View Full Version : Woo Hoo or Boo Hoo: Lessons & Practice 5/11 - 5/17

dbny
05-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Haven't started one of these in a long time!

Woo Hoo:
Had another easy weekend, so I got to practice today. Did all thee of the first dances, one right after the other and stayed on pattern and on time (to the best of my knowledge - without music). When I first started ice dance, I always fell way behind on the Dutch Waltz. I also showed a rink guard who was once a figure skater the Pre-Pre and Prelim MIF to encourage him to test so he could coach, and surprised myself with how easily I got around on the F perimeter stroking. Just a couple of months of ice dance has done wonders for my power! Spins are back, but I have to really focus on maintaining tension in my core and in my arms. I think my F power pulls are finally here to stay. I've been doing them in time to whatever music playing, which is really fun because I get to do things like 3 fast, one slow, instead of all the same. Did B cross strokes with increasing speed, which was also fun. Worked on the Fiesta Tango end pattern with improvement on both the FI mohawk and the B progressives.

Boo Hoo:
Where did my FI threes go? I can do them, but not in the Prelim pattern! Realized that although I have decent BI edges, I am not entirely comfy with the position I need to hold the check on FO threes. Guess I'll have to practice that by itself. Still unwilling to do the Fiesta Tango at appropriate speed because of the FI mohawk.

My coach will be away for the next two weeks because she is going to the PSA conference and taking two oral rating exams there. I would love to be able to show her some improvement when she gets back.

singerskates
05-12-2009, 02:17 AM
Monday
Boo Hoo:
Was so late getting to the rink today that there was only 15 minutes left of my skating session because I spent too much time doing editing and remastering music getting caught up too deep in my work not noticing what time it was.

Woo Hoo:
I'm finished editing and remastering all 7 skater tracks for my skating coach and just need to press the 2 remaining CDs. I'm also glad that I'm done doing the pre-novice's short program music. It took quite a while to do and was quite tricky to make the selections fit well together musically but I called my coach to find out if he heard them and found out that he liked my choices for the edits very much. Now I just have to create the labels to burn them onto the Lightscribe discs, write up the invoice and present the last CDs with the bill to my coach. (I hope I get more work like this.)

Tuesday
Boo Hoo:
Tomorrow is a test day that I didn't know about and they've chosen my open session on which to run the tests which means I don't get my ice time. I also have yet to partner my Fiesta Tango and so I'm not ready to test it yet. I also have a few more things to work out before testing my freeskate test, so that's not happening Tuesday either. If I want to make up the lost skting time, I'll have to shell out an extra $20 dollars to buy on for the intermediate session.

Woo Hoo is going to have to wait until later. It's 3:15 AM and I can't possibly know if there's going to be any Woo Hoo for me yet this Tuesday.

liz_on_ice
05-12-2009, 08:04 AM
Woo Hoo - applied coach's advice from last lesson (always a good idea, I should do it more often) and improved spirals greatly. Salchows and toe loops caught good air. Loops are coming along, Flips are getting better than the occasional happy accident, I landed several. Sitspins were really on today.

Boo Hoo - camel spin is worse again, mostly from confusion due to attempting to apply spiral corrections to it. I really need a sharpening, I felt a couple of skids today that were scary, but getting to summer coach's place to have him do it is tough to fit in the schedule.

SkatEn
05-12-2009, 09:13 AM
Boo Hoo - camel spin is worse again, mostly from confusion due to attempting to apply spiral corrections to it.

I'm suffering from the exactly opposite! I am doing my spirals like I would do a camel so all spirals are ridiculously low!:P

Wooooooooo Hoooooooooo:
I did a bunch of waltz-backspins! And exited them! It's not the longed-after axel, but it's halfway there! It may not have the snap but the feeling of jumping and spinning is much better! I think there is sometimes a wrap, but today's was better than the last time's!

Sit spin got more revolutions, and my quad is growing to accommodate backsit. ;)

BOO HOO
Had a peak period where I kept landing waltzbackspin and then I fell really hard on my butt and hands. I leaned too behind.
I'm retiring flip. I hope that giving it a break will make it work when I try it next time. That's how backspin happened. I am landing flip and all, good distance, but it's just poor technique and bad habits. oh well.

Have fun skating everyone! Find some sanity on ice!

liz_on_ice
05-12-2009, 10:18 AM
I

I'm retiring flip. I hope that giving it a break will make it work when I try it next time. That's how backspin happened. I am landing flip and all, good distance, but it's just poor technique and bad habits. oh well.

I've found that a break of 2 or 3 weeks does help unlearn some bad habits, good luck with it.

sk8rpinkLisa
05-12-2009, 05:10 PM
Woo Hoo - started new program this week and remembered the choreography

Boo Hoo - have to get up way early to open rink all week

Woo Hoo - If I get there early enough I get to jam up my music and skate to whatever I want:lol:

Skate@Delaware
05-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Boo-Hoo: could not find my balance or push on crossovers. Plus, I was unnerved by someone doing a footwork pattern and cutting through all the circles (no matter which one I picked, she used them all for her pattern). Couple of close calls...I did tell her she could shout out if she thought we were a little too close, as I don't mind but I think she might have felt odd doing so.

Down-right-cryin'-shame: Toe-loops. I'm so afraid my toe-loop is waltzy now (after lessons friday night where we learned the difference), now I'm nit-picking the whole freaking thing. It's falling apart. I do know I have no kick through.

Woo-Hoo: in addition to the success of the new "loop" exercise I tried, my waltz jump was improved-worked on kicking through and using my arms (not sure what my coach will think about it she isn't fond of using arms for momentum).

Scratch spin: I actually managed 2 (yes TWO) that were centered PLUS I had my free leg in a high crossed position! I think my workout is finally paying off!!!! I can't remember if my hip was open or closed but everything felt so good and the leg was high, it crossed, and I even managed to keep it together to a proper exit! Not sure if I captured it on video if so, I'll post it.

