View Full Version : Back in Business and I have my first Skating Test!!! MIF for Pre-Bronze

dance2sk8
05-15-2009, 09:16 PM
Hello all,
I've disappeared for the past couple of months due to things going on in my life, but I made it a point to skate as much as possible during that time. It seems to have kept me sane. My coach finally announced that she thought I was ready for the MIF test for Pre-Bronze adult test 2 weeks ago. I gulped and said, "ok lets do this and get it over with." I've spent the past couple of weeks practicing more and I bought my skating dress and tights. This is my first test ever. I am nervous but excited because I know I can do really well as I am strong on my edges and 3 turns in both directions. My favorite is backward cross overs as I have improved my positioning and really bending my knees and holding the edge throughout the exercise. So, what have you all done to remain calm before testing? Any thoughts on your first test? :D

In July I plan on taking the Bronze MIF test and then hopefully by fall, Silver. So far so good. I know the Pre-Bronze Free Skate test will be a breeze. I am excited for that one. Spinning and jumping are my strongest areas. I finally can do a camel spin!! Sit spin, I need to close better...that will come in time.

I've also been seeking out program music...that, too, has been asked and I have found several different soundtracks. I want to stay away from the commonly used music. Its been fun picking that out and I think I know what it will be. Coach is helping me out in that area. :)

Last question...who's coming to the Motown Tango at the end of June? I plan on attending the Saturday and Sunday sessions. Going to be a blast!

Skittl1321
05-15-2009, 09:42 PM
Good luck on your first tests! Wish I could give you advise about nerves, but I've got terrible ones. I did find that it worked better for me to really freak out about it ahead of time- then I was done being nervous by the time I got onto the ice (Bronze MIF). For PB MIF I kind of told myself it was no big deal, and then my nerves got to me so badly I could barely stand upright for the test. PB freestyle really is no biggie, IMO. Since it's just elements, it's more like a practice session than anything else.

I wish I could say I'd have silver MIF by fall, but I'm nowhere close. Summer 2010 is the plan for that. I'd like to get Bronze Free by Jan. 2010, but right now my program is taking me about 20 more seconds then I have music...

I'll be at Motown Tango for the two freestyle workshops- no ice dancing for me. (I'd do the ice dance workshop too, but since I'm unemployed DH did NOT agree with me that that was a good add on.) I'll also be at the Dinner/Dance thing. (That I'm kind of nervous about.)

dance2sk8
05-18-2009, 09:30 PM
Good luck on your first tests! Wish I could give you advise about nerves, but I've got terrible ones. I did find that it worked better for me to really freak out about it ahead of time- then I was done being nervous by the time I got onto the ice (Bronze MIF). For PB MIF I kind of told myself it was no big deal, and then my nerves got to me so badly I could barely stand upright for the test. PB freestyle really is no biggie, IMO. Since it's just elements, it's more like a practice session than anything else.

I wish I could say I'd have silver MIF by fall, but I'm nowhere close. Summer 2010 is the plan for that. I'd like to get Bronze Free by Jan. 2010, but right now my program is taking me about 20 more seconds then I have music...

I'll be at Motown Tango for the two freestyle workshops- no ice dancing for me. (I'd do the ice dance workshop too, but since I'm unemployed DH did NOT agree with me that that was a good add on.) I'll also be at the Dinner/Dance thing. (That I'm kind of nervous about.)

Yay! I'll get to meet you!!! I am taking the freestyle as well and planning to attend the dinner and dancing, too. You can't miss me, I am super tall...6' 1" and pretty friendly. I always wear my hair in a bun when I skate. :D

Skittl1321
05-18-2009, 09:36 PM
Yay! I'll get to meet you!!! I am taking the freestyle as well and planning to attend the dinner and dancing, too. You can't miss me, I am super tall...6' 1" and pretty friendly. I always wear my hair in a bun when I skate. :D

Hee- I might miss you I'll be more than a foot lower than you :)
I'm 5'0" and have very curly hair, though it might be long enough then to wear in a ponytail.

The group is limited to a relatively small number, so I'm sure we'll get to meet :)
A few other board members are supposedly going to be there too.

dance2sk8
05-21-2009, 05:41 PM
I passed my Pre-Bronze MIF test!!!!! I had good comments throughout. Holy crap is that nerve racking...I was shaky on my skates at first...but I started to relax into the 3-turn pattern. I had to re-skate the Backward Inside Edge exercise because I touched down on my first attempt. Anyways, up next on my plate is the Freeskate test. That will be much easier for me as I am better at jumps and spins.

