View Full Version : Slipping or Sliding Practices 5/4 - 5/10/2009

Isk8NYC
05-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Starting tomorrow's practice thread today!

AgnesNitt
05-03-2009, 09:00 PM
The Big Guy and I went to 10 am freestyle. Zamboni is broke so no cuts since noon yesterday.
We all stood staring at the snow, then went to breakfast.

Skate@Delaware
05-04-2009, 07:20 AM
little rant:
Just dowloaded May's schedules (public/freestyle) and BOTH daytime publics are GONE!!!! those were my cheapie skates....the manager said they were under-attended. So far, the afternoon public is still on but that puts a dent into my schedule. Man!

PinkLaces
05-04-2009, 10:43 PM
little rant:
Just dowloaded May's schedules (public/freestyle) and BOTH daytime publics are GONE!!!! those were my cheapie skates....the manager said they were under-attended. So far, the afternoon public is still on but that puts a dent into my schedule. Man!

That bites! There was no open ice last week due to the Ice Show this past weekend. The week before I was traveling so I couldn't skate.

The good news is that my skating wasn't as bad as I feared it would be after having 2 weeks off. I'm testing Adult Pre-Bronze Moves & Free skate on Saturday. I'm soooooooooooo nervous. Hopefully, I will feel better as about it as the week goes on.

Mrs Redboots
05-05-2009, 07:23 AM
Slipping: As always before competition, our Willow Waltz. Ah well... it will either come back or it won't. As the coach said, you know the steps of all your dances now, it's about posture and extension and eye-line. Sigh.:frus:

alliegator66
05-05-2009, 11:03 AM
Sliding: on my tushy all over the place yesterday. At one point, I was able to do a tiny axel-y type thing. I'm trying to get it back, but fall on every attempt! Sigh...

Slipping: spins, especially camel. I'm just having a really rotten spin week.

SkatEn
05-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Slipping V Sliding: Which is better?

I'll make a guess.

Slipping:
My right blades are almost doomed. All screws for the right front plate are now put in. If it persists to be wobbly, I'll have to find someone to plug and re-seal the boot, which means long time off the ice!
RO still feels bad.

Sliding:
I'm not falling enough, seriously. Can't remember when I fell except for waltz-backspin.

Slipping grasp:
Coach saw my prac said flip's better, axel prep looked good, just keep working. Adult skater said I improved from the last time she saw me.
Me? I say I don't feel like a good skater.

Suddenly feel like I don't deserve to be on the ice.:o

singerskates
05-05-2009, 11:24 AM
How appropriate this week's practice title is!

Monday
Slipping:
The ice was hard because of the city strike and the guys who are filling in not knowing how to get figure skating ice.
As soon as I got on the ice, I was slipping on the easiest of things. Time to get the blades sharpened again. Hadn't sharpened my blades since 3 week of March just before my competition in Toronto; Max Gould.
Tried Layback. Was too nervous to lean my head back in the spin because of my herniated discs in my upperback.

Sliding:
After coach took his stone to touch up my blades, I was able to grip the ice again but not all that great.
Camel spin is making progress and is near 2 revs even though I still have to fight gravity and keep my upper body from flying out of the circle. LOL Just a bit more practice and I'll have this back.
Forward Upright and corkscrew spins are easily getting 10+ revs.
Waltz
Waltz + Loop is making progress on the Waltz landing with free leg staying crossed in front causing me to get more and better rotation on the Loop. Just about had a clean landing on the Loop in the combo.
Salchow
Salchow + Loop was mostly happening but I still need to keep my freeleg in front a tad longer on the Salchow landing.
Toe Loop + Toe Loop
Flip from a LFO 3 for test has quick rotation and just a small touch down. Just need to get my landing knee to bend more in the landing and I will have a clean Flip
Spirals were OK

Rode my bike to skating and then after rode my bike half way across town to get my blades shapened at Brian's Custom Proshop here in Windsor.

Skate@Delaware
05-05-2009, 06:53 PM
All I can think about is that song "slip sliding away"......not sure who sings it....sr. moment

Ok, so I went to the ONLY public session today and it actually was not bad (trying to stay positive about things). There were mostly figure skaters practicing and one couple just skating around holding hands (teens) and one hockey boy about 8 years old who COULD SKATE!!!

