View Full Version : Need help with back spin.

londonicechamp
04-28-2009, 03:19 PM
Hi guys

At the moment, I am really struggling (kind of) with my back spin as cannot do more than 1.5 revolutions. :?? I can do a back upright spin of at least 3 revolutions though.

londonicechamp

CoachPA
04-29-2009, 09:53 AM
Here (http://skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=28188) is a pretty thorough thread on backspins. Lots of input and information there!

Also, the more descriptive you are about the issues you are having, the more we can make suggestions targeted to your problem.

londonicechamp
05-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Hi coach PA

Thanks for your reply. I think that the main problem with my back spin is my 3 turn entry before the spin. After one revolution, my mind is telling my left foot to hold in the cross foot position, whereas my left foot will automatically have the boots on the ice (i.e. landing position). Do you know what is causing my problem?

londonicechamp

N.B. I can do 1.5 revolutions of a twizzle on my left foot though.

CoachPA
05-01-2009, 05:25 PM
Hi coach PA

Thanks for your reply. I think that the main problem with my back spin is my 3 turn entry before the spin. After one revolution, my mind is telling my left foot to hold in the cross foot position, whereas my left foot will automatically have the boots on the ice (i.e. landing position). Do you know what is causing my problem?

londonicechamp

N.B. I can do 1.5 revolutions of a twizzle on my left foot though.

It sounds like you're probably dropping your free hip, especially if your feet are free foot is hitting the ice in front or still crossed. If so, focus on staying over your right side.

When you say your left foot is similar to a landing position, do you mean that you're pulling out of the spin too soon, after just one revolution?

londonicechamp
05-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Hi Coach PA

Yes, that is exactly what it is.

londonicechamp

londonicechamp
05-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Hi Coach PA

How do I make my free hip stand there and not drop too soon?

londonicechamp

CoachPA
05-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Hi Coach PA

How do I make my free hip stand there and not drop too soon?

londonicechamp

Rather than re-type everything, I'm going to repost one of my suggestions from the thread I linked you to above that covers this pretty well:

This is a fabulous exercise and one that I use religiously! You'll definitely be able to identify common errors, such as not staying over the right side or letting you left side (knee, shoulder, foot, hip, whatever) open up because you will not be able to maintain a glide in the backspin position if you are not properly aligned. (More than likely, if you're rocking up to the toe pick after one revolution or so, you are a.) not over your skating (right) side or b.) letting the left side open up.) So, not only are you learning correct balance, as Isk8NYC pointed out, but you'll be building muscle memory in the correct spinning positions.

I teach two basic positions in backspins: the "h" position and the "d" position, both of which Audrey Weisiger of the Grassroots to Champions seminars emphasizes as well. For those who are unclear as to what these positions look like, I've included my own illustration below as well as Audrey's photos with two of her students in these positions.

http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv164/PACoach/BasicHandDPositions.jpg

http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv164/PACoach/AWBasicHandDPositions.jpg

In the basic "h", the belly button is pulled slightly into the spin for a strong core. The entire free side is in front of the skating side, arms extended with the left one in front, almost as if you are holding a big beachball toward the inside of the circle. The skating leg, or the leg that you are spinning on, should be locked straight while the free leg is slightly bent at the knee and the foot slightly pigeon-toed to ensure that the free side does not open up. This position causes the body as a whole to resemble a lowercase "h".

This is the position you should begin the backspin in. This gives you time to get over the right side and to center the spin. From there, you can close down into the basic "d" position, as shown above. Again, the core is kept strong by pulling the belly button toward the spin much like the "h" position. The free leg's ankle closes (slightly pigeon-toed) over the skating foot's ankle and the free hip is slightly higher than the skating hip so that you can maintain the spin over the right side. The arms close in with the left side still in front--elbows down!

When doing the exercise that Isk8NYC mentioned, these are the two positions you want to hit. Do not try to close into the "d" position until you have achieved the correct "h" position. If you cannot hit the "h" position and continue your RBO edge glide (for instance, you are scraping the toe pick or hunching forward) you are not properly aligned and will struggle with the "d" position and the backspin. Once you are able to glide in "h", do not move anything except the free knee directly down to close into "d".

Once you feel comfortable with this exercise, attempt the actual backspin focusing on alignment and proper posture.

Hope this helps!