waist trains and swizzles....we get spins, jumps, etc! Anyway, I like it and now we have to bust you-know-what to get it memorized for next weekend's shows!!!!

Backspin seems to have stuck around, in lesson the instructor gave more tips that helped. Although I'm keeping the free leg more to the front, I'm not committed to hooking the 3-turn and "going for it" as he says. yeah. I know that but I feel that it will come in time.

We learned a new jump as well: the split jump! And altho there was a moment of akwardness when the instructor was incredulous that I did NOT know it came from a 1/2 flip (yeah, really) I managed to actually GET the jump! This will be one to work on (off-ice) over the summer!

Sunburn: The snack bar was closed for the evening (from public skate on) so that's 4 hours....and my son ate the snack out of my skate bag (he did say he was very sorry) so I had NO FOOD!!!! I was ok tho, but had to stop somehwere on my way home. Woke up this morning with a burning migraine so if this post doesn't make sense, I'm under the influence of my medications.

No yoga class today, no skating either. Son has his music recital (shocked me when he said he would do it!) and we are taking it easy. He is done with school (7th grade) and I'm letting him have a few days "off" hahaha:twisted: before we start doing stuff.

Debbie S
06-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Sunburn: Caught a toepick this morning and took a very graceful splat on my left knee (and I think my right elbow hit the ice at some point). I iced it and got back on the ice, but now I have this large red bump. I also iced it when I got home. I hope it's OK by Tuesday, my next skating day.

Forward power circles are evil! :twisted:

Sunshine: I can't be completely certain, but I think I may have done a BI double 3-turn with the correct placement. My independent investigator...er...coach will have to confirm on Tuesday, assuming I can skate. And I also did a BO bracket where I had enough speed afterward to get back to the axis, and no foot down. Woohoo! I might just pass Gold MIF someday, lol.

liz_on_ice
06-07-2009, 08:09 PM
Sunshine - I won both my events at the ISI comp today! I was the only entrant in the spotlight, but had two other ladies in FS3.

Sunburn - I kissed Winter Coach goodbye till next October. Summer Coach is away this week and next, so no lessons. Probably just as well, that money will pay for the competition DVD. :P

RachelSk8er
06-07-2009, 09:56 PM
SUMMER SUNSHINE!!!: Good news....just found out turnout on the 7am sessions originally reserved for intermediate+ kids training for regionals had a low turnout, so I've been given permission to get on them and skate before work! Yes!!!!

My week-long hiatus from skating ends this week now that we're back in gear with summer ice starting tomorrow. (Granted, we had our usual early morning ice last week but my asthma was really acting up so I opted for working out in warmer environments rather than skating.)

katz in boots
06-08-2009, 03:25 AM
Sunshine
now that competition & dance test is over, I am free! No more Swing Dance or Fiesta Tango and I must say I am relieved.

I am changing coaches and the new coach doesn't do dance.
My previous coach is overseas to participate in Mountain Cup, new coach interstate with skaters at a comp.

This means that this weekend I was free to do whatever I wanted, however I wanted. No having to do it someone else's way, so I'll enjoy it while I can. :lol:

Skate@Delaware
06-08-2009, 08:00 AM
This is for yesterday (I braved a public session):

sunshine: it wasn't as crowded as I thought it might be and altho there were some reckless hockey boys, I mostly had a section of the rink to myself. Most of the kids were in the center, where a bunch of zamboni scrapings were dumped so kids could play in the "snow". It was nice to watch and no snowballs were tossed at me.

I ran through everything I knew, and for the most part, things were good. Landed a few loops either 2-footed or on one-foot; flips are still working through and landed some 1/2 rotated on two feet; spins were good and did some change-foot spins.

Sunburn: I only stayed for 2 hours, as they said they were not going to zamboni the ice and by then it was pretty messed up (the session was scheduled from 2-6 pm). Found out that the rink is charging people $1.00 to "rent" the cones that kids push around. So far, helmets are free but if they charge for them, parents won't use them (not that many do but whatever).

Wasn't able to backspin as well as I have been but I didn't hit them until later in my session so maybe I was getting tired.

Petlover
06-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Congratulations liz on ice!!!!

RachelSk8er
06-08-2009, 04:18 PM
Sunshine:

Just got an email from Del. One of my new dresses shipped today. YIPPEE!!! This weekend, I can go stone shopping for that dress and the cocktail-turned-dance dress I'm reconstructing!!

AgnesNitt
06-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Sunburn: I went to a new rink yesterday with the Big Guy so he could take a lesson. While he was finishing up, I was at the far end practicing my RFO3. The ice (it's the ice's fault of course) had not been cut since the morning, it was now 2 pm. My toe pick caught on a rough patch left by some speed skater practicing short starts and I guess the lower toepick just dug in. Anyway my foot stopped rotating and my body kept rotating. I'm so putting patch blades on my boots.

I had to be lifted off the ice (again!), unlike several months ago, I could not get back up and skate. I had to have someone pull off my boot. After a few minutes I could put my weight on the foot so it's not broken. I was escorted out of the rink in an office chair.