I went through everything that I had to work on (hehehe except sit spins). Funny how it takes MOST of the session before I can manage to do a decent backspin. I don't know why. forget the loop tho. Still not doing the right thing with that. Worked on some toe-loops and they were nice. Then I worked with some skaters doing 3-turns. that was fun, as I miss teaching.

I think we will work on sit spins tomorrow night in lesson, my back still hurts and I don't know what to do about that. I can move it but I give up with that. guess I'll suck it up. It might be from all the sitting I've done these past 2 weeks, studying for my finals (which I passed).

I'm done with this semester, now I can get seriously back in shape.

londonicechamp
05-05-2009, 07:26 PM
Hi Skate@Delaware

So glad to know that you have passed your finals. :)

Now you have the rest of the summer, 3 months at least, to get in shape.

londonicechamp

singerskates
05-05-2009, 11:11 PM
Tuesday
Slipping:
It took me half of my session before I could get my skates dull enough to stop at all. Although I couldn't stop my favourite way to stop (one footed sideways show stop).
Because my blades were gripping a bit too much I didn't touch freeskating.

Sliding:
Junior Bronze Swing Dance - got half of the dance memorized now; forward part is easy. Now to work on the backward 4 count swing rolls. Backwards swing rolls have got me confused because I keep putting my freeleg in the wrong starting position. LOL Will change that soon.
Fiesta Tango - pretty darn good.
Power pulls forward and backwards.
Won't have to dull up the blades anymore that I could finally stop by the very end of the session. I really needed the sharpening too.

liz_on_ice
05-06-2009, 08:48 AM
sliding - program runthrough, put in the new elements I've been working on and it comes together nicely. Jumps were on today. I did a few nice loops.

slipping - spins were bleah, coach complained my spiral hasn't improved in ages, so we worked on that a bit. I'm also looking really lame getting up from my lunge.

CanadianAdult
05-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Flip from a LFO 3 for test

When do you test?

I should know this, but what's the spin elements for preliminary FS? sit, camel and backspin - do you do an upright? I failed the camel (and would still fail the camel ;) )

aussieskater
05-06-2009, 05:04 PM
It might be from all the sitting I've done these past 2 weeks, studying for my finals (which I passed).

Congrats, Skate@Delaware! How much longer till you finish your course (nursing, isn't it?)

Skate@Delaware
05-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Hi Skate@Delaware

So glad to know that you have passed your finals. :)

Now you have the rest of the summer, 3 months at least, to get in shape.

londonicechamp
Thanks! I like to hit the gym pretty intense over the summer and stay in shape. At my age, you have to keep on top of it instead of letting everything go because it's much harder getting it back. Since my injury I have had to fight twice as hard to get back in shape.

Congrats, Skate@Delaware! How much longer till you finish your course (nursing, isn't it?)
Yes, it's nursing. Once I'm accepting into the nursing program, it takes 2 years to complete the program. I only have core nursing to complete, as I already have all the other courses completed from a previous A.A.S. degree. I expect to get accepted either this fall or next spring (next spring is more probable tho). It might seem like I have tons of free time (like for skating) but I still dance and do other things as well...busy, busy, busy!!!

Slipping & Sliding:
Well, we did crossovers, and coach said it shows that I have been working on them, BUT she wants my feet closer.

Then it was change-foot spins and they are sloooowly coming along. Ha, Ha, I almost got all tangled up between the heel of my blade and my laces, she said I need to open up a bit more to prevent that from happening.

Waltz jump still need to keep from pre-rotating...keep it solid.

Hit back 3's tonight and they weren't as scary as last time. They were pretty good. So, did a FI3, then a back 3, mohawk, except I kept forgetting the mohawk (I was just so excited I could do the back 3).

Loop...what can I say? Still fighting that jump. Landing on the wrong foot. I am finally getting enough rotation, and usually enough height. Landing on the wrong foot. Old habits die hard. Stupid!!!!!! :frus:

CoachPA
05-06-2009, 09:20 PM
When do you test?