See you at the end of June! :D

Skittl1321
05-21-2009, 06:29 PM
HUGE CONGRATULATIONS! That first moves test is nerve wracking!!!

Elly86
05-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Congratulations!!!

dbny
05-21-2009, 09:57 PM
o CONGRATULATIONS! o

dance2sk8
05-21-2009, 11:59 PM
HUGE CONGRATULATIONS! That first moves test is nerve wracking!!!

NO KIDDING!!! It definitely was. My first strokes across the ice for warm up were very shaky. I was freaking out! 8O BUT...my coach helped me get my head in the game and even though I didn't skate my best, I still had really good marks except for that one particular exercise....Now I know what to expect. I need to learn some techniques to relax myself and not worry so much about passing. That will help.

Thin-Ice
05-22-2009, 02:20 AM
i passed my pre-bronze mif test!!!!! I had good comments throughout. Holy crap is that nerve racking...i was shaky on my skates at first...but i started to relax into the 3-turn pattern. I had to re-skate the backward inside edge exercise because i touched down on my first attempt.:d

congratulations!!!!!

Mrs Redboots
05-22-2009, 07:12 AM
Congratulations!

aussieskater
05-22-2009, 07:18 AM
Congratulations!

Skate@Delaware
05-22-2009, 07:26 AM
Wow! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!

jcookie1982
05-22-2009, 07:47 AM
Congratulations!!!

PinkLaces
05-26-2009, 06:22 PM
Congrats and good luck on the free skate!

Isk8NYC
05-26-2009, 07:16 PM
Congratulations!

dance2sk8
05-26-2009, 11:05 PM
Thank you everyone!!! I appreciate all the kind words. AND I GOT A JOB!!!! Zuca bag here I come!!! (all black with rhinestones and black carriage)...I know, total loser. ;) Been wanting one of those for months!

LilJen
05-27-2009, 08:45 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

So far, I've taken 2 moves, 1 FS, and 4 dance tests. Best prep for the moves tests has been running through them in order, frequently, as though I was testing at that moment. When I did my PB FS test the judge asked whether I had a program and I was like "whaaa?" I just ran through the elements in order, but thinking back it might have been good to have a means of running through them more smoothly rather than jump, stop, jump, stop, spin, stop, etc. (Of course this is all moot as I move up the testing ladder, because it's all programs from here on out for FS.)

dance2sk8
05-27-2009, 10:15 AM
Yeah, the FS test I am excited for. I think my coach is actually going to put together a small program for me to do for Pre-Bronze FS. I already pulled a ton of music and we are going to put something together really quick here for July. That's the next test date available. BUT, not sure if she is going to have me do Bronze MIF next... we shall see. :lol:

Skittl1321
05-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Yeah, the FS test I am excited for. I think my coach is actually going to put together a small program for me to do for Pre-Bronze FS. I already pulled a ton of music and we are going to put something together really quick here for July. That's the next test date available. BUT, not sure if she is going to have me do Bronze MIF next... we shall see. :lol:

Check with your test chair before you put together a program. Our club wouldn't play music for the PB or Pre-pre tests. (And we don't do them continually program style either. Element, stop, element, stop. Some judges even like to tell you which element to do next.)

Good luck on the bronze MIF

Skate@Delaware
05-27-2009, 11:32 AM
Check with your test chair before you put together a program. Our club wouldn't play music for the PB or Pre-pre tests. (And we don't do them continually program style either. Element, stop, element, stop. Some judges even like to tell you which element to do next.)

This is good to know, especially for those of us that are used to testing ISI (you are tested by your coach; I do a program which is usually my current comp piece with the required elements, and my music until my elements are done).

My club doesn't currently test (except ice dance) so I would have to find out from the host club...when I test.

TreSk8sAZ
05-27-2009, 11:53 AM

I've seen quite a few pre-bronze fs tests and not seen any in program form. In fact music would not be allowed in any of our test sessions for that test. The test form IIRC has each element individually so be very prepared to stop in between each element like you do for MITF tests. Definitely have your coach find out what is normally done at sessions around you.

