View Full Version : Thanks for your help =)

Yui
05-18-2009, 01:20 AM
thanks everyone for your help on my previous two threads. special mentions go to: Mrs. redboots, isk8ync (i think thats how you spell it) and londonicechamp. cant remember the rest. i am now onto my bronze figure freestyle. currently doing a spiral, a three jump and a bunny-hop drag and a three revolution turn. can i ask what is the difference between the salchow and the axel because on youtube they both look the same. i am hoping to pass bronze and get onto silver. also with many comments i have ordered the edea overture since i have a wide foot. but im using normal ultima mark IV blades since i dont have alot of money. any tips are welcome. and a great thanks to this beautiful community
YUI out

Mrs Redboots
05-19-2009, 09:48 AM
An axel takes off from a right forward inside edge and rotates 1.5 times before landing; a salchow takes off from a right back inside edge and rotates once before landing on the other foot. In practice, a salchow is very often cheated (mine certainly is) and only the last 1/2 revolution is in the air. A double salchow is often taught at around the same time as an axel, as the two jumps are very similar in technique but some people are simply more comfortable taking off backwards.

Yui
05-19-2009, 11:09 AM
Thanks Mrs. im currently learning a three jump which is a left outside edge and a jump onto a backwards right outside edge. getting there =)

techskater
05-19-2009, 05:54 PM
An axel takes off from a right forward inside edge and rotates 1.5 times before landing; a salchow takes off from a right back inside edge and rotates once before landing on the other foot. In practice, a salchow is very often cheated (mine certainly is) and only the last 1/2 revolution is in the air. A double salchow is often taught at around the same time as an axel, as the two jumps are very similar in technique but some people are simply more comfortable taking off backwards.

Actually, an Axel takes off from a right (CW) or left (CCW) forward OUTSIDE edge and rotates 1.5 times before landing while a salchow takes off from a right (CW) or left (CCW) back inside edge and rotates ~ 1 time around.

Mrs Redboots
05-20-2009, 07:03 AM
Actually, an Axel takes off from a right (CW) or left (CCW) forward OUTSIDE edge and rotates 1.5 times before landing while a salchow takes off from a right (CW) or left (CCW) back inside edge and rotates ~ 1 time around.

Duh, I knew that..... don't know why I said inside.