View Full Version : Insights?

sk8ryellow
05-31-2009, 05:39 PM
Well we are all aware of the current normal standard competitive track for skating. What do you think about the whole doing axels and stuff at pre-prelimnary and prelimnary when that doesn't come till Juvenile and the whole Triple Salchow in your program at intermediate? Should it be allowed?

techskater
05-31-2009, 06:22 PM
It's competition and there are fair limits to them and everyone is working under the same set of rules. I used to see triple attempts in Juvenile before the current limits were set. As it is, if USFS wants COMPETITIVE skaters at the World level, this is what's required (and that IS the mission statement). If you want to compete with what's on the test, either skate test track or ISI as that's what they are both designed for

sk8ryellow
05-31-2009, 08:21 PM
thats a good insight!

RachelSk8er
06-01-2009, 07:21 AM
I'm glad there is now test track, I think that is a better solution than upping what is required on freestyle tests.

Things have changed SO much since I was a kid, even at the lower levels. I competed pre-pre and skated up in preliminary a few times as a kid before my parents made me choose between synchro and freestyle. I always won, and my program wasn't really much over the test requirements (I don't remember if I had a lutz and if I did it was a total flutz, I think at one point I got a camel sit but I never had a change of foot spin).

There is no way that would come close to winning today, kids competing pre-pre have axels and really good spins and I see prelim kids working on doubles.

Not to mention the flexibility that is emphasized much, much more than it used to be.

I don't really see it as a problem, just the natural progression and development of the sport. As long as there is a place for the kids who compete with the test requirements, I think it's fine. Everyone has different goals in skating, and not everyone wants to be the next Sasha Cohen.