View Full Version : The encouragement thread #2

sk8ryellow
05-19-2009, 07:33 PM
YAY! More encouragement, go ahead, what are you guys working on?

sk8rpinkLisa
05-19-2009, 08:16 PM
A clean Axel, double toe, double Salchow, not falling on my deathdrop and a triple bunny hop

sk8ryellow
05-19-2009, 08:23 PM
That triple bunny hop sure seems hard, good luck!

Mrs Redboots
05-20-2009, 07:04 AM
Competition very soon - First round Canasta Tango & Swing Dance, 2nd round Fiesta Tango & Willow (whose bright idea was that!); also free dance performed as couples' interpretive.

RachelSk8er
05-20-2009, 07:11 AM
--Junior moves in the field
--Getting my axel
--Getting my back camel stronger so my flying camel (which flies well but doesn't really camel nicely every time) is more consistent
--Choreographing a new freestyle program
--Pre-gold dances (kind of on the back burner until I finish my moves because I want to get at least junior, if not junior and senior in before the changes to into effect in a year and a half)

Skate@Delaware
05-20-2009, 07:22 AM
going back over my notes, it seems like I'm still working on the same things (i.e. not hunching my shoulders, pointing my toes, bending my knees :lol:) but currently I'm working on:

-one-footing my loop jump landing
-change foot spins
-back spins
off ice I'm gaining strength in my lower back & legs for a sit spin :frus:

Finessing my other jumps....and show practice (i.e. trying to remember my parts!)

techskater
05-20-2009, 05:38 PM
New program choreo, higher spin levels, double toe loop and the ever dreaded Novice MIF

Black Sheep
05-20-2009, 06:03 PM
Here's what I got back so far:

Forward-scratch spin
Forward-scratch spin w/change of edge
Back-scratch spin
Back-scratch spin w/change of edge
All my single jumps up to a lutz
My footwork sequence

Here's what is still painful for my back and/or left leg:

Layback spin (I miss this one the most!)
Camel spins (Forward, back, and flying)
Axel (w/o having to do a 2-foot landing to save my leg)
Double salchow

Skate@Delaware
05-20-2009, 09:22 PM
I had a conversation with someone today that reminded me about the change in my mindset from the beginning of my skating to now...when I first started skating I would get so frustrated that LITTLE KIDS were picking up elements and zipping past me like no tomorrow! I almost gave it up many times!

I had to do some serious soul-searching to find my motivation for skating...why do I skate? why do I bother trying? what do I hope to accomplish? I obviously won't be in the olympics, ice capades, etc.

First, I realized it was the love of THE SPORT that captivated me. Hey, it's a SPORT that I can do!

Second, for all my lack of training in anything artistic, I CAN DO THIS and have FUN!

Third, I am competitive, and I realized that I needed to be competitive against myself...if I do this one element, how can I do it again but better? Like golf, can I beat my score? It's a game of constantly trying to improve one's "game" in a sport of one participant.

I realized I can roll all of this together and skate for me, I can show my appreciation to my family by skating in ice shows and for my coach by participating in competitions.

When I realized this, I stopped comparing myself to the LITTLE KIDS (or big kids) and that aspect of my skating became so much better! I'm so proud of my skating friends and other skaters when they reach a milestone even though they may be light years ahead of me! I hope this helps anyone that still struggles with this.