View Full Version : Forward inside counters

kateskate
05-05-2009, 04:19 PM
I have a real mental block over forward inside counters. I know what I am supposed to do but I just cannot seem to actually do it. I either go far too flat on the FI and do a massive change of edge before turning, or go too steep and fall back off it or jump the turn.

I am trying to end up with my free leg tucked behind like a BI before a spin but I have also tried them 'figures style' with the free leg held in front after the turn. Neither seem to work that well.

Any tips or words of wisdom gratefully received.

Ellyn
05-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Forward inside are the only counters I can really do at all, and not well.

One trick that was told to me about them is to go into the turn as if it were a bracket, and then don't check the exit.

Thinking . . . I definitely start the turn with the free leg forward and bring it behind during the turn. I *think* I just leave it there on the exit.

flo
05-05-2009, 05:47 PM
I really like counters. Try making them smaller, but with more of a curve, and of course, bend that knee!

rsk8d
05-05-2009, 09:10 PM
Try getting a hold of the PSA moves in the field video. There are good teaching tips. You want to move the foot in a quick scissor like motion. If the motion is too slow, you will easily change the edge. Start by standing at the side of the boards and practice the 'scissors,' then work your way onto the pattern. Also evaluate your arm and shoulder position, as it is very easy to block yourself with one of your shoulders.

CoachPA
05-06-2009, 11:19 AM
One trick that was told to me about them is to go into the turn as if it were a bracket, and then don't check the exit.

Think of the forward inside counters as entering like a bracket and exiting like a three-turn. For instance, a RFI counter would enter from a RFI edge with a bracket-like entrance and exit with a three-turn-like exit with no change of edge at the top of the turn (so, RFI edge to RBI edge).

When doing backward inside counters, that's when you enter with a bracket-like entrance and exit with a three-turn-like exit. Again, there's no change of edge at the top of these turns, so you'd be going from a RBI edge to a RFI edge, for example.

vesperholly
05-06-2009, 02:00 PM
For instance, a RFI counter would enter from a RFI edge with a three-turn-like entrance and exit with a bracket-like exit with no change of edge at the top of the turn (so, RFI edge to RBI edge).
But if you entered a RFI counter like a three-turn, wouldn't that make it a RFI rocker? The RFI counter entrance needs to be counter-rotated, like an RFI bracket - left side in front, turning clockwise against the edge. Going into it like a three-turn would mean left side in back and turning counterclockwise with the edge, and if you went RFI to RBI rotating CCW, that would be a rocker.

CoachPA
05-06-2009, 09:05 PM
But if you entered a RFI counter like a three-turn, wouldn't that make it a RFI rocker? The RFI counter entrance needs to be counter-rotated, like an RFI bracket - left side in front, turning clockwise against the edge. Going into it like a three-turn would mean left side in back and turning counterclockwise with the edge, and if you went RFI to RBI rotating CCW, that would be a rocker.

Ah, yes! 8O You are correct! I must have had a massive brain fart there, which is awful considering counters is all I've been teaching lately. Too many turn descriptions, I suppose! :lol:

That's one of the major differences between counters and rockers: the entrance/exit rotation.