I should know this, but what's the spin elements for preliminary FS? sit, camel and backspin - do you do an upright? I failed the camel (and would still fail the camel ;) )

I don't have my rulebook in front of me and it's been a while since any of my skaters tested this level, but if I remember, Preliminary freeskate elements include:

Jumps
1. Waltz jump
2. Salchow
3. Loop
4. Flip
5. One jump combo. consisting of a single toe loop and one of the jumps listed above (no turn or change of foot between jumps)

Spins
1. One-foot backspin (min. 3 revolutions) - entry optional
2. Sit spin - in recognizable sit position (min. of 3 revolutions)

CanadianAdult
05-07-2009, 09:21 AM
Thanks. I went and looked, those are indeed the jumps plus a bunny hop and there are the 4 spins, forward, back, sit and camel. Since Skate Canada is surveying for LTAD in regards to creating a pre-preliminary test, I couldn't remember what was on the preliminary test.

Slipping:

Haven't been on the ice for a while so nothing to report.

Sliding:

It's given me a chance to recover from some injuries. Sometimes, downtime is good.

Thin-Ice
05-07-2009, 09:35 AM
All I can think about is that song "slip sliding away"......not sure who sings it....sr. moment

Paul Simon wrote and performed it. (From the file labeled: "Useless information stuck in my brain". Why can't I remember the important stuff.. like footwork sequences my coach comes up with?

CoachPA
05-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Thanks. I went and looked, those are indeed the jumps plus a bunny hop and there are the 4 spins, forward, back, sit and camel. Since Skate Canada is surveying for LTAD in regards to creating a pre-preliminary test, I couldn't remember what was on the preliminary test.

Ahhh, I didn't realize you were in Canada. That would explain why you have the camel spin and bunny hop.

Isk8NYC
05-07-2009, 10:55 AM
40 minutes more and I can go skate! Almost done with my work for the week.

Morgail
05-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Coach saw my prac said flip's better, axel prep looked good, just keep working. Adult skater said I improved from the last time she saw me.
Me? I say I don't feel like a good skater.
Suddenly feel like I don't deserve to be on the ice.:o

Don't feel too badly. Every skater has days when they feel that way. Sometimes, we aren't the best judges of our own skating. Listen to the great compliments you got, instead! :)

As for me...

Slipping:
-axel. It frustrates me. It wasn't bad - I just feel like I'm stuck on it.
-Still can't get rid of the dizzies fast enough in my program to get from my sit-backsit to my footwork. I'm sure I look like I'm trying to do footwork after I've had a little too much to drink!
-Camel-sit was slow. I need more oomph into the sit.
-I am nominating stag jump to replace the half loop as Most Awkward Jump Ever.

Sliding:
-Back camel. Hello!! Where has it been hiding all this time? Suddenly, I could do more than two revolutions, and with some speed! :)
-Other spins, including camel-back camel and flying camel, were good.
-lutz and lutz-loop were very strong.

ibreakhearts66
05-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Sliding
-In the past 3 days that I've really been back on the ice, I've had FOUR people tell me how much I've improved! First was my main coach on Monday. It was the end of my lesson and my first day jumping again. I didn't even feel like my lesson went that well, but she looked at me dead in the eye and went, "You know, Sarah, you're getting good. No, I mean, you're getting really good." Then she went to another coach and said, "Isn't Sarah getting good?" This was probably the best compliment I've ever gotten. Then, the next day, I was skating with my friend and SHE told me how much I'd improved, that my wrap was gone and that my double toe was absolutely beautiful. Then YESTERDAY, a man who I'd spoken to a couple of times came up to me and said, "I've been gone for a month, and you've really, really improved." Finally, a highly critical older skater came up to me and said, "You know, I think that time off actually helped you, your skating has gotten much better!"

It's like, I was off for around 2 weeks because of the hospital and aftermath, plus I was far from 100% for some time before that because I'd been feeling dizzy and faint. How could I have improved?!

Ok. Now for some actual skating. 2toes are feeling really nice. I'm also getting much better at using it in combo. I've been working 1toe+2toe, and now I can sometime land clean 2sal+2toes and 2toe+2toes.

2lutzes are off a strong outside edge.

Spins feel faster and more secure. I did a back sit that literally, did not move. I looked at the centering and couldn't believe it. It was seriously ONE circle. Laybacks feel infinitely better.