Terri C
05-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Woo Hoo:
Today was my second day back on the ice after AN. I was able to do both forward and backscratch spins today!!

Boo Hoo:
Since the ice contract for May went out right before I left for AN and was due while I was at AN, I have no ice contract and had to pay walk on! Only skated a hour because of this.

jazzpants
05-12-2009, 09:58 PM
Boo Hoo:
Lost another job oppty. :frus: The recruiter did say that I actually interviewed well and they did like me, but I was beaten out by "someone more Senior" and they're sending out offers to those two lucky engineers.. Needless to say, I am now currently coachless b/c I can't afford coaching after AN and am lucky to just be skating (and BTW: on a midday public session where it's more quiet, b/c that's the best use of my time and money.) :cry:

Woo Hoo:
This is the second time I've been back skating and it's a much better one than the first one back. I had my jump up to and including my (royally cheated) lutz. Am trying to fix the look so I my picking leg is straighter before I actually pick and I almost am getting it.

Boo Hoo again:
Tried to get down lower on the sit spin but I need to fix turning my free foot out so that I don't end up hitting my free foot when I DO get down lower. :twisted: Oh, and of course I have to figure out how I'm gonna GET BACK UP AGAIN after that too. :P :lol:

ibreakhearts66
05-13-2009, 01:26 AM
Boo Hoo:
Lost another job oppty. :frus: The recruiter did say that I actually interviewed well and they did like me, but I was beaten out by "someone more Senior" and they're sending out offers to those two lucky engineers.. Needless to say, I am now currently coachless b/c I can't afford coaching after AN and am lucky to just be skating (and BTW: on a midday public session where it's more quiet, b/c that's the best use of my time and money.) :cry:

Sorry to hear that. I hope something turns up really, REALLY soon for you.

Monday:
Woo hoo
-Double toes felt nice, and I did a couple of AWESOME 1toe+2toe combos (not as easy as it sounds).
-Spins were good. I am quite please with how far my layback has come. I was also happy with my back sit and forward cannonball.
-Change of edge back camels were decent.
-Spirals were pretty decent
Boo hoo
-Jumps were all super wrapped on the check-out. I think I was just extra tired and couldn't quite put the effort in to not wrap (I naturally squeeze too tight in the inner thighs while checking out).

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUkhWBrw3uE

Today
Woo hoo
-Jumps were FAR less wrappy. Axels and double sals felt big.
-Double toes felt absolutely AMAZING. It feels like I'd be able to do a triple. My air position is open, I have time before I check out. I remember never thinking I'd be able to do a true double toe (as opposed to a toe axel). Now it's my best jump
-Did some OK double axels on the harness

Boo hoo
-My jump coach had some HARD exercises for me. For jump combos, instead of doing say, 1toe+2toe or 1loop+2loop, I had to do WALTZ JUMP+2toe and then, even worse, waltz jump +2LOOP! I managed to land some of each, but oh my goodness, they're HARD! Plus I had to do them from a standstill...
-Did a super crazy wacky double axel on the harness where I'm amazed I didn't impale my coach. Somehow I got COMPLETELY wrapped. Like Yukari Nakano 3 loop wrapped. I came down from that and was just 8O8O8O
-Didn't jump beyond 2loop because I had to get home to my doggies. We're putting the old one down tomorrow :cry::cry::cry:

liz_on_ice
05-13-2009, 08:02 AM
WooHoo - coach said my salchow is getting really good, and she noticed my improved spiral since last week. Sit spin is approaching decent.

BooHoo - she also said my spin exit/final pose sucks. Have to work on it this week. Forgot to practice flips. :giveup:

Skate@Delaware
05-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Boo Hoo:

Jazz, sorry to hear that. Have you ever given any thought to teaching skating????? I know there isn't as much money in it but maybe it would help.

I've posted my (rather long and probably boring) practice video. Towards the end, it shows my success incorporating Audryb's loop exercise. I did show my numerous cr*ppy attempts at my toe-loop which is getting worse the more I seem to break down and concentrate about my technique instead of just letting it happen. and now it's carrying over to my salchow....Grrrrr!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o81Ou7y6K8A
(i just uploaded it so it might not be available right away, if you are familiar with youtube you have to wait a bit before it is available-i think they "check" it to make sure it doesn't contain copyrighted material).

liz_on_ice
05-13-2009, 10:14 AM
Boo Hoo:

oh that sucks! Good luck with your job search and skating on your own - may it be brief.

phoenix
05-13-2009, 10:47 AM
skate@delaware--

Thanks for posting your video. Since I have a little student who's a real jumping bean, I've been working on improving my critical eye when it comes to jumps & spins, so I practiced watching you & thinking about what I'd say to correct things! Thank you--you are helping me further my education! :D:lol:

Skate@Delaware
05-13-2009, 11:54 AM
skate@delaware--

Thanks for posting your video. Since I have a little student who's a real jumping bean, I've been working on improving my critical eye when it comes to jumps & spins, so I practiced watching you & thinking about what I'd say to correct things! Thank you--you are helping me further my education! :D:lol:

I'm glad I could help! I am getting better about picking out what I'm doing wrong when things go awry. My coach likes this. Now we just need to fix things.

RachelSk8er
05-13-2009, 03:02 PM
WOO HOO....not really skating related but...

That paper I was stressing over like a nutcase while we were at ANs (and missed the champ events and missed the party..ugh) was both the final for one of my classes and my contest submission for the competition to get on my school's Moot Court team.

I just found out I made the final round! I was one of only 2 people in my section to make it.

I haven't gotten my grade on it yet, but if it got me to the final for moot court, that means I'll get a really good grade on it, too!!!!

Mrs Redboots
05-14-2009, 05:52 AM
Whoo-hoo: Yesterday had lesson with alternative coach as our regular coaches are on holiday. He was very helpful about our hold issues, and about making us sell ourselves with our body language, especially at the start of our compulsory dances.

Boo-hoo: Husband has a back injury and we may not be able to do the lift in our free dance; we need to rechoreograph the ending if that is the case. Probably put our second spin in instead.

