View Full Version : Adult Skating Committee Info - From Lexi Rohner

LexiSk8
05-22-2009, 04:39 PM
Hi everyone,

This is Lexi Rohner, Chair of the USFS Adult Skating Committee (ASC). It has been brought to my attention that there are concerns over what issues the committee discusses, and how they affect or do not affect the general adult skating population.

I would like to provide some insight on the process of rule changing and the environment in which issues affecting adult skaters are addressed.

U.S. Figure Skating
Each year there is a Governing Council (GC) meeting (May) at which proposals for rule changes (RFAs) are put up for a vote. Clubs across the country send their delegates there to place these votes. Sometime issues pass, sometimes they do not.

Any RFA that passes in May takes effect in September of that same year, unless it was declared urgent, which makes it effective immediately after GC.

U.S. Figure Skating has a membership population of about 200,000. Of that number, about 21% are adult skaters. Of that 21%, it has yet to be determined how many are adult skaters who actually compete and test. This is a very small number. So although the adult skating program in the United States is the global leader in adult skating, we are still a very small faction and have a long way to go to achieve what we all may want from our experiences in skating.

ASC
The ASC consists of about 30-40 people in any given year (June – June), who discuss topics that may result in rule changes for adult skaters.

Each year ASC members change, and the Chair position is limited to three years maximum.

The ASC has representatives from all adult disciplines, as well as officials, club presidents and board members, and representatives from other related committees. Everyone participates in and votes on issues all year long.

Member email addresses are publicly listed here (http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?cat=7&id=25040).

Agenda Items
Any topic affecting adult skaters is welcome in discussion at any time. Committee members are not the only people who request a topic to be discussed.

If you have an item for discussion, please contact me or one of the Vice Chairs and we will put it in the discussion queue.

I would like to point out that SkatingForums is a great place to connect with other adult skaters. However, venting on committee issues when you have not actually contacted a committee member or given anyone the opportunity to address your concerns, is not productive.

I encourage everyone to take the time understand how the whole system works, and to contact me anytime with questions. I welcome differences of opinion. Adult skating cannot grow without them.

Good luck to you all. I hope to hear from you!

Lexi Rohner (LexiSk8@aol.com)
Chair, Adult Skating Committee (http://www.usfigureskating.org/Programs.asp?id=46)
U.S. Figure Skating
LexiSk8@aol.com

Julie Gidlow (gidj@aol.com)
Sectional Vice Chair – Pacific Coast

Gail Sombati (sombati@wideopenwest.com)
Sectional Vice Chair – Midwest

Nancy Hughes (newskates@aol.com)
Sectional Vice Chair – East

daisies
05-22-2009, 05:06 PM
Thanks Lexi! Dear moderator, can we make this a sticky, please? Thank you! :)

flo
05-22-2009, 06:13 PM
From Lexi:

"I would like to point out that SkatingForums is a great place to connect with other adult skaters. However, venting on committee issues when you have not actually contacted a committee member or given anyone the opportunity to address your concerns, is not productive."

Actually I've found the discussion here on Skating Forums very helpful. Now that everyone has been given more information from Lexi, it can be very productive.
Thanks

RachelSk8er
05-22-2009, 08:46 PM
Lexi is ON A BOAT!!! :bow:

Mel On Ice
05-22-2009, 10:41 PM
Lexi is a rockstar and I'm the groupie.

jazzpants
05-23-2009, 03:12 AM
Lexi is a rockstar and I'm the groupie.And I'm the other groupie!!! :P

Lexi Rohner is in DA HOOOOOOOUZE!!!! :bow:

kander
05-24-2009, 12:28 AM
And I'm the other groupie!!! :P

Ol' blohn-dee skates like the wind :D

Kevin

w.w.west
05-24-2009, 09:05 AM
And I'm the other groupie!!! :P

She is a FETCHING woman isn't she?:lol:

Black Sheep
05-24-2009, 09:10 AM
Lexi is ON A BOAT!!! :bow:

Up next on The Looooooove Boat! :lol: ;)

sk8rpinkLisa
05-24-2009, 05:13 PM
OK so are there any major changes going on in Adult Skating?

LexiSk8
05-24-2009, 11:48 PM
Nothing at this time. Once there is anything factual to post, I will do so. Please contact me (lexisk8@aol.com) with any questions!

daisies
05-26-2009, 03:17 PM
Bumping this up...

vesperholly
05-26-2009, 03:31 PM
Perhaps rather than a sticky post or bumping this thread, Lexi's first post can be added into the References for Skaters and Coaches thread?

SkateGuard
05-26-2009, 09:47 PM
Hi everyone,

This is Lexi Rohner, Chair of the USFS Adult Skating Committee (ASC). It has been brought to my attention that there are concerns over what issues the committee discusses, and how they affect or do not affect the general adult skating population.

Lexi, let me say you have done a fantastic job of representing adult skating. It's a shame you're held to a three-year term. I had some comments:

U.S. Figure Skating has a membership population of about 200,000. Of that number, about 21% are adult skaters. Of that 21%, it has yet to be determined how many are adult skaters who actually compete and test. This is a very small number. So although the adult skating program in the United States is the global leader in adult skating, we are still a very small faction and have a long way to go to achieve what we all may want from our experiences in skating.

This population of 200K includes the basic skills members; the number of full members in US Figure Skating is around 65,000 (reference: the fact sheet handed out at the US FigureSkating booth at 2007 Skate America). My experience has been that Basic Skills programs do not always count their adult LTS skaters as Basic Skills members of US FigureSkating...is it possible that we have more members?

Even though 21% is small, it still is a fifth of all skaters--and worthy of attention. :)

Agenda Items
Any topic affecting adult skaters is welcome in discussion at any time. Committee members are not the only people who request a topic to be discussed.

If you have an item for discussion, please contact me or one of the Vice Chairs and we will put it in the discussion queue.

I would like to point out that SkatingForums is a great place to connect with other adult skaters. However, venting on committee issues when you have not actually contacted a committee member or given anyone the opportunity to address your concerns, is not productive.

One idea that originated from the various discussion boards is solo dance at Adult Nationals. It started as a discussion on Ice Dancers Online, where Ashleyann Carlson was able to start working with some Adult and Dance committee members to make it from an idea to a reality. The ensuing
discussion on IDOL was beneficial as well, getting feedback from adult skaters in what they expected from a solo dance event...which I think had an impact in the good numbers we had this year.

I think some of the breakdown in communication is a lack of respect, which I have seen go in both directions. (As a non-member, I respect the fact that every little discussion y'all have is not public, and do not assume I know something I don't. However, I also hope that committee members will respect people's concerns enough to be good listeners rather than talkers.) When there is mutual respect, I have seen the discussion boards used as a great way to open the dialog between the committee and the rest of us.

LexiSk8
05-27-2009, 11:51 PM
That's very kind of you, thanks!

Lexi, let me say you have done a fantastic job of representing adult skating. It's a shame you're held to a three-year term. I had some comments:

I think some of the breakdown in communication is a lack of respect, which I have seen go in both directions. (As a non-member, I respect the fact that every little discussion y'all have is not public, and do not assume I know something I don't. However, I also hope that committee members will respect people's concerns enough to be good listeners rather than talkers.) When there is mutual respect, I have seen the discussion boards used as a great way to open the dialog between the committee and the rest of us.

I agree with this. Which is why I posted here. The goal is to represent respectfully. :D