Oh I also worked on 3 of the Novice moves. We worked on the slow rocker choctaws (needs work--i can't generate much power on the step under/crossroll). We also did the counters which I quite like so far. I did take a funny fall on those, though. Coach told me to get down in my knee more when stepping from the BO counter to the forward crossroll. Fell right on my butt. TOO much knee bend. Also worked the spiral sequence which wasn't tragic but needs work. All of that still goes in sliding, though, because I like working on them.

Slipping
-Axels have been kind of funky.
-I seem to have developed a mental block on solo double loops. It used to be my favorite jump and now I find myself popping two for every one I attempt.
-Was doing a lot of unnecessary falling--sitting down on jumps that were perfectly straight and clean.
-Right ankle has flared up again. It doesn't bother me TOO much while jumping (although I'm also not working on 2axels again just yet), but a flying camel attempt left me on the ice, dizzy with pain.
-Wont be restesting Intermediate again until June 20th :( I planned on May 16th, but coach said no after the hospital. Also had to withdraw from competition, which would've been this Saturday. I feel like I could still have gone for Int moves on thr 16th, but nope. Oh well. Minor setback.

dbny
05-07-2009, 05:33 PM
It's like, I was off for around 2 weeks because of the hospital and aftermath, plus I was far from 100% for some time before that because I'd been feeling dizzy and faint. How could I have improved?!

This kind of thing always puzzles me too, but it is a very real phenomenon. Sometimes you just need a break for your brain & body to put it all together the right way. I had a similar thing happen today.

Sliding:
After a week of no practice at all, and about 4 hrs sleep last night, I got on the ice today to teach for an hour before my dance lesson, and immediately felt very into the ice. I went right into F stroking and FXO's, which usually require warm up first, and directly into F power stroking from there with no stop - very unusual for me. Then I taught the bunny hop to an adult skater, for whom I had to demo quite a few times. Had to demo CCW one foot spins in a lesson with a teenager, and they were all very good. I even explained while spinning. In my ice dance lesson, we did the Dutch Waltz twice, and I got "very good" both times and a compliment on having a firm kilian hold, then the Canasta Tango twice with more "very goods". The Rhythm Blues needed a bit of work, and when I said that of course, since I had done it much less, my coach reminded me that we had hardly worked on the Canasta Tango, and said it came to me naturally 8O. Nothing I have ever done in skating has come to me naturally. I said that at last I felt that I was skating, and my coach told me that another coach (also ice dancer) had commented to him last week about how much better I had gotten. Bolstered by all this positive input, I suggested we try the Fiesta Tango, which I know, but fear. I got a "not so bad for the first time" on the end pattern, which is the hard part.

Slipping:
"Not so bad for the first time" really means I am a total chicken on the mohawk and can't check it myself, and that I need to get way lower in the knees on the B progressives.

LilJen
05-07-2009, 07:14 PM
Not sure which is supposed to be good, slipping or sliding? Both sound kind of bad unless you're on a sled. . .

Anyhow:
-Good practice & lesson yesterday, although my spin lesson had to be cancelled. We worked on FS again--backspin is (amazingly and unexpectedly) coming along. Salchow just needed a tweak (I was jutting my skating hip out and thus locking things up), toe loop went OK and waltz-toe is getting there.
-Fiesta Tango just needs some more power through the end pattern, I think. Dance buddy's suggestion from last week regarding where I was looking during the mohawk works like a CHARM!! MUCH steadier.
-I still don't "get" the intro steps and end patterns on Swing. Not all clear on where the lobes are going and such, even though i have the dang pattern right in front of my face!
-Coach hadn't heard anything yet about moves changes & dates of implementation (I told her all the stuff I'd read here, including the apparent changes being implemented in Sept 2010, not 2009). . . she said, "well, if things are going to change [because nothing had been confirmed for her], let's shoot for testing Silver moves at the end of the summer." I replied, "Geez, I don't think that's very realistic." She said, nothing lost by trying. True, I suppose. Back 3s are coming along, fwd cross strokes too, but my slaloms have ZERO power and slow to a crawl, back cross strokes are jerky and hesitant, and we haven't even started the 8-step.