Stormy
05-14-2009, 06:32 AM
WOO HOO....not really skating related but...

That paper I was stressing over like a nutcase while we were at ANs (and missed the champ events and missed the party..ugh) was both the final for one of my classes and my contest submission for the competition to get on my school's Moot Court team.

I just found out I made the final round! I was one of only 2 people in my section to make it.

I haven't gotten my grade on it yet, but if it got me to the final for moot court, that means I'll get a really good grade on it, too!!!!

Congrats, I am really happy to hear that!! You really worked hard on that paper.

blue111moon
05-14-2009, 07:23 AM
I can't figure out what's Woo-Hoo and what's Boo-Hoo because there are pluses and minuses in just about everything:

New Coach (who is only the third coach ever I've had in 28 years) was standing at the boards and echanging comments with my old First Coach during my lesson. New Coach was complaining about how bad my memory for choreography was getting and that it had to be my advancing age (she was teasing - it's normal for us and I'm not offended). First Coach corrected her and said no, that's the way I've always been. She's right, too. :lol: Considering that I left First Coach in 1989, I don't know whether to :D or :cry: that she remembers me so well.

New Coach has been reworking the steps in the solo free dance. I'm sure it will be lovely - if I can A) do them and B) remember them when the music is playing and I'm trying to count and push and listen and watch out for other skaters.

Dressmaker in NYC has finished putting the new zipper into my old dress and will be shipping it up before I leave for France. Now I'm just hoping that the dress will still fit. It's been a tough winter and dieting wasn't foremost in my mind. The velvet was really stretchy, though. :)

alliegator66
05-14-2009, 09:09 AM
Woo Hoo: had a good lesson and a good skating week, jumps are fine except loop combos, which is the norm for me. Spins seem solid.

Boo Hoo: To fit in a decent practice, I need to just get up early and hit the 6 am session. I have never been and will never be an early morning person. I function so poorly that time of day that I wonder if it's worth it :?? or If I should stick to fewer and more far between practices at 11.

LilJen
05-14-2009, 01:56 PM
-Didn't jump beyond 2loop because I had to get home to my doggies. We're putting the old one down
tomorrow :cry::cry::cry:

I'm so sorry to hear this. I've had many dogs and it was very, very tough to say goodbye to them all, even when we knew the end was coming. ((((hugs))))

jazzpants
05-14-2009, 06:52 PM
ibreakhearts66: I'm SO sorry to hear abut your dog!!! My condolences to you on your loss!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Woo Hoo:
My name is jazzpants and I have AOSS!!! I just couldn't resist the lure of my primary coach having a lesson with his Gold man student... and NOT have a lesson right afterwards!!! :giveup:

Yup! I took a lesson today!!! Thankfully, I will have some money freed up from my CD account (earmarked for AN 2009 or "other emergencies") in about a couple of weeks, so I will be able to afford lessons here and there with the primary coach.

And those of you that are on FB will see that I have yet another interview coming up... Here's hoping I can prepare a good marketing sell to the VP of Engineering -- the hiring manager's boss and the thumbs up or down guy!) After two days ago, I'm now PISSED!!! And when I'm pissed, I'm determined! And when I'm determined, I WILL GET what I want!!! And I WANT A JOB NOW!!! SO ALL YOU OTHER CANDIDATES -- GET OUTTA MY WAY!!! :evil:

Boo Hoo:
Went over sit spins and camel spins. I have to turn my hip out more on the sit spin!!! Problem is that I would start out turning out my hip, but end up turning it in when I feel like I'm about to fall off my sweet spot, so I pull the leg out to try to save myself. Primary coach does NOT want that!!! :twisted:

Not as great on my jumps today, but I think it's b/c I'm tired from doing spins today.

Woo Hoo:
I did one good sit spin attempt that while my primary coach was on another lesson he said "That is a good low sit spin, until you turned your hip back IN!!!" (Like DOH!!! That's b/c I was going DOWN!!?!?!?" :roll: ) It was definitely closer to shoot the duck level though. :bow:

Also did some okay camels, well okay for me anyway. I did do one GOOD one though, to which primary coach expressed his... relief! ("FINALLY!!! A decent attempt!!! If the free leg was slightly higher, you would have had a good camel spin too!!!")

I know that I shouldn't have taken the lesson given the circumstance... but it was just miserable NOT skating or taking lessons. Just DEPRESSING... and the last straw was the lure of bantering between my primary coach and his Gold Man skater!!! I missed that banter!!! :cry:

londonicechamp
05-14-2009, 08:16 PM
Hi

Well for this week's lesson, I have the following:

Woo ho: sit spins, managed to do it during group lesson from backward crosses, and managed about 3 revolutions or so, and then came up with an upright spin. Coach gave me some advice about kicking the leg from the back to the front, and she commented that 'it was not bad at all'. :bow:

Jumps not too bad either, managed loop jump half a revolution, :) salchow half a revolution. :D

Boo ho: change foot spin, well coach said that it was not a bad idea, but asked me to try the backspin. Well, could hold the free leg in front for 2 revolutions, just cannot cross it for more than 1 revolution. Well, this sucks, but at least I will be home to Singapore soon for good, and my coach there will be able to advise me how to improve the backspin. :P

londonicechamp

And also sorry about someone having to put down their old dogs. Reminded me of the recently released movie 'Marley and me'. ;)

patatty
05-14-2009, 09:26 PM
Boo Hoo: I failed Intermediate moves today. Ugh. I get so nervous and everything goes out the window. I feel bad for my coach. I feel like I let her down. Any tips for dealing with nerves on those oh-so-long moves tests, when the rink is silent and you have three judges staring down at you? My legs get slow and wobbly, and I can't seem to find my edges.

Woo Hoo: I passed adult gold freestyle! At least with the music playing and only 2 1/2 minutes to skate, the nerves don't kick in as much. I skated clean but a little scratchy and not my best, but ok. They made me re-skate the axel, even though I thought I did it pretty well in the program, and one judge still failed me (???). Good thing the other two didn't agree with her.

