View Full Version : News from Oberstdorf

Mrs Redboots
05-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Thought I'd start the thread. We have arrived safely, and when we visited the rink we met lots of friends who have also arrived. One hour until the draw starts.

skaternum
05-27-2009, 01:02 PM
Glad you made it safely, Annabel. Thanks for posting. Keep the news coming!

Isk8NYC
05-27-2009, 01:49 PM
Hope everyone gets there without incident! Clean skates, all around, I say!

herniated
05-27-2009, 02:35 PM
Have fun everyone!! Wish I were there.

Black Sheep
05-28-2009, 06:06 PM
Link to start orders and results, please? ;)

aussieskater
05-28-2009, 06:15 PM
Link to start orders and results, please? ;)

Just for you, Black Sheep ;)

http://www.deu-event.de/results/adult2009/

NoVa Sk8r
05-28-2009, 07:46 PM
http://www.deu-event.de/results/adult2009/SEG005.HTM
How did this person get a 14-point deduction? I hope it was from multiple time violations and not through falls!!! :o

sk8er1964
05-28-2009, 07:56 PM
How did this person get a 14-point deduction? I hope it was from multiple time violations and not through falls!!! :o

Had to be something other than falls - unless he fell in a combo, got up, and fell again. (((competitor)))

SkaterBird
05-28-2009, 10:28 PM
I am glad you arrived safely! Good luck to everyone who is skating!!!!!
Mimi

aussieskater
05-29-2009, 01:00 AM

Poor guy - I hope he's OK.

skatingpanda
05-29-2009, 03:47 AM

He skated for 3:47 in Gold (maximum 2:40). Since he was the only one in his category, he won anyway. He might even have done it on purpose, who knows...

coskater64
05-29-2009, 04:04 AM
The fellow was Russian and they have the same rules in Russia (I asked my friend Sasha and he said yes, and this fellow did skate at the Russian comp) but he chose to ignore them. He skated 63 seconds over the time limit landed possibly 5 jumps A, 2s, 2t, f, lz I think I saw a spin or 2, no transitons, 3 mohawks (choctaws) in a circle, I think this was the footwork sequence. We all just sat there, he was wearing white skates with black pants, and it was actually a very nice line. Overall, he did have one fall but yes, 13 points of the deduction was for time and then 1 pt for the fall. It was one of the more interesting things I have seen.

I tell ya the dancing here is pretty serious, Bronze does, 14 and Euro, Silver does the paso and the blues, and gold, the arge and the quick. Fiona and Michael took silver in Bronze and the pair that won was very good. Good dancing from the silver dancers as well, but the gold dancers all did a great job, those were some pretty hard core dances.

The young woman from Italy who won the gold ladies one free skate was very good, lovely flow in and out of her jumps, solid through 2 loop, easy axel and excellent speed. She also had very nice spins. Chow, who has a darling 15 month old little girl was back this year, she did a nice axel and skated very well, as always she has lovely lines and a nice ease across the ice. The other gold skaters all did very well, the gold ladies 2 will skate on Saturday. Today (Friday) is mostly the bronze and silver ladies groups, and the pairs, it is also the artistic for the gold and masters ladies.

The weather has been pretty nice, cool but nice. The rink seems a little colder than normal but nothing out of the ordinary. The crowd is a little more diverse and we have 3 skaters from Japan for the first time, and a lone skater from Ireland.

Miss ya!

Leslie

sk8er1964
05-29-2009, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the info, Leslie!

Mrs Redboots
05-29-2009, 03:41 PM
We've had some great skates, and some brave skates and some fun.... NickiT made her European debut with great style, and skated very well, although in a huge class where it would have been difficult for anybody who wasn't almost ready to move up to Gold to make an impression. And our one and only Flutzilla was even better on her European debut, and took Silver! We are proud of her.

Canada and Australia are dominant; the USA has only a small team and makes little noise.

They found an Irish flag today - it looks rather clean against the grubby flags of the other 21 or so nations taking part!

Black Sheep
05-29-2009, 06:07 PM
The young woman from Italy who won the gold ladies one free skate was very good, lovely flow in and out of her jumps, solid through 2 loop, easy axel and excellent speed. She also had very nice spins.

I thought double loops were outlawed in Gold FS--or is that just a USFS rule?

sk8er1964
05-29-2009, 06:41 PM
I thought double loops were outlawed in Gold FS--or is that just a USFS rule?

It's just a USFS rule.

NickiT
06-01-2009, 10:57 AM
We've had some great skates, and some brave skates and some fun.... NickiT made her European debut with great style, and skated very well, although in a huge class where it would have been difficult for anybody who wasn't almost ready to move up to Gold to make an impression. And our one and only Flutzilla was even better on her European debut, and took Silver! We are proud of her.

Thanks Annabel. I went out with no expectations, just wanted to have a go and enjoy the experience. It was an impossible class and the only thing I can say is that all I can do is work on improving my personal score over time. I certainly learned a lot from this competition. It was not only my first international but my first time competing with the IJS. Anyway thanks for the support and the tossies. The support from everyone was incredible!

Nicki

chowskates
06-08-2009, 03:18 AM
The young woman from Italy who won the gold ladies one free skate was very good, lovely flow in and out of her jumps, solid through 2 loop, easy axel and excellent speed. She also had very nice spins. Chow, who has a darling 15 month old little girl was back this year, she did a nice axel and skated very well, as always she has lovely lines and a nice ease across the ice. The other gold skaters all did very well, the gold ladies 2 will skate on Saturday.

Thanks, Leslie... For some reason the Axel wasn't feeling so nice when I was in the middle of it!

Anyway, how did Mountain Cup go? I sure miss Villard... Maybe next year :-)

flutzilla1
06-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Does anyone know the ETA of the disk of photos from Oberstdorf? I ordered and paid for mine at the competition and have been checking the mail every day for them this week.....

NickiT
06-12-2009, 05:47 AM
Does anyone know the ETA of the disk of photos from Oberstdorf? I ordered and paid for mine at the competition and have been checking the mail every day for them this week.....

The photographer went on to the Mountain Cup in France straight from Oberstdorf, so he said it would take a little while to get the photos out to us. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long!

Nicki

flutzilla1
06-12-2009, 07:54 AM
Aha! That definitrly explains it then. Thanks NickiT! :)

Mrs Redboots
06-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Aha! That definitrly explains it then. Thanks NickiT! :)

He's on Facebook; you could always friend him & then tease him....