Skate@Delaware
05-08-2009, 08:43 PM
Did show practice and some choreography was done. We have some interesting moves, nothing real low level but AT our level! I shudder to think that in past shows I've been in, many times we ended up doing waist-trains around the rink.

Had my 2nd week of group "academy" classes. We did back edges, and mine were really bad. I need to work on them more. Again, touched on the canasta tango. Then it was spinning, and tonight was not a spinning night. Worked a bit on backspins, but the group instructor's advice was nothing my body wanted to do so I just plucked along.

The best part was the last-jumps! We did waltz jumps and this instructor explained a few things about the waltz jump, then we did some more. From there we moved on to the toe-loop then he explained the difference between the toe-waltz and the toe-loop. Very interesting! Would have been nice to have had more time, but the session had ended at that point. He did comment that I had nice "spring" on both my waltz and toe-loop. That was nice to hear. I'm hoping that my toe-loop is more of a toe-loop and not a toe-waltz! I'll have to video it and analyze it.

AgnesNitt
05-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Slipping Still no power on my strikes. Yet another lecture from coach that I need to push 'down into zee ize, not across zee ise' for the strike.

Sliding
My radical new blade setting is amazing. D&%*! I never knew skating could be so much fun.
I can now do mohawks at speed! Those little two foot turns at speed! I can do a consistent controlled check out of my FO3s (okay, I still can't control where I'm going, but I'm on one foot going backwards)! I can do backward edges without falling on my toepicks! I never could before because my pronation was so bad that I never was secure on my blades. Even my T-stops (which were always lovely) have become these shreddin' awesome stop on a dime things.

Slippin So of course I have three years of bad habits to over come from positioning my body to correct for the old blade setting. Hey, if it was easy, we wouldn't have coaches!

kander
05-08-2009, 11:57 PM
Slipping: I seem to be getting noticeably slower and it takes more energy to do the same things. My loop is completely gonzo, my salchow and toeloop are inconsistent.

Sliding: In a lesson situation I came within an eyelash of waxeling. Normally that wouldn't go in the "good" column except a couple tries later I landed a big one. Talk about overcoming fear 8O. Looking at the marks on the ice, Coach said I jumped 10 feet although it looked more like 6-7 to me. Either way, it was sweet. I did another one about a week ago that made a hockey player who was nearby make a noise. If I can get hockey players to make noises I must be doing something right.

singerskates
05-09-2009, 02:46 PM
When do you test?

I test sometime by the end of spring skating (May). Boy it's getting close.

Prelim Element Test
Prelim Test Spins required are; forward upright (can be forward Corkscrew), Forward Sit, Upright Backspin and Forward Camel.
Prelim Test Jumps; Bunny Hop, Waltz Jump, Salchow, Loop, Flip & Toe Loop + Toe Loop Combo
Prelim Moves; Forward CW Spiral & Forward CCW Spiral
Forward Perimeter Stroking with Crosscuts on ends.
Backward Perimeter Stroking with Crosscuts on ends.

Prelim FS Program Test
Program to instrumental music of either 1:30 +/- 10 secs or 2min +/- 10 secs (I'm doing the 2 minute option).
Program must have 3 different types of full rotation single jumps, at least 2 different type of spins and connecting moves.

My FS program currently has;
4 jumping passes (Salchow + Toe, Split + Flip + Toe, Loop or Lutz (which ever is going to be better come test time) and Salchow or Flip (which ever I feel fits better come test day). I am not including a Waltz jump as one of my 4 jumping passes so that I have a chance of getting at least 3 full rotation jumps clean and counted.
2 spins; upright Forward Corkscrew in test (out of test I do variations in upright along with basic and am working on increasing rotations in change of direction;CCW forward to CW forward) and Forward Sit (out of test with broken position and other variations)
Sprial Sequence; Right Forward Inside Spiral, RFO Spiral then LBI Spiral (out of test I'm working to get back RFI ce to RFO and LBI Spiral again).
Connecting steps and turns including crosscuts, stroking, 3s, Mohawks, Counters and Loops. I'm also working on doing a Salchow or Flip out of a LBI spiral without added steps.