All in all, it was a good night. The judges were really tough -the majority of tests failed, and no test passed by all three judges. I'm glad it's over. Now I have to compete on Saturday, but at least my buddies Herniated and Sexyskates will be there with me!

Kim to the Max
05-14-2009, 09:53 PM
Congratulation on the Gold Freestyle Patatty!! I'm sorry to hear about the moves :( Intermediate is a tough one...I have no advice on the nerves or the surviving of the long moves tests...when I took novice a few months ago, I pretty much rushed through and didn't stop...I finished that test in record time because I was so nervous! Coach was not pleased....:roll:

Just keep working and one of my tricks is to always do moves in the order of the test...it gets me in the mindset of testing and things become second nature...

But, anyways....I put up a new video...(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgbilBNAhWY)...I may start doing more...I'm finding watching them frame by frame is helpful, but also I have a friend who moved away because she graduated, so I want to make sure she knows how I am doing :)

[[Woo Hoo]]
Landed a couple of axels clean today!!! ((According to one of the girls at the rink...I of course am a little critical of myself!!))

Spins were good, although, I couldn't center a layback for anything...

Moves are getting better...I just need to keep practicing...

[[Boo Hoo]]

Most of my axels were cheated :(

Double sals were not happening whatsoever...but, I have been focusing so much on my axels, that by the time I get to the 2sal, I don't have the mental capacity to think about it...

I really need to start doing my program more...especially because coach has it in her head that I am going to test Juvenile this summer...

I am struggling with the rockers from Junior Moves...I just can't seem to get the outside ones....they will come, I'm just being impatient :)

Debbie S
05-14-2009, 10:21 PM
Good luck at the interview, Jazz!

Sorry to hear about the moves test, patatty. But good for you for getting out there. I'm in awe of any adult skater who is up to the level of taking that test. I've practiced the Juv back power 3's pattern a few times and that's scary enough - I can't imagine doing the Int pattern - that's why I'm waiting for the new Int test - and considering that I'm about a year away, at least, from passing Gold, that won't be a problem, lol.

I'm testing Pre-Juv MIF on Saturday, which could go either way. I figured I might as well attempt it, and I've decided that pass or fail, it will still have been worthwhile b/c my 3-turns have improved, and that was my reason for working on this test. I passed Silver MIF last year w/o passing either of the 3-turn moves (which I was kind of embarrassed about - I was pleased that my spirals and power pulls were above passing, but I would have liked to have passed the 3-turns) so this is my chance to redeem myself, lol. And it should be an interesting exercise - I'm curious to see if I have enough power on the 'power moves' to pass on the standard track.

NoVa Sk8r
05-14-2009, 10:41 PM
Boo Hoo: I failed Intermediate moves today. Ugh. I get so nervous and everything goes out the window. I feel bad for my coach. I feel like I let her down. Any tips for dealing with nerves on those oh-so-long moves tests, when the rink is silent and you have three judges staring down at you? My legs get slow and wobbly, and I can't seem to find my edges.Bummer ... but you'll get 'em next time! I am getting ready to test these suckers, but I am going on vacation soon and will probably have to relearn them after 2+ weeks off the ice (yes, my brain is that way :roll:). When I took my gold moves last year, I just focused on each move, one at a time, instead of thinking of the test collectively. In the warmup, I made sure NOT to do only the gold moves, and I even did some spirals (and a sit spin!) just to loosen up my body. I think it really helps to think of the moves test as a competition program, where you have to sell yourself and your performance.

Woo Hoo: I passed adult gold freestyle! At least with the music playing and only 2 1/2 minutes to skate, the nerves don't kick in as much. I skated clean but a little scratchy and not my best, but ok. They made me re-skate the axel, even though I thought I did it pretty well in the program, and one judge still failed me (???). Good thing the other two didn't agree with her.Hooray for you!
I thought my panel would make me reskate the axel. It was somewhere between 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 (but probably closer to 1 1/4), but I did a really good sit spin, so I think they let me off the hook. :lol:

Good luck at the Trophy Comp!!! 8-)

flo
05-14-2009, 11:33 PM
Boo hoo - partner injured on a business trip. Hope he heals soon.
Woo hoo - had a lesson today that was all edges - like a private edge class and for most of the session there were only two other people there - then just me. Nice to get out and simply skate.

singerskates
05-15-2009, 03:44 AM
Congratulation on the Gold Freestyle Patatty!! I'm sorry to hear about the moves :( Intermediate is a tough one...I have no advice on the nerves or the surviving of the long moves tests...when I took novice a few months ago, I pretty much rushed through and didn't stop...I finished that test in record time because I was so nervous! Coach was not pleased....:roll:

Just keep working and one of my tricks is to always do moves in the order of the test...it gets me in the mindset of testing and things become second nature...

But, anyways....I put up a new video...(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgbilBNAhWY)...I may start doing more...I'm finding watching them frame by frame is helpful, but also I have a friend who moved away because she graduated, so I want to make sure she knows how I am doing :)

[[Woo Hoo]]
Landed a couple of axels clean today!!! ((According to one of the girls at the rink...I of course am a little critical of myself!!))

Spins were good, although, I couldn't center a layback for anything...

Moves are getting better...I just need to keep practicing...

[[Boo Hoo]]

Most of my axels were cheated :(

Double sals were not happening whatsoever...but, I have been focusing so much on my axels, that by the time I get to the 2sal, I don't have the mental capacity to think about it...

I really need to start doing my program more...especially because coach has it in her head that I am going to test Juvenile this summer...