Debbie S
05-27-2009, 12:00 PM
I've seen quite a few pre-bronze fs tests and not seen any in program form. In fact music would not be allowed in any of our test sessions for that test. Yes, the test form specifically says that elements are to be done individually, without music. You can certainly create a program for future competition, but the test is just a series of elements. Any judge who asks if you have a program isn't reading the test form - you can just point out that this test is w/o music, like Pre-Preliminary. When I tested, I stopped between each element, but I've since seen both Pre-B and Pre-Pre tests where the skater didn't really stop, but did the element and kind of skated around in one place until the judges stopped writing, and then did the next element.

You should watch either Pre-B or Pre-Pre tests in your area to see what's done, and it's always good to check with the judge(s) before you begin to see what they would like you to do.

Thin-Ice
05-28-2009, 01:28 AM
Yes, the test form specifically says that elements are to be done individually, without music. You can certainly create a program for future competition, but the test is just a series of elements. Any judge who asks if you have a program isn't reading the test form - you can just point out that this test is w/o music, like Pre-Preliminary.

You should watch either Pre-B or Pre-Pre tests in your area to see what's done, and it's always good to check with the judge(s) before you begin to see what they would like you to do.

All the judges I know are reading the test forms! (Otherwise how would they know where to put their comments for each element?) But some coaches do NOT read the forms. So at least where I am, the judges ask the tester if s/he plans to stop between elements or if the elements will be linked with crossovers or steps between. That way the judges get an idea of how long they have to write comments. The forms for Pre-Pre and Pre-Bronze are set up the same way the MIF forms are... lots of space to write comments on each individual element. The other FS test forms are set up so the judges have space to comment on overall technical and presentation.

And I completely agree, it's a really good idea to watch those level tests before you actually test. If you don't have that opportunity, ask the judge which they would prefer or just before you start your test, go up to the panel and tell them what you plan to do. (It varies from area to area, but I know most of the judges here really like it when the skater gives them as much information as possible. We have a couple coaches here who teach their skaters to come up to the judges and say something like "Hi, I'm Susie Skater and this is my Pre-Bronze free skate test. I was planning to do the elements with crossovers in between, but I can do each element and pause after each one if you'd prefer." Usually the judges are thrilled Susie Skater has identified herself so they are sure who they are judging and that they have the correct form up on their clipboards (even with just two sheets of paper, it is possible to get the wrong form up and this eliminates confusion for the judges.) The judges I've worked with usually say "That's fine Susie. If you've been practicing it with stroking in between the elements, just go ahead and do it that way."

Thin-Ice
05-28-2009, 01:29 AM
Yes, the test form specifically says that elements are to be done individually, without music. You can certainly create a program for future competition, but the test is just a series of elements. Any judge who asks if you have a program isn't reading the test form - you can just point out that this test is w/o music, like Pre-Preliminary.

All the judges I know are reading the test forms! (Otherwise how would they know where to put their comments for each element?) But some coaches do NOT read the forms. So at least where I am, the judges ask the tester if s/he plans to stop between elements or if the elements will be linked with crossovers or steps between. That way the judges get an idea of how long they have to write comments. The forms for Pre-Pre and Pre-Bronze are set up the same way the MIF forms are... lots of space to write comments on each individual element. The other FS test forms are set up so the judges have space to comment on overall technical and presentation.

And I completely agree, it's a really good idea to watch those level tests before you actually test. If you don't have that opportunity, ask the judge which they would prefer or just before you start your test, go up to the panel and tell them what you plan to do. (It varies from area to area, but I know most of the judges here really like it when the skater gives them as much information as possible. We have a couple coaches here who teach their skaters to come up to the judges and say something like "Hi, I'm Susie Skater and this is my Pre-Bronze free skate test. I was planning to do the elements with crossovers in between, but I can do each element and pause after each one if you'd prefer." Usually the judges are thrilled Susie Skater has identified herself so they are sure who they are judging and that they have the correct form up on their clipboards (even with just two sheets of paper, it is possible to get the wrong form up and this eliminates confusion for the judges.) The judges I've worked with usually say "That's fine Susie. If you've been practicing it with stroking in between the elements, just go ahead and do it that way." Although I admit, occassionally a judge will say "Would you mind just doing each element and giving me time to write comments before you start the next element?". Either way, the judges know what to expect, which makes their lives easier.