I've also been just for the heck of it, adding Loops on the end of Waltz jumps, Toe Loops, Salchows and Loops. Sometimes, not very often, it works out.

dbny
05-09-2009, 04:57 PM
Sliding:
Felt great when I got on the ice today before my lesson. Started right in with F stroking, FXO's around the end and then surprised myself with F power pulls down the other side! Did three or four very nice one foot spins from T pushes, more power pulls, FO and FI eights, and just some fun playing around with cross strokes, three turns, etc. to the music which happened to have a good beat. Ran thru the Rhythym Blues a few times. Did waltz threes in my lesson, and got the rotation under control, so they really smoothed out and I didn't feel like I was going to fly off into space on them. Then asked coach to help me with the Fiesta Tango end pattern, specifically the mohawk. Really surprised myself by checking the very first one, upon which she said "what were we just working on?" Duh, a check, is a check, is a check. So, the RFI mohawks are much improved by my work on the waltz threes.

Slipping:
It was a beautifully empty session spoiled only by the totaly clueless skate guard who, skating with his head down, nearly ran me over 8O! He did apologize, when I yelled at him (to avoid a collision).

Tried to work on LFI mohawks but they put quite a strain on something I pulled near my groin on the R side, and it is now worse. Very painful to raise my R leg in a forward position (like you do when putting on pants). It's a little better this morning, but I've got to be careful with it.

Evidently, I wore myself out a bit in my warm up, because I could not spin to save my life. My middle just turned to jelly at some point in my lesson, and that was that.

phoenix
05-09-2009, 06:19 PM
Had my first lesson yesterday since ANs & told coach I just wanted to play & have fun. So he started teaching me the steps to the Tango Romantica! What a hoot. We got about 2/3 through, so hopefully next week we'll finish it. I just really feel like playing for a month or so before getting serious about alllll the things that need work.

Skate@Delaware
05-09-2009, 09:48 PM
Just uploaded a new (ok not so new, but I've finally got it put on the computer) practice video of my loop jump and some backspins.
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HATLmHMZL_4 )

and while going painstakingly slooowly thru the video I noticed that I'm dropping my arms DOWN before I jump the loop. I never noticed myself doing this before. I know I could roll off my toepick more for that POP and I think if I do that I'll have that jump.

I know my backspin is crap.

Just my thoughts for the night. If anyone has anything to add, I'm up for it.

Ivana27
05-09-2009, 10:35 PM
Slipping - All my spins (scratch, back, sit, camel) are a struggle. I can't seem to hang on to those rotations .... although forward scratch is much better than the rest.

Sliding - Landed three lutz jumps today! I've been working on this jump for about a month, and I think I finally have it! Now to make it consistent. Freestyle session was nice and empty today -- only two other skaters.

PinkLaces
05-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Sliping - Dang Pre-Bronze 3 turn pattern. Why oh why is that RI 3 such a problem for me!

Sliding - Friday morning I had a day off and had a public session all to myself. Heavenly! Finally a chance to practice the full Waltz 8 with no one cutting me off. Yea!

I tested last night and passed Adult Pre-Bronze Moves and Free Skate :):):)

CoachPA
05-10-2009, 10:10 AM

Congratulations! That's wonderful! :D

Mrs Redboots
05-10-2009, 10:44 AM

Oh, wow, congratulations! Might you get your Bronze in time to go to next year's Adult Nationals (I assume you are an American citizen and thus qualify, as no other country, I think, offers an adult skating test track as yet)?

As for our practice today:

Slipping: Coaches on holiday for next fortnight. MP3 player malfunctioned. Backache.

Sliding: One of the mums said we had improved. I do hope that wasn't wishful thinking on her part!

dbny
05-10-2009, 03:33 PM

xxx CONGRATULATIONS! xxx

LilJen
05-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Sliping - Dang Pre-Bronze 3 turn pattern. Why oh why is that RI 3 such a problem for me!

Sliding - Friday morning I had a day off and had a public session all to myself. Heavenly! Finally a chance to practice the full Waltz 8 with no one cutting me off. Yea!

Congrats!!!! No more PB 3-turn pattern. . .

londonicechamp
05-10-2009, 07:53 PM
Hi Skate@Delaware

Congrats on landing your loop jump. Mine is not as good as yours, it is only about half as good, but I only started getting it last week.

