View Full Version : Flying with skates & Zuca

chowskates
05-21-2009, 07:17 AM
I'm flying to Germany tomorrow, and am contemplating bringing my Zuca & skates on board.

I heard that recently, airlines are allowing skates in carry-on again, can anyone confirm that?

I'm also wondering if I will have a problem if I carry on my Zuca (not pro). I read conflicting posts about whether it will fit in the aircraft overhead bin... Anyone has experience?

Thanks in advance... Oberstdorf here I come! :-)

fsk8r
05-21-2009, 07:56 AM
I'm flying to Germany tomorrow, and am contemplating bringing my Zuca & skates on board.

I heard that recently, airlines are allowing skates in carry-on again, can anyone confirm that?

I'm also wondering if I will have a problem if I carry on my Zuca (not pro). I read conflicting posts about whether it will fit in the aircraft overhead bin... Anyone has experience?

Thanks in advance... Oberstdorf here I come! :-)

I think the Zuca Sport is too big for carry on although you might get lucky with some airlines. I checked mine in when I flew as it didn't fit in the magic basket at the airport (it's too wide and the wheels stick out too far, so pretty much too big all round).
Last time I flew I checked my skates in, and I'd not heard that they'd changed the rules. I do however back my skates in my main suitcase and then pack the zuca with other things. It fits shoeboxes great so you can just pack spare shoes straight in box, etc.

Good luck at Oberstdorf.

Stormy
05-21-2009, 09:54 AM
International might be different, but I've never once had my skates denied as carry on, ever. Even when they were on the banned list I got them through, even through Boston. They are not on the list of banned items now, and it might be helpful just have have a printout of the banned list in case you get a prickly TSA person to show them skates are allowed. But I've gotten them through many, many airports and rarely do they even ask to look at them. Last time I flew with them to Nationals, I had the soakers on them and the TSA person did ask to look at them and he said since the soakers were on they were fine. Defintiely carry them on. I am way too paranoid about my skates to check them, even on a direct flight.

The Zuca bag I can't speak to since I don't have one.

blue111moon
05-21-2009, 10:15 AM
I'm pretty sure the Zuca bags are too big for most flights.

I check my skates to go to Europe every year and haven't lost them yet. In fact, the only time one of my two bags got "misdirected" it was the one without my skates in it. My skate bag made it through just fine.

Keep in mind that airlines in Europe have different baggage requirements (generally much stricter) than the ones from North American and Asia. Just because they let you do someone on one flight doesn't guarantee that you'll be allowed to do it on the next.

flo
05-21-2009, 02:22 PM
I flew from Baltimore to Cincinnati to Paris with my zuca and skates on board and no problem. The international flights tend to have larger compartments. I also had an offer by the attendant on one flight to keep it in a closet up front.
I also bought a zuca cozy - a cover for the bag so it does not get dinged up in travel.
Good luck!