My ankle is now purple on all sides. That means (I looked this up) I sprained the deltoid ligament, anterior talofibular ligament, posterior talofibular ligament, calcaneo fibular ligament, and some ligaments that appear only to have a speaking acquaintance with people who have attended medical school.

aussieskater
06-08-2009, 07:31 PM
My ankle is now purple on all sides. That means (I looked this up) I sprained the deltoid ligament, anterior talofibular ligament, posterior talofibular ligament, calcaneo fibular ligament, and some ligaments that appear only to have a speaking acquaintance with people who have attended medical school.

Oowww! Poor you! And right as your old rink was closing too :cry:. Look after yourself. ((AgnesNitt))

dbny
06-09-2009, 08:49 AM
(((((AgnesNitt)))))

The fact that you can stand on it does not necessarily mean nothing is broken. You probably already know that you should see a doctor anyway, but sprains can be very difficult and take a long time to heal. Go to a specialist - an orthopedic surgeon, and get the ankle evaluated and treated.

I won both my events at the ISI comp today! I was the only entrant in the spotlight, but had two other ladies in FS3.

CONGRATULATIONS!

AgnesNitt
06-09-2009, 02:18 PM
Thanks dbny and aussieskater. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow.

But I feel like such a drama queen over the last few months: cancer, rink closed, wrenched ankle. Check, check, check. I'm afraid to mention my dishwasher failed too. :roll:

Isk8NYC
06-09-2009, 02:20 PM
That's three! You've used up your quota of "bad things" so may only good luck come your way for the rest of the year!

Petlover
06-09-2009, 02:25 PM
Thanks dbny and aussieskater. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow.

But I feel like such a drama queen over the last few months: cancer, rink closed, wrenched ankle. Check, check, check. I'm afraid to mention my dishwasher failed too. :roll:

Sending good luck your way, you've earned it!

LilJen
06-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Sunburn: I went to a new rink yesterday with the Big Guy so he could take a lesson. While he was finishing up, I was at the far end practicing my RFO3. The ice (it's the ice's fault of course) had not been cut since the morning, it was now 2 pm. My toe pick caught on a rough patch left by some speed skater practicing short starts and I guess the lower toepick just dug in. Anyway my foot stopped rotating and my body kept rotating. I'm so putting patch blades on my boots.

I had to be lifted off the ice (again!), unlike several months ago, I could not get back up and skate. I had to have someone pull off my boot. After a few minutes I could put my weight on the foot so it's not broken. I was escorted out of the rink in an office chair.

YOWCH!!! That's how I broke my ankle--the toepick dug in, the rest of me kept moving, and SNAP! Hope the doctor had good news for you today.

sk8joyful
06-25-2009, 09:38 PM
Sunshine: The ice was beautiful today--looked freshly Zamboni'd--and it was MINE ALL MINE FOR THE WHOLE HOUR! Yay.

Sunburn: I suck at skating with a capital S-U-C-K. My edges and crossovers are crap. I don't feel like I am getting better at all. Grr. It's very discouraging, and has been for the past couple of weeks.

"weeks" (she says). This thread's a couple weeks old, but for you, it will get better quick! :)
then
there's some others of us :)

Now, mind you, I've NEVER been the sort of person who's good at physical things (I'm a crappy dancer too).

It definitely helps, having your preferred Rep-system strategy-for-skating be KINESTHETIC.

Mine is VISUAL, next Auditory, then Kinesthetic last. - but since I was a Snowskiier, gymnast, & sprinter as a wee-smaller kid, I have faith I can resurrect & transfer former ability skills, to skating...

Have you ever thought about this? for you...

It's fun, and it's not like I ever thought I'd be very good or anything,
but it stops being fun when it feels like I can't do even the basic stuff right.

One day I said to coach: "it'll be so wonderful, when I won't hafta practice Stroking... & Crossovers... anymore!" :D
and
she said: "Really?? ;) that will be the day you hang-up your skates, never to lace-up again!"

8O 8O ... :lol:

So, (hampered by circumstances beyond my control), plus accepting the fact that I will be practicing BASICS for quite some time, I just ENJOY... myself. - And funny thing, the more I let-go of >negative, judgmental< thoughts, the better off I am.

And, when working on skating crossovers in a circle, I TOTALLY wiped out. Usually when I fall I have time to think "oh sh*t" and try to bail, but this time I was skating...skating...then I was spread-eagled on the ice. I vaguely remember the impression of my blade slipping out from under me.
And so I think it's time to look into elbow pads as this is the second time I've fallen and hit my elbow.
For all that I religiously wear my knee pads when I skate...I've never fallen on my knees, lol.

At one point, I was so decked-out in pads, I looked like a real Egyptian-mummy. 8O
Finally, I had had enough, of all that restriction........, keeping me from practicing FXO's, right.

Yet, maybe inconspicuous gel-pads would be ok? - maybe think about this more?

Thanks for letting me chime in here. Enjoy your skating...... :)