View Full Version : Will skate spinner help with my back spin?

londonicechamp
04-28-2009, 03:56 PM
Hi guys

Want to know if skate spinner will help with my back spin. I currently cannot do more than 1.5 revolutions. 8O

londonicechamp

Skate@Delaware
04-28-2009, 05:31 PM
depends...how long have you been working on backspins? how long have you been doing regular spins?

londonicechamp
04-28-2009, 05:35 PM
Hi

I have just started working on backspins about a month ago. I have done regular spins for over 4 months now, but then I skated for 7 years before, and stopped skating for 4 years due to study commitments. Just went back skating in January (09).

londonicechamp

Skate@Delaware
04-28-2009, 05:43 PM
I have used a spinner to help me with mine...if you can borrow one, see if you can do that. OR you can try spinning on linoleum in socks (pretty much the same thing). You are going for the positioning for 1-2 revolutions anyway...not setting a spin record.

If you don't have anyone to teach you how to use a spinner, it's pretty worthless, as there are special techniques to using it more effectively-anyone can whip around on one and flail around. Using it properly is harder and if you don't know what to do all it will do is frustrate you and there goes your $$$$

So, in a nutshell, yes it can help if you know how to use it.

londonicechamp
04-28-2009, 05:48 PM
Hi

But does skate spinner comes with an instruction of how you use the thing?

londonicechamp

Skate@Delaware
04-28-2009, 06:37 PM
It comes with very basic instructions. Ask your coach if he/she thinks it would help. I was lucky-my coach instructed me in positioning and use of my spinner and proper technique and additional tips (which weren't included).

Backspins will come mostly with time spent on the ice with a lot of hard work.

sk8ryellow
04-28-2009, 06:48 PM
I have a spinner and it totally helps!

londonicechamp
05-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Hi guys

Okay, as I am going back home for good shortly, to Singapore. Will probably have lessons in the rink there, so will ask the coach back at home whether skate spinner will help.

londonicechamp

Skate@Delaware
05-03-2009, 02:43 PM
If you are still thinking about it, here is a video which is very interesting to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FTdK1DpOb4&feature=related

I don't have that kind, mine is this kind:

http://www.rainbosports.com/shop/site/product.cfm/id/4AC584C0-475A-BAC0-57906E2DD06001EB

kayskate
05-05-2009, 12:32 PM
How strong was your bspin before? How strong was your forward spin before. It may just be a matter of time before they come back.

Kay (who has a spinner but does use it.)

londonicechamp
05-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Hi kayskate

Umm, my back spin not that strong really. Used to be able to do over 3 revolutions, when I was with my old skates, but then again that was over 5 years ago.

My forward upright spin and cross toe spin are quite strong at the moment. Sit spin about 3 to 4 revolutions, with an upright spin of about 3 to 4 revolutions, so not too bad.

It is just that for some unknown reason, my back spin does not seem to come back. And at the moment, I cannot get backspin for more than 1 revolution, which is annoying me. :giveup: I can do back upright spin for 3 to 4 revolutions though. Isn't that strange? 8O

londonicechamp

kateskate
05-05-2009, 04:14 PM
It is just that for some unknown reason, my back spin does not seem to come back. And at the moment, I cannot get backspin for more than 1 revolution, which is annoying me. :giveup: I can do back upright spin for 3 to 4 revolutions though. Isn't that strange? 8O

londonicechamp

I'm a bit confused - what do you mean when you say you can do 1 rev backspin but 3-4 rev back upright spin. To me a backspin and a back upright spin are the same

londonicechamp
05-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Hi kateskate

Sorry to have confused you.

Actually backspin and back upright spin are 2 different things. A back upright spin is similar to a forward upright spin, whilst a back spin must be done with your free leg (left leg) crossed. At least that is what is classed as back spin under the NISA, unless backspin is something different under the USA system. :roll:

londonicechamp

TreSk8sAZ
05-05-2009, 06:33 PM
Still confused.

In the US, a backspin is performed on one foot, that being the opposite foot from a forward spin. Meaning, a CCW skater would perform a backspin on the right foot, spinning in a CCW direction. Whether the leg is crossed or not, it is considered an upright backspin. If a spin is done on the same foot in the same manner but in a different position (sit or camel) then it would have a different name. However, simply spinning on one foot in the above manner is a simple backspin or back upright spin - to me, it's the same thing.

That being said, I'm not 100% sure what NISA rules say.

Are you calling a back upright spin one that is on two feet? Or just simply one that does not have the legs crossed?

kateskate
05-05-2009, 06:36 PM
I'm confused too. To me back upright and back spin are the same and NISA does not have a back spin and a back upright spin as two separate elements.

Are you then able to do 3-4 revs without the free foot crossed? Is that what you are saying?

Skate@Delaware
05-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Are you back/upright back spinning on the SAME leg as your regular forward scratch spin? (for clarification)

Have you GROWN since you lost your spins? (this is relevant, since a growth spurt can throw off your center-of-balance).

londonicechamp
05-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Hi guys

Umm, yes, I am able to do the spin on the left foot for 3 to 4 revolutions, without crossing the foot. I cannot do more than 1 revolution with the foot crossed though. :roll:

Hi Skate@Delaware

No I do not think that I have grown since I last was able to do my back spin, as the last time I was able to do it, I was already an adult. I may be a bit thinner now, when compared with when I learnt that spin 5 years ago. Also I was using a different pair of skates at that time. Is that relevant?

londonicechamp

Skate@Delaware
05-06-2009, 07:03 AM
Different skates could be relevent, if you switched brands; possibly more relevent if you switched blades IF the rocker is different (i.e. switching from Comets to Aces which means going from an 8.5' rocker to a 7' rocker).

Gaining and/or losing a lot of weight could be chosing your center-of-balance, or shifting from a lot of fat/muscle balance.

I think you just have to persevere and keep trying; try keeping the skating leg bent more until you find your balance before raising up. That will help to keep you off your toepick.

When you go into the spin, you should wrap your skating (left) side into your free (open right) side. Hard to explain in words...once you wrap into your right side, you should be in a better position to carry out more revolutions. Be sure you are not blocking with your shoulders...keep them in the same position as the loop jump.

This should be clear as mud, right? ;) Search the forum for other backspin advice, there is a lot and it's very useful.

londonicechamp
05-06-2009, 05:52 PM
Hi Skate@Delaware

Umm, I think that the loss of the back spin may be to do with the change of skates, as it was a different brand before. When I was able to do the back spin, I was using a Jacksons boots. Now I am using Harlick boots.

Well, never really managed to do a loop jump without the barrier before. Tried it tonight during my own practice. Seemed that my left leg is strong enough to do a loop jump now. Maybe if I keep on practising this jump, then in the end I will manage to improve my back spin too.

It probably takes ages, but it will certainly be worth it when I am able to do it.

londonicechamp

Skate@Delaware
05-06-2009, 08:27 PM
haha! I can do a loop jump, just can't land it on the proper foot (bad habit, learned incorrectly from the beginning).

Keep working on that back edge, and back 3's which will also help. I'm sure you have heard that before.