I am struggling with the rockers from Junior Moves...I just can't seem to get the outside ones....they will come, I'm just being impatient :)

Here's a working link to the video;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgbilBNAhWY

singerskates
05-15-2009, 04:03 AM
Thursday

Woo Hoo:

Backspin - Coach told me that for the prelim test, I don't have to go into the backspin from a 3 turn. So, I went and did as few as possible forward CCW upright revs possible (6 when coach asked for only two) and then stepped onto my right foot and actually got a clean fully rotated backspin rev before jumping off of it and back onto my left for for another 3 revs. Once I get this pesky backspin, I'll be able to go back and forth from forward to backward to forward to backward (getting seasick yet?) spin as much as I want because I'm already doing this. Now to just stay a few more revs on my backspin before going back to my forward spin and then out.

Camel - so close to 2 revs clean I can taste it.

Upright (corkscrew) - fast with fast exit and then fast LFO 3; don't ask how my revs 10+ revs easy

Sitspin - barely low enough but really fast including broken position too.

Waltz
Waltz + Loop (almost clean loop, just need to wait a sec longer before taking off on loop)
Toe Loop
Toe Loop + Loop (same as above combo)
Loop is getting stronger but still need time to mature to a clean one.
Left outside spiral pleased my coach - don't know anything more about it since I didn't see it.

Fiesta Tango - started partnering it. Boy are the arm positions easy. Just a few more run throughs and it's ready to test.

Swing Dance - still got the second half down right with good pattern (forward), second half is improving and I've added the backward progressive pattern after the Mohawk to what I already know.

Boo Hoo:
Can't get into a backspin position from a three turn to save my life and stay there. I keep starting off OK but then I go to an inside edge and rotate before flipping back to an outside edge to exit.
Flip - ran out of time to do any flips.
Lutz - also ran out of time for my lutz.

Coach isn't happy with my skating straight into the jumps anymore. He wants me to do all kinds of turns and steps directly into my jumps with no set up time. Help. I'm still at the thinking stage for CW turns and steps and he wants me doing these at speed into the jumps. Help!!! What does he think I am? An Adult Silver or Adult Gold skater? I haven't even passed my prelim FS yet. Sheesh

Unless a maricle happens this week, I don't see me testing my freeskate this time out because I need to be 200% on the jumps, camel and backspin before testing. Watch me get stuff after test day. Then I'll be off the ice for at least June (Chrysler layoffs affecting family income) and maybe summer too and will have to relearn stuff in the fall. I hope I can get back to skate for the summer so I can test the prelim for sure. Once I get the prelim test done, the Junior Bronze elements should come pretty fast not including the Axel (2 Salchow is easier to get than an Axel). My biggest problem with my jumps right now are my arms, keeping my freeleg off of the ice and cross in from of landing leg in air and at the beginning of the landing in Loop, Flip and Lutz. It's like I'm on a diagonal with the head tilted to the left and the feet tilted to the right on those jumps. Must break the cycle.

Bill_S
05-15-2009, 02:46 PM
Woo Hoo!

Because there's been no ice for a month, I've been going to the roller rink with my nearly worn-out PIC skates (boy, do I need new boots and wheels!)

Still, it's fun exercise and I especially felt it in my thighs. The increased skating effort on wheels makes me work harder. As always, that will translate to better speed once I'm back on the ice.

Managed a 4-rev scratch spin on PICs last night. The practice on ice has certainly led to improvements here. One of the regulars commented positively about it.

At 59+ years old, I'm the second youngest skater at the roller rink on Adult Night. One skater, Thelma, still skates each week and will enjoy her 80th birthday next month.

Skate@Delaware
05-15-2009, 03:59 PM
We only have one month of ice left, and the tears have already started (hehe but not from me!) I have already begun planning my cross-training.

Bet you rock the rollers Bill! Several of the ladies at my rink roll but I'm not one of them. For some reason, I'm not very balanced on wheels.

LilJen
05-15-2009, 06:29 PM
Dear Online Skating Diary:

Yesterday I spent lots and lots of time on my rear end. I think this is because I am really bad at spins, but I am getting better (second lesson yesterday with the spin coach at the rink!). Plus I tore my pants and tights on a backspin. Oops. On the bright side, I got a good nitpicky dance lesson from my coach yesterday WITH dance buddy. Lots and lots of good stuff to work on, and I like it when she nitpicks because it means (1) she knows I can do it and (2) I'm getting close.

So anyway, Bobby told Jerry who told Jessica that Samantha told her friend Angela that she might like Chris, who has a really nice sitspin. I told Samantha that she better find someone with a better axel, but then Samantha went and told Bobby about it, who told Jerry and Angela that I'm a real meanie and now they all won't talk to me at the rink.

Plus, Mom told me that I can't get that pink dress I've just been wanting FOREVER and I really NEED for the upcoming season because it will be PERFECT for my new program until I study harder. She is SO MEAN!!

More later, Dearest Diary,

LilJen

dbny
05-15-2009, 07:05 PM
I had to get home to my doggies. We're putting the old one down tomorrow :cry::cry::cry:

Aw, so sorry about that.

Lost another job oppty. :frus: <snip> I am now currently coachless b/c I can't afford coaching after AN and am lucky to just be skating (and BTW: on a midday public session where it's more quiet, b/c that's the best use of my time and money.) :cry:

Well, rats! You are sure to get another job sooner or later, and I'm betting on sooner. I did see your next post where you said you are able to take some lessons, and I'm really glad because I know skating is a great morale booster.

Boo Hoo: I failed Intermediate moves today.
Woo Hoo: I passed adult gold freestyle!

Int MIF is tough! You'll do better next time.

CONGRATULATIONS on your first Gold!

I wonder if one could get away with an MP3 player during a moves test. Probably not, but it could really help.

I'm testing Pre-Juv MIF on Saturday

Good luck tomorrow!

Woo Hoo:
After my ice dance lesson last night, coach said I should look for a test session to test the first three dances. Got in a pretty good practice today, focussing on expending a lot of energy, as I have to take off a few more pounds and I don't think I can eat any less.

Boo Hoo:
He will be away for all of August, and it's already pretty late in the season, so I may not get to test until the fall.