Your backspin is really good. I cannot even do with my legs crossed yet. There were a couple of ones, I think 2, where the leg is at the side (like an upright) and not crossed, right? :D

londonicechamp

Thin-Ice
05-11-2009, 02:20 AM

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Now on to Bronze!

Skate@Delaware
05-11-2009, 06:41 AM
C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S ! ! ! !
Hi Skate@Delaware

Congrats on landing your loop jump. Mine is not as good as yours, it is only about half as good, but I only started getting it last week.

Your backspin is really good. I cannot even do with my legs crossed yet. There were a couple of ones, I think 2, where the leg is at the side (like an upright) and not crossed, right? :D

londonicechamp
Thanks a lot! Not sure if it's noticeable in the vids, i'm landing the loop on the wrong foot (carryover from being taught wrong).

Sometimes I can do a really good backspin (they are getting better). And yes, I'm trying to keep my free leg out a bit before I bring it in, as it helps with the centering.

Audryb
05-12-2009, 07:47 AM
Just uploaded a new (ok not so new, but I've finally got it put on the computer) practice video of my loop jump and some backspins.
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HATLmHMZL_4 )

and while going painstakingly slooowly thru the video I noticed that I'm dropping my arms DOWN before I jump the loop. I never noticed myself doing this before. I know I could roll off my toepick more for that POP and I think if I do that I'll have that jump.

I know my backspin is crap.

Just my thoughts for the night. If anyone has anything to add, I'm up for it.

I had a lesson with a really amazing jump coach a couple of months ago, and she gave me this exercise for my loop jump. I was landing the loop 2 footed and under-rotated and this helped hugely:

Push onto your entrance edge for the jump, but instead of touching the free foot down and jumping, hold the edge till it spirals all the way in and you turn around. If you do it right, you should be able to hold it till it turns into a backspin. If you can replicate that edge going into the actual jump, it will keep you over the right side and you won't land on the left foot. It really works well for me to do this exercise, then immediately do a jump, then do the exercise, then the jump, etc. Then the other thing to remember is not to open up too soon: land, THEN open to get the full rotation and keep your weight where it should be.

These two things had an instant (very positive) effect on my loop jump, I hope they help yours too.

Skate@Delaware
05-12-2009, 11:46 AM
I had a lesson with a really amazing jump coach a couple of months ago, and she gave me this exercise for my loop jump. I was landing the loop 2 footed and under-rotated and this helped hugely:

Push onto your entrance edge for the jump, but instead of touching the free foot down and jumping, hold the edge till it spirals all the way in and you turn around. If you do it right, you should be able to hold it till it turns into a backspin. If you can replicate that edge going into the actual jump, it will keep you over the right side and you won't land on the left foot. It really works well for me to do this exercise, then immediately do a jump, then do the exercise, then the jump, etc. Then the other thing to remember is not to open up too soon: land, THEN open to get the full rotation and keep your weight where it should be.

These two things had an instant (very positive) effect on my loop jump, I hope they help yours too.

oooohhh!!! THANKS!!!! I'm going skating today, so I will give this a try!!!

Skate@Delaware
05-12-2009, 05:21 PM

Just got back from skating (man am I tired!) and I have to say, this exercise ROCKED!!!!! Not only was I able to get all the way onto my right side, I kept the weight off of my left (free) foot and managed some pretty decent backspins!

Mrs Redboots
05-14-2009, 05:48 AM
Deleted by author - posted in the wrong week. Der-brain, or what?

londonicechamp
05-14-2009, 08:32 PM
Hi

Well, for wednesday night's practice session:

slipping- had to leave the ice 10 minutes earlier than planned as suddenly had a group of school children on the ice, they did not look where they were going, kept on coming into the middle where good ice skaters such as me, were practising. :cry:

sliding- managed to impress my non-skating friends with all the jumps and spins during the practice session.

For thursday night's practice session:

slipping- could not do backspin crossed yet, why does others look so easy, whilst mine took ages? 8O

sliding- managed to impress my group lesson classmate with my sit spin. She was asking me if I could do a camel spin. :bow: I said not yet, as my right foot for doing the spirals is not strong enough to do the camel spin yet.

londonicechamp