I injured myself showing someone spiral stretch exercizes a few weeks ago, and just when it seemed to have healed, it was aggravated by working on FI mohawks. Today it got so bad that anything I did on my R foot that required turnout (everything, right?) became painful. I even had to bail on CCW FXO's! I may try my prescription NSAID daily for a week and see if that helps, along with NO F mohawks at all (that's going to be awkward).

patatty
05-15-2009, 07:53 PM
I think it really helps to think of the moves test as a competition program, where you have to sell yourself and your performance.

What a great idea. I'll try that. I don't seem to fall apart mentally in competitions, despite my "deer in the headlights" look during the whole thing, so maybe that will work. NoVa, you are a much better performer than me, but at least I can give it a try. I will never be a performer, and I'm ok with that (my nicknames growing up were "poindexter" and "dewey decimal"). I was really surprised at my reskate during the freestyle test, because I was under the impression that a cheat under 1/4 turn was ok, but these judges wanted complete rotations. They failed an intermediate freeskate after me with a cheated double sal.

dbny: I wish I could have music during a moves test. Even better -played over the sound system to cover the sound of my scraping blades!!

AgnesNitt
05-15-2009, 08:05 PM
BooHoo No Boohoos! Not that I'm doing anything perfect, I'm just doing things better! :)

YooHoo Coach is still rather weak after her surgery, but she still insists on getting behind me on my figures and poking me in the butt with one finger when my back starts to arch and my butt sticks out. What people watching think is going on I have no idea. I live in fear that it's going to end up on YouTube. And she's got pointy nail on that finger too. So I was in Borders and saw a gag spatula that has a pointing index finger on one end made out of rubber (it's made for kids to lick the bowl clean). I'm tempted to give one to her. Then she can poke me with a stick.

We are now working on change edge serpentines. These are the ones with the leg that swings forward as you change the edge. These are hard. There's real opportunity for falling backward and banging your head. So far I've fallen backward and hit my elbow (thank goodness for skating safe's molded elbow protectors, all I did was get a sore shoulder )

I started FI3. Now that I have confidence in my blades since they were reset, I think I'll pass Delta (?) in a few weeks since FI3 were all I lacked (they were scary with the old blade setting).

Mrs Redboots
05-16-2009, 08:37 AM
Dear Online Skating Diary:

Yesterday I spent lots and lots of time on my rear end. I think this is because I am really bad at spins, but I am getting better (second lesson yesterday with the spin coach at the rink!). Plus I tore my pants and tights on a backspin. Oops. On the bright side, I got a good nitpicky dance lesson from my coach yesterday WITH dance buddy. Lots and lots of good stuff to work on, and I like it when she nitpicks because it means (1) she knows I can do it and (2) I'm getting close.

So anyway, Bobby told Jerry who told Jessica that Samantha told her friend Angela that she might like Chris, who has a really nice sitspin. I told Samantha that she better find someone with a better axel, but then Samantha went and told Bobby about it, who told Jerry and Angela that I'm a real meanie and now they all won't talk to me at the rink.

Plus, Mom told me that I can't get that pink dress I've just been wanting FOREVER and I really NEED for the upcoming season because it will be PERFECT for my new program until I study harder. She is SO MEAN!!

More later, Dearest Diary,

LilJen

ROTFLOL! thank you for that.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :bow: :D :D :bow:

Debbie S
05-16-2009, 03:24 PM
Good luck tomorrow!Thanks. Unfortunately, I didn't have one of my better skates. I did pass the forward perimeter stroking (almost hit the wall on the end pattern but I guess it didn't bother the judges), the FI-BO 3's, the 5-step. I got 1 pass on the back perimeter and the power pulls; the other judges said the back perim was scratchy and the forward power pulls needed more power. And my FO-BI 3's weren't good - actually, the first side (RFO-LBI) was fine, but I have a lot of issues with the RBI 3's - I don't have to hold the edge as long on the double 3's, so I should be fine with those, lol. Interesting thing about the power pulls - they were about the same level (maybe a bit better) as they were last year when I passed Silver, and got marked 0.1 over. Theoretically, Silver and Pre-Juv have the same passing standard, but there is that power vs. continuous flow thing - I guess that was the difference bet the 2 tests with this move.

My coach thinks I should try the test again, but I really want to get back to working on Gold MIF full-time. It's hard to practice 2 tests, especially since I only skate twice a week in the summer instead of 3 times, b/c my regular rink is closed. I may try Pre-Juv again after I pass Gold, whenever that will be. But hey, on Gold, at least I don't have to worry about end patterns on the crossovers, lol.

singerskates
05-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Friday

Was a Woo Hoo day!

I skated on 2 different sessions, Open Ice from 2 PM to 3:50 PM and on the Intermediate Ice which runs from 6:50 PM - 8:00 PM of which I planned on missing the first 20 minutes.

Open Ice:
Upright corkscrew spin
Upright backcatch spin
Sitspin (forward only)
Forward upright to backward upright (getting use to spinning for at least on rotation in backspin at speed and want to get in a few more revs)
Waltz
Waltz + Toe
Waltz + Loop (now getting the rotation on the loop but not landing on one foot yet).
Toe Loop + Toe Loop
Salchow
Salchow + Toe Loop
Salchow + Loop
Loop by itself (pretending to do the three turn on two feet and keeping the free foot down until I turn enough to take-off is making my loop cleaner)
Lutz (all the way around with slight touch down- why is the Lutz easier for me than the Loop?)
Ran through my Fiesta Tango twice.
Ran through 2 thirds of my Swing Dance twice (starting to remember the steps after the Mohawk better - note I start where the steps go forward and not at the right place because I wanted to encourage myself and learn the dance faster.)

Intermediate Ice:
Did nothing but dance and skills.

First started out with practicing my Fiesta Tango.
Actually was working a bit with my coach but only for a minute. I let my friend who needed the help more have my coach for the Fiesta because she needed it more.
The Fiesta music played about 3 times for my friend and I while we were practicing.
I was right on the money with the beat and rhythm and covered the ice well. Only thing I don't know is if I have deep enough edges.
I even danced around on the Fiesta with my invisable partner pretending to hold hands and switch hand holds when I changed from forwards to backwards and backwards to forwards. That made me work on my posture and balance while partnering.

Then my friend and I worked on our Preliminary Skills together helping each other with our bad directions. My friend skates CW and has an easy time with LFI Mohawks, LFI 3s and RFO 3s. I have an easy time with RFI Mohawks, RFI 3s and LFO 3s. So I led the first half of the Mohawk exercise and my friend then lead the second half. The Three Turn exercise was hilarious because at the beginning we both forgot what edge, foot and direction to do after the first three turn. We spent about 5 minutes stepping onto the wrong edge before we finally looked at my diagram that I had at the boards. Once we had that figured out, the rest was much better. LOL Da! Then it was time to go.

After skating with my friend, who came out to my Spring Skating School because her's doesn't have Friday ice, we went out to dinner together before I drove her over to another of our friends apartment. It's always great to skate together with your friends and then even better to go out afterwards with them.

Isk8NYC
05-16-2009, 04:28 PM
Boo Hoo: arrived at the rink to teach with no skates.
Whoo Hoo: I'm a better skater than I thought - I was able to get off the wall in the flat, edgeless rentals and teach a turns, bunny hops, a circular step sequence and stroking. I could even hold a one-foot glide, but I didn't change any edges, lol.

katz in boots
05-17-2009, 03:32 AM
Woo-Hoo
I've had a good weekend. Lessons focussing on dance at the moment, as am only competing solo dance in the upcoming comp, then testing the next day.
Watching a dvd of national solo dance (Australian) gave me one of those :idea: moments, when I suddenly understood how to do the mohawk in Fiesta Tango. Consequently doing that with coach partnering was heaps better.

Spins were pretty good this weekend, apart from camel, though I did manage a couple of decent ones. Backspins rocked !!!!

Jumps were pretty good too. I finally found the moment to jump on waltz jumps, which I lost about a year ago when I switched to Proflex and an 8' rocker. It's been a long time coming. Oddly all my jumps were better as a result (yes!)

Boo-Hoo ?

Nothing, for once. :lol:

SkatEn
05-17-2009, 06:02 AM
Whoo Hoo: I'm a better skater than I thought - I was able to get off the wall in the flat, edgeless rentals and teach a turns, bunny hops, a circular step sequence and stroking. I could even hold a one-foot glide, but I didn't change any edges, lol.

:lol: I remember times when I was already at the train station and then thought, where the hell are my skates!!!

Haha. At least you can skate in rentals! I won't want to touch rentals. But desperate times call for desperate measures!

Bill_S
05-17-2009, 12:23 PM

Heh.. that's something I'd do!

I once showed up at the roller rink with my ice skates instead of my PIC skates.

Let's call these "Ginkgo Biloba moments" instead of "senior moments" :lol:.

Skittl1321
05-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Woo Hoo Had a pretty good overall skating week. My everything has been hurting again so I did 2 30 minute practices instead of 2 one hour practices.

Boo Hoo Videoed my sit spin (see youtube). Despite positive comments from both of my instructors, I'm not sitting :(

Kim to the Max
05-17-2009, 02:52 PM
Boo Hoo!!!

My skates are being repaired!! Which means no skating tonight and no skating tomorrow. I am hoping to have my skates back by Tuesday for my lesson.

My top hook I tie (I only tie the first 3 hooks...leaving the top hook untied) on the left inside and right outside looked like they were starting to pull out, so my skate person was looking at them...they were supposed to call me yesterday, but didn't, and they are closed Sunday and Monday, so I'm hoping that the owner will call me either tomorrow or Tuesday...if I don't hear from her, I will call her on Tuesday morning seeing as I have meetings all afternoon and she is only open until 3... BOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Just when things were getting good with my axel :(

phoenix
05-17-2009, 03:36 PM
Woo Hoo! Back on the ice full force now, having had a nice rest since AN. No lesson this week, but finished learning Tango Romantica on my own, w/ the book & watching videos. It's fun!! And not as hard as I'd have thought (though of course I'm just walking through it).

Also did some great exercises (hard!) to work on extension and knee bend, which is my inspiration to improve from watching the other skaters at AN. I wish I skated w/ high level dancers on a regular basis--it really does help to see exactly what you're aiming for.

Then worked on Starlight trying to incorporate those things, which I think was somewhat successful. I need to start video taping myself more.

mdvask8r
05-17-2009, 08:59 PM
Re forgotten skates:

Adult Masters synchro team - the only male skater on the team forgot his skates and did the entire practice in rentals. BRAVE man. He did sooo much better than I would have.

Thin-Ice
05-18-2009, 03:23 AM
dbny: I wish I could have music during a moves test. Even better -played over the sound system to cover the sound of my scraping blades!!

There's nothing in the USFS rulebook that forbids music during MIF tests. At one rink that is now unfortunately closed, the skating director had a student who failed her Preliminary MIF 3 times. She finally asked the student "Why do you skate your practices so well (the kid was already working on Pre-Juve and Juve MIF) but you can't seem to do them when the judges are looking. The kid said something like "I don't mind the judges, but it's just so QUIET when I'm testing and it echoes." After that, the skating director would put on Enya-type music (nothing with a specific beat or loud drums) -- played rather softly -- for all the MIF tests, unless a skater specifically asked to not have it played.. and the test schedule would be shifted so there wasn't the sense of "music on" and "music off". I tested with the music on.. and apparently one of the judges didn't like the music and called me over partway through the test and asked "Is that music bothering you?" I thought the music helped calm me so I just said "What music?". :lol: He didn't really have any reason to ask for the music to be shut off, so they left it on.

Skate@Delaware
05-18-2009, 11:12 AM
boo-hoo: was going to skate today, but won't be able to until (maybe) tonight at freestyle because I let my girlfriend's daughter color my hair and now I have to go get it corrected 8O it isn't that bad but it looks like i did it (which I guess is bad) and very much lighter than I would have chosen (at least not pink/purple/blue etc).

And my girlfriend gave me some $$$ to compensate. Poor girl, she is trying to pass her test for her license but I'm afraid she has a long, long, long way to go!

singerskates
05-18-2009, 11:57 AM
boo-hoo: was going to skate today, but won't be able to until (maybe) tonight at freestyle because I let my girlfriend's daughter color my hair and now I have to go get it corrected 8O it isn't that bad but it looks like i did it (which I guess is bad) and very much lighter than I would have chosen (at least not pink/purple/blue etc).

And my girlfriend gave me some $$$ to compensate. Poor girl, she is trying to pass her test for her license but I'm afraid she has a long, long, long way to go!

Visions of the musical Grease with the beauty shop scene.

chowskates
05-18-2009, 12:08 PM

LOL good for you!

A skater I know stopped skating for months, and when I finally saw him back at the rink, he was in rentals - and landing his double Sal... :bow:

Skate@Delaware
05-18-2009, 03:25 PM
Visions of the musical Grease with the beauty shop scene.

beauty school drop-out!......I'm going skating tonight at the freestyle session (after dance class); where I will work on some jumps (like the toe-loop and loop).

BatikatII
05-18-2009, 05:13 PM
Back on the ice after a lovely holiday on the isle of Mull, looking for otters, sea eagles and puffins......
Boo-hoo
Did not start too well as within seconds of getting on the ice, my blade was stopped dead by a patch of dirty ice and I fell on the wet ice - urrgghh! No damage fortunately.

Woo-hoo
Pleased with my forward one foot slaloms which were getting that lovely crunching sound (as opposed to toe-pick scrapey sound!)

More or less remembered the steps for first part of couples free dance and coach has now added a few more seconds worth of choreography which was fine til she got to the rocker in hold. 8O Think that will take some practice. More tomorrow and we still have to add a lift(!) and spin.

Kim to the Max
05-18-2009, 05:59 PM
Woo Hoo!

Got my skates back, the hook isn't fixed, but I will take them in while I am on vacation...

Spins were right on today :) Layback was a little wonky for a foew, but overall, they were good :)

Boo Hoo!

All of the progress I had made on my axel on Thursday, seems to have left me and I'm back to where I was :( I am so frustrated with this jump! :frus: I am so close, yet I can't seem to seal the deal... ugh!

Skate@Delaware
05-18-2009, 09:14 PM
Boo-Hoo: didn't have dance class tonight, as there was a book fair at the school and the gym was given to that.

Woo-Hoo: so, since I was in the same town, I decided to hit the rink and skate show practice, and got added to two numbers and managed to add 1 hour of skating practice (well, show practice counts). Since I dance, I helped with some arm artistry for the Arabian number-it was cool and a bit funny, one of the girls told the director (who was choreographing) that I belly dance and he thought she said ballet (I get that all the time)...so the girl said, "no-kootchie-belly-dance!!!!" his reaction was hilarious! I think he was slightly embarassed to have mixed it up but eh, whatever.

Boo-Hoo: freestyle session followed and my spins were on vacation. could not change-foot without traveling more than 4+ foot PLUS they were terrible! I'm not surprised, I had a bad migraine last week and it really knocked me.

Woo-Hoo: Ok, thanks to the wonders of modern technology and the help of internet friends, I used AudryB's loop exercise (yay!) again and managed to 2-foot 2 loops and actually land ONE! Yay! Then, her tip on keeping my left arm in front really helped me when I worked on my toe-loops! I actually felt they were more improved and more vaulty less waltzy! THANKS!!!!

Boo-Hoo: I was very tired when I got off the ice and my left glute/hamstring felt really tight. I hope it's ok tomorrow for yoga and my workout!

antmanb
05-19-2009, 07:29 AM
Woo-hoo: Thursday night's practice went well. I've decided to start keeping a skating diary so i can write in advance what i want to work on and then after the session write up how I did. Lesson was spent mostly on jumps. Having decided that i have to go back to a RFI three turn for the entry to the loop I started landing lots of them, some even got a little pop out of them. When i tried waltz-loop i was landing the loop a little forwards, but coach was please when i did two loops just from a backward glide.

The best new ever though is that I finally (after something like 18 months) landed a flip on one foot and it took off correctly - no edge pulling round and past the pick! I landed one more in my lesson and two more on my own.

Boo-hoo: Practice on saturday at the other rink was less successful,. very to-y landing on the loops i tried and i didn't manage to get any flips on one foot :( but the take off's were all good.

Ant

blue111moon
05-19-2009, 07:48 AM
Woo-hoo: worked choreography on the solo free dance again. It's coming along. Slowly. I had the blades sharpened on Saturday and the boots punched out to ease the pressure on my sugical scar and tendon and it was amazing how much better things felt.

Boo-Hoo: I'm still thinking so hard about what I'm doing that I can concentrate on how it looks. And I'm chasing the music instead of skating with it.

Also, apparently I violated some unwritten rule last week and now I find out that playing dance music on a freestyle session is forbidden. Mind you, I can do the dances without music, along with the skaters doing moves and the hockey boys doing drills between and around the free skaters (it's obviously not JUST a freestyle session). I just can't play the music. It's not what I was told before I agreed to come to that rink while mine was closed but changing rules mid-stream is pretty much the norm for this place. It's not my home rink so I can't do anything other than go along with it but it is one of the resaons why I usually avoid this particular rink.:giveup:

PinkLaces
05-20-2009, 12:16 AM
5/16

Wohoo: Toe loops more toe loop than waltz toe - yay! Used a tip on the sit spin that another adult skater gave me and it worked! My sits were centered and got about 4-5 revs. It felt lower, but no way to be certain.

Boohoo: Backspins - I'm doing this weird weight transfer thing were I ground to a dead halt after 2-3 revs. Loop - fell on both knees. Didn't hurt until I got up. Was stiff